Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Georgiev to 3-year x $3.4M AAV deal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Guessing Grubauer's $3.33m was the baseline here and he got an extra $66.7k to reflect a % rise of the cap.

His QO was 1 x $2.65m, so the logic was probably 2 years at $3m, or 3 years at ~$3.35m, a ~$350k increase per UFA year bought.

This was definitely ~$400k more than what I was hoping for. Together with the $250k raise for Cogliano that's $650k that might have been saved with some harder negotiation.

Overall can't be too upset here though. The Avs have their starting goalie locked in for 3 years at a relatively cheap caphit. If he has success it'll look like a good value deal.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
If he plays well this will be another masterful move by Joe. But if he struggles, the Avs are going to be stuck with this contract.

Pretty much. If our pro scouting continues to be great and we get average starting goaltending for 3 years for 3.4 mill it'll be another home run by Sakic.

If he struggles than we'll basically have overpaid him by 1 mill for the next 3 seasons. I like the confidence by Sakic. If your going to roll the dice, commit. If we signed him for 2.8-3 mill for 2 seasons it'll just another Gru/Keumper situation if he works out in 2 years. Getting that extra year if your betting on him being a starting quality goaltender for like 300-500K makes sense IMO.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
They could’ve gone $2.9M on 2 years, but then you’re basically saying you don’t believe this is going to work out. The Avs obviously believe in the player.

This move has always been a risk. If he becomes a mid level starter then this deal is amazing, if he plays around a .900 SV% then you’re overpaying for backup level play.

Reactions: Slaydagnar

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
@Richard88

One down, three to go ;)

MR4cpY6.png

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL

And now we know your twitter handle :D

Guessing Grubauer's $3.33m was the baseline here and he got an extra $66.7k to reflect a % rise of the cap.

His QO was 1 x $2.65m, so the logic was probably 2 years at $3m, or 3 years at ~$3.35m, a ~$350k increase per UFA year bought.

This was definitely ~$400k more than what I was hoping for. Together with the $250k raise for Cogliano that's $650k that might have been saved with some harder negotiation.

Overall can't be too upset here though. The Avs have their starting goalie locked in for 3 years at a relatively cheap caphit. If he has success it'll look like a good value deal.
Ain’t nobody trying to save 650k vs upgrading the team :naughty:

Reactions: Reparlana

jabubenice

Mar 7, 2011
cayman island
I was thinking between 3 and 3.5, so this is right where I expected.
exactly this... reading the main boards take, you would think sakic shit the bed...reminds me how toxic this site and its couch managers can be... goalies are going for a premium at the moment and getting a young potential starter for jus over $3 million is a good move. gives us massive flexibility

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'm happy with this. It's a bit risky but we can't run into a situation where we have no starter every year. Three years of cheap goaltending is a good thing.

Ultimately if it doesn't work just do what the Leafs just did with Mrazek.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
QO was 2.65M so no surprises here that he got more than that and obviously Sakic had to pay for the 3rd year. For 3 years I was hoping it was going to be 3.2M so I'm ok with that. If he turns out like I think he will people will be very pleased that Sakic paid a bit more for that 3rd year.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
QO was 2.65M so no surprises here that he got more than that and obviously Sakic had to pay for the 3rd year. For 3 years I was hoping it was going to be 3.2M so I'm ok with that. If he turns out like I think he will people will be very pleased that Sakic paid a bit more for that 3rd year.
Given the UFA contracts the last 3 goalies have signed or are projected to sign…definitely want that 3rd year.

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad