Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
There's no way the NHL is good with that arena. They desperately want that market and nothing materialized. I still think somehow Kroenke will build one up there and lease it to an owner. :laugh:

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
There's no way the NHL is good with that arena. They desperately want that market and nothing materialized. I still think somehow Kroenke will build one up there and lease it to an owner. :laugh:

Whatever makes it work lol, I still own my house there. I'd be an instant STM.

Steerpike

We are never give up
Feb 15, 2014
Colorado
What are our best protection schemes?

With a Beuchemin buyout:

Protected:

F:
MacKinnon
Duchene
Landeskog
Soderberg
Colborne
Grigorenko
Comeau

D:
Barrie
Johnson
Zadorov

G:
Varlamov/Pickard

Inherently Protected:
Rantanen
Bigras

Exposed:
Pickard/Varlamov
McLeod

It looks almost certain we will lose Picks or Varly. If Picks has a good season are all in favor of protecting him and trying to move Varly for a winger?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I still think the Avs will give Vegas assets to keep both goalies. Unless the decision between them becomes abundantly clear this year. That's what I'm expecting. I don't think the Avs will just expose one of them and hope for the best.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I would think that other teams have the same problems with goalers.

Caps are the only ones I think that won't solve their issue (FTR I think Vegas will take Grubauer). Pens and Lightning have easy(ish) solutions. Beyond them I don't see any team that has quite the same issue... Picks at worst is a solid backup, at best he is the starter for the next 10 years in Vegas. At worst Varly is an average starting goalie with a slightly inflated cap hit (which Vegas will need), at best he is capable of carrying a team to the playoffs. Picking one of the two seems like a no brainer for Vegas IMO.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I've seen a lot of projected protection lists with Comeau on them. Why on earth would that be a guy we protect?

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
He's just the classic middling forward who we don't need, who will get picked up by an expansion team, score 20ish goals for them and never, ever come close to doing so again.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I've seen a lot of projected protection lists with Comeau on them. Why on earth would that be a guy we protect?

Honestly... why protect any forward beyond MacK, Duchene, and Landy? The rest are completely replaceable players and only one can be taken away. The last few years of Soda's deal might get ugly. Comeau is a pretty meh player and 100% replaceable in free agency. Same with Colborne. Grigo might suck if he does well this year, but as of now, I doubt he would be the pick from our group. By all means, if you can protect some, sure, but I'd be tempted to leave a player like Soda exposed to save Picks (even if I had to kick in a mid round pick).

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
You can't save two goalies or you mean in a deal with Vegas? If we have the slots why not use them to keep guys they still want to have around.

Meaning... agree to expose Soda to Vegas with say a 3rd or 4th round pick as a kicker so that Vegas doesn't select Picks.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'm far from being convinced that Vegas would select Varly even if he's available. It all comes down to who else is available and how much money they want to spend on a goalie as an expansion team.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'm far from being convinced that Vegas would select Varly even if he's available. It all comes down to who else is available and how much money they want to spend on a goalie as an expansion team.

Just remember they need to spend a minimum amount in the expansion draft. Varly can at least potentially live up to his contract... the Dustin Brown's don't stand a chance to live up to theirs.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Meaning... agree to expose Soda to Vegas with say a 3rd or 4th round pick as a kicker so that Vegas doesn't select Picks.

I could see this also driving them wanting to see if Grigorenko, Colborne, or Rantanen can pan out at center.

I doubt Jost is ready to be a major factor as the third center by the start of next year, or at least it's risky to count on it. Being able to rely on one of those guys as a center going into 2017-18 could be important if Soda is gone. They also would probably want someone they can trust defensively.

There is at least some reasons beyond Duchene's goal scoring ability when hes playing wing.

I'm also really interested to see at what point some of you guys actually start to consider Grigorenko worth more than "whatever" if hes picked by the expansion team. Young forwards with his skill level and potential are not exactly easy to come by outside of drafting in the top half of the first round. No way am I exposing someone that young with that level of skill if anything can be done about it.

Hes one of three or four (if you count Colborne as actually having more upside than 40 points) forwards we have with true top six potential, and hes the only one of those who has proven even in a small sample size that hes ready for it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'm also really interested to see at what point some of you guys actually start to consider Grigorenko worth more than "whatever" if hes picked by the expansion team. Young forwards with his skill level and potential are not exactly easy to come by outside of drafting in the top half of the first round. No way am I exposing someone that young with that level of skill if anything can be done about it.

I've been a Grigo tire pumper for a long time... I was one of, if not the first on that boat. Having skill and potential doesn't equate to value. Right now Grigo still very much has the stigma of an enigmatic, lazy, soft Russian (FTR I don't believe this to be the case)... until he proves otherwise it doesn't matter if he scores 40 points, he doesn't have much value around the league.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Honestly... why protect any forward beyond MacK, Duchene, and Landy? The rest are completely replaceable players and only one can be taken away. The last few years of Soda's deal might get ugly. Comeau is a pretty meh player and 100% replaceable in free agency. Same with Colborne. Grigo might suck if he does well this year, but as of now, I doubt he would be the pick from our group. By all means, if you can protect some, sure, but I'd be tempted to leave a player like Soda exposed to save Picks (even if I had to kick in a mid round pick).

I really disagree about Soderberg. First, I don't see him as someone who is easily replaceable. If he's good for 50 points a year, he would have been one of the best free agent centre's on the market this past year, basically just behind a guy like Nielsen. Nielsen's never significantly outscored Soderberg, and while he does provide a lot more than that, he's two years older, and he got six years at 5.25 million. I say that to demonstrate the type of value these players do get. Even for 2017 free agency...maybe Thornton and / or Marleau make it there, Hanzal quite possibly does, but after them, Soderberg would be the best of the centre group and it doesn't even look close, unless I'm missing a few names.

Regarding decline...he's 30, he's only been dealing with the rigours of the NHL and it's schedule for just three years, and he doesn't play a physical brand of hockey that relies on his physical attributes. He'll be 34 once his deal expires. I don't see much risk here at all of a really big decline. I guess my point is that 1) I don't think the Avs need to be concerned about getting out of a burdensome contract, and 2) he's easily the fourth best forward on the team right now, and you're not going to find a replacement all that easily anywhere. He's a brilliant player to have on the third line, and who can move up to the second line if need be. Unless something changes (big decline this year, another forward steps up big time), I'll be pretty upset if he's exposed.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

They have to pick three goalies, and they have a cap quota to fill. Unless Varly is garbage this next year, I think Las Vegas would be jumping at the opportunity to get him. Worst case scenario...you have a mediocre starting goalie for two years as you build a team? Best case scenario...you get a brilliant goalie who gets you a few wins / can be traded down the road for futures. There's basically zero risk, since LV will have zero problems with the cap.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I've been a Grigo tire pumper for a long time... I was one of, if not the first on that boat. Having skill and potential doesn't equate to value. Right now Grigo still very much has the stigma of an enigmatic, lazy, soft Russian (FTR I don't believe this to be the case)... until he proves otherwise it doesn't matter if he scores 40 points, he doesn't have much value around the league.

I have a really hard time coming to grips with that being the case with a expansion team whose options for young forwards with upside are going to be limited.

Maybe in trade value, but in a draft where the team is picking 30 times out of a fairly weak pool. If he continues in his current trajectory, there will be more than enough tape on him to disprove any perception like that. I'd imagine Vegas will be scouting all 30 teams heavily with a list of possibles all year as well.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I really disagree about Soderberg. First, I don't see him as someone who is easily replaceable. If he's good for 50 points a year, he would have been one of the best free agent centre's on the market this past year, basically just behind a guy like Nielsen. Nielsen's never significantly outscored Soderberg, and while he does provide a lot more than that, he's two years older, and he got six years at 5.25 million. I say that to demonstrate the type of value these players do get. Even for 2017 free agency...maybe Thornton and / or Marleau make it there, Hanzal quite possibly does, but after them, Soderberg would be the best of the group and it doesn't even look close, unless I'm missing a few names.

Regarding decline...he's 30, he's only been dealing with the rigours of the NHL and it's schedule for just three years, and he doesn't play a physical brand of hockey that relies on his physical attributes. He'll be 34 once his deal expires. I don't see much risk here at all of a really big decline. I guess my point is that 1) I don't think the Avs need to be concerned about getting out of a burdensome contract, and 2) he's easily the fourth best forward on the team right now, and you're not going to find a replacement all that easily anywhere. He's a brilliant player to have on the third line, and who can move up to the second line if need be. Unless something changes (big decline this year, another forward steps up big time), I'll be pretty upset if he's exposed.

Frans is a Selke level defender... I'm not joking there. One of the very best two way centers in the game and is extremely underrated. I'd take Frans over Soda every single day of the week, I'd actually say Frans would be the ideal #2C here right now.

I said replaceable... not necessarily in free agency. Soda will be a #2 or #3... For those spots the Avs may have Duchene, Jost, Grigo, Compher, Colborne (I don't like that option at all, but it is one), and potentially Beaudin. Duchene would obviously be the #2 pick, but #3 could be any of them. Jost easily has more potential and could be better year 1. Compher could round into being a very effective #3 by next season.

Soda doesn't have much foot speed to begin with, if that drops off over the next couple years, he won't be able to keep up. I don't worry about most of his game or injuries... I worry about pacing. I like Soda, but if I'm choosing between Soda and Picks, I choose Picks.

I have a really hard time coming to grips with that being the case with a expansion team whose options for young forwards with upside are going to be limited.

Maybe in trade value, but in a draft where the team is picking 30 times out of a fairly weak pool. If he continues in his current trajectory, there will be more than enough tape on him to disprove any perception like that. I'd imagine Vegas will be scouting all 30 teams heavily with a list of possibles all year as well.

There will be better players than Grigo exposed (off the top of my head, look at Tampa). Hell, there might be better players on the Avs exposed (Soda).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad