Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I understand...but just for the sake of argument...

Do we agree that Bigras' ceiling appears to be a very good #3? Do we also agree that losing Landy while adding an UFA like Okposo or JVR wouldn't hurt our team tremendously? If you answered yes to both then you'd have to agree to that trade on a heartbeat.
:D

Bigras ceiling could be anything but yes a high end number 3 sounds very generous. He has the intelligence to become a top pairing guy if a lot of things go right but a great middle pairing guy is what id guess.

Replacing our captain through free agency is the part I don't understand. Okposo and JVR aren't UFA's nor are they anywhere near as good as Landeskog. The best ufa forward next ear might be Drew Stafford. That's sad.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
How is replacing Landeskog's offense going to be easy? Not to mention that he's the only top 6 player of our who can be trusted on the defensive end of the ice. I'd sooner trade everyone not named Mack than Landeskog.

I 100% agree with this.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

Do we agree that Bigras' ceiling appears to be a very good #3? Do we also agree that losing Landy while adding an UFA like Okposo or JVR wouldn't hurt our team tremendously? If you answered yes to both then you'd have to agree to that trade on a heartbeat.

No and no. Bigras can be more than just a #3. The guy has the potential to be a player like Vlasic. Honestly, I expect him to be close to what Lindholm is now (30 point, 2way, top pair, every situation Dman). And going from Lando to one of those guys is a bad idea. We have to stop getting rid of our best 2way players.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

The thought of JVR's next deal gives me the willies. Whoever signs him as a UFA will regret it. Sure hope it isn't us.

Given Landys contract, I don't think he's remotely easy to replace. Bigras is still on an ELC. You're essentially proposing we double the amount of salary allocated to two players. I don't think JVR+Lindholm will be twice as good as Landeskog+Bigras.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Loved (or didn't love, but at least admired) Ehrhoff running the point on the power play for Vancouver, but he's a long ways from that player. I don't think he's a significant upgrade on anyone currently on the roster, and the Avs should have more than enough weapons to run a decent power play.

I do hope Ehrhoff finds a spot though. The World Cup showed he's still got at least something left in the tank.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't think you make that trade. One reason why this team is at the cap and still has some serious holes is because the prospect base isn't up to snuff. Chicago can purge key players and still ice a contender because they have a steady stream of young, cheap talent to fill the void (admittedly that's going to be put to the test this year though). The Avs don't have that luxury.

You can throw a big-name player, a pick, and a prospect for Hampus Lindholm, but then the team will be scrambling to fill the depth lost in the deal. Not to mention the cap once again becomes a concern, especially if you're hitting FA to fill the holes.

I could see the team making a deal like this down the road, much like they did for Blake back in the glory days. But not now.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I don't think you make that trade. One reason why this team is at the cap and still has some serious holes is because the prospect base isn't up to snuff. Chicago can purge key players and still ice a contender because they have a steady stream of young, cheap talent to fill the void (admittedly that's going to be put to the test this year though). The Avs don't have that luxury.

You can throw a big-name player, a pick, and a prospect for Hampus Lindholm, but then the team will be scrambling to fill the depth lost in the deal. Not to mention the cap once again becomes a concern, especially if you're hitting FA to fill the holes.

I could see the team making a deal like this down the road, much like they did for Blake back in the glory days. But not now.

I don't think Sakic will be too keen, he's already got one.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
No and no. Bigras can be more than just a #3. The guy has the potential to be a player like Vlasic. Honestly, I expect him to be close to what Lindholm is now (30 point, 2way, top pair, every situation Dman). And going from Lando to one of those guys is a bad idea. We have to stop getting rid of our best 2way players.

He can be more than a #3, but he hasn't got the potential to end up a VlaÅ¡ić. VlaÅ¡ić is the Rod Langway or Serge Savard in terms of defensive ability compared to his present peers, he should've been a Norris candidate this past season ahead the likes of Doughty (who had a subpar offensive season 5v5) and Burns. Stylistically they are similar, potential wise, not that close. I'd say Bigras has the potential to be a player similar to JBo, silky smooth skater, very good defensively, can move the puck, but that's his ceiling.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He can be more than a #3, but he hasn't got the potential to end up a VlaÅ¡ić. VlaÅ¡ić is the Rod Langway or Serge Savard in terms of defensive ability compared to his present peers, he should've been a Norris candidate this past season ahead the likes of Doughty (who had a subpar offensive season 5v5) and Burns. Stylistically they are similar, potential wise, not that close. I'd say Bigras has the potential to be a player similar to JBo, silky smooth skater, very good defensively, can move the puck, but that's his ceiling.

God, I hope he ends up better than that. Not a Bouwmeester fan.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

JBo at his best was a top pairing D who could face any line without being out of place, if Bigras ends up like that we have a good one on our hands. JBo gets way too much flack for not reaching the heights he was pegged to reach, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a really good top pairing D at his best.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

If he can be more than a #3 then his ceiling is not that of a #3.

What does Vlasic have that Bigras doesn't? Obviously most people don't end up reaching their ultimate potential, but Bigras has the attributes to be just like Vlasic. Elite mind and skating, and quite skilled. That is a wonderful combination. One in which can take a player to the very top defensively.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

Ridiculous comment.

JBo played on some really, really bad teams. It doesn't mean he hasn't been an extremely reliable, competent, top pairing defenseman for pretty much his entire career.

I would be over the moon if Bigras turned into a multiple time Gold medal winning defenseman, averaging 35+ points a season, playing in all situations(ES,PP,PK), and being a top class professional like JBo is.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I know, I know, I get it...Bouwmeester is a legit top-pairing guy. And I realize it's a bit irrational to say Bigras should be better (I know from a logical standpoint I should be thrilled if he approaches that level). This is just the fan in me talking--I just don't like J-Bo's game. Never have. Antonio McDyess was an amazingly talented power forward for the Nuggets...but I didn't like watching him play.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I know, I know, I get it...Bouwmeester is a legit top-pairing guy. And I realize it's a bit irrational to say Bigras should be better (I know from a logical standpoint I should be thrilled if he approaches that level). This is just the fan in me talking--I just don't like J-Bo's game. Never have. Antonio McDyess was an amazingly talented power forward for the Nuggets...but I didn't like watching him play.

i don't think jbouw is legit top pairing guy anymore.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
when you put like that, i do, on a quick check. but talent isn't spread out evenly between teams. i think jbou of today is somewhere in the 50-60 range among all defenseman.

I think he's higher than that, but even then, that makes him a #2 defenseman.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
when you put like that, i do, on a quick check. but talent isn't spread out evenly between teams. i think jbou of today is somewhere in the 50-60 range among all defenseman.

The way I look at it is that no of course talent isn't spread out evenly on teams but if they were we would be bale to categorize 30 #1D and 30 #2D. If JBo is in the 50-60 range that would still make him a top pairing guy as there would be 60 league wide.

I know that's not how everyone judges it, but that's the way I look at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad