Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Georgiev to 3-year x $3.4M AAV deal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I have always maintained since my playing days that goalies are f***ing crazy. They have weird routines to get themselves ready for the game, and a lot of times separate themselves from the team as part of that mental and physical preparation. Don't tell me you don't think guys like Roy and Hasek weren't (and still are) whackjobs. At least Roy is a charming whackjob.

Ones I've encountered as a teammate and opponent have been moody, bratty, unstable motherf***ers. So when I read that Georgiev can be a bit of a pissant my reaction is, yeah, he's a goalie, what else is new?

Goalies in the NHL tend to be on one side or the other personality-wise. They're either total grumps like Grubauer or loveable human teddy bears like Frankie and Boods. And then you have a seething asshole like Binnington who's completely off the grid.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don't know why we always talk about Goergie as if there was truth behind the idea he was a bad teammate in New York.

Rumors tend to take on a life of their own, and if the guy on the other side of that divide was Tony DAngelo, then I don't know why we assume Georgie wasn't in the right for sticking up for himself against DeAngelo and whatever other bully dickheads there are on that team including Trouba.

They gave away his starters job, half the team turned against him, there was at least one and probably more abolsute dickheads like DeAngelo giving him shit for losses and goals and who knows what else. Hard to be the happy go lucky backup that goes along with that, and when you're a soft spoken guy like him, that could give the impression you're a worse teammate than you actually are. He just needed out of there.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Mikko and Artsi seem to like him. If those guys like him - I am saying bullshit to anyone trying to present him as a bad team mate.

Being buddies with a couple guys pretty much means nothing in this regard. His history is pretty well documented, and depending on your perspective he could be viewed as simply being competitive and outspoken... or he could be an entitled asshole who wants things handed to him and lashes out when he doesn't get his way. In many cases, the truth lies in the middle.

One team's bad teammate, can be another team's leader. Or a bad teammate at 23 might end up a fantastic leader at 30. Being a great leader and teammate doesn't mean you are a good person (or vice versa).

Reactions: zzs06

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
He stops pucks. IDGAF about anything else.
As long as he's doing that, you won't hear a peep about him being a bad teammate.

FTR Varly came with similar baggage when he arrived in Denver. Reportedly he and Ovechkin didn't get along at all.

Many players have this label. Some deserved, some not. Varly is proof how it can change and evolve. Varly wasn't well liked by the end of his tenure in Washington. Through the years he ended up very well liked in Colorado and he's raved about in the Isles locker room. Maybe the biggest reason they don't move him is that he is so well liked and has helped Sorokin a ton.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
As Henchy has pointed out, being a good teammate and being a good person are not mutually exclusive. Patrick Kane continually proves this.

Also, let's not get too hung up about this "bad teammate" thing. There is a huge spectrum to be had here, it's not like a guy can either be a beloved member of the club or a cancer in the locker room. There's a lot of room for different personalities. So the f*** what if he might be kind of an asshole? I don't care so long as he plays well and conducts himself as a reasonably good human outside of the rink.

Right now the guy is playing some fantastic net. That's all that really matters for the time being.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Third in the league in GSAA now. Can't believe the Rangers chose Igor over him. Fools.

9719792152d6db6d66d88cef59566a6ab465a897.gifv

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
As Henchy has pointed out, being a good teammate and being a good person are not mutually exclusive. Patrick Kane continually proves this.

Also, let's not get too hung up about this "bad teammate" thing. There is a huge spectrum to be had here, it's not like a guy can either be a beloved member of the club or a cancer in the locker room. There's a lot of room for different personalities. So the f*** what if he might be kind of an asshole? I don't care so long as he plays well and conducts himself as a reasonably good human outside of the rink.

Right now the guy is playing some fantastic net. That's all that really matters for the time being.
Yea that's blown way out of proportions. Let's be honest, I don't know how anyone could describe MacKinnon as anything but an asshole on and off the ice.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
And I think that gets blown out of proportion too. He actually strikes me as quite chill when he's not on the ice.

Was gonna say this. Sure, he lost it on Bednar and I'm not proud of that, but let's not confuse passion and an insane level of competitiveness for being an asshole. He comes off pretty chill off the ice at least.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Was gonna say this. Sure, he lost it on Bednar and I'm not proud of that, but let's not confuse passion and an insane level of competitiveness for being an asshole. He comes off pretty chill off the ice at least.

He was the only NHL player or coach IMO who had a proper response to Jalen Ramsey's claim that he was athletic enough to learn hockey in like six months or whatever. Everyone else got all butthurt over it, especially Evander Kane. Nate was all, hey, it could be fun.

And really, it feels like him being an asshole over his teammates' eating habits made at least a couple of those players better. Both Nuke and Calvert had career seasons and both attributed it to Nate's rather strong suggestion that they fix their eating habits.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
He was the only NHL player or coach IMO who had a proper response to Jalen Ramsey's claim that he was athletic enough to learn hockey in like six months or whatever. Everyone else got all butthurt over it, especially Evander Kane. Nate was all, hey, it could be fun.

And really, it feels like him being an asshole over his teammates' eating habits made at least a couple of those players better. Both Nuke and Calvert had career seasons and both attributed it to Nate's rather strong suggestion that they fix their eating habits.

Among other things, I'm sure.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
He's looked really good so far. Yeah, its a small sample size, but he looks so much more positionally sound than Grubauer or Kuemper. He doesn't need to be the best goalie in the league on this team, just stop most of the shots and steal an occasional game for us when we have a bad night.

Hopefully when he has a bad game, HFAvs can remind themselves that all goalies have bad games including top tier goalies like Vasi, Roy, Hasek, Brodeur, Dryden, etc...

Who am I kidding? The whole board will melt down.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Did a small thread on Georgiev, the TL;DR is Georgiev is having a top 5 season via the numbers & if you really go past the surface you can start to make an argument about being a Vezina Finalist. This isn't a goalie being carried like Vanacek.

I think that Sakic made a huge mistake. He should have signed Gerogie for 7 years. He seems to be playing better then Kempie or Groobie.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Looking back on this thread, seems only a handful of posters were upset with this deal.

LOOONG way to go, but there seems to now be some solid evidence on why the Avs kept looking to acquire this guy over the years.

I wonder how much Parkilla had say in getting him. I’d have to assume they run through him at least when it comes to pro scouting for goalies.

jabubenice

Mar 7, 2011
cayman island
He's looked really good so far. Yeah, its a small sample size, but he looks so much more positionally sound than Grubauer or Kuemper. He doesn't need to be the best goalie in the league on this team, just stop most of the shots and steal an occasional game for us when we have a bad night.

Hopefully when he has a bad game, HFAvs can remind themselves that all goalies have bad games including top tier goalies like Vasi, Roy, Hasek, Brodeur, Dryden, etc...

Who am I kidding? The whole board will melt down.
exactly this..

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
Being a native New Yorker, I can tell you what a bunch of a**holes Ranger fans are. And the press. And, of course, that idiot owner Charles Dolan. (Long time Knicks season tix holder, but Islander fan.) Add in some Russian angst ( ever wonder why there is frequently a conflict with a Russian in these types of dialogues?) But I think a few posters here have nailed the answer: Finland. Yes, he is Russian, but has long spoken Finnish, and lived there. So coming to a team with two Finns playing big roles, plus a Finnish goalie coach and Annunen in the wings as a backup must have been like Christmas some early.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think that Sakic made a huge mistake. He should have signed Gerogie for 7 years. He seems to be playing better then Kempie or Groobie.

It's almost always a huge mistake to go max term with a goalie. And I promise you the cap hit would not have been as palatable as it currently is if Sakic pushed for more years. Right now he's at great value (there are backups making more than he is) up until his age 29-30 year. This also gives them time to develop a goalie in-house.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad