Post-Game Talk: Avs @ Rangers: The Legend of Ryan O'Reilly

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
I pretty much missed 97% of this game but from what I can see we are really starting to ger our **** together. 30-40 shots a game, we are now capable of scoring 4-5 goals a game like nothing and Hank is back to being Hank.

I love it.

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
Really liking Micheletti like I never really did before. Maybe now that the team's exciting to watch he's upped his game too. Loved his observation tonight, you don't have to be a fast team to play fast.

MTrangers

Oct 26, 2012
Missoula, MT
I can't even remember the last total stinker game that we've had...

I truly think this is a better team than the 11-12 team. That team completely overachieved.

I think we are 50-50 odds or better against every team in the East in a 7 game series except for Pitt. I think our game translates much better against Boston than it did last year.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

I truly think this is a better team than the 11-12 team. That team completely overachieved.

I think we are 50-50 odds or better against every team in the East in a 7 game series except for Pitt. I think our game translates much better against Boston than it did last year.

I still don't think we have the size to handle Lucic or their 4th line in a playoff series, both of whom ran wild last year.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So here are my thoughts:

I would watch Detroit play for years and envy how they never let the other team have the puck. Now obviously we're not those Detroit teams but I think for one game we looked like it.

I don't think I've ever seen a goalie play a better game where he gave up 5-1. If it wasn't for Varlamov it could have been 10-1.

The top line was probably our 3rd best line of our top 3. So nice to see how on any given game any line can score.

I love our D now. Every time I think of our negatives like lack of top end skill and size, I remember that our D is one of the best in the world.

This team can also skate for days and pass. Very happy to have a team like this. I couldn't take it with Torts' neanderthal hockey anymore. Even in the playoffs last year, because of the skill of guys like Brassard and Zucc we scored a number of beautiful goals and had a 3 games where we scored 4 or more goals but we'd live in our zone, until game 7 when we scored a few goals and the Caps just gave up.

A negative, WTF was Kreider doing on that penalty? Sometimes it seems like he wants to cheat but thinks the refs won't notice it.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Last total stinker was Pittsburgh, 5-2 and last partial stinker was the Isles loss when we blew 2 2 goal leads and sucked most of the game. :teach:

ajdj10

Feb 14, 2012
Neverland

Probably against the Pens that we had a really crap game from what I can remember.
Every other game when haven't been dominated like we were at the start of the season.
So much fun to watch now with all the goals!
Although that 5 on 3 PK was probably even more enjoyable to watch than a goal albeit nerve wracking. :)

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Really liking Micheletti like I never really did before. Maybe now that the team's exciting to watch he's upped his game too. Loved his observation tonight, you don't have to be a fast team to play fast.

I think he actually gets to do analysis now that we're winning, rather than just lamenting the poor luck on-air.

It's not dissimilar to this board, actually.

MTrangers

Oct 26, 2012
Missoula, MT
Last total stinker was Pittsburgh, 5-2 and last partial stinker was the Isles loss when we blew 2 2 goal leads and sucked most of the game. :teach:

I don't count the partial stinker. Even in 11-12 it seems like if we fell behind we'd just be stomped and the games we won we snuck ahead and just held on for dear life. Now we are actually winning at hockey and not just Hanking and hoping.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I don't count the partial stinker. Even in 11-12 it seems like if we fell behind we'd just be stomped and the games we won we snuck ahead and just held on for dear life. Now we are actually winning at hockey and not just Hanking and hoping.

We would score a lot of goals early that year, but I never got the feeling like they controlled games. They'd grind out goals by grinders. It was ugly hockey and not sustainable.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I'm now wondering if it's even worth trading Callahan. This team has dominated for like 2 months now. We're scoring goals, our D is top 3 in the league, and Hank is back to being Hank (with a good backup in Talbot).

I know there's a risk will lose Callahan in UFA if they don't trade him now, but will also be throwing away this season as well.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm now wondering if it's even worth trading Callahan. This team has dominated for like 2 months now. We're scoring goals, our D is top 3 in the league, and Hank is back to being Hank (with a good backup in Talbot).

I know there's a risk will lose Callahan in UFA if they don't trade him now, but will also be throwing away this season as well.

I know he was a total beast today, but we're not trading Hank, McDonagh, Staal, Nash, or Zucc. We won't be throwing away the season.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I know he was a total beast today, but we're not trading Hank, McDonagh, Staal, Nash, or Zucc. We won't be throwing away the season.

Sure, we won't be trading Hank, McD, Staal, Nash or Zucc. However, that isn't the point.

You don't team morale will be decreased if we trade the captain of this team who's a fan favorite and well respected in the locker room (also on the ice and off of it)? Sure, you can say that they're professionals and that they'll get over it, but it doesn't always work like that.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Sure, we won't be trading Hank, McD, Staal, Nash or Zucc. However, that isn't the point.

You don't team morale will be decreased if we trade the captain of this team who's a fan favorite and well respected in the locker room (also on the ice and off of it)? Sure, you can say that they're professionals and that they'll get over it, but it doesn't always work like that.

Maybe, maybe not. But play-wise he hasn't been that great till this game.

RothmanHockey

For the mathemagicians: Can you post Hank's stats through the last 10 games, and link me to the website you use to find these numbers.

Not sure if there's a website that does it, but Rangers PR sent this out as part of their post-game notes tonight:

- Henrik Lundqvist made 27 saves to extend his winning streak to four games (4-0-0, 1.50 goals against average, .950 save percentage during the streak), and improve to 21-18-3 overall with an 11-11-3 mark at home this season. He has held opponents to two goals or less in 10 of his last 11 games (9-2-0, 1.46 goals against average, .952 save percentage, and one shutout over the span), and is 11-3-1 with a 1.85 goals against average, .940 save percentage, and one shutout in his last 15. Lundqvist is now three wins away from the 300th of his NHL career, and four wins shy of Mike Richter's franchise record of 301 career victories.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York

It's not worth trading him, I had to stay away from this forum because the last week has been depressing and made me angry to even talk about this subject.

His teammates love him, his coach is a fan (need to get him back on the PP, AV!), to remove him would be ripping the heart out of this team. Sather needs to keep negotiating, and they need to get a deal going. If they overpay a little, so be it, the cap is going up so they can afford it.

Some fun stats....

Cally now has 11 points (4 G , 7 A) in his last 15 games, with a + 8 rating since being back from his last injury, and while being starved for points since AV has not put him back on one of the PP units, and how great has the PP been as of late? So It's not just one fluke game. He has been contributing in a big way since being back. Also 7 hits tonight! Just explains the all around player he is.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Brad Richard was really, really good tonight.

his whole line was killing it, as was the brassard line.

the stepan line was meh.

rangers just flat out dominated one of the best teams in the west.

2nd game of a back to back or not, thats a convincing win.

ROR, Stastny, MacKinnon, Landeskog, Duchene...that team has some serious firepower and we just manhandled them.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Call me crazy but I think we're a better team than Colorado. Those guys are more dangerous offensively, but their defense is just so poor. I think we have a better chance in the playoffs than them.

MTrangers

Oct 26, 2012
Missoula, MT
It's not worth trading him, I had to stay away from this forum because the last week has been depressing and made me angry to even talk about this subject.

His teammates love him, his coach is a fan (need to get him back on the PP, AV!), to remove him would be ripping the heart out of this team. Sather needs to keep negotiating, and they need to get a deal going. If they overpay a little, so be it, the cap is going up so they can afford it.

Some fun stats....

Cally now has 11 points (4 G , 7 A) in his last 15 games, with a + 8 rating since being back from his last injury, and while being starved for points since AV has not put him back on one of the PP units, and how great has the PP been as of late? So It's not just one fluke game. He has been contributing in a big way since being back. Also 7 hits tonight! Just explains the all around player he is.

You may be right about him playing better lately, but regardless, it sounds like your heart is guiding your hopes and your decisions if you were GM. One of the most important things in pro sports is to not get attached to players. I think what Sather offered him (6.0x5 years) is more than fair. As a Rangers fan, I'm almost offended that that isn't enough for him to stay in blue.

mti79

May 11, 2007
Yesterday, 11:26 AM
mti79
First game since opening night. WHooo!!!!lLooking forward to being back in the Garden. Rangers win big. 5-1!

I hate to brag but I'm not right that often.... I was due to get something right.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
Callahan was awesome. Take the damn deal!
Staal, that 5 on 3 was a key moment of the game and he stayed the whole time. With only 2 hours of sleep. Impressive. He is back to playing top notch D again.
Hank, just phenomenal saves.
McDonagh, see Staal
Hagelin was excellent. all over the ice, he made that line go..

On the other side, RoR and Duchene were underwheleming.
RoR -5
Duchene -5
McGinn -5

Those are some ugly numbers.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You may be right about him playing better lately, but regardless, it sounds like your heart is guiding your hopes and your decisions if you were GM. One of the most important things in pro sports is to not get attached to players. I think what Sather offered him (6.0x5 years) is more than fair. As a Rangers fan, I'm almost offended that that isn't enough for him to stay in blue.

You see what a player has done for you, what they are doing now, and what they can offer moving forward. He has played very well since being back, and tonight's game was just an indication of what he can still bring to this organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad