Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Georgiev to 3-year x $3.4M AAV deal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
One thing I just realized that threw me for a loop.

Georgiev is younger than both Shesterkin & Sorokin, who are what I would call, two of the best young and upcoming goalies. Wish we signed him for 4+ years now.

EDIT: English hard

Let's chill for a bit--Georgiev has had a phenomenal start to the season but there are a lot of games left to play. The Avs were right not to go overboard with the contract.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Let's chill for a bit--Georgiev has had a phenomenal start to the season but there are a lot of games left to play. The Avs were right not to go overboard with the contract.
Agreed. We'll see how he reacts mentally in tougher times. With the Rags when things weren't going well in the locker room and/or with his status on the team he couldn't stop a beach ball.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
George had never lacked talent… it has been between the ears and consistency. He’s been prone to very hot and very cold play. He has to prove he can handle the lows of the season and as pressure ratchets up.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Agreed. We'll see how he reacts mentally in tougher times. With the Rags when things weren't going well in the locker room and/or with his status on the team he couldn't stop a beach ball.
Small.sample size but he was better than Sgesterkin down the stretch and I to.the layoffs where Shesterkin took the gas

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
George had never lacked talent… it has been between the ears and consistency. He’s been prone to very hot and very cold play. He has to prove he can handle the lows of the season and as pressure ratchets up.

Wasn't his big thing that he sucked sharing the net? I won't pretend to know who was to blame but it does seem like there was issues in the lockerroom. Seems to be differing opinions.

I am happy we rolled the dice on someone with some upside.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Wasn't his big thing that he sucked sharing the net? I won't pretend to know who was to blame but it does seem like there was issues in the lockerroom. Seems to be differing opinions.

I am happy we rolled the dice on someone with some upside.

He didn't like that the net was taken from him. You could probably make a case either way that he didn't take over the starter's role when given an opportunity or that when he struggled the Rangers used that first opportunity to give Shesty a chance (who ran with it). Either way in the outlook, he wasn't happy about being a backup and wasn't the best teammate about it.

The real test for George is when he struggles and gets into a slump, how he reacts to it and possibly Bednar rolling with Frank for a bit (which Bednar tends to roll with hot hands frequently).

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He didn't like that the net was taken from him. You could probably make a case either way that he didn't take over the starter's role when given an opportunity or that when he struggled the Rangers used that first opportunity to give Shesty a chance (who ran with it). Either way in the outlook, he wasn't happy about being a backup and wasn't the best teammate about it.

The real test for George is when he struggles and gets into a slump, how he reacts to it and possibly Bednar rolling with Frank for a bit (which Bednar tends to roll with hot hands frequently).

I thought I read that after the whole incident between him and DeAngelo, Jacob Trouba took DeAngelo's side and effectively aligned the locker room against him. Personally I think Trouba is a dirtbag through and through. He was a horrid pick for captain, but whatever, George so far has been a masterful pickup.

Gumballhead

Nov 18, 2002
Chicago
scotchhorns.bandcamp.com
I trust Joe and Co. They might have done it again, but goalies are very tricky to predict. So far he's been pretty damn good and he definitely seems like a guy who will build confidence with each good performance. Hopefully the reverse isn't true as well, but considering the wounded state of our D lately, I am encouraged.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
You would have to imagine something needs to happen with the Sens. But it's a tricky situation with the team having no ownership. You would imagine the GM doesn't get to fire his 2nd coach in 3 years, he would have to go as well. But who has the authority and the balls to make that decision with the team looking for a new owner?

Dreger has said it AFAIK that Dorion still has full authority to make whatever hockey decisions he deems necessary. Then if I'm Dorion, I'm making moves right now. Because if this ship doesn't get righted now, no effin way he's continuing in his post under new ownership.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I thought I read that after the whole incident between him and DeAngelo, Jacob Trouba took DeAngelo's side and effectively aligned the locker room against him. Personally I think Trouba is a dirtbag through and through. He was a horrid pick for captain, but whatever, George so far has been a masterful pickup.

It goes deeper than that and the locker room was never really fully aligned (almost none ever fully are) to one side or another. George had his own little clique within that room, and has a rep as a guy who really isn't a great teammate. Whether deserved or not all depends on perspective and side.

What really matters if is George plays well. If he does, then any of the off ice stuff doesn't matter in the least. Plenty of bad teammates get tolerated as long as they produce and help the team win. If things don't go well, that is when these divisions end up mattering.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I doubt that's really the full story.

Reactions: Balthazar

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
It goes deeper than that and the locker room was never really fully aligned (almost none ever fully are) to one side or another. George had his own little clique within that room, and has a rep as a guy who really isn't a great teammate. Whether deserved or not all depends on perspective and side.

What really matters if is George plays well. If he does, then any of the off ice stuff doesn't matter in the least. Plenty of bad teammates get tolerated as long as they produce and help the team win. If things don't go well, that is when these divisions end up mattering.

It could also possibly be said that maybe it just wasn't a right fit in NY. In the right situation, maybe he's a fantastic teammate. Are there any rumblings of him not being a great teammate anywhere other than NY?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It could also possibly be said that maybe it just wasn't a right fit in NY. In the right situation, maybe he's a fantastic teammate. Are there any rumblings of him not being a great teammate anywhere other than NY?
Yeah... there's stuff around the Russian national teams (very good chance he's never invited to play for Russia again) and his move to TPS was rooted in it too.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Yeah... there's stuff around the Russian national teams (very good chance he's never invited to play for Russia again) and his move to TPS was rooted in it too.
He has represented Russia after joining TPS. And nothing I've heard from his days in TPS would suggest anything of such. On the contrary, have heard from multiple people how liked he was among teammates, staff and media personel. Now I do have my own (maybe far fetched but not really) theory on why he didn't get along with the Russians at NYR, and if he had problems with the NT that would extend to that as well.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
He has represented Russia after joining TPS. And nothing I've heard from his days in TPS would suggest anything of such. On the contrary, have heard from multiple people how liked he was among teammates, staff and media personel. Now I do have my own (maybe far fetched but not really) theory on why he didn't get along with the Russians at NYR, and if he had problems with the NT that would extend to that as well.
The issues weren't with TPS, they were with Voskrensenk that lead him to going to TPS to begin with. The Russian national team stuff is from the 2019 Worlds. These are not exactly secrets and there is some legitimacy on both sides. I'm not judging him as a bad teammate, just saying he has a reputation that has followed him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad