Barclays Center.....Your thoughts

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bert Marshall days

Oct 31, 2006
I like Barclay's. The architecture is, simply, awesome. I'm happy that the Islanders will play in my borough. But any project that reduces (through eminent domain, no less) the number of residential units (note: NOT chop-shots) in a population-rich area with a vacancy rate of 2% is an utter failure. And the arena wouldn't have happened without Prokhorov coming in on a white horse.

So, sorry, "they" did not do a nice job. Anybody who buys the narrative that the area is a ****hole before Ratner and nice after is perpetuating a silly myth anyone from Brooklyn knows to be false. The neighborhood is no better off than it was before.

It is hard to find a place to live in NYC. Ratner made it harder. You won't find many Brooklyn folks thanking him for that.

Ugh,

Dan-o

Hey Dan-o, I haven't heard much on this but maybe you know - how many residents will be there in the new towers and affordable housing when the AY project is complete vs how many were displaced because of eminent domain? Net net which is higher and the difference?

Also, the revenue to the area with the AY Project and Barclay's Center increasing vs what it was, places to live in NYC notwithstanding?

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Anyone know if the 14,500 seats include the boxes or are the boxes additional to the seating?

Twine Seeking Missle

Go monkey go!!!
Dec 30, 2004
Suck-town
Anyone know if the 14,500 seats include the boxes or are the boxes additional to the seating?

I would have to think the suites are in addition to the 14,500. Some of the new "party suites" in these new buildings are huge and can fit hundreds of people each. I would find it hard to believe there would only be 12,500 - 13,000 seats minus the suites.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
what about the nearly 7,000 Atlantic Yards residential units that are being built as we speak?

We're down 2,250. Exactly 362 are currently under construction, the very first in Mid-December 2012. TBH, I didn't even know that the 362 were being built. I thought it was still 0. Well, that's progress and better than nothing. At this pace we should hit 7,000 when I finish decomposing.

This is not the point. The main point is: the idea that the neighborhood was somehow rescued by Ratner is absolute nonsense.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
Hey Dan-o, I haven't heard much on this but maybe you know - how many residents will be there in the new towers and affordable housing when the AY project is complete vs how many were displaced because of eminent domain? Net net which is higher and the difference?

Approx 2,250 were down by ED. Asking how many will be up by the time AY is complete is like asking what language will be spoken when the United Federation of Planets comes into existence. I don't friggin' know, and neither do you. :nod:

Cheers,

Dan-o

scott99

May 13, 2005
Weird thing is, they said the attendance for last night's net's game was 17,700+. I thought there were only 14,500 seats.

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
Hey Mr. Defensive/Denial, you don't know what I've seen or what's fact so grow up. In fact I did see an accident right on the ramp to the Meadowbrook right after a game. Maybe the drunks left before it was reported. Ask my lawyer buddy I shared STH's with as he saw it too as well as others. Since you NEED to.

Unless you see something, or it's written to your agreement and can have it "proved" you don't believe ANYTHING. Pathetic and childish.

You don't think the seats will be full in Barclay's, you don't think revenues there will increase enough to matter and if there is revenue you don't think it will be spent on NYI because you're gloom blind.

You thinking accidents don't happen because they can't be tied to drunks leaving NVMC is the funniest crap I've read in a long time. We all know it happens. "Proof" or not. That this is your main point is ridiculous.

Defending Brooklyn? I said I've seen more accidents from drunks leaving NVMC than I can imagine people being mugged at Barclay's after events. With all the cops at BK and your own posted article looks like I'm right.

Just saying above that you think drunks on a train are as dangerous as drunks driving cars is a joke. Look up how many drunk driving accidents vs drunk people on train incidents there are Perry Mason.

A poster said last week you just like to start arguments for no reason and here you go again. You are truly out there. Got anything better to add or just have time to waste posting semantic, trivial delusional, defensive denial?

Not sure how to break tis into to mulitple quotes and really don't care to.

So let me understand, you saw an accident in the vicinity of NVMC after a game and jumped to the conclusion that one or both of the drivers involved were drunk? This brilliant deduction came to you how? Did you get out of your car and test them? Did you interrogate them? Did you smell alcohol on their breath? Or maybe you are just trying to create some credibility to an asinine statement? Pehaps, and I know this may be hard for you to grasp, but just work with me here, perhaps the accident you saw on the ramp was caused by two cars merging at the same time? Or someone not paying attention to the road? Talking on the phone? Shall I keep going?

I have been proven wrong many times on this board and always admit when i am so no issues there. Had I come on here and stated that I have seen many muggings and thefts outside the Barclay's center you would have flown off the handle and questioned how I came up with the statement. You would have wanted the same facts to back it up as I do.

I base my reasoning on an owner who talks about spending but not backing it up. I base it on being moved to an arena not designed for the sport which will be shoe horned into it. The revenue projections, while rosy, are just that projections or in simple terms, guesses.

There is an old term called RFI. Perhaps you have heard it perhaps not. It's called Reading Is Fundamental. I am not sure your issue is that or lack of reading comprehension. So much of what you are arguing is not even what I said, twisted by you to make it appear so but not. I never said accidents don't happen. They happen all the time. I did comprehend where you said accidents around the NVMC on game nights are directly due to drunks leaving the game. I am just asking you to provide some data to back up your absurd claim. The fact you can't or won't tells me all I need to know.

Admit it or not, no one on this board defends Brooklyn more than you and hey I am sure your folks are proud that you called the move and even almost nailed the date before it happened. Here's a gold star. You don't have to keep validating yourself. Once again had you taken the time to read or comprehend, right after I posted the link with the article I did say it was a good thing for all, but just minor details I know.

RIF, again not what I said. To repeat myself and so hopefully you understand this time, what I said was that having drunks confined in a crowded train can lead to altercations. Never did I compare them to drunk drivers.

I would enjoy debating the issue with you however I now realize you have nothing to bring to the table but dribble that you make up. Your issue is that you do not like being called out. You want to post and have it accepted as gospel and end of story.

I do realize that you need to have me believe that your accident theory has some legs so I'm gonna let you believe that. After you are again done patting yourself on your back, your unicorn is being tended outside by a leprechan and they are waiting to take you to see Peter in never neverland.

Your original post makes as much sense as saying Pedro going to the Mets caused other big time talent to sign with the team.

Last edited:

Bert Marshall days

Oct 31, 2006
Not sure how to break tis into to mulitple quotes and really don't care to.

So let me understand, you saw an accident in the vicinity of NVMC after a game and jumped to the conclusion that one or both of the drivers involved were drunk? This brilliant deduction came to you how? Did you get out of your car and test them? Did you interrogate them? Did you smell alcohol on their breath? Or maybe you are just trying to create some credibility to an asinine statement? Pehaps, and I know this may be hard for you to grasp, but just work with me here, perhaps the accident you saw on the ramp was caused by two cars merging at the same time? Or someone not paying attention to the road? Talking on the phone? Shall I keep going?

I have been proven wrong many times on this board and always admit when i am so no issues there. Had I come on here and stated that I have seen many muggings and thefts outside the Barclay's center you would have flown off the handle and questioned how I came up with the statement. You would have wanted the same facts to back it up as I do.

I base my reasoning on an owner who talks about spending but not backing it up. I base it on being moved to an arena not designed for the sport which will be shoe horned into it. The revenue projections, while rosy, are just that projections or in simple terms, guesses.

There is an old term called RFI. Perhaps you have heard it perhaps not. It's called Reading Is Fundamental. I am not sure your issue is that or lack of reading comprehension. So much of what you are arguing is not even what I said, twisted by you to make it appear so but not. I never said accidents don't happen. They happen all the time. I did comprehend where you said accidents around the NVMC on game nights are directly due to drunks leaving the game. I am just asking you to provide some data to back up your absurd claim. The fact you can't or won't tells me all I need to know.

Admit it or not, no one on this board defends Brooklyn more than you and hey I am sure your folks are proud that you called the move and even almost nailed the date before it happened. Here's a gold star. You don't have to keep validating yourself. Once again had you taken the time to read or comprehend, right after I posted the link with the article I did say it was a good thing for all, but just minor details I know.

RIF, again not what I said. To repeat myself and so hopefully you understand this time, what I said was that having drunks confined in a crowded train can lead to altercations. Never did I compare them to drunk drivers.

I would enjoy debating the issue with you however I now realize you have nothing to bring to the table but dribble that you make up. Your issue is that you do not like being called out. You want to post and have it accepted as gospel and end of story.

I do realize that you need to have me believe that your accident theory has some legs so I'm gonna let you believe that. After you are again done patting yourself on your back, your unicorn is being tended outside by a leprechan and they are waiting to take you to see Peter in never neverland.

Your original post makes as much sense as saying Pedro going to the Mets caused other big time talent to sign with the team.

Jealousy will get you nowhere. blah blah blah. Prove the accident. blah blah blah. That you keep harping on this shows how insecure you/your stance is. Here come the insults ie reading/comprehension as predicted because you know I'm the best predictor here. :sarcasm: Drop the act, you're bitter NYI is leaving LI and you can't handle it. So you put down Wang, Brooklyn and many posters who think otherwise and are grateful for the move. BTW, we saw the drunks get into the car. Shall I keep going?

Nah, you're not worth it. Right from the start your assumptions were wrong thinking because I'm happy NYI is in BK because the train ride is closer for me and your ignorance was shown ignoring the potential benefits of the city over the suburbs for NYI. NYI wouldn't have moved if the revenue projections weren't better than in nassore.

If you don't think things will work out in Brooklyn or for NYI what are you doing here? Do you always follow things you think will go badly and make you miserable? And take it out on others? The other poster said you hate NYI yet here you are on an NYI message board all the time? Masochistic much?

Comprehend that.

BROOKLYN BABY! LIVE IT, LEARN IT, LOVE IT, DEAL WITH IT. OR GO AWAY!!

Bert Marshall days

Oct 31, 2006
Approx 2,250 were down by ED. Asking how many will be up by the time AY is complete is like asking what language will be spoken when the United Federation of Planets comes into existence. I don't friggin' know, and neither do you. :nod:

Cheers,

Dan-o

7000 as mentioned seems like more. ;)

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
I'll count those non-existent residential units as I go to sleep tonight after an Islanders win...

Cheers,

Dan-o

potvins4cups

Aug 23, 2007
Jesus, does the word "hipster" have to be mentioned every time someone talks about Brooklyn? There are plenty of families, and normal folks who live in the borough and will be attending the games. Get out from under your rocks and actually spend some time here before thinking you know what the place is like!

I agree with what you say. long islanders who know jack squat about brooklyn like to use the term "hipster" quite often. its funny how long islanders do not like to be stereotyped like they have been for so many years, yet they do the exact same thing when talking about people from brooklyn.

potvins4cups

Aug 23, 2007
Ive worked 5 minutes walking distance from Barclays for the last year and a half now and I have yet to see a hipster in the area. Hipsters take up a very very small part of Brooklyn. If anything I would be more worried about the ghetto areas surrounding the arena as opposed to hipsters...i see ALOT more trash than I do hipsters in that area.

And uniondale is a paradise right? :shakehead

Nolanitis

Feb 19, 2007
NYC
My thoughts.... It will be great, the Isles are staying close enough for you to get there. You can watch on the same channels. And the team has some promising signs of coming of age and Mr. Wang says he can make money or break even.

I get the change sucks for commuting, but really we are getting a state of the art building that is different than everyone else's. I like that.

I have great memories in the Coliseum, so many of them. But apparently the building has to go. So be it, but more than anything else I hope the Building goes out a champion!

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Add: The bathrooms are HUGE and there are many places to eat.

I saw Michigan play W. Virginia in bball and at halftime I had to ait online for a while for the bathroom. I just don't get how in this day and age that a new venue is built without enough bathrooms to avoid a line at anytime.

Nolanitis

Feb 19, 2007
NYC
I saw Michigan play W. Virginia in bball and at halftime I had to ait online for a while for the bathroom. I just don't get how in this day and age that a new venue is built without enough bathrooms to avoid a line at anytime.

The game was @Barclay's Center?

PJGooch

Aug 2, 2005
I agree with what you say. long islanders who know jack squat about brooklyn like to use the term "hipster" quite often. its funny how long islanders do not like to be stereotyped like they have been for so many years, yet they do the exact same thing when talking about people from brooklyn.

It's funny...most of my family was born and raised in Sheepshead Bay and Marine Park, and some remain there still. My dad was a firefighter out of Mill Basin and currently works security jobs on Ocean Parkway. That Brooklyn is "full of hipsters" is news to all of them. And they thought I was out of my gourd when I told them a friend of my wife had us all out for her birthday in Greenpoint.

Might as well say Long Island is "full of wineries."

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Dude you really make me laugh.

Look I understand you are all giddy the Isles are moving to Brooklyn. I understand that your arm is sore form patting yourself on the back for predicting the move, I get all that, but the way you defend Brooklyn makes one think you might be on the payroll.

I am not now, nor have I ever "defended" NVMC. Do I like the place? I do, but I am realistic enough to know that they are moving and that's that. I am also realistic enough to know that just a move does nothing to improve this team, it's play or it's chances of signing players.

You come out with these assine statements, backed up by nothing, trying over and over to validate their decision to move. Your statement about the "many" accidents you have seen on roadways surrounding the NVMC is laughable and the fact that you summize they can all be traced back to drunk fans coming from a NYI game is even funnier. FWIW you should also read what i said before you try to respond because I never said there's never ever ever been 1 instance of a drunk driver causing an accident after a NYI game at NVMC since 1972. What I said was I have never seen one tied directly back to a NYI game.

Being a fair guy, I took the time to go back through roughly 4 years of Newsday articles involving DWI accidents and you know what? Not a single one said anything about the accident involving fans coming from a NYI game, none. Am I disputing that you may see an accident on your way home? No, but to tie that to the game is ludicris. If you want to prove me wrong, I invite you to provide a link, just some factual evidence, backing up your claim and I will be the first to say you were right.

With regards to the NYR/Philly fans, again you miss the point. In my years of working with management at NVMC, I have first hand knowledge that PARKING LOT incidents tic up when there are Ranger and Flyer games. This is mostly due to the influx of opposing fans and when you get that element and mix in a little beer things happen. Is this to say incidents do not happen when the Rangers or Flyers are not here? No, but the number of incident pale in comparison. You cannot even factor in this aspect in comparing the two locations because there is no parking at Barclay's so the opportunity to drink and get into arguments/fights with others is greatly diminished. There is no place around Barclays to tailgate so that eliminates the issue. It's apples and oranges.

In an article released today http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...s/barclays-center-crime-is-minimal-police-say it shows that crime around Barclays has been minmal thus far and that's a good thing for everyone.

Next time you want to just spew crap for the sake of spewing crap, please think twice or back it up with factual evidence. Otherwise you are just wasting everyone's time.

I go to 10-20 games a year. FWIW I have not seen one postgame accident.

eastonhockey22*

Having drunks, or people in any state of mind for that matter, confined to any area for any amount of time can lead to altercations. How is a train any different from a bar, the coliseum, a bus, or night club? I mean if anything its much easier to distance yourself from an altercation on a train. Having an argument with a stranger? Get up and walk to a different car. Problem solved.

That being said as a resident of suffolk country living near the nassau/suffolk border I couldn't be happier about the move. Now i don't have to pay for parking/gas, can pregame on the train and save money on beers, won't need a designated driver, Dont have to worry about traffic or the cluster**** of trying to leave the parking lot, and it's only gonna take an extra 15-20 minutes to get there? Sounds like a sweet deal to me!

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
Very happy to see that you guys are sticking around. Wish you were still out on the island, but Brooklyn is much better than Kansas City, obviously.

I think the stadium will work decent enough for hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad