Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
IMO people would rather see a more skilled or at least possible upside younger guy like a Compher instead of McLeod but I personally don't have issue with him there. I agree he generally does his job and he's actually a huge fan favorite for the casuals. Every coach likes his vets. The longest tenured Avs who wears a letter isn't getting benched but it's the #newera so we'll see.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
There is no problem with McLeod if he's kept to a 5-7 minute limit per game and isn't the best player on his own line. When he started to get more than that and creep up into the lineup, onto the powerplay and be the extra attacker late in games, that is when it would anger me but that's not a McLeod decision, it's a coaching decision. One that I hope Bednar does not make because McLeod isn't anywhere close to good enough to play more than 5-7 minutes per game in the NHL at this point.

When McLeod played with Cliche and Bordeleau, it was painful to watch because McLeod was the best player on that line and that's not saying a lot. But when he played with Mitchell and Skille, he was clearly the 3rd best player on the line and that allows him to just do his job and keep things simple.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Replacing McLeod isn't going to change anything for the Avs. Besides what good is it playing Compher 5-8 mins a night when he could be playing 15+mins a night in the AHL.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If we have a 4th line of McLeod-Mitchell-G Bourque, we'll be fine. We just can't have those guys play above that. That's where we run into problems.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
If we have a 4th line of McLeod-Mitchell-G Bourque, we'll be fine. We just can't have those guys play above that. That's where we run into problems.
Agree with this. McLeod is fine on the 4th line (not above that) as long as the other two are more skilled than he is so he can concentrate on digging for the puck instead of trying to make the plays to the other two.

I also agree with CB Joe that Compher is much better off playing big minutes in the AHL than playing 4th line on the Avs. I'm OK with him playing his first few games as a 4th liner for a short call-up or to get used to the NHL on a longer call-up but then it's top-9 or back to the AHL.

Compher will become a fan favorite very quickly around here.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Not to really jump on anyone's post but it's becoming a bit of a peeve of mine to always hear about sending so and so down and they'll just get huge minutes in the AHL (or in goalies case ECHL) like there's infinite spots, minutes and lines to go around down there. These teams operate as their own entity and have guys they signed, particularly vets, who are going to get a significant role. A guy like Bigras sure he would get a lot of minutes but people also assume Siemens, Geertsen and more are going to get a ton of minutes too. Compher would probably have a decent role too but they didn't go out and buy an entire AHL top line for nothing either. And I have yet to see a young guy sent to the ECHL given the starting goalie job too. I get the argument that 30 development minutes > 5 NHL minutes but my point is that it's not so clear cut. It wouldn't hurt Compher to take the AHL step but I don't think he's going to be used as a top line guy there as it is, I think his type of game is more suited to jumping into the NHL with lower minutes anyway.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Cody plays hard every shift, he knows his role and plays it effectively and does all the dirty, inglorious jobs. The rest of the team could learn a few things from the way he plays. I'm fine with him on the fourth line, as long as he's not pushed up the lineup. Never understood all the hate for him around here.

It's not hateful to suggest that there might be better players, like Compher/Bourque/Smith, in the organization that might bump him out of the lineup.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Cody aint going anywhere, esp with a super new HC that will probably rely on his advice dealing with his new team thats just getting younger by the year it seems.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
For a guy with limited talent to work hard to add penalty killer to his list of skills when the major part of his skill set (punching) became obsolete, I have a lot of respect for Cody McLeod.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Not to really jump on anyone's post but it's becoming a bit of a peeve of mine to always hear about sending so and so down and they'll just get huge minutes in the AHL (or in goalies case ECHL) like there's infinite spots, minutes and lines to go around down there. These teams operate as their own entity and have guys they signed, particularly vets, who are going to get a significant role. A guy like Bigras sure he would get a lot of minutes but people also assume Siemens, Geertsen and more are going to get a ton of minutes too. Compher would probably have a decent role too but they didn't go out and buy an entire AHL top line for nothing either. And I have yet to see a young guy sent to the ECHL given the starting goalie job too. I get the argument that 30 development minutes > 5 NHL minutes but my point is that it's not so clear cut. It wouldn't hurt Compher to take the AHL step but I don't think he's going to be used as a top line guy there as it is, I think his type of game is more suited to jumping into the NHL with lower minutes anyway.

Well Compher is a guy that might not ever be any more than a depth NHLer anyway. If we're waiting for him to get top 6 minutes, it may never happen. I think the issue with him might be 4th line NHL versus middle 6 AHL. Before this weekend, I thought he'd start in the AHL to get his feet wet before being the first injury call up. But it seems that injury call up might be earlier than expected. He'll have to earn it though. We'll see how he does in camp. Sure wouldn't shock me to see Martinsen on the 3rd line to start the season.

I'm not that concerned about Siemens getting minutes anymore. If he can't earn them at the AHL level, how's he ever going to contribute in the NHL? And Geertsen will only have to battle with Bigras until Bigras gets called up which should be soon. Zadorov is already out of his way, and for one reason or another Siemens will be out of his way soon too. He should be able to get solid time this year.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Had a little fun on capfriendly with next offseason's abundance of cap space. Obviously the Avs aren't going to get silly and spend every penny on UFA's. And they certainly aren't going to run a goaltender duo of Pickard/Martin but hey, it's the offseason!!

So for those who like living in fantasy land every so often, here's a look at the ridiculous team the Avs will ice next season in our dreams.

CapFriendly.com Armchair-GM User-Generated Roster

FORWARDS (14)
Rightwing: N. MacKinnon ($6,300,000) - M. Rantanen ($894,167) - J. Colborne ($2,500,000) - D. Winnik ($1,000,000) - R. Grimaldi ($900,000)
Centre: L. Draisaitl ($6,000,000) - M. Duchene ($6,000,000) - M. Grigorenko ($3,000,000) - J. Compher ($925,000) - T. Bourke ($750,000)
Leftwing: G. Landeskog ($5,571,429) - B. Marchand ($7,000,000) - B. Comeau ($2,400,000) - C. McLeod ($1,333,333)

DEFENSE (7)
Right: E. Johnson ($6,000,000) - B. Burns ($8,000,000) - F. Beauchemin ($4,500,000)
Left: K. Alzner ($5,000,000) - C. Bigras ($843,333) - N. Zadorov ($2,500,000) - D. Siemens ($850,000)

GOALTENDER (2)
C. Pickard ($1,000,000) - S. Martin ($728,333)

BUYOUTS
B. Stuart ($0)

DETAILS
Roster Size: 23
NHL Salary Cap: $74,000,000
Cap Hit: $73,995,595
Cap Space: $4,405

Moves:

Trade Barrie for Draisaitl who signs a 6x6 deal.
Trade Varly for Ho-Sang and a 2nd
Soderberg gets claimed in expansion
Burns signed at 6x8
Marchand signed at 7x7
Alzner signed at 5x5
Winnik signed 1x1

Lineup:

Landeskog Draisatil Mackinnon
Marchand Duchene Rantanen
Colborne Grigorenko Comeau
Mcleod Compher Winnik
Grimaldi Bourke

Alzner Burns
Bigras EJ
Zadorov Beauchemin

Pickard
Martin

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
For a guy with limited talent to work hard to add penalty killer to his list of skills when the major part of his skill set (punching) became obsolete, I have a lot of respect for Cody McLeod.

Yep. Wouldn't be surprised at all if he became a good assistant coach after his playing days are done.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
No, the Avs do not need a face-puncher. McLeod can actually play hockey and that's where his value is. It's limited value of course, and I agree a player like that should be phased out over time, but he's an effective forechecker who helps set the physical pace for the game. Not every team has the luxury of icing of 4th line that can actually act as a true checking line. Even defensive-minded St. Louis settled for a 4th line that was little more than a goon squad. I'm pretty sure Chicago's depth issues will force them to put out a 4th line that's not so great this season as well.

He's a career fourth liner who's lasted a lot longer than most of his counterparts. There's something to be said over that. We will see if he suddenly shows his age this season but I think he'll be a useful player up until his current deal expires in 2018. By then if the Avs haven't found a suitable replacement I'll be pretty shocked.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I think people are just annoyed with how he gets over utilized. PK sure, but PP?, the last minute of the game? top 6? are you serious? And he was used as some message sending tool by the coaches to the players. At least thats where my annoyance comes from

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
No, the Avs do not need a face-puncher. McLeod can actually play hockey and that's where his value is. It's limited value of course, and I agree a player like that should be phased out over time, but he's an effective forechecker who helps set the physical pace for the game. Not every team has the luxury of icing of 4th line that can actually act as a true checking line. Even defensive-minded St. Louis settled for a 4th line that was little more than a goon squad. I'm pretty sure Chicago's depth issues will force them to put out a 4th line that's not so great this season as well.

He's a career fourth liner who's lasted a lot longer than most of his counterparts. There's something to be said over that. We will see if he suddenly shows his age this season but I think he'll be a useful player up until his current deal expires in 2018. By then if the Avs haven't found a suitable replacement I'll be pretty shocked.

Actually It's flat out insane how much longer he has lasted than his counterparts. He is 4th all time in games played for the Avs. A good chance he finishes third too. Players like him always either break down or get replaced.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think people are just annoyed with how he gets over utilized. PK sure, but PP?, the last minute of the game? top 6? are you serious? And he was used as some message sending tool by the coaches to the players. At least thats where my annoyance comes from

Let's hope that kind of garbage left with Roy.

Roy always had a very peculiar approach when it came to the PK, even that first year. It felt like he went out of his way to put his worst players out there to kill penalties. I know that wasn't the case but man it sure felt like it, especially when he iced the Guenin/Holden pairing. :help:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I thought McLeod was done but then he looked like a NHL player again when he was on a line with two players better than him (Mitchell and Skille). He can probably do that again this season if Bednar makes good lineup decisions. I'm a fan of the person and all the hard work he puts in but I'm not a big fan of the limited skill set. I just hope they keep his ice time to a minimum and mostly only use him at even strength.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

He has something like 13 minutes total of pp/extra attacker time. It's gets blown up a bit that's all what people remember. Roy did less of those things last year too. With the 6 on 5 I didn't even hate he was the guy parked in front of the net. Obviously we hope eventually someone better can do that but it was a fine role for him then.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Nichushkin signs in KHL. Why do Avs always have problems signing their young players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad