Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I wonder if Boston makes a run at Trouba... A Krug + swap for Trouba makes some sense.

I'd find that pretty funny since they traded away Hamilton for a fraction of his worth because he was asking for too much, only to replace him with Trouba.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I'm going to guess that Anaheim will give in and give Lindholm 5.75-6m per, but they will jettison Fowler for futures sometime during the first half of the season. That is where the Avs should jump in IMO.

OS don't commonly happen for a reason... It would be better to trade for Lindholm's rights than to sign him to an OS. In that case, the Avs would be dumping enough salary to give room for a ~6m deal.

I'm a big fan of Fowlers and have been ever since his draft year but unless the Avs grow impatient waiting for Zads + Bigras to develop, I don't think they should jump in at all. When you consider that Zadorov will likely need to be protected from the expansion draft (4F,4D,1G) adding Fowler isn't going to work. (unless you're trading Zadorov to the ducks in exchange for Fowler - I wouldn't do that, personally - I like Zads upside too much)

With Trouba, it's the same kind of story. Duchene and Landeskog are no-gos for me, trading them for Trouba makes little sense to me. If you're offering a 'futures' package to the Jets, it would have to include a decent enough salary off the books to even be able to sign Trouba and would likely have to include either Bigras (expansion exempt) or Zadorov (needs expansion protection) for it to be worthwhile for them. So you'd be looking at something like Zadorov + Soderberg at minimum...I'm not certain people would want to do that - I know I wouldn't even though I love Trouba.

In my opinion, the only real deal that makes any sense at all for the Avs, is the swapping of Barrie for Trouba with possibly a 3rd team involved where the Jets get what they need for Barrie. It makes sense for the Avs with the expansion draft, it allows them to keep and protect their young LHD prospects and it moves out a big contract in order to sign Trouba.

Having said that, it all comes down to the evaluation of the roster. Would the Avs be better off long-term with a d-man like Trouba instead of Barrie? If so, can Zadorov eventually pick up a part of the offensive 'slack' left by Barrie's departure? That's what it all comes down to for me.

I'd still want to see how Barrie and the rest of the team perform under Bednar before making any major decisions.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'm a big fan of Fowlers and have been ever since his draft year but unless the Avs grow impatient waiting for Zads + Bigras to develop, I don't think they should jump in at all. When you consider that Zadorov will likely need to be protected from the expansion draft (4F,4D,1G) adding Fowler isn't going to work. (unless you're trading Zadorov to the ducks in exchange for Fowler - I wouldn't do that, personally - I like Zads upside too much)

With Trouba, it's the same kind of story. Duchene and Landeskog are no-gos for me, trading them for Trouba makes little sense to me. If you're offering a 'futures' package to the Jets, it would have to include a decent enough salary off the books to even be able to sign Trouba and would likely have to include either Bigras (expansion exempt) or Zadorov (needs expansion protection) for it to be worthwhile for them. So you'd be looking at something like Zadorov + Soderberg at minimum...I'm not certain people would want to do that - I know I wouldn't even though I love Trouba.

In my opinion, the only real deal that makes any sense at all for the Avs, is the swapping of Barrie for Trouba with possibly a 3rd team involved where the Jets get what they need for Barrie. It makes sense for the Avs with the expansion draft, it allows them to keep and protect their young LHD prospects and it moves out a big contract in order to sign Trouba.

Having said that, it all comes down to the evaluation of the roster. Would the Avs be better off long-term with a d-man like Trouba instead of Barrie? If so, can Zadorov eventually pick up a part of the offensive 'slack' left by Barrie's departure? That's what it all comes down to for me.

I'd still want to see how Barrie and the rest of the team perform under Bednar before making any major decisions.

The expansion draft can be worked around in a variety of ways. Hell, I look at the Avs and only see 3 forwards that you'd have to protect at all costs. The rest are exempt or ones that wouldn't be heartbreaking. Protecting 5D could be an option, maybe Beauch doesn't have a NMC next season (or is willing to waive), exposing Varly might protect the Avs from losing Z anyway, trades can be made with Vegas prior, etc.

The advantage of Fowler is that you don't have to rush Bigras or Zadorov into a top role. Fowler can play up there and move down to where he should be (middle) when one of the two are ready. Then when both are ready for top 4 roles, Fowler can be moved (and still be young). I'm also not opposed to running Bigras on the right and moving EJ in 2-3 years.

I don't see much of an advantage with Trouba over Barrie for the next 2-3 seasons. Trouba over EJ, I can see that as soon as next season.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
The expansion draft can be worked around in a variety of ways. Hell, I look at the Avs and only see 3 forwards that you'd have to protect at all costs. The rest are exempt or ones that wouldn't be heartbreaking. Protecting 5D could be an option, maybe Beauch doesn't have a NMC next season (or is willing to waive), exposing Varly might protect the Avs from losing Z anyway, trades can be made with Vegas prior, etc.

The advantage of Fowler is that you don't have to rush Bigras or Zadorov into a top role. Fowler can play up there and move down to where he should be (middle) when one of the two are ready. Then when both are ready for top 4 roles, Fowler can be moved (and still be young). I'm also not opposed to running Bigras on the right and moving EJ in 2-3 years.

I don't see much of an advantage with Trouba over Barrie for the next 2-3 seasons. Trouba over EJ, I can see that as soon as next season.

Outside of potentially paying Trouba less than EJ, not much of an advantage.

Makes too much sense. They won't do it.

Boston is one of the most "interesting" franchises when it comes to trading away and trading for players.

I'd find that pretty funny since they traded away Hamilton for a fraction of his worth because he was asking for too much, only to replace him with Trouba.

I am still to this day amazed at how little they received in return for Hamilton. It may have been worse than the Seguin trade and Seguin is a legit superstar forward.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Outside of potentially paying Trouba less than EJ, not much of an advantage.

Trouba will be better than EJ IMO. Beyond that, EJ isn't far from starting to regress (especially with his injury issues). EJ beyond 30-31-32 is a scary proposition.

So a combination of Trouba hitting his stride by next season and EJ starting to regress. Trouba > EJ.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

You just wrinkled my brain! For some crazy reason, I never even considered protecting 5D as an option! :laugh: My preference has always been to protect Soderberg as the 4th forward but it wouldn't be a 'protect at all costs' scenario.

Let's say the situation you highlighted actually happens and the Avs are in a position to 'jump in' and try to acquire Fowler, what do you think they'd need to give up?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Anaheim will want forwards. Probably a decent potential younger one (one they don't need to protect), and a fill in in the top 9 player.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Trouba will be better than EJ IMO. Beyond that, EJ isn't far from starting to regress (especially with his injury issues). EJ beyond 30-31-32 is a scary proposition.

So a combination of Trouba hitting his stride by next season and EJ starting to regress. Trouba > EJ.

I agree there's a good chance he regresses in the coming years, but I think the more we say that, the more it sounds like he'll be complete crap once he's in his 30's. He could still be very serviceable. Lots of D men that play a tough on the body style, have had injuries, and started out worse skaters, with less talent are still serviceable top 4 defensemen.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I agree there's a good chance he regresses in the coming years, but I think the more we say that, the more it sounds like he'll be complete crap once he's in his 30's. He could still be very serviceable. Lots of D men that play a tough on the body style, have had injuries, and started out worse skaters, with less talent are still serviceable top 4 defensemen.

I think he will be a serviceable top 4 type ($6m for a #4 is going to hurt in 3-4 years, but that was the cost of locking him up reasonably now), but not to the level that Trouba is even right now... and Trouba will improve over the next few years instead of getting worse.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think he will be a serviceable top 4 type ($6m for a #4 is going to hurt in 3-4 years, but that was the cost of locking him up reasonably now), but not to the level that Trouba is even right now... and Trouba will improve over the next few years instead of getting worse.

I think that very likely could be true. I think there's some grey area though where he could regress, be a serviceable top 4, and not hurt them too much with his $6M. Depends on how much he regresses, and what the cap is in 2-3 years.

I'm not as worried about having EJ on the team and regressing, as I am them being able to fill out the D core around him. I'm fine with him being part of the puzzle in a lesser role. If he regresses, and they haven't filled out the D core around him, and Bigras and Z haven't really developed like hoped, then it's a problem.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Tyson Jost
JT Compher
Anton Lindhom
Jarome Iginla

For

Hampus Lindhom

39c.jpg

Don't think Anaheim would do that though (even if you swapped Jost for Rantanen), their first priority would be to win this year (though I don't think they will and will settle for futures on any deal they make by mid season). Landy/Lindholm has a basis in reality.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
In terms of skillset IMO Trouba is already better than EJ. Again, I'm a big Condor fan but we've already seen the best we're going to see from him.

I'm not sure that's true. Trouba's career highs in points are 29 and 22. EJ has two 39 point seasons. He was on his way to 20 goals and 40+ points two years ago too.

EJ also outscored him last year in less games. 27 in 73 vs 21 in 81 for Trouba. In what we all think was a down year for EJ.

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
Don't we have to protect Soda on account of his NTC? Or is that just NMC?

Not that I'm against protecting him regardless.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Don't we have to protect Soda on account of his NTC? Or is that just NMC?

Not that I'm against protecting him regardless.

It's just NMC that has to be protected. FB is the only one who might have to be protected, and there is actually a chance he does not have a NMC in his last year.

I think both of the major sites for that stuff have it listed differently, and no one has ever confirmed it. He likely does, but it's not 100%.

Even that problem is easily solved by buying him out though, as it won't be difficult to eat his contract with the cap space we'll have. One year of FB isn't enough of a reason to lose someone like Grigorenko, Soderberg, or Colborne.

I think we've got pretty good flexibility going into expansion, if they do another team the following year it will get a lot more interesting for us.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Quebec getting one isn't even on the radar. Seattle finding an arena out of thin air will happen before Quebec gets an expansion team.

Seattle has an Arena, but whoever gets the team has to be willing to spend about 20M on a likely temporary solution. The old Sonic's arena was evaluated for it, as a temporary home until the other one is built. It absolutely meets the requirements, and would be about the size of Winnipeg's in seating numbers I believe. The nice thing about it, is that it is actually down town as well.

I honestly think the ownership group out of Seattle is hoping for a relocation deal instead of expansion, as they didn't even try to get their bid in on time.

If someone wanted a expansion team bad enough in Seattle, the Arena issue could be figured out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad