Barclays Center.....Your thoughts

Isles hat

E N F O R C E R
Aug 24, 2009
Suffolk County
Been there for a few Nets games. I actually love the place. Not really happy with the location though. Its far from its Long island roots. Im from Suffolk county and its a huge hike. They will certainly lose many of the long time season ticket holders. I suppose its better then a move to Canada.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
Been there for a few Nets games. I actually love the place. Not really happy with the location though. Its far from its Long island roots. Im from Suffolk county and its a huge hike. They will certainly lose many of the long time season ticket holders. I suppose its better then a move to Canada.

I have never been there. However i have heard some decent things about the place. No idea how it will hold up for a NHL game though None of us know really.We keep hearing its not made for hockey so this scares me a bit.
I recently moved to Suffolk. I used to leave a lot closer to NVMC.
Right now i go to a TON of games each season. I would guess i normally go to around 15-20 games a season. I will still follow the team and watch all of there games. However i will go to A LOT less games each season. I dont get out of work until about 5:30 each night. Then i would have to get to the train station and if i am lucky just make it before the puck drops.I also get Motion sick on the train for some reason. Driving to Brooklyn would not bother me so much but there is no way your getting from long island to Brooklyn by 7 if your leaving at 5 30 during the week.
My guess is i will go to about 3 games a season now =(

Isles hat

E N F O R C E R
Aug 24, 2009
Suffolk County
I have never been there. However i have heard some decent things about the place. No idea how it will hold up for a NHL game though None of us know really.We keep hearing its not made for hockey so this scares me a bit.
I recently moved to Suffolk. I used to leave a lot closer to NVMC.
Right now i go to a TON of games each season. I would guess i normally go to around 15-20 games a season. I will still follow the team and watch all of there games. However i will go to A LOT less games each season. I dont get out of work until about 5:30 each night. Then i would have to get to the train station and if i am lucky just make it before the puck drops.I also get Motion sick on the train for some reason. Driving to Brooklyn would not bother me so much but there is no way your getting from long island to Brooklyn by 7 if your leaving at 5 30 during the week.
My guess is i will go to about 3 games a season now =(

Well....The place itself is beautiful. The jumbotron is WAY larger then the one at NVMC. It will be the smallest arena in the NHL sadly. The seating is a bit steep . Taking the train there is the way to go. The Barclay is basically right upstairs. That area of Flatbush ave/Atlantic is pretty nice now. They really freshened the area up. Very safe as well.
I used to be a season ticket holder....No more

Add: The bathrooms are HUGE and there are many places to eat.

Last edited:

MTK

Sep 26, 2007
West Islip

I personally love the place. I do not think it is that far at all. I do live right next to the Babylon railroad and get express trains for the most part.

Hope they make the games at 7:30 though.

It is the same amount of time on a train to BK as MSG. Personally I like the area better.

I want to see how they reconfigure the arena for hockey, for some reason. I can see it be close to 16k.

My only concern of course is my tickets are going to be more money.

Isles hat

E N F O R C E R
Aug 24, 2009
Suffolk County
I personally love the place. I do not think it is that far at all. I do live right next to the Babylon railroad and get express trains for the most part.

It is the same amount of time on a train to BK as MSG. Personally I like the area better.

I want to see how they reconfigure the arena for hockey, for some reason. I can see it be close to 16k.

The place will hold 14,500 for hockey is what it says. Unless they plan on adding seats somehow. Im never a fan of new arenas. The fans always end up paying for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barclays_Center

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland

I have been there twice once for a Nets game and once for a concert and i agree it a beautiful arena. Not sure how its going to work for hockey but im just glad they are still playing in NY. They will probably lose season ticket holders from long island but im sure they will get some of these hipsters who live in Brooklyn. Bottom line is if they put a good product on the ice and they win people will show up just like they have been for the Nets.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006

7:30 starts would be a great idea. so that fans from Long island can still make it with time to spare

Isles hat

E N F O R C E R
Aug 24, 2009
Suffolk County
I have been there twice once for a Nets game and once for a concert and i agree it a beautiful arena. Not sure how its going to work for hockey but im just glad they are still playing in NY. They will probably lose season ticket holders from long island but im sure they will get some of these hipsters who live in Brooklyn. Bottom line is if they put a good product on the ice and they win people will show up just like they have been for the Nets.

Yes, they will get the local fans in the city to attend games. A good product is important. Sadly, we have not had a "good" product in years. If Wang still has the checkbook closed, it will be the same old Isles. Last place garbage.

We need Mikhail Prokhorov to buy the team. Thats when we see good things happen!

MTK

Sep 26, 2007
West Islip
The place will hold 14,500 for hockey is what it says. Unless they plan on adding seats somehow. Im never a fan of new arenas. The fans always end up paying for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barclays_Center

They plan on adding from what i know to "around" 15,500. It will not be 14,500 when the Isles move it. If it stayed at 14,500 the Isles would not be able to move there.

I am sure the number will include standing room as well.

It may be more, we have to see what they come up with for the additional seating.

Uncle Lou

Jun 20, 2010
New York
I went to a net game and loved it. Very old style feel to it and the only thing I disliked was the fact that all the concession stands and stuff are downstairs which is a pain because elevators only go one way

Isles hat

E N F O R C E R
Aug 24, 2009
Suffolk County
They plan on adding from what i know to "around" 15,500. It will not be 14,500 when the Isles move it. If it stayed at 14,500 the Isles would not be able to move there.

I am sure the number will include standing room as well.

It may be more, we have to see what they come up with for the additional seating.

Have no idea where they will add seats.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
I went to a net game and loved it. Very old style feel to it and the only thing I disliked was the fact that all the concession stands and stuff are downstairs which is a pain because elevators only go one way

Reaaaally?? That's the first I've heard of it and that's gonna suck! Because I usually skimp on the ticket prices and load up on the brews! I almost always sit upper section at nvmc.

Twine Seeking Missle

Go monkey go!!!
Dec 30, 2004
Suck-town
7:30 starts would be a great idea. so that fans from Long island can still make it with time to spare

They also need to keep the schedule the way it is now meaning about half the home schedule is played on weekends. 15 Saturday and 5 Sunday games. Something like that. Hopefully they have a partial weekend package. I would be all over that.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
love it, been to two nets games but the trains going home are not convenient (Stewart Manor for me)

I guess I am spoiled though being used to being able to get home from an Isles game by 10PM

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Jesus, does the word "hipster" have to be mentioned every time someone talks about Brooklyn? There are plenty of families, and normal folks who live in the borough and will be attending the games. Get out from under your rocks and actually spend some time here before thinking you know what the place is like!

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I live in Suffolk County and was surprised at how easy it was to get there. My friend has an apartment in Brooklyn a few blocks from the Barclays and it was an easy train ride. Ronkonkoma to Jamaica, hop on another train(forgot which line) and 3 stops later you are literally right in front of the stadium.

Obviously I wish the team would stay on LI, but I can't complain with this outcome considering the other options.

Isles hat

E N F O R C E R
Aug 24, 2009
Suffolk County
I live in Suffolk County and was surprised at how easy it was to get there. My friend has an apartment in Brooklyn a few blocks from the Barclays and it was an easy train ride. Ronkonkoma to Jamaica, hop on another train(forgot which line) and 3 stops later you are literally right in front of the stadium.

Obviously I wish the team would stay on LI, but I can't complain with this outcome considering the other options.

How long did it take from the Ronkonkoma station?
Going and coming back please

Bert Marshall days

Oct 31, 2006

Concession stands are on the 2nd level. Not as many as downstairs but they're there except on the ends of the arena.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
How long did it take from the Ronkonkoma station?
Going and coming back please

I can't quite remember(was drinking a little bit) but I think it was around an hour total from Ronkonkoma to the Barclays. We ended up going to Manhattan from there and then I came home from Penn so I couldn't tell you how long the trip back from Brooklyn would be, although I'm assuming it wouldn't be much different. I guess the only other factor would be how often the trains run from that Brooklyn station, but on game days I'm assuming it would be pretty often.

BorzNYI

Mar 27, 2012
Reaaaally?? That's the first I've heard of it and that's gonna suck! Because I usually skimp on the ticket prices and load up on the brews! I almost always sit upper section at nvmc.

You will be fine. I don't think the comment that sparked yours was totally accurate. There are plenty of elevators and they are a fine way to get downstairs AND there are plenty of food/drink options upstairs. I wouldnt be too concerned. There is also additional space upstairs to add more concessions.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Been there twice...One Knicks game and one concert.....I really love the place...Its a total different feel than the old coli but I think it will be great for Hockey....You feel like your right on top of the action....

They only thing I though was wierd was that you cant see the opposite side of the crowd.

Also there is lots of room to move around, its not as tight as the Coli

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
Jesus, does the word "hipster" have to be mentioned every time someone talks about Brooklyn? There are plenty of families, and normal folks who live in the borough and will be attending the games. Get out from under your rocks and actually spend some time here before thinking you know what the place is like!

C'mon bro Brooklyn is the Hipster capital of the east coast:laugh:

seriously though, I have not been to barclays, but i love it because its so much easier for me to get to. realistically Nassau was never going to get the islanders a building, and i will miss the coliseum, but at least i still have the new york Islanders

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad