Speculation: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part XVII

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
So he went from being looked league-wide as Pronger 2.0 (which is why they offered him that contract) to "not even close to" Phaneuf 2.0 in the span of an injury-riddled year?

No offense but right now you sound like those fans on other boards when they talk about "35 pts" Landeskog.

Yeah but if he's already a scramble brain and prone to more, it's quite the risk if you're trading MacKinnon.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
So he went from being looked league-wide as Pronger 2.0 (which is why they offered him that contract) to "not even close to" Phaneuf 2.0 in the span of an injury-riddled year?

No offense but right now you sound like those fans on other boards when they talk about "35 pts" Landeskog.

SEPH has said Ekblad has looked like Phaneuf since his rookie season. He was a naysayer even when everyone else was crowning Ekblad a star. Maybe you think he's wrong, but he's been very consistent in his evaluation of Ekblad if I recall things correctly.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
SEPH has said Ekblad has looked like Phaneuf since his rookie season. He was a naysayer even when everyone else was crowning Ekblad a star. Maybe you think he's wrong, but he's been very consistent in his evaluation of Ekblad if I recall things correctly.

Yep SEPH has been very adamant about it since before the 2014 draft. I've never been a huge fan of Ekblad (my posting history reflects that), but even I have wavered more than SEPH.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

If he didn't believe in him from the start then fair enough. If people think he's done because of injuries then also fair enough I guess (even though I don't agree). What I don't like is people judging his potential because of the last year.

Personally I saw Ekblad as franchise defenseman. A future Norris winner, selected 12-times-in-a-row-at-the-All-Star-Game type of dman. Ryan Suter with a higher offensive upside. If you have the possibility to buy low on a guy like that you need to do it.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
MacK will not be traded, guys. The "rumor" was from a terrible source and contradicts both logic and other information that we have.

I think the reason Ekblad comes up is just because people think defense is the only thing wrong with the team and people just want to see something done about it, not paying attention to whether it's a good idea or not.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
The thing with MacKinnon is he frustrates me less and less lately. So I'm pretty much 100% against dealing him unless it's a no brainer trade and Ekblad to me isn't a no brainer trade. We've seen it before when young defenders come in and are amazing, only to fizzle out.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If he didn't believe in him from the start then fair enough. If people think he's done because of injuries then also fair enough I guess (even though I don't agree). What I don't like is people judging his potential because of the last year.

Personally I saw Ekblad as franchise defenseman. A future Norris winner, selected 12-times-in-a-row-at-the-All-Star-Game type of dman. Ryan Suter with a higher offensive upside. If you have the possibility to buy low on a guy like that you need to do it.

I've never seen Ekblad as that type of defensemen. Even when he was drafted.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

Missed the boat there with Jones.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I said this yesterday in the GDT and I know many others feel the same way, you just can't bring Beauchemin back next season. Can't have him on the ice or in the dressing room. There's no way.

I like the speed and youth movement approach but I don't think any of that matters if they keep rolling #32 out there. I doubt anyone wants him even at 50% retained so Kroenke has to use the buyout and pay him to go away. Get him out of here as soon as the buyout window opens.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I said this yesterday in the GDT and I know many others feel the same way, you just can't bring Beauchemin back next season. Can't have him on the ice or in the dressing room. There's no way.

I like the speed and youth movement approach but I don't think any of that matters if they keep rolling #32 out there. I doubt anyone wants him even at 50% retained so Kroenke has to use the buyout and pay him to go away. Get him out of here as soon as the buyout window opens.

I hope he's gone but I just have a feeling the organization sees him in a different light. I think they're going to be more than happy to keep him around and keep the letter on his jersey, too.

The guy played almost 25 minutes last night. In an absolutely meaningless game the coaches kept throwing him back out there time and time again. He's "trusted" even though he shouldn't be.

I'll jump for joy if he gets bought out, but I think the organization is more than willing to welcome him back next season. There's a reason he got that 3rd year from us. Sure, it was Roy who negotiated with the agent but Sakic also signed off on it. I think he's here to stay.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
As I posted on the trade rumours for him the guy has progressed nicely considering he's put the same points up as last season with significantly fewer goals. If out team finished just 20th in GF and assuming he had the same point production he would be a 70 point scorer.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I hope he's gone but I just have a feeling the organization sees him in a different light. I think they're going to be more than happy to keep him around and keep the letter on his jersey, too.

The guy played almost 25 minutes last night. In an absolutely meaningless game the coaches kept throwing him back out there time and time again. He's "trusted" even though he shouldn't be.

I'll jump for joy if he gets bought out, but I think the organization is more than willing to welcome him back next season. There's a reason he got that 3rd year from us. Sure, it was Roy who negotiated with the agent but Sakic also signed off on it. I think he's here to stay.

His usage worries me as well but I'm hoping that's just more of a Bednar thing. He's the one who gave Beauchemin the letter before the season and wants him out there as much as possible. Tyutin has been playing up to 20 mins/gm recently and Bourque was on MacKinnon's line even after the deadline and I don't think either one of them are in the Avs plans going forward. Again, just hoping it's stupid lineup decisions by Bednar.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

As others have said, I've never been a huge Ekblad fan. I saw a player who got a lot of overvaluing from being a complete freak of a man against junior players while not displaying a lot of tools for it (IQ, offensive ability, skating).

I saw and still see him as a Dion Phaneuf type of player who took the league by storm earlier on due to superb athletic ability. However, over time as the rest of the league adjusts to his game, he should struggle from his franchise label.

Now don't believe I think he's a bad player. As I write this now I will say he is not a bad player in the slightest. Though he isn't a franchise or #1 defender, he probably will top off as that solid to average #2 as Phaneuf is even without the concussion issues. As for the record I would take Phaneuf on this club, I suggest he got far too much hate for playing in Toronto while he's still a solid top 3 defender. Maybe he's not worth his contract, but Avs could do much worse.

One part of your other post I would like to say you're wrong in is my quote of "not even close to". That is more due to MacKinnon than it is to Ekblad being a player not worth getting. As I said above, he's a solid player I would absolutely take on this club. BUT not for the price of MacKinnon, he's a player I would trade Duchene or Landeskog for. MacKinnon is a player you want to trade for a player who thinks the game at a high level, that is Werenski, Provorov, Hedman, Brodie, Ekman-Larsson, etc., pretty much players that are as untouchable as MacKinnon is.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I've been hard on MacK the past few seasons, but in reality as mentioned already, 51 points on this dumpster fire team is like 71 points anywhere else. In fact, it bears mentioning that everyone else on this team has imploded, while MacKinnon is scoring right around where he was last year despite everything. We've only scored ~150 goals - he's literally around 1/3 of our total offense.

I yearn for some improvement, but with better linemates I assume that will come.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
The last 10 games or so are encouraging for Mack, still not a big fan of his, but its promising at least. I just wish the likes of Dutch and Landy could pull it together more often as well. The offense keeping Dutch and Landy and having them playing to their ability with the likes of Compher, Greer, Jost, and others taking on bigger roles or coming into the lineup would be lethal.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
This is from 30 thoughts on Ken Holland. Isn't this "respect" thing getting absurd. No other sport does it to the lengths hockey does.

16. Finally, I asked about Niklas Kronwall. Kronwall has two years left on his contract, but the actual cash drops and he’s got a partial no-trade. Limited to 54 games, he’s been a model Red Wing, given the organization everything he has, and his body is breaking down. Will he be back? “He has earned the right to sit in my office and discuss what he wants to do. Even if he is injured, we see a lot of value in his attitude and what he brings.”

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It gets way too overblown in hockey. I can't stand the "respect" factor. Leagues like the NFL and NBA will gladly do away with players if they aren't up to par anymore because it's what is best for the team.

The NHL? Nope. Gotta keep those vets!

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
This is from 30 thoughts on Ken Holland. Isn't this "respect" thing getting absurd. No other sport does it to the lengths hockey does.

I don't know.. I think when it's one or two guys who have been with your franchise for a long time. You should make some efforts there.

However mercenaries like FB, Stuart and Iginla who are trying to get that extra year or two at all costs from whatever team will give it to them? lmao no

Although they should have just suspended Datsyuk. What does he care if hes never coming back? And why the hell should the franchise lose assets to "Honor" a players wish to jump ship like that? That move was ********.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I don't know.. I think when it's one or two guys who have been with your franchise for a long time. You should make some efforts there.

However mercenaries like FB, Stuart and Iginla who are trying to get that extra year or two at all costs from whatever team will give it to them? lmao no

Although they should have just suspended Datsyuk. What does he care if hes never coming back? And why the hell should the franchise lose assets to "Honor" a players wish to jump ship like that? That move was ********.

Didn't they get something for him when they traded him to Phoenix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Turkey
    KNOCKOUT Austria vs Turkey
    Wagers: 9
    Staked: $30,850.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia