Barclays Center.....Your thoughts

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
That area near Barclays is very safe. It is not considered a dumpy area with thugs hanging out. They really did a nice job with the surrounding area with nice stores, good lighting and the area is police patroled. I see no issues upcoming.

Sorry, but this is just kind of funny. Sometimes I wonder if people realize that 'thugs' can drive and take public transportation, too. And just who is the 'they' who 'did a nice job'? Are 'they' the realtors that renamed portions of Crown Heights and Bed Stuy 'Prospect Heights' and starting gentrifying it 10 years ago? The crazy-a** bike activists who still flavor the area? The minority owned-businesses that have been there for 50 years? The cultural center that is way more pleasurable to attend than Lincoln Center? All of the Europeans who have flooded into the area? (Sometimes you're as likely to hear French as English in Prospect Heights). Yeah, they've done a nice job. Barclay's is there because of them, not the other way around.

Anyone who wants to get a good idea about flavor should go a First Saturday at the Brooklyn Museum. Admission is free, parking is $5. Beer and wine are 5 or 6 bucks. It is impossible to get better entertainment value from the music, to the art, and the people watching. You get everything from hipsters, ultra-orthodox Jews on hiatus (sometimes hard to tell apart the hipsters and hasids), Rastas (it goes without saying) and Eurotrash doing what appears to be the lambada to techno.

http://www.brooklynmuseum.org/visit/first_saturdays.php

BTW, I don't recommend shopping at the terminal stores (particularly not Marshalls or Target). They are horribly picked over.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Isles hat

E N F O R C E R
Aug 24, 2009
Suffolk County
Sorry, but this is just kind of funny. Sometimes I wonder if people realize that 'thugs' can drive and take public transportation, too. And just who is the 'they' who 'did a nice job'? Are 'they' the realtors that renamed portions of Crown Heights and Bed Stuy 'Prospect Heights' and starting gentrifying it 10 years ago? The crazy-a** bike activists who still flavor the area? The minority owned-businesses that have been there for 50 years? The cultural center that is way more pleasurable to attend than Lincoln Center? All of the Europeans who have flooded into the area? (Sometimes you're as likely to hear French as English in Prospect Heights). Yeah, they've done a nice job. Barclay's is there because of them, not the other way around.

Dan-o

THEY all did a good job making the area a decent place for entertainment, shopping, dining etc. Sure, they faced many obstacles along the way. Bottom line is-Ratner got it done.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
It's not meant for hockey. Built solely for basketball. Like putting the ShMets or Yankees at Metlife stadium. The DiPietro, Yashin and Milbury gaffs all won't add up to this disaster when the Isles have to play in an arena with about 9000 good seats

Are you exagerating about the 9,000 good seats or is that about what it will be?
I heard there are sightline issues, but 5,000 seats with bad lines? And what about boxes? Are they counted in the 9,000 (or the total 14,500)???

frankthefrowner

Jan 13, 2007
I think barclays is gonna be awesome for you. As far as the capacity for hockey, when it actually becomes a problem then that means you turned a corner and have become really good. It would be a good problem to have.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
its not a perfect situation, but the main thing is that it secures a home for my beloved team for the foreseeable future. it sucks it didn't work out in nassau, but serves them right , screw them. this benefits this team a great deal, on many levels, but i will deff miss the barn, iv been to so many games there over the years, ill b sad 2 see it go

Islesin93*

Jan 29, 2008
better than seeing those 4 banners hanging in Seattle, isn't it?

They were never gonna move to Seattle that was all a scare tactic so when they announced they were moving to Brooklyn the fans would be relieved

There was still time and still talk to keep the Isles on the Island, the lease was up in 2014-2015

Had plenty of time to see if Nassau would have other plans or someone else would buy them and keep them on the Island

Wang just wanted this headache to end and knowing a move to Brooklyn will make this team more profitable, I bet he will sell in the near future

Isles hat

E N F O R C E R
Aug 24, 2009
Suffolk County
They were never gonna move to Seattle that was all a scare tactic so when they announced they were moving to Brooklyn the fans would be relieved

There was still time and still talk to keep the Isles on the Island, the lease was up in 2014-2015

Had plenty of time to see if Nassau would have other plans or someone else would buy them and keep them on the Island

Wang just wanted this headache to end and knowing a move to Brooklyn will make this team more profitable, I bet he will sell in the near future

They didnt really have a lot of time to wait for Nassau to do something. A new arena takes a couple years to construct. The barclays was the perfect fit.

I hope wang sells to Mikhail Prokhorov. That is when we see good things happen. Wang is a ******.

Last edited:

scott99

May 13, 2005
Just left Barclays Arena, just saw Miami demolish the Nets (Jan 30th). I was in section 207, literally the last row in the arena (center court though), a buddy of mine got the tickets a few months ago for $85 face value. Like I said, LAST row in the arena, and I could see perfectly ! Soak that in, last row, and I could see everything perfectly. It's a VERY steep arena, and walking past people in the rows, is pretty difficult due to very slim aisle ways, but, the sight lines are gonna be amazing. The food is amazing, the commute is very simple (they hold the subways trains for you, and I was lucky to catch the 11:18 train home to Great Neck, got to Penn Station at 11:09). I loved the experience, except trying to squeeze by people in very slim aisle ways, up rows that are very steep, I can see some accidents potentially happening. But overall, an amazing sporting event.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
THEY all did a good job making the area a decent place for entertainment, shopping, dining etc. Sure, they faced many obstacles along the way. Bottom line is-Ratner got it done.

I like Barclay's. The architecture is, simply, awesome. I'm happy that the Islanders will play in my borough. But any project that reduces (through eminent domain, no less) the number of residential units (note: NOT chop-shots) in a population-rich area with a vacancy rate of 2% is an utter failure. And the arena wouldn't have happened without Prokhorov coming in on a white horse.

So, sorry, "they" did not do a nice job. Anybody who buys the narrative that the area is a ****hole before Ratner and nice after is perpetuating a silly myth anyone from Brooklyn knows to be false. The neighborhood is no better off than it was before.

It is hard to find a place to live in NYC. Ratner made it harder. You won't find many Brooklyn folks thanking him for that.

Ugh,

Dan-o

Isles hat

E N F O R C E R
Aug 24, 2009
Suffolk County
I like Barclay's. The architecture is, simply, awesome. I'm happy that the Islanders will play in my borough.

Dan-o

The arena is wonderful, no question.
Im certainly not completely happy with the location since Im from long Island. As a former STH, the team has been taken away from its birth place. I just have to deal with it.

Im hopeful Wang either puts money into the team or just sells it. Snow has to be given money to get top name players. I have had enough of last place finishes.

Uncle Lou

Jun 20, 2010
New York
Just left Barclays Arena, just saw Miami demolish the Nets (Jan 30th). I was in section 207, literally the last row in the arena (center court though), a buddy of mine got the tickets a few months ago for $85 face value. Like I said, LAST row in the arena, and I could see perfectly ! Soak that in, last row, and I could see everything perfectly. It's a VERY steep arena, and walking past people in the rows, is pretty difficult due to very slim aisle ways, but, the sight lines are gonna be amazing. The food is amazing, the commute is very simple (they hold the subways trains for you, and I was lucky to catch the 11:18 train home to Great Neck, got to Penn Station at 11:09). I loved the experience, except trying to squeeze by people in very slim aisle ways, up rows that are very steep, I can see some accidents potentially happening. But overall, an amazing sporting event.

I noticed that too when I went to the knick game, aisles are wry hard to get by people even when they stand up for you. Place is still a beaut

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
Hey Mr. Gloom & Doom, if you were any more defensive about NVMC/Uniondale you'd be Ken Morrow.

Yup, there's never ever ever been 1 instance of a drunk driver causing an accident after a NYI game at NVMC since 1972. Not one. Ever. Because YOU didn't see any. :sarcasm:

(and if there was it had to be caused by a Flyer fan or a NYR fan but never a NYI fan right?)

The absurdity of that statement is ummm....absurd. Most people would be embarrased to write that knowing how wacky it is and many people have probably seen accidents after NYI games as I have. Let's call the NYPD and compare.Your posts are comic relief.

Dude you really make me laugh.

Look I understand you are all giddy the Isles are moving to Brooklyn. I understand that your arm is sore form patting yourself on the back for predicting the move, I get all that, but the way you defend Brooklyn makes one think you might be on the payroll.

I am not now, nor have I ever "defended" NVMC. Do I like the place? I do, but I am realistic enough to know that they are moving and that's that. I am also realistic enough to know that just a move does nothing to improve this team, it's play or it's chances of signing players.

You come out with these assine statements, backed up by nothing, trying over and over to validate their decision to move. Your statement about the "many" accidents you have seen on roadways surrounding the NVMC is laughable and the fact that you summize they can all be traced back to drunk fans coming from a NYI game is even funnier. FWIW you should also read what i said before you try to respond because I never said there's never ever ever been 1 instance of a drunk driver causing an accident after a NYI game at NVMC since 1972. What I said was I have never seen one tied directly back to a NYI game.

Being a fair guy, I took the time to go back through roughly 4 years of Newsday articles involving DWI accidents and you know what? Not a single one said anything about the accident involving fans coming from a NYI game, none. Am I disputing that you may see an accident on your way home? No, but to tie that to the game is ludicris. If you want to prove me wrong, I invite you to provide a link, just some factual evidence, backing up your claim and I will be the first to say you were right.

With regards to the NYR/Philly fans, again you miss the point. In my years of working with management at NVMC, I have first hand knowledge that PARKING LOT incidents tic up when there are Ranger and Flyer games. This is mostly due to the influx of opposing fans and when you get that element and mix in a little beer things happen. Is this to say incidents do not happen when the Rangers or Flyers are not here? No, but the number of incident pale in comparison. You cannot even factor in this aspect in comparing the two locations because there is no parking at Barclay's so the opportunity to drink and get into arguments/fights with others is greatly diminished. There is no place around Barclays to tailgate so that eliminates the issue. It's apples and oranges.

In an article released today http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...s/barclays-center-crime-is-minimal-police-say it shows that crime around Barclays has been minmal thus far and that's a good thing for everyone.

Next time you want to just spew crap for the sake of spewing crap, please think twice or back it up with factual evidence. Otherwise you are just wasting everyone's time.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
With regards to the NYR/Philly fans, again you miss the point. In my years of working with management at NVMC, I have first hand knowledge that PARKING LOT incidents tic up when there are Ranger and Flyer games. This is mostly due to the influx of opposing fans and when you get that element and mix in a little beer things happen. Is this to say incidents do not happen when the Rangers or Flyers are not here? No, but the number of incident pale in comparison. You cannot even factor in this aspect in comparing the two locations because there is no parking at Barclay's so the opportunity to drink and get into arguments/fights with others is greatly diminished. There is no place around Barclays to tailgate so that eliminates the issue. It's apples and oranges.

Sure it is. And I way prefer the oranges of walking to the train to the apples of avoiding some aggressive slob driving in the parking lot who was stumbling when he got into his car. I defy anyone who says they haven't seen that with their own two eyes.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
Sure it is. And I way prefer the oranges of walking to the train to the apples of avoiding some aggressive slob driving in the parking lot who was stumbling when he got into his car. I defy anyone who says they haven't seen that with their own two eyes.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Fully understand and somewhat agree with your point. That being said:

We've all seen it, myself included but that doesnt mean that slob gets into an accident does it? Which is the point I am debating. The original poster stated that he had seen many accidents caused by drunk drivers coming from NYI games. That staement in itself is very broad and witout fact and I am refuting that.

And for what it is worth you are going to run into the same drunk slobs walking to the train as you see now walking to their cars. One could make the argument that the drunk slob on the train can be dangerous as well because you are confining that drunk slob to a crowded space on a train and way more opportunity for that to errupt into an altercation.

No matter how you slice it situations always get bad when alcohol is introduced. I like my cocktails but I know when to stop.

Mustang2750*

Theres already drunk slobs walking around that area when there arent even any events. Its walking distance from all of the welfare offices, food stamp centers, and parole offices. You will see more drunk animals during game nights walking to and from trains than you do in the coliseum parking lot. The only difference is more cops at Barclays (rightfully so). Downtown Brooklyn is mutant central.

SouthShore91

Jan 19, 2012
Bay Shore, NY
Went there for a Nets game right before I went back to school and here are my thoughts.
Like: -First impression is that it's shiny and new, especially the concourse and the bathrooms.
-Taking the train was nice, but it takes a lot longer for a kid from Bay Shore to get all the way to Brooklyn as opposed to the Coli.
-The concessions were nice and so was the bar crawling I did after the game.

No Like: While shiny and new, the place lacks any character whatsoever, maybe that will change, but to me it was just dark and grey. Very weird feeling.
-Hate, HATE the sight-lines. Sat almost last row and it was SO steep. I often get last row seats at the Coliseum, and have sat towards the top at other NHL Arenas and this was certainly the worst.
-The acoustics were also really really weird, the place seemed quiet and you could hear everything going on, on the floor.

It definitely is going to change the team's identity and that's what I hate the most. Going from Nassau and Suffolk to the Rag$ backyard is just something we will have to deal with though. Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but with the team playing well, it's certainly better then Seattle/Quebec/Markham. I'm also extremely concerned about the fact that it's only going to be 14,500 seats and the black curtains that will cover the lower bowl. I'm have hated the move ever since it was announced, going there didn't change my thoughts, but like I said, better then a full move somewhere else, and I suppose I can accept that.

Twine Seeking Missle

Go monkey go!!!
Dec 30, 2004
Suck-town
Went there for a Nets game right before I went back to school and here are my thoughts.
Like: -First impression is that it's shiny and new, especially the concourse and the bathrooms.
-Taking the train was nice, but it takes a lot longer for a kid from Bay Shore to get all the way to Brooklyn as opposed to the Coli.

No Like: While shiny and new, the place lacks any character whatsoever, maybe that will change, but to me it was just dark and grey. Very weird feeling.
-Hate, HATE the sight-lines. Sat almost last row and it was SO steep. I often get last row seats at the Coliseum, and have sat towards the top at other NHL Arenas and this was certainly the worst.
-The acoustics were also really really weird, the place seemed quiet and you could hear everything going on, on the floor.

It definitely is going to change the team's identity and that's what I hate the most. Going from Nassau and Suffolk to the Rag$ backyard is just something we will have to deal with though. Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but with the team playing well, it's certainly better then Seattle/Quebec/Markham. I'm also extremely concerned about the fact that it's only going to be 14,500 seats and the black curtains that will cover the lower bowl. I'm have hated the move ever since it was announced, going there didn't change my thoughts, but like I said, better then a full move somewhere else, and I suppose I can accept that.

I will answer to your points about the steepness and the acoustics.

As for the steepness, yes. It is VERY steep. But I actually like it. I prefer that as opposed to spread out and sprawling like MSG. And while the last row is a lot higher than the coliseum, I have sat in the last row at both Wachovia and Prudential and both those were higher than Barclay's.

As for the acoustics, I have been there for 3 Nets games this year and the place rarely got loud. But that's a basketball crowd. Hockey crowds are MUCH different. It's like night and day. When you score 95+ points in a game people aren't going to go crazy with each basket. Add to the fact the Nets were up big every game I have been to leading to easy wins/zero drama I expected a tame crowd. But with the place being as small and compact as it is, I could imagine it will get plenty loud when the Isles score a goal. You really can't compare a hockey crowd with a basketball crowd.

SouthShore91

Jan 19, 2012
Bay Shore, NY
I will answer to your points about the steepness and the acoustics.

As for the steepness, yes. It is VERY steep. But I actually like it. I prefer that as opposed to spread out and sprawling like MSG. And while the last row is a lot higher than the coliseum, I have sat in the last row at both Wachovia and Prudential and both those were higher than Barclay's.

As for the acoustics, I have been there for 3 Nets games this year and the place rarely got loud. But that's a basketball crowd. Hockey crowds are MUCH different. It's like night and day. When you score 95+ points in a game people aren't going to go crazy with each basket. Add to the fact the Nets were up big every game I have been to leading to easy wins/zero drama I expected a tame crowd. But with the place being as small and compact as it is, I could imagine it will get plenty loud when the Isles score a goal. You really can't compare a hockey crowd with a basketball crowd.

I dunno. I prefer the spread out feeling, that's just a preference though. I sat last row at Wachovia (Wells Fargo) and don't remember it being as bad as Barclays.

I would agree with you about the hockey crowd v. basketball crowd argument, but my cousin said he went to Barclays for a concert and said he felt the acoustics were weird then too, but I guess we'll see. It didn't really win me over I guess is my point.

Bert Marshall days

Oct 31, 2006
Dude you really make me laugh.

Look I understand you are all giddy the Isles are moving to Brooklyn. I understand that your arm is sore form patting yourself on the back for predicting the move, I get all that, but the way you defend Brooklyn makes one think you might be on the payroll.

I am not now, nor have I ever "defended" NVMC. Do I like the place? I do, but I am realistic enough to know that they are moving and that's that. I am also realistic enough to know that just a move does nothing to improve this team, it's play or it's chances of signing players.

You come out with these assine statements, backed up by nothing, trying over and over to validate their decision to move. Your statement about the "many" accidents you have seen on roadways surrounding the NVMC is laughable and the fact that you summize they can all be traced back to drunk fans coming from a NYI game is even funnier. FWIW you should also read what i said before you try to respond because I never said there's never ever ever been 1 instance of a drunk driver causing an accident after a NYI game at NVMC since 1972. What I said was I have never seen one tied directly back to a NYI game.

Being a fair guy, I took the time to go back through roughly 4 years of Newsday articles involving DWI accidents and you know what? Not a single one said anything about the accident involving fans coming from a NYI game, none. Am I disputing that you may see an accident on your way home? No, but to tie that to the game is ludicris. If you want to prove me wrong, I invite you to provide a link, just some factual evidence, backing up your claim and I will be the first to say you were right.

In an article released today http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...s/barclays-center-crime-is-minimal-police-say it shows that crime around Barclays has been minmal thus far and that's a good thing for everyone.

Next time you want to just spew crap for the sake of spewing crap, please think twice or back it up with factual evidence. Otherwise you are just wasting everyone's time.

Hey Mr. Defensive/Denial, you don't know what I've seen or what's fact so grow up. In fact I did see an accident right on the ramp to the Meadowbrook right after a game. Maybe the drunks left before it was reported. Ask my lawyer buddy I shared STH's with as he saw it too as well as others. Since you NEED to.

Unless you see something, or it's written to your agreement and can have it "proved" you don't believe ANYTHING. Pathetic and childish. You don't think the seats will be full in Barclay's, you don't think revenues there will increase enough to matter and if there is revenue you don't think it will be spent on NYI because you're gloom blind. You thinking accidents don't happen because they can't be tied to drunks leaving NVMC is the funniest crap I've read in a long time. We all know it happens. "Proof" or not. That this is your main point is ridiculous.

Defending Brooklyn? I said I've seen more accidents from drunks leaving NVMC than I can imagine people being mugged at Barclay's after events. With all the cops at BK and your own posted article looks like I'm right. Guilty. :sarcasm:

Validate their decision to move? LOL Priceless. They don't need me to do that, nassore's pathetic politicians and weak fan/citizen voter support did that.

Just saying above that you think drunks on a train are as dangerous as drunks driving cars is a joke. Look up how many drunk driving accidents vs drunk people on train incidents there are Perry Mason.

A poster said last week you just like to start arguments for no reason and here you go again. You are truly out there. Got anything better to add or just have time to waste posting semantic, trivial delusional, defensive denial?

Last edited:

Bert Marshall days

Oct 31, 2006

They keep it dark, grey and not lit well for the Nets vibe. For hockey they will have different brighter lighting so that will help so I've heard.

Bert Marshall days

Oct 31, 2006
You will see more drunk animals during game nights walking to and from trains than you do in the coliseum parking lot. The only difference is more cops at Barclays (rightfully so). Downtown Brooklyn is mutant central.

Another difference is they won't be behind the wheel of a car mostly.

Funny your BK description sounds like downtown Uniondale on the other side of Hofstra.

rollin109

Jun 21, 2007
I like Barclay's. The architecture is, simply, awesome. I'm happy that the Islanders will play in my borough. But any project that reduces (through eminent domain, no less) the number of residential units (note: NOT chop-shots) in a population-rich area with a vacancy rate of 2% is an utter failure. And the arena wouldn't have happened without Prokhorov coming in on a white horse.

So, sorry, "they" did not do a nice job. Anybody who buys the narrative that the area is a ****hole before Ratner and nice after is perpetuating a silly myth anyone from Brooklyn knows to be false. The neighborhood is no better off than it was before.

It is hard to find a place to live in NYC. Ratner made it harder. You won't find many Brooklyn folks thanking him for that.

Ugh,

Dan-o

what about the nearly 7,000 Atlantic Yards residential units that are being built as we speak?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad