Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Georgiev to 3-year x $3.4M AAV deal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Seems like a perfectly reasonable deal. Sure hope he’s good. I feel like he will be.

I’ll say this: Based on what I’m reading, and who was in there, it wasn’t him who was the problem. It was the locker room.

Reactions: shadow1

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
People acting like the sky is gonna fall if this kid doesn’t pan out - but most of us were cool with Frankie starting over Kuemper in the finals. I think we are gonna manage just fine with this tandem. Competition always brings out the best in players.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Seems like a perfectly reasonable deal. Sure hope he’s good. I feel like he will be.

I’ll say this: Based on what I’m reading, and who was in there, it wasn’t him who was the problem. It was the locker room.
True. And he didn't exactly have a great play driving D in front of him when he was in net. As with all new goalies in this system it probably will not look great the first 10-20 starts because he and his D will need to adjust to each other. I can't wait for the whining of bust and we will never win in the playoffs with this guy in here.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
There just were no great or even good options for Sakic.
This was from the "okay" basket which seemed to be the highest tier of the options in his disposal.

I am not liking it or hating it now.
Lets wait a few months into the season to see how it goes.
If it turns out well, we will have a reasonable starter who seems to be able to play well in the playoffs.
If it turns out badly we Mrazek him to another team with a minor cost.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I figured 10M$ over 3 years so that is in line. I trust Joe and the pro scouts. I'm curious to see what our complete lineup will look like and how much Kuemper gets. I prefer to judge the whole body of work than individual deals.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
I read somewhere Georgiev was 8-1 down the stretch for the rangers and he did look good in the two relief games he came in against Pittsburgh when Shesty was getting lit up in the playoffs. To be fair if Pittsburgh had their starter and Crosby didn’t get a cheap shot from Trouba, the Rangers probably don’t make it out of the first round with the pens with “ the best goalie in the league “ in their net. Shesty played a lot of great games this year but he played a few stinkers as well.

cccoltsicehockey

May 1, 2014
Charlotte, NC
True. And he didn't exactly have a great play driving D in front of him when he was in net. As with all new goalies in this system it probably will not look great the first 10-20 starts because he and his D will need to adjust to each other. I can't wait for the whining of bust and we will never win in the playoffs with this guy in here.
Might end up having to stay away for the first 10-20 games why the sky falls cause they are all adjusting to each other but everyone acts like the seasons is over.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Hooray! We're right back to having a bunch of posters mis-trusting the GM of the Year, who only weeks ago was holding the Stanley Cup up over his head on the ice in Tamps.

Never change, Brothers!
This place really does attract maschoism :laugh: I swear people were happier during the dark years debating about how awful everything is than now.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Price and Bobrovsky are make 10 million dollars each. Let that sink in. I feel very good about this deal.

Exactly. Paying these prices for goaltender seems outrageous, even though Price did get Montreal once to Stanley cup final.. but even he had meh seasons. Tough to justify prices.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
tumblr_oyps9kpp8O1s86mfwo1_r1_540.gifv

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
I'm actually relieved that Sakic acquired Georgiev. Looking at Murray to the TML makes me smile.

I'm curious to see what deals Campbell/Keumper sign now. For Toronto to make that deal they have to know Campbell is going to get something ridiculous right?

4.7 mill for Murray for this year and the next. I'd get it if there was some more retention but that seems like Dubas feels like the goalie market is going to be a shit show and just went and got his guy. Almost like Sakic knew as well and went after George because he knew Keumper was about to sign a big time deal.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I'm curious to see what deals Campbell/Keumper sign now. For Toronto to make that deal they have to know Campbell is going to get something ridiculous right?

4.7 mill for Murray for this year and the next. I'd get it if there was some more retention but that seems like Dubas feels like the goalie market is going to be a shit show and just went and got his guy. Almost like Sakic knew as well and went after George because he knew Keumper was about to sign a big time deal.
So glad the Avs won't have to deal with that goalie shit show. Was really pretty meh about all of the goalie options. Georgiev was the most palatable option with potential upside that fits the Avs modus operandi.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Sakics trade starting to look better and better... Also I think we will really appreciate this trade after few top free agent goaltenders sign contracts. It's going to be gross.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
So glad the Avs won't have to deal with that goalie shit show. Was really pretty meh about all of the goalie options. Georgiev was the most palatable option with potential upside that fits the Avs modus operandi.

Yeah honestly don't think there's any good options. Luckily were in a league where there's only a handful of difference makers at the position so it's not the end of the world to have average goaltending. I think if you can't get a legitimate starter going cheap should be the main thing. The fact that George is still young and has some upside/was in a disgruntled situation that potentially affected his performance is a bonus

Would you rather Matt Murray at 4.7 for 2 years? Campbell/Kuemper at presumably long term contracts like 5.5+ for 5-6 years? If I'm an Oiler fan for example I'd much rather roll the dice on a Samsonov than breaking the bank for Darcy. Guess you still have Gibson as the biggest wildcard but man if he doesn't bounce back like some think that'll be expensive with his contract/assets you give to get him.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Sakics trade starting to look better and better... Also I think we will really appreciate this trade after few top free agent goaltenders sign contracts. It's going to be gross.

This.

I'm fully expecting someone to give Campbell 6+ and Kuemper close to, if not 7m (due to being a "Cup Winning goalie". And don't get me started on the Matt Murray trade lol

Meanwhile, Sakic/C-Mac lock up a 26 year old goalie with upside still for 3 years at 3.4m.

Georgiev and Frankie are gonna make less combined than what Campbell and Kuemper will get paid on their own.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
This.

I'm fully expecting someone to give Campbell 6+ and Kuemper close to, if not 7m (due to being a "Cup Winning goalie". And don't get me started on the Matt Murray trade lol

Meanwhile, Sakic/C-Mac lock up a 26 year old goalie with upside still for 3 years at 3.4m.

Georgiev and Frankie are gonna make less combined than what Campbell and Kuemper will get paid on their own.

And then you add Red Wings signing Husso for 4,7mil and Toronto Murray trade..

How is this not a good trade? Win or lose.. I am happy.

Goaltender market is very challenging right now.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

Sakic said in yesterday's press conference that they've been having talks about Georgiev for a couple of years, so the current goalie market probably didn't affect their decision that much, beyond Kuemper pricing himself out obviously.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad