Speculation: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part XVII

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Some people say 3. Some say 5. Some say 7.

Regardless, he's had enough to warrant caution. He somehow finds a way to put himself into those positions as well. The guy is 6'4" and somehow gets hit in the head by guys around 5'10" - 5'11" with skates making full contact with the ice.

Plus, 7.5m AAV for the hope that he turns out great is a bit steep.

I heard the concussion number is 5, but the concern is the frequency is over the span of 24 months. He is either being rushed back without recovering or the severity is increasing. Couple the problems with his outrageous 8 year extensions starting next year and ends in 2024/25 season. It gets worse after 4 season, he has a NMC to prevent him from being traded. Not sure of his value, but this type of commitment the most he might be worth is a draft pick as his contract could cripple the cap of a team for nearly a decade.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I heard the concussion number is 5, but the concern is the frequency is over the span of 24 months. He is either being rushed back without recovering or the severity is increasing. Couple the problems with his outrageous 8 year extensions starting next year and ends in 2024/25 season. It gets worse after 4 season, he has a NMC to prevent him from being traded. Not sure of his value, but this type of commitment the most he might be worth is a draft pick as his contract could cripple the cap of a team for nearly a decade.

Worst case scenario is LTIR

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Man I wish we could get Drouin right now. If Sven plays well with MacK and Rants I can only imagine how well Drouin would do.

I'd flip Duchene plus a little extra if that were possible. I get we need D help, but establishing a top line of:
Drouin-MacKinnon-Rantanen
For a decade would sure go a long way in establishing this team.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Ekblad, sans concussions, would be one of the more valuable young players in hockey. Also don't think the Panthers are going to "sell low." Regardless of the concussions, his value would be more than anything the Avs can give up.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Man I wish we could get Drouin right now. If Sven plays well with MacK and Rants I can only imagine how well Drouin would do.

I'd flip Duchene plus a little extra if that were possible. I get we need D help, but establishing a top line of:
Drouin-MacKinnon-Rantanen
For a decade would sure go a long way in establishing this team.

At this point it would easier for TB to get MacKinnon than us getting Drouin. I think JD will be the better player going forward.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think it would be good for Landeskog if Beauchemin is bought out and possibly Comeau gone some way or the other.

Look at what happened. Young captain and the front office just starts to get all these old tired veterans and slapping letters and giving them leadership roles. It's really hard for a young guy to hold players like Beachemin and Iginla accountable, even though their efforts suck on the ice.

That and the trade rumors Sakic let fly will mess with a young guy.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
You guys realize that we'd buy extremely low on Ekblad, right? Yeah it's a bit risky, that's why he'd be available. During his teen years, people on HF considered Ekblad the player with the highest trade value in the NHL (that was pre-McDavid of course).

But as usual on HF, you're only as good as your last 10 games or so. No vision, just emotions. That's also why Mack is back being the flavor of the month after being trashed all year on this board (and he was constantly trashed on the main board too. By AVS fans). Short, short memory.

Buying extremely low would still mean giving up something like Mack. So worst case scenario would be losing Mack for nothing if we traded for him.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Can you imagine if we had both EJ and Ekblad going down to injuries every year?

I agree Ekblad sans concussions is the only real MacKinnon trade I wouldn't immediately refuse, but Ekblad sans concussions doesn't exist.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I wouldn't trade MacK for Ekblad personally. I have questions on Ekblad's ultimate upside and I still believe MacK can be that #1C this team needs (and I don't think a better center prospect is available in the near future).

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I'd do Mack for Ekblad. That's about the only trade I'd make for MacKinnon right now though. I definitely would not trade him for a package.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
If you're trading Mack( which I support to a degree) then it has to be for a player with a lot less risk than Ekblad.

Think Lindholm, Risto, or Trouba+

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Curious what our line-up will look like next year.

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Nieto - Duchene or hopefully Patrick or Hischier - Grigorenko
Compher - Jost - Greer
Comeau - Soderbergh - Borque
Andrighetto

(hopefully LV takes Comeau)

Zadorov - Johnson
Bigras - Barrie
Lindholm - Mironov
Beauchemin (hopefully the Avs can trade him for a second round pick and he waives his NMC)
Barber (if the Avs can retain him)

Varlamov - I doubt LV will select him unless it's too flip him
Pickard - still hasn't proven to me that he's a true #1 but with the team he's had in front of him this season, no one including Price and Lundquist, would be able to prove that to me either. I'd protect Pickard in the ED though.

Sorry if I have D on the wrong side. I never manage to get that correct.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I'm hoping for

Ghetto - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Landeskog - Jost - 2017 1st (if ready)
Greer - Compher - Nieto

Zadorov - EJ
*Duchene Trade* - Barrie
Barberio - Minorov
Lindholm

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Duchene better be gone to start next season, for his sake and for the team to move forward, and there better be a good top four defensman added to this club. Those are the only "musts" that I think need to happen. Not checking off those two things will be a big failure.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Duchene better be gone to start next season, for his sake and for the team to move forward, and there better be a good top four defensman added to this club. Those are the only "musts" that I think need to happen. Not checking off those two things will be a big failure.

Why are you setting yourself up like this?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Honestly, Duchene has been garbage since the trade deadline but that's been like what, 20-30 games? He played pretty well prior to the rumors.

Sakic does need to sit down with Duchene at the end of the season and see where his head is at though, but if he sat down with him and asked him if he'd be fine staying on the Avalanche next season. It would probably have to include some sort of promise that there won't be any more leaks regarding his trade status - and he should make that clear to any GM he deals with in the future.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
About the Duchene thing.. Many posters are saying he should have been traded before the deadline. I think Sakic knows what he's doing and those posters would be even more livid if a trade had happened. We know there were negotiations with Montreal that eventually broke down because they didn't want to part with Sergachev. So who were they willing to part with? Maybe Juulsen, or even less? We know that the Islanders made an offer and that Sakic wanted Hamonic involved in the deal, but it's likely that the Islanders didn't want to part with Hamonic while aiming for the playoffs, and Barzal is apparently untouchable. So what was the offer? Almost certainly not the pieces our part of the forum wanted to get in return. There were also rumours about the Penguins having interest with pieces like Fleury and Pouliot on the line. Point is, if our options were anything like what has been reported, are we REALLY worse off by waiting? I think the offers that were on the table back then will still be on the table. Call me a naive fool if we end up with something less in the end :help:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Honestly, Duchene has been garbage since the trade deadline but that's been like what, 20-30 games? He played pretty well prior to the rumors.

Sakic does need to sit down with Duchene at the end of the season and see where his head is at though, but if he sat down with him and asked him if he'd be fine staying on the Avalanche next season. It would probably have to include some sort of promise that there won't be any more leaks regarding his trade status - and he should make that clear to any GM he deals with in the future.

Sakic needs to sit down with himself at the end of the season and see where his own head is before he talks to players.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Can't believe there is "talk" of trading MacKinnon. It's no surprise that he looks a lot better lately. There are players who actually keep up with him on his line, finally. I don't think there should be any concern about him being a consistent 65+ point center.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'm disappointed in seeing people who would do Ekblad for MacKinnon. And it's not just his concussion issues, but people actual think they're comparable in talent. Not even close. Ekblad is still quite young, but there isn't a lot of IQ there nor foot speed. He will still get a lot of goals since all he can do is blast them from the PP point, but he won't be the best player from the 2014 draft. He looked good because he was behind a deep defensive core when he got into the league and his first season as the main anchor, he struggled.

MacKinnon is a player you trade for Provorov or Werenski type of defender. Not for a Dion Phaneuf 2.0, which Ekblad hasn't even come close to the rookie numbers he put up his first four or so seasons. He's still going to be a good player (top 3 "D") since he's a mini-Bigfoot child, but he should start phasing out once the team asks more of him.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
About the Duchene thing.. Many posters are saying he should have been traded before the deadline. I think Sakic knows what he's doing and those posters would be even more livid if a trade had happened. We know there were negotiations with Montreal that eventually broke down because they didn't want to part with Sergachev. So who were they willing to part with? Maybe Juulsen, or even less? We know that the Islanders made an offer and that Sakic wanted Hamonic involved in the deal, but it's likely that the Islanders didn't want to part with Hamonic while aiming for the playoffs, and Barzal is apparently untouchable. So what was the offer? Almost certainly not the pieces our part of the forum wanted to get in return. There were also rumours about the Penguins having interest with pieces like Fleury and Pouliot on the line. Point is, if our options were anything like what has been reported, are we REALLY worse off by waiting? I think the offers that were on the table back then will still be on the table. Call me a naive fool if we end up with something less in the end :help:

This is where the disconnect is.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I think Duchene is gone for sure personally.

As for roster I'd really like something along the lines of:

Rantanen-MacKinnon-Sven/1 year UFA like Versteeg
Landeskog-Jost-Grigorenko/2017 1st if ready
Greer-Compher-Nieto
Soderberg-Boyle-Wingels

EJ-Zadorov
Barrie- *Duchene trade*
Mironov-Barberio

Lindholm/Bigras

A youth movement while adding legitimate playoff experienced veterans in Versteeg/Boyle. Of course we'd need to rid ourselves of Comeau/Colborne/hopefully Soderberg first. Unfortunately I see best case scenario being Comeau picked up by LV.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

I think the offseason was always the best time as there will be far more teams capable of making a big trade like that once the season is over.

The deadline was a good opportunity to set the asking price hella high and see if anyone goes all in. That deadline meant nothing to the Avs, but could have meant a ton to teams like MTL or NSH who will really be feeling it if they go out in the first round.

I still think Sakic played the Duchene situation well. I really hope the whole 'not answering Bergevin's call' was true and happened due to no Sergy on the table :laugh:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'm disappointed in seeing people who would do Ekblad for MacKinnon. And it's not just his concussion issues, but people actual think they're comparable in talent. Not even close. Ekblad is still quite young, but there isn't a lot of IQ there nor foot speed. He will still get a lot of goals since all he can do is blast them from the PP point, but he won't be the best player from the 2014 draft. He looked good because he was behind a deep defensive core when he got into the league and his first season as the main anchor, he struggled.

MacKinnon is a player you trade for Provorov or Werenski type of defender. Not for a Dion Phaneuf 2.0, which Ekblad hasn't even come close to the rookie numbers he put up his first four or so seasons. He's still going to be a good player (top 3 "D") since he's a mini-Bigfoot child, but he should start phasing out once the team asks more of him.

So he went from being looked league-wide as Pronger 2.0 (which is why they offered him that contract) to "not even close to" Phaneuf 2.0 in the span of an injury-riddled year?

No offense but right now you sound like those fans on other boards when they talk about "35 pts" Landeskog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad