Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Georgiev to 3-year x $3.4M AAV deal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
The simple fact is that there’s about 5 goaltenders in this league that can be relied upon to be great every season.

After that there’s another five guys who are likely to be very good, but may not perform to their usual level.

After that there’s like 20 guys who can get the job done, or might struggle on any given season. Then the next batch of guys would be backups. The reality is that unless you have an elite goaltender, you’re probably better off going budget at the position and just hoping it works out and if it doesn’t, move along to the next guy.

Look at Grubauer. Fantastic numbers for Colorado, then imploded in big games in the playoffs. Kuemper. Solid numbers, but imploded in the playoffs. You just never know what you’re getting from a lot of these guys on a consistent basis.

Until the Avs get their next Roy, or at the very least Varly, you just have to keep rolling the dice.

Turbonium

Aug 21, 2020
Spain
Over the last three seasons there have been 75 goalies that played 1500+ minutes (or minimum 25 games). Here is where Georgiev ranks in certain statistical categories:

SV%: 45th
G.A.A: 30th
G.S.A.A: 45th (he's in the negatives here, though).
HD SV%: 64th

To put things into perspective here were Grubauer's numbers from 15-16 to 17-18 since he played the same role that Georgiev did. There were 63 total goalies to play 1500+ minutes and Grubauer ranked:

SV%: 1st
G.A.A: 1st
G.S.A.A: 10th
HD SV%: 3rd

The Avs are really going out on a limb with Georgiev hoping there is some untapped potential because the statistics are not kind to him at all. Yet he got the same contract Grubauer got despite being a much, much worse goalie in the same role.

Let's hope Parkkila can work his magic.

Val was terrible before coming to CO as well. Now he's maybe the most important guy we can sign. Seems like some people just want to whine and/or be miserable.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Val was terrible before coming to CO as well. Now he's maybe the most important guy we can sign. Seems like some people just want to whine and/or be miserable.
Val's underlying numbers actually weren't bad in Dallas, he just couldn't score for the life of him.

And what about my post is whining/being miserable? I'm providing an analysis of two goalies since it's clear they gave Georgiev the same deal Grubauer got.

Perhaps take a breath?

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
Val scored here because the other team was focused on 9296. Avs are perfect for his game.

Turbonium

Aug 21, 2020
Spain
Val's underlying numbers actually weren't bad in Dallas, he just couldn't score for the life of him.

And what about my post is whining/being miserable? I'm providing an analysis of two goalies since it's clear they gave Georgiev the same deal Grubauer got.

Perhaps take a breath?

My comment was more for half of the fan base, not entirely you. No breath needed, simply laughing at how quickly the negativity from so many has returned lol.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
To me it's pretty simple. What's the alternative? Pay Kuemper atleast 5.5 mill for another 5 seasons? Campbell? Even someone like Gibson who alot of people on this board like .. has pretty bad numbers and carries risk. If he doesn't bounce back like some think he can with the Avs your carrying around a monster contract not to mention losing someone like Girard so forget about a 2C.

Picking an unproven goalie with upside and giving him a contract like this was the best plan IMO. Just gotta hope our pro scouting continues to shine. If it does it'll be a home run. If it doesn't than we'll continue our trend of having shitty goaltending come playoff time. It's not even like it'll be hard to dump him if it doesn't work out.

Vk1ing

Feb 12, 2016
The potential upside with this is alot more than resigning keumper. We know that keumper was a non factor in our cup run. We have arguably the best Defensive unit in the league. He would have to be around JoJo levels for this to not work. We should be fine guys, I think Joe has done enough for the organization that we should trust his judgment

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
x2v0ni6tppp41.jpg

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Ok.... Do you want my post history? I praise Joe time and time again.

This is a bad move.
Remains to be seen.

I've been reading a lot of what Rangers fans thought of this trade and most logical ones were saying that when he's the designated starter and getting the majority of the starts, he's usually really good and can even steal games at times. When he's on back-up duty, he's just not very good.

It wasn't long ago that NYR fans wanted a high pick in exchange for Georgiev when it became apparent that Shestorkin was going to be the guy going forward. They kind of waited too long to trade him and his value went down.

All things considered, if someone told me that all the Avs needed to do was give up two 3rd round picks and a 5th to acquire their next 26 year old starting goaltender, I'd be pretty happy about it. There are never any guarantees with anyone but the pro scouts have been pretty spot on the past 3-4 years.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Really like this signing. We don't need prime Hasek in net for this team to be successful. Georgie has upside, and as long as he can make 15-22 saves per night, we'll be fine.

jabubenice

Mar 7, 2011
cayman island
I don't think it's a bad deal. It's certainly not a good one either though. I don't think he should've gotten more than Gru personally, or at most gotten the same.
Fair enough, very short term but also easily movable if he shits the bed. Also long enough if he is good enough to keep within our cup window. Think the kid will surprise people. He has a lot to prove and a massive chip on his shoulder

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Ok.... Do you want my post history? I praise Joe time and time again.

This is a bad move.
It's a gamble, maybe wait and see how he plays before calling it a bad move? They gave him more AAV for 3 years instead of lower AVV for 1 year prove it deal. If he puts up good numbers this year on a 1 year deal, he'd be looking to cash in as an UFA and we'd be back to the same spot we were in looking for another goalie. At least if he plays well here he'd be locked up for another 2 years. Why can't people understand that?

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I like the deal, pretty much what I said I was expecting ($3.3Mx3 was my guess).

Good luck kid. Here's your chance to start (and, oh yeah, defend the Stanley Cup too).

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad