Proposal: B Tkachuk (Ott) for M Marner (Tor)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Yeah Marian Hossa had the entire league trembling.

Spezza has been a great addition and I know he was great for you guys as well. Fight though? Fight what exactly?

He fought in the playoffs last year. Probably didn’t register in no heart Toronto but those who know - know

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
As disappointing as Marner has been in the playoffs (and he has been), he still scores at a higher rate in the playoffs than Brady does in the regular season.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Ottawa is going to win a Cup before Toronto and Brady Takchuk is going to lift it.

Marner’s a good player but there’s a reason Toronto loses in the playoffs and loses in humiliating fashion and it’s because their team has no fight besides Spezza (a former Sens Captain)

You know what's worse than losing in the playoffs ? Not even being close to making the playoffs.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Probably why the leafs will lose again in playoffs, it’s always about pace and points, not what makes a good “team”.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Joe n

Aug 12, 2019
Marner may have the potential to score more points, but Tkachuk is a more complete player and if I had to pick one for my team in the playoffs it's Brady all day every day.
He hits. What else is he better at since he is more complete?

Joe n

Aug 12, 2019
Probably why the leafs will lose again in playoffs, it’s always about pace and points, not what makes a good “team”.
This argument is just getting ridiculous. 4 years in to his career and Brady still hasn't even had a sniff of the playoffs. All these intangibles and leadership abilities should have at least got them in once. How long will it take before we actually see how good he is in the playoffs?

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
He hits. What else is he better at since he is more complete?

Tough, physical players seem to do better in the playoffs. He'll hit you back and get under your skin while also being a threat to score. I think it's safe to assume Brady will adapt well to playoff hockey considering his style and attitude. Claude Lemieux was never a superstar in the league, but he's one of the greatest playoff performers of all time.

Sure, it's all assumptions at this point but I'd rather have Tkachuk on my team than Marner, especially when you take salary into account. I see Marner as the next Seguin...a guy who can put up gaudy stats in the regular season but disappears when the games get much tougher, but he has plenty of time to change that perception.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Yeah no, Brady is a great player but he doesn’t have Marner’s natural talent and he’ll never be as good. Tkachuk can keep captaining his team to the basement.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Yeah no, Brady is a great player but he doesn’t have Marner’s natural talent and he’ll never be as good. Tkachuk can keep captaining his team to the basement.

Guarantee you by the time Brady is 24 (Marners age now) he’ll have more playoff wins then Marner will.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
This argument is just getting ridiculous. 4 years in to his career and Brady still hasn't even had a sniff of the playoffs. All these intangibles and leadership abilities should have at least got them in once. How long will it take before we actually see how good he is in the playoffs?

Not this year, but fair to him he played in the NHL as an 18 year old and came in during a rebuild. Amazing Captain at 22, the city loves this guy (unlike Tavares who Toronto is like warm to)

be careful what you wish for because the Sens are on the rise big time and you might not be worried today, but Ottawa is going to pass Toronto next season and Ottawa is built for the playoffs

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Why do people post some of the most ridiculous trade proposals that are so one-side, is beyond me.

Swapping Tchuk for Marner? OTT will do that everyday and all day. Toronto wouldn't even give the time to laugh at it.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Marner is better in every facet of the game by a large margin except for physical play. This trade makes the leafs a lot worse.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Why do people post some of the most ridiculous trade proposals that are so one-side, is beyond me.

Swapping Tchuk for Marner? OTT will do that everyday and all day. Toronto wouldn't even give the time to laugh at it.

I have to respectfully disagree here. While Marner’s contract would be attractive to Ottawa for the next few years (making about 6.25m per season real dollars with a 10.9 cap hit), he will be extremely difficult to extend and would demand an overpayment (again). Meanwhile Tkachuk has about an 8.2m cap hit for another 5 years (i think) after the current Marner contract has expired. The most likely scenario is that Ottawa would be trading 7.5 years of Tkachuk at 8.2 for 3.5 years of Marner at 10.9. Easy pass if I’m Ottawa. Haven’t even mentioned that Tkachuk is the team captain, heart and soul. Dubas wouldn’t make the trade either, but if Toronto fired him the next gm would (or should).

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Hmmmm, Brady is a decent player who brings a lot fire, crash and bang to a lineup. In my mind he's a real top 6 guy and I think the media did a great job on the coronation early in the season, but I think Ottawa made an error not putting the C on Chabot and gave the A to Tkachuck to wear. I don't see him as a game breaker and there are at least 4 Ottawa forwards that I'd play ahead of him. Eventually I can see him as a regular in the 55-60 (and maybe a few more) point club, but I don't ever see him as the top scorer in the Ottawa lineup let alone the Leafs lineup.

A straight up swap involving Marner/Tkachuk doesn't put the Leafs over the top or suddenly make them the cup favourite. We hear the "gotta get tougher" like a mantra over and over and somehow equate it with the addition of one player, but it's just not that simple. That toughness has to come from your whole lineup, if that's how you want to win, not just from one guy. If anything adding a guy like Brady without losing a major piece like Marner might be enough, but the Leafs would need to find a magic lamp to make it happen.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Guarantee you by the time Brady is 24 (Marners age now) he’ll have more playoff wins then Marner will.
You better not make promises you cant keep .....LOL...while you are wrong, I can firmly promise you neither player will make much of an impact at playoff time for the foreseeable future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad