Barclays Center.....Your thoughts

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Jesus, does the word "hipster" have to be mentioned every time someone talks about Brooklyn? There are plenty of families, and normal folks who live in the borough and will be attending the games. Get out from under your rocks and actually spend some time here before thinking you know what the place is like!

Well i worked in the Williamsburg area and Dumbo area for about 10 years and yes there are families there but there are also alot of hipsters there as well. The yuppies from downtown manhattan have taken over alot of Brooklyn as well.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Well i worked in the Williamsburg area and Dumbo area for about 10 years and yes there are families there but there are also alot of hipsters there as well. The yuppies from downtown manhattan have taken over alot of Brooklyn as well.

But there are also MANY other neighborhoods in Brooklyn were those types don't reside. The Isles will be looking to draw from these places as well. It's a very diverse place. Much more diverse than visiting the northern end of the borough or listening to the media would suggest.

Mustang2750*

Ive worked 5 minutes walking distance from Barclays for the last year and a half now and I have yet to see a hipster in the area. Hipsters take up a very very small part of Brooklyn. If anything I would be more worried about the ghetto areas surrounding the arena as opposed to hipsters...i see ALOT more trash than I do hipsters in that area.

Uncle Lou

Jun 20, 2010
New York
Ive worked 5 minutes walking distance from Barclays for the last year and a half now and I have yet to see a hipster in the area. Hipsters take up a very very small part of Brooklyn. If anything I would be more worried about the ghetto areas surrounding the arena as opposed to hipsters...i see ALOT more trash than I do hipsters in that area.

Believe me man they will have tons of cops around...they do for the net games as well...nothing to worry about

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
There's nothing to worry about even on a non-game night. It's the downtown area of a major metropolis. There's always going to be some characters around no matter where you are. Just don't walk around with your head up your ass and you'll be fine. That's good advice no matter where you happen to be.

Bert Marshall days

Oct 31, 2006
Believe me man they will have tons of cops around...they do for the net games as well...nothing to worry about

Saw a concert there and after the show went for pizza and beer close by the arena and 1 hour after the concert ended there were still tons of cops everywhere near the arena and subway entrance. Never saw so many cops not even at the St Patty's Day parade. Safety won't be an issue.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
There's nothing to worry about even on a non-game night. It's the downtown area of a major metropolis. There's always going to be some characters around no matter where you are. Just don't walk around with your head up your ass and you'll be fine. That's good advice no matter where you happen to be.

Yeah, like, umm.. the Coliseum parking lot is safer with the drunk shmoes driving post-game? I don't think so. Ghetto... I suppose we're talking about Fort Greene. If that's the ghetto, it's the best ghetto in the world. Yeah, there are projects, but most of the problems in the projects stay in the projects.

That doesn't mean that people don't come looking for trouble. Like I said before, 5th Ave. can be like that sometimes, but it's the furthest thing from the ghetto. Stupid kids with nothing to do just like to hang out there.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Yeah, like, umm.. the Coliseum parking lot is safer with the drunk shmoes driving post-game? I don't think so. Ghetto... I suppose we're talking about Fort Greene. If that's the ghetto, it's the best ghetto in the world. Yeah, there are projects, but most of the problems in the projects stay in the projects.

That doesn't mean that people don't come looking for trouble. Like I said before, 5th Ave. can be like that sometimes, but it's the furthest thing from the ghetto. Stupid kids with nothing to do just like to hang out there.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Well Bed-Stuy is pretty close, but that neighborhood isn't as bad as it used to be and neighborhoods change so quickly these days that it'll probably be even "safer" before the Isles move there in 2015.

In any case, you're on the money as usual.

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
Jesus, does the word "hipster" have to be mentioned every time someone talks about Brooklyn? There are plenty of families, and normal folks who live in the borough and will be attending the games. Get out from under your rocks and actually spend some time here before thinking you know what the place is like!

This, although I'll admit to laughing every time I see the forum member with that "hipster Tavares" avatar :laugh:

RWWallpaper

Mar 9, 2006
Plus, if you're looking to rob someone (or worse), it's probably not a good idea to pick on someone who hasn't seen their team win a playoff series in over 20 years and just watched them lose another 3rd period lead...you might just end up becoming the victim as opposed to the perpetrator.

MTK

Sep 26, 2007
West Islip
The area outside barclays is not bad at all. If you venture a couple blocks the wrong way then yea I would agree.

The neighborhood is already changing alot for those who haven't been there. I have not concerns hanging out by the Barclays late night.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Plus, if you're looking to rob someone (or worse), it's probably not a good idea to pick on someone who hasn't seen their team win a playoff series in over 20 years and just watched them lose another 3rd period lead...you might just end up becoming the victim as opposed to the perpetrator.

"Hell hath no fury like a modern day Islanders fan after a loss"

784283_1328047329057_322_300.jpg

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Well Bed-Stuy is pretty close, but that neighborhood isn't as bad as it used to be and neighborhoods change so quickly these days that it'll probably be even "safer" before the Isles move there in 2015.

In any case, you're on the money as usual.

T'anks. It seems to me you'd have to walk far in the wrong direction. Two blocks north is BAM. Two blocks west is the Terminal. Two blocks east is Vanderbilt, one of the busiest intersections ever. What's dangerous is two blocks south: Piquant. Yuck.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Bert Marshall days

Oct 31, 2006

People worried should just wear an old time goalie mask like Gerry Cheevers with the stitches and carry a hockey stick. Scare the F out of the perp who'll think they're dealing with a nutjob out of Silence of the Lambs or Friday the 13th. :D

Bert Marshall days

Oct 31, 2006
Cheers,

Dan-o

Book 'em Dan-o. Always wanted to say that. :laugh:

I've seen more injured people from drunk drivers on the Meadowbrook, Southern State and NVMC parking lot after a concert/NYI game than I could ever imagine mugged after an event at Barclay's. :amazed:

scott99

May 13, 2005
Loved it, saw The Who there back in November, and going to see the Nets tomorrow (first sporting event there). Great Arena, can't wait to see an Islander's game there (maybe an exhibition game there next season ?). I will miss the NVMC a lot, I still get a special feeling when I go there, everytime I get to my seat and see the ice I get a happy feeling inside. I do feel that going to Barclays for hockey will be amazing though. The food and other amenities blow the Coliseum away. They sell L&B Spumoni Garden's Pizza and Junior's Cheesecake for Pete's sake !

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
I've seen more injured people from drunk drivers on the Meadowbrook, Southern State and NVMC parking lot after a concert/NYI game than I could ever imagine mugged after an event at Barclay's. :amazed:

Really? We all know you are excited they are coming to Brooklyn but this statement is absurd. I have been going to NYI games since 1972 and have yet to see one incident on the Meadowbrook or Southern State Parkway tied back to a NYI game.

Additionaly I used to work at the Marriott and had a working relationship with NVMC and I can tell you first hand the number of incidents occuring in the parking lot compare in numbers to incidents happening at arenas and event sites nationwide. In fact the bulk of parking lot incidents happen during concerts and not just any concerts. Usually it's a metal band or a youth concert like the Warped tour or something comparable. We used to have incidents occur on hotel property during these events as well. If incidents did occur during NYI games it was usally during NYR and/or Philadelphia games. These games bring in a lot of opossing fans and mix that with some beer and we all know what happens.

Would be interesting to find out via NYPD the amout of incidents at the Barclay's. I would imagine it is on that same comparable scale.

Bert Marshall days

Oct 31, 2006
Really? We all know you are excited they are coming to Brooklyn but this statement is absurd. I have been going to NYI games since 1972 and have yet to see one incident on the Meadowbrook or Southern State Parkway tied back to a NYI game.

Additionaly I used to work at the Marriott and had a working relationship with NVMC and I can tell you first hand the number of incidents occuring in the parking lot compare in numbers to incidents happening at arenas and event sites nationwide. In fact the bulk of parking lot incidents happen during concerts and not just any concerts. Usually it's a metal band or a youth concert like the Warped tour or something comparable. We used to have incidents occur on hotel property during these events as well. If incidents did occur during NYI games it was usally during NYR and/or Philadelphia games. These games bring in a lot of opossing fans and mix that with some beer and we all know what happens.

Would be interesting to find out via NYPD the amout of incidents at the Barclay's. I would imagine it is on that same comparable scale.

Hey Mr. Gloom & Doom, if you were any more defensive about NVMC/Uniondale you'd be Ken Morrow.

Yup, there's never ever ever been 1 instance of a drunk driver causing an accident after a NYI game at NVMC since 1972. Not one. Ever. Because YOU didn't see any. :sarcasm:

(and if there was it had to be caused by a Flyer fan or a NYR fan but never a NYI fan right?)

The absurdity of that statement is ummm....absurd. Most people would be embarrased to write that knowing how wacky it is and many people have probably seen accidents after NYI games as I have. Let's call the NYPD and compare.Your posts are comic relief.

Islesin93*

Jan 29, 2008
my thoughts when they announced it was like hearing the death of someone really close, maybe even worse

but after seeing the 1st game and hearing the crowd Boo DiPietro unmercifully I have warmed up to it

The good thing is there will be alot of suits and corporate people who dont care about the game, and it wont be as "raucous" of an atmosphere as the Coliseum

the bad things is there will be alot of obstructed view seats from what I hear, and getting a ticket that will be "reasonably" priced wont be easy as the Coliseum

I am sure most people know a $20 bill can get you a really good seat to most Isles game

definitely wont be that in Brooklyn

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
my thoughts when they announced it was like hearing the death of someone really close, maybe even worse

but after seeing the 1st game and hearing the crowd Boo DiPietro unmercifully I have warmed up to it

The good thing is there will be alot of suits and corporate people who dont care about the game, and it wont be as "raucous" of an atmosphere as the Coliseum

the bad things is there will be alot of obstructed view seats from what I hear, and getting a ticket that will be "reasonably" priced wont be easy as the Coliseum

I am sure most people know a $20 bill can get you a really good seat to most Isles game

Fans booing DP is what warmed you up to the idea of the Isles playing in Brooklyn? I'm confused.

Isles hat

E N F O R C E R
Aug 24, 2009
Suffolk County
That area near Barclays is very safe. It is not considered a dumpy area with thugs hanging out. They really did a nice job with the surrounding area with nice stores, good lighting and the area is police patroled. I see no issues upcoming.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006

We can only hope.

LotteryForLife*

It's not meant for hockey. Built solely for basketball. Like putting the ShMets or Yankees at Metlife stadium. The DiPietro, Yashin and Milbury gaffs all won't add up to this disaster when the Isles have to play in an arena with about 9000 good seats

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad