Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Weber still is great. As good as he was? No. Still great? Yep.

Hedman is the new Weber IMO. Just not quite the shot though, as that shot is Al MacInnis level generational talent.

Chara may have a harder shot, but I never thought it was as accurate as Weber's.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'd take,

DD, EK, Hedman, OEL, Keith, Josi, and Burns over him.

I think Burns is more dangerous offensively with the accuracy of his slap shot, and they are similar in how they may burn you with their decision making at times as well. I just like Burns a touch better personally. So that is what I mean by barely in the top 10.

I've watched a lot of Montreal against Detroit/Tampa recently in the last few years since the wife is a Deadthing fan, and Tampa is my Eastern team, a lot of that being live as well. Subban almost always leaves me wanting more. He just picks the wrong parts/times during games to take risks sometimes. He does not seem to have that ability to tighten it up within the game situation IMO, and he also disappears for long stretches during games as well. This has been the case every single time I've seen him live, and that's been about 10 times over the last two years. I value the live games when looking at defense way more than TV, because you can see so much more when you are not at the mercy of the camera man, at least with defense.

I'm obviously not alone in my evaluation of him either looking at team Canada's roster. I understand the value in what he brings, but he isn't consistent enough for me to pick him that high. He's the EJ of top tier defenders IMO lol.

I'd argue one reason you're not seeing what PK can actually do is because he's been saddled with outright atrocious coaching the entire time he's been in the NHL. Now that he's with a good coach who preaches the type of up-tempo philosophy that he could excel with and a group that has bought into that system, I think you'll see just what Subban is capable of doing. And if they pair him with Roman Josi, who's an excellent defender in his own right (there's a strong argument to be had that he's better than Weber) and that'll be something to behold.

My primary concern if I'm Nashville is that Pekka Rinne is no longer an elite netminder and might actually put out a Ryan-Miller-in-Vancouver level performance. I'm also not crazy about that forward group. Still too many grinders and Mike Ribeiro IMO.

And it's not like Team Canada hasn't made some boneheaded decisions when it comes to player selection, they just have such an embarrassment of riches that it's nowhere near as glaring as when the Americans do it.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'd argue one reason you're not seeing what PK can actually do is because he's been saddled with outright atrocious coaching the entire time he's been in the NHL. Now that he's with a good coach who preaches the type of up-tempo philosophy that he could excel with and a group that has bought into that system, I think you'll see just what Subban is capable of doing. And if they pair him with Roman Josi, who's an excellent defender in his own right (there's a strong argument to be had that he's better than Weber) and that'll be something to behold.

My primary concern if I'm Nashville is that Pekka Rinne is no longer an elite netminder and might actually put out a Ryan-Miller-in-Vancouver level performance. I'm also not crazy about that forward group. Still too many grinders and Mike Ribeiro IMO.

And it's not like Team Canada hasn't made some boneheaded decisions when it comes to player selection, they just have such an embarrassment of riches that it's nowhere near as glaring as when the Americans do it.

I'd agree with that, definitely could be the case. Edit : If PK can take another step in how he manages games, it would be huge. Coaching could be a huge part of that.

And yeah, I think we should go ahead and trade Varlamov for Forsberg lmao. They can dump Rinne on us with some retention, and he can mentor Pickard. :D

I misread (I'm tired as hell so don't take it too serious), but still don't agree with your assesment.

I'm used to that, (people disagreeing with me on Subban) but I've had enough personal viewing that I trust my own evaluation honestly. Even if that is different from the mass opinion.

As AV said, I didn't think about how much coaching could effect those aspects of his game. At least in inconsistency in how he plays with and without the puck, especially if hes being pulled in two different directions (personal & coaching). So I'm willing to concede that.

Last edited:

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
to sum up from the last page

I'd easily take OEL over Lindholm but that could quickly change if Lindholm can improve this year.

I look forward to see what Housley can do with Subban and can only imagine what he'd have done developing under Housley and Trotz.

DD and Hedman are probably my top 2 defenders right now with EK right there with them. I'm excited by the influx of young Dman talent coming in though. Similar to the era for FWDs that included Toews, Kane, Kopitar, Stammer, etc

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
to sum up from the last page

I'd easily take OEL over Lindholm but that could quickly change if Lindholm can improve this year.

I look forward to see what Housley can do with Subban and can only imagine what he'd have done developing under Housley and Trotz.

DD and Hedman are probably my top 2 defenders right now with EK right there with them. I'm excited by the influx of young Dman talent coming in though. Similar to the era for FWDs that included Toews, Kane, Kopitar, Stammer, etc

Yeah, there is such a strong young group coming. Some of these guys play all of the major facets of the game at such a high level it's incredible. A lot more guys coming in, in the mold of a Lidstrom than a Blake or Foote too.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
OK, this is totally OT for this thread, but couldn't figure out where to post it.

Do you guys have a suggestion for the best (legal) online version of "NHL Center Ice"? Some subscription that shows all NHL games.

Thank you.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
OK, this is totally OT for this thread, but couldn't figure out where to post it.

Do you guys have a suggestion for the best (legal) online version of "NHL Center Ice"? Some subscription that shows all NHL games.

Thank you.

I didn't know there was more than one version lol, I just get it from/through my NHL.com account.

Now devices are another story... My PS4/PS3 is the most convenient NHL app to use, but the PC version of the app runs the absolute best IMO.

What I used to do was stream with wireless HDMI from my PC to my TV, but my HDMI port on my laptop broke past the warranty. PS4 was ok last year, but it jutters sometimes due to the limitation of the wireless signal I think. This year I am going to try with the PS4 wired up, but the app just seems clumsy/limited to me compared to the PC, and it was always way more behind than the PC app was.

I havent been able to bring myself to buy the package through the cable company in a long time, as I can't take it with me when I go on vacation during X-mas and Thanksgiving.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I didn't know there was more than one version lol, I just get it from/through my NHL.com account.

Now devices are another story... My PS4/PS3 is the most convenient NHL app to use, but the PC version of the app runs the absolute best IMO.

What I used to do was stream with wireless HDMI from my PC to my TV, but my HDMI port on my laptop broke past the warranty. PS4 was ok last year, but it jutters sometimes due to the limitation of the wireless signal I think. This year I am going to try with the PS4 wired up, but the app just seems clumsy to me compared to the PC.

I havent been able to bring myself to buy the package through the cable company in a long time, as I can't take it with me when I go on vacation during X-mas and Thanksgiving.

Yeah, the NHL.com one is the one I know. Wondering if there is a better/viable alternative.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yeah, the NHL.com one is the one I know. Wondering if there is a better/viable alternative.

I don't think so... I always thought the only two options were Cable, and NHL.com.

I think there is a slight difference between the Canadian and US versions of NHL.tv (That's the new name for it, since the MLB guys took over) but I'm not familiar with the differences. I think that is just picked for you automatically based on the site you log into/credit card you use or something, even if you did want to spoof it.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I don't think so... I always thought the only two options were Cable, and NHL.com.

I think there is a slight difference between the Canadian and US versions of NHL.tv (That's the new name for it, since the MLB guys took over) but I'm not familiar with the differences. I think that is just picked for you automatically based on the site you log into/credit card you use or something, even if you did want to spoof it.

Thank you, sir. Appreciate the response.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Thank you, sir. Appreciate the response.

I think I was just one of the few around lol. Usually on here you can expect a response to just about anything. ;)

Someone else might have something different, but it will be news to me. There are lots of people on here who survive using less than legit means. So there is that route, it's just not reliable enough for me.

But I'm the guy who pays stupid prices just to have certain channels so that I never miss a game. Even if NHLNetwork is airing it lol. TV was cheaper for me when I lived in Colorado lol. I've also got two 4K TVs, so picture quality really matters to me.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Ya NHL.tv is the only legal service.

It's unfortunate because I actually thought the service got significantly worse after the MLB guys took over last year. The first week that they had it, you could hardly even watch any games without significant lag and freezing screens.

And even in the playoffs, it still wasn't up to the level of what it was previously. The quality was maybe slightly better when it worked, but it often didn't work.

Hopefully its fixed this year. I've had the service for 3 years now and rely on it for 90% of Avs games. But if it isn't improved this year I wont be getting it again.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Ya NHL.tv is the only legal service.

It's unfortunate because I actually thought the service got significantly worse after the MLB guys took over last year. The first week that they had it, you could hardly even watch any games without significant lag and freezing screens.

And even in the playoffs, it still wasn't up to the level of what it was previously. The quality was maybe slightly better when it worked, but it often didn't work.

Hopefully its fixed this year. I've had the service for 3 years now and rely on it for 90% of Avs games. But if it isn't improved this year I wont be getting it again.

Yeah I legit considered getting the Cable package this year, but I'm also hoping they get it figured out. The Cable package is kind of funny, as all they do is allow you to see the home team broadcasts. It feels really easy, and over priced honestly. I wish I could just pay an extra fee to be able to get Altitude lol. The MLB guys actually have a good reputation I think. We'll just see if the NHL is going to get their backhand instead of their full attention.

I usually pay for the whole season, but this year I think I'm going to go month to month if I can.

Avalanche

Mar 18, 2011
Cornwall
Yeah I legit considered getting the Cable package this year, but I'm also hoping they get it figured out. The Cable package is kind of funny, as all they do is allow you to see the home team broadcasts. It feels really easy, and over priced honestly. I wish I could just pay an extra fee to be able to get Altitude lol. The MLB guys actually have a good reputation I think. We'll just see if the NHL is going to get their backhand instead of their full attention.

I usually pay for the whole season, but this year I think I'm going to go month to month if I can.

What cable do you have?

I have Directv and get both home and away broadcasts.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
The NHL.tv has made the app far worse. It doesn't work nearly as often as it used too.

I get it for free being a Rogers customer, so I can't complain, and being in Toronto makes it difficult to watch Avs games.

Love that you can watch more than one game at a time if you want to.

Hopefully with the multi-cam option they will add the ref cam. Think that would be really cool.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Sigh, and those of us in Denver still have no legal way of watching games without a cable subscription.

Yeah it sucks... All I want is Altitude to get on Sling or PS Vue. I'd even pay $6-8 extra a month for just that channel.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I hate the new NHL and teams' website layouts. Things are so much more spaced out. So much more scrolling to see any info on each page. Open a page...scroll, scroll, scroll. Open another page...scroll, scroll, scroll again. All I do is scroll now. And pages take longer to load as well. Very poor job.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I hate the new NHL and teams' website layouts. Things are so much more spaced out. So much more scrolling to see any info on each page. Open a page...scroll, scroll, scroll. Open another page...scroll, scroll, scroll again. All I do is scroll now. And pages take longer to load as well. Very poor job.

you-are-not-alone.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad