Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Huh...so the Avs had an analytics consultant prior to this? That's more shocking than anything else.

I didn't go back too far in the thread. I assume this was a recent hire, i.e. after Roy's departure?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Huh...so the Avs had an analytics consultant prior to this? That's more shocking than anything else.

I didn't go back too far in the thread. I assume this was a recent hire, i.e. after Roy's departure?

My understanding (since I'd been given his name a couple of months back) is that he worked with the Avs this past season.

There's so much people don't know about the Avs when it comes to what they tracked (as far as analytics go)...SO much.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO

I'd heard some rumblings that the Avs had some consulting going on, no idea exactly how far back but as others have suggested it wouldn't be a shock if it coincided not long after McFarland was brought on.

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
I won't say a thing about him.

Sorry, didn't intend to just put you on the spot, Hench.

I was just curious as to how people recognized his name (didn't realize he had a twitter history from a few years ago). His DEV model seems interesting but definitely seems skewed towards a certain type of player, as TV pointed out. I'll trust the Avs (/MacFarland) did their homework on these guys.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Sorry, but I love that we hired a guy that has driven many of you crazy on twitter haha.

It's his DEV model and the fact that he fights tooth and nail to prove that he's right about players when a lot of the time he just uses hindsight bias to his advantage without actually admitting it, yet continuing to argue.

If he was more open to others, I wouldn't mind him. But people like him who have one way of thinking and stick to it, I don't like nor appreciate the work they do.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It's his DEV model and the fact that he fights tooth and nail to prove that he's right about players when a lot of the time he just uses hindsight bias to his advantage without actually admitting it, yet continuing to argue.

If he was more open to others, I wouldn't mind him. But people like him who have one way of thinking and stick to it, I don't like nor appreciate the work they do.

Should be interesting to see how long Sakic puts up with him.

Sounds like he is just as stubborn as Roy, except he hasn't brought two Stanley Cups to a franchise, and isn't a childhood idol to an entire generation of Avs fans and hockey players.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Something tells me he'll be a lot more professional in the board room and in meetings with Sakic than he was as a 17-year-old blogger. :laugh:

I'd imagine so lol

I do think we all have some things we would teach our 17 year old selves if we had the chance.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
So with the season soon approaching, and our roster set (I know this has been done to death) but I was thinking this might be the strongest line-up?

Landeskog - Mackinnon - Duchene
Colborne - Soderberg - Rantanen
Comeau - Grigorenko - Iginla
Mcleod - Mitchell - XXXXXXXX

Beauchemin - Johnson
XXXXXXXX - Barrie
Zadorov - Tyutin

Varlamov
Pickard

+ I really think we can be a much better puck possession team this season
+ The top line there could cause a whole lot of issues to the opposition, but shut that line down, we are in a bit of trouble.
+ I think we'll have a much more rounded system (which means I think we'll see less "clumps" of losing, but will be more consistent. )
+ A lot comes down the the growth / development of 5 players - Rantanen, Grigorenko, Zadorov, Bigras & I am going to say Gelinas, because I think he could be Jan Hejda like eventually (the good parts).

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
So with the season soon approaching, and our roster set (I know this has been done to death) but I was thinking this might be the strongest line-up?

Landeskog - Mackinnon - Duchene
Colborne - Soderberg - Rantanen
Comeau - Grigorenko - Iginla
Mcleod - Mitchell - XXXXXXXX

Beauchemin - Johnson
XXXXXXXX - Barrie
Zadorov - Tyutin

Varlamov
Pickard

+ I really think we can be a much better puck possession team this season
+ The top line there could cause a whole lot of issues to the opposition, but shut that line down, we are in a bit of trouble.
+ I think we'll have a much more rounded system (which means I think we'll see less "clumps" of losing, but will be more consistent. )
+ A lot comes down the the growth / development of 5 players - Rantanen, Grigorenko, Zadorov, Bigras & I am going to say Gelinas, because I think he could be Jan Hejda like eventually (the good parts).

I'm not really a fan of MacKinnon and Duchene on the same line and to be honest if they are, I'd much rather have Duchene playing center. I believe JT will ultimately make the opening night starting roster either in place of those XXXXs or with Mitchell moving to his wing. Ideally, we'd have one of the Bourque's (hopefully Gabe JR) pushing Iggy down as well...I really don't want him on the third line unless he somehow found the Fountain of Youth over the off-season.

I'm also not a fan of that 3rd D-pairing but I understand why you mapped it out that way. I could be wrong (hope that I am) but I don't believe the AVs have or can get a better d-man to fill that hole you listed on the second pairing. My dream is the Barrie moves up to the first pairing since he's being paid for it...I just feel that given our lack of top 4 d-men, Zads need to be on the second pairing and played with a partner capable of those minutes. Frank was an awesome mentor for him last season and I think he could do the same this year.

Barrie-Johnson
Zadorov-Beauchemin
XXXX-Tyutin where XXXX is a whoever impresses more from Wiercioch/Gelinas (I personally would leave Bigras on the top pairing in SA getting massive minutes in all situations and waiting for a callup but that's just me.)

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Something would have to give for Compher and Bourque to both be playing. Who knows, maybe McLeod is finally bench.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm also not a big fan of having another season of MacKinnon/Duchene as linemates, but I won't freak out if Bednar decides to go in that direction. I think the lineup I'd LIKE to see under current circumstances would be this...

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Grigorenko - Duchene - Colborne
Comeau - Soderberg - Iginla
Martinsen - Mitchell - McLeod (insert PTO guy here)

Beauchemin - Johnson
Tyutin - Barrie
Zadorov - Gelinas/Wiercioch

I'm not thrilled with that 2nd line (and it's asking a lot to put Rantanen on the top unit) but Duchene has worked best with wingers who can allow him to freely switch between wing and center, and well, in this case he's got two guys pretty experienced at playing C. The 3rd line is about as close to an actual "checking unit" as this team's gonna get at this point.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I think everyone who thinks McLeod won't be a regular are sadly mistaking. He's an NHL talent. Not high end, but a good enough 4th liner.

He also plays the game the way Bednar played it. Just more effectively. It's a style that's diminishing but the fact that Cody still plays it as effectively as he does will keep him a regular until something drastic changes in his game.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think everyone who thinks McLeod won't be a regular are sadly mistaking. He's an NHL talent. Not high end, but a good enough 4th liner.

He also plays the game the way Bednar played it. Just more effectively. It's a style that's diminishing but the fact that Cody still plays it as effectively as he does will keep him a regular until something drastic changes in his game.

Yeah, Cody is fine in his 4th line LW spot. I would prefer a younger faster player, but it's not like we're going to have someone who will be a huge upgrade on him IMO.

I've had less of a problem with him the last season or so since he has cut down on some of the stupid boarding penalties.

It's not Cody's fault Roy used him on the PP, and as an exta attacker to teach the core players a lesson about trying hard lol.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Cody plays hard every shift, he knows his role and plays it effectively and does all the dirty, inglorious jobs. The rest of the team could learn a few things from the way he plays. I'm fine with him on the fourth line, as long as he's not pushed up the lineup. Never understood all the hate for him around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad