Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Watching Tlusty highlights is entertaining. He usually waited for semin to create for him, but he did have a pretty solid shot from in close. "That's hockey baby!!" was also uttered by the announcer frequently

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I know they're are on PTO's for a reason, but both of those guys could be above average 4th liners. Hope they're ready to go.

Gabe has me really excited, I'm not sure why as per your comment, there is a reason for him being on a PTO.
I think there is untapped potential there and he could carve out a nice niche with us.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If G. Bourque and Tlusty show to be healthy I think both get signed. We could use another secondary scoring option on the wing, and Tlusty was consistently putting up 30+ points and right around 15 goals before last year. Bourque just sounds like a perfect fit for a 4th line role and another forward we can trust won't be a bad thing.

Plus, we are at only 44 contracts. We can sign these two and still have a few spots to work with throughout the season.

I hope so. Without those guys we're likely looking at McLeod and Martensen/Smith on the 4th line wings with Grimaldi as the first guy in. I'd be much happier with with McLeod-G.Bourque with Tlusty as the next guy in. As it stands today, it's likely they'd both be in the lineup and it isn't like the lineup will get healthier as the season wears on.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Hoping we sign 2 of these PTO's, they have a lack of winger depth still and hope they learned their lesson from last season especially at the end.

Travis Moen and Steve Bernier are another couple of guys that I would target as potentially solid 4th liners though I dunno hwo much is left in Moen's tank. Tlusty doesn't seem like he'd help drive possession or be physical on the 4th line but Bernier might.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Hoping we sign 2 of these PTO's, they have a lack of winger depth still and hope they learned their lesson from last season especially at the end.

Travis Moen and Steve Bernier are another couple of guys that I would target as potentially solid 4th liners though I dunno hwo much is left in Moen's tank. Tlusty doesn't seem like he'd help drive possession or be physical on the 4th line but Bernier might.

I don't think very much of Bernier. Moen used to be a pretty awesome PK forward and defensive forward but he's been washed up for a while now.

FYI, at first glance Bernier's possession metrics aren't great. Not abysmal, but not great.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
If they sign them both does that pretty much mean Compher is def. AHL bound?

Probably, but I would rather see him definitely in SA than definitely on the Avs. The competition is quite slim for the final on ice roster spot:

Compher, Martinsen, Smith and Grimaldi would be the main competition. Obviously nothing is definite, but Compher would be the front runner IMO without Bourque and Tlusty. Hopefully both guys are back on top of their game.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't think offer sheets are good in general since it mostly just pushes up salaries for RFAs and they're high enough as it is but it would be fun to see a big one to a good player on a vulnerable team (Lindholm, Kucherov) just because it would set of a series off moves when they inevitably match it.

Teams are very polite about not squeezing teams that are vulnerable. I guess no one wants to look over their shoulder in fear of retaliation. I think one of the reasons Oilers signed everyone to big contracts coming out of ELCs was that they were fearful Sabres would pay them back for the Vanek offer sheet.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm not a big fan of offer sheets, but they don't have their 3rd round pick anyway. It went to NJ to get Gelinas. That takes away all the meaningful offer sheets, unless they reacquire it, and dump a crap load of cap space.

They could do $1,877,615 to $3,755,233, which surely would get matched, or $9,388,080+ and give up four 1sts, which would be crazy.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Seems folks always forget that fair market won't get signed, it would need a massive overpay.

I'm interested to see how these high profile RFAs get settled since camp is already underway.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Kucherov will want to sign with a competitor guys (not a building team). We are a Colborne, Weircioch, Tyutin team. Forget the Kucherov, marquee / blue chip types of players until we can actually compete for a playoff spot.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
We don't have any money. Offer sheets aren't even on the table right now.

Next offseason were likely coming off a competitive, yet non-playoff season with a boatload of money to spend on a winger two. I don't think we'd have any trouble convincing a high caliber player that they could be the piece that puts us in the playoffs.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
We don't have any money. Offer sheets aren't even on the table right now.

Next offseason were likely coming off a competitive, yet non-playoff season with a boatload of money to spend on a winger two. I don't think we'd have any trouble convincing a high caliber player that they could be the piece that puts us in the playoffs.

Who was the last young high profile ( marquee) player we acquired through free agency (not trade) that actually worked out for us, remained here, and made us better?

Or at least improved as a player.

Also, weren't we competive this season, and failed to reach the P/O's? The only difference next season then will be that Vegas will take one of our players, and we'll have cap space.

There will also be much less talent available with an additional team in the league (talent more spread out).

For us to improve, it needs to be done internally. I think Bednar can do that. Drafting, trading, developing (I hope now SAR has a maker of men at the helm as well).

We need organic growth.

We can pretend that guys like Kucherov, Stamkos and others in their primes would choose Colorado, but they won't. Teams like The Blues are destinations for those types of players (right now).

The balls really in our ability to grow and nurture our farms court here, and I actually think we have the foundations here now to make that work.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Who was the last young high profile ( marquee) player we acquired through free agency (not trade) that actually worked out for us, remained here, and made us better?

Or at least improved as a player.

Also, weren't we competive this season, and failed to reach the P/O's? The only difference next season then will be that Vegas will take one of our players, and we'll have cap space.

There will also be much less talent available with an additional team in the league (talent more spread out).

For us to improve, it needs to be done internally. I think Bednar can do that. Drafting, trading, developing (I hope now SAR has a maker of men at the helm as well).

We need organic growth.

We can pretend that guys like Kucherov, Stamkos and others in their primes would choose Colorado, but they won't. Teams like The Blues are destinations for those types of players (right now).

The balls really in our ability to grow and nurture our farms court here, and I actually think we have the foundations here now to make that work.

Well there really aren't any yong guys in UFA at all. So nobody gets those guys.

The main difference between this and next year will be cap space, yes. That's a pretty important difference. And that's also why someone would choose us over STL. We could actually make them a competitive offer.

Overall, I agree. Our big growth needs to come from players on the roster. But we're going to need to add some complementary players around them. We can just hope to draft and develop all of our remaining holes.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Stastny was. I'd say Boedker was. Radulov was. Those types of players who decide to play elsewhere (or we can't afford).

I'm glad as hell though, Sakic remained true to his plan, and didn't trade away Dutchy or anyone for Radulov.

You are right though, the shackles will be removed next season. I still think Vegas will select Varlamov, and we'll end up with Pickard as our main back stop.

I also think Iginla and Stuart will go, and not be re-signed (well Stuart being bought out makes that a definite).

Hopefully the cap increases 2-3 mill.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Mitchell and a few others are let go, because as you rightfully said, we aren't a playoff team, and that equals player turnover.

I wonder though, who IS available that we could target?

At this stage, it appears we will be relying on Rantanen, Grigorenko, Compher, Zadorov, Bigras, Gelinas to magically develop. Something we have struggled to do for players in the past.

That's why SAR and Bednar are so, so important now. We are far, far, far from an attractive destination for marquee talent (Stazz / Boedker showed that).

We may rent a player or two, but I'm of the opinion they'd have their bags packed to leave as soon as they hit UFA status, and history shows that as correct.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
I feel like a lot of us here treat Stastny like we would treat a deceased acquaintance. I know I'm guilty of it from time to time when I reminisce about the 13-14 campaign.
We tend to just remember him in this great glowing light where he nurtured Mackinnon and Landeskog on a powerhouse line in the playoffs. We tend to forget he was freakin' Casper the Friendly Ghost for the entirety of that contract lest his final year...

I know Iginla wasn't the proper solution, but I'm still glad were not saddled to Stastny's current contract right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad