Confirmed with Link: Avs sign Georgiev to 3-year x $3.4M AAV deal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis
Georgiev’s raw numbers look pretty pedestrian as well as some of his analytics. But 5v5 he has only allowed 2 goals and is second in the league (to Carter Hart) in 5v5 goals saved above expected according to Money Puck. He drops to 30th overall if you include all situations.

Personally, I’m very happy with what I’ve seen from him so far. Kuemper had good regular season numbers with us last year but he always felt like a poor fit due to really poor lateral quickness. Georgiev is the exact opposite and has been solid. Hopefully this continues but the early returns have been excellent.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I like him a lot so far. Rebound control is not ideal but we knew the Avs weren't getting that type of goalie. But it's better than Kuemper, who would sometimes find new and exciting ways to have a puck bounce off of him into the absolute worst possible areas of the ice, especially in the closing minutes of a game.

Also, this might be hyperbole but I can't recall the last time the Avs had a goalie who wandered outside the crease to handle pucks who didn't scare the living shit outta me when he did so. Frankie is notoriously bad at this, especially when he just waits by the boards and sends a clearing attempt right into a forechecker's shin pads. I seem to recall Varly and Groob were pretty bad as well, Kuemper was...fine I think, and we all know Roy was a goddamned adventure anytime he tried his best Ron Hextall imitation.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Dude was much quicker to adjust to the Avs style than Grubauer and Kuemper...and the Avs havent really played well yet.

The Avs style (usually) is to limit shots on the goalie. Georgiev just has to stay awake

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The Avs style (usually) is to limit shots on the goalie. Georgiev just has to stay awake

I don't think Georgiev staying awake is an issue right now. They're not limiting shots on the goalie very well to start the year. And they've been giving up a whole lot in prime scoring chances. It was only the home opener against the Hawks did Georgie have a laughably light workload. And in the last game they did a great job in the first, but kinda got caved in the subsequent two periods.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I like him a lot so far. Rebound control is not ideal but we knew the Avs weren't getting that type of goalie. But it's better than Kuemper, who would sometimes find new and exciting ways to have a puck bounce off of him into the absolute worst possible areas of the ice, especially in the closing minutes of a game.

Also, this might be hyperbole but I can't recall the last time the Avs had a goalie who wandered outside the crease to handle pucks who didn't scare the living shit outta me when he did so. Frankie is notoriously bad at this, especially when he just waits by the boards and sends a clearing attempt right into a forechecker's shin pads. I seem to recall Varly and Groob were pretty bad as well, Kuemper was...fine I think, and we all know Roy was a goddamned adventure anytime he tried his best Ron Hextall imitation.
Craig Anderson never really worried me when he left the crease to handle the puck.

Avs have given up 30+ shots in every game except the Chicago one I believe. George and Frank are seeing a ton of rubber.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah he's been surprisingly ok/good. His numbers would be significantly better if the Avs weren't abysmal on the PK as well. 5 on 5 he's been solid despite the Avs defense as a team being pretty poor.

...Mind you I think the goalie plays a higher role regarding a teams PK success then stats suggest. But he's definitely been essentially hung out to dry on a couple of SHGs already.

MartinSkoulYa

MAAAAAckinon
Apr 7, 2018
Toronto

Patrick Roy's spin-o-rama at center ice is the greatest display of puck handling by a goaltender of all time

• Haha
Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Patrick Roy's spin-o-rama at center ice is the greatest display of puck handling by a goaltender of all time

A thing of beauty.

The time he wandered out of the net in the 2001 SCF, nearly got caught for a goal against, and then DID IT AGAIN just a few shifts later and got burned? That was not a thing of beauty.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Yeah he's been surprisingly ok/good. His numbers would be significantly better if the Avs weren't abysmal on the PK as well. 5 on 5 he's been solid despite the Avs defense as a team being pretty poor.

...Mind you I think the goalie plays a higher role regarding a teams PK success then stats suggest. But he's definitely been essentially hung out to dry on a couple of SHGs already.

As a Rangers fan coming over to see how he was doing in Colorado, I doubt many of us are surprised. He's far from perfect but he was really good for us, he just got pushed out by Shesterkin. Good to see he's off to a decent start, I think he'll have a very solid year out there.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Rebound control is something Parkkila needs to work on with him. But a great statement game here against his former team, a contender too.
He has that Varly athleticism. If Parkkila can fine tune the technique a bit more and George finds a way to stay consistent (big ifs) I suddenly am not worried at all about goaltending

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
There were just times where he moved so damn quickly from side to side with purpose it was impressive to me. Even when shots didn't necessarily materialize, he was making great moves to be in position at all times. Just completely as dialed in as I've seen an Avalanche goalie in a long, long time.

[edit...It would be absolutely rude to also not at least acknowledge the performance on the other end of the ice. I think the Rangers are going to be fine in net. I'm just happy as hell that we had an opening for George.]

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad