Speculation: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Related Topics 2016-17 Part XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't think anyone is suggesting that. Given the right opportunity, it should be addressed ASAP. It should have been addressed years ago, but they keep passing the buck year after year. At somepoint that has to stop. If not this summer, it needs to be next summer... otherwise it will be another full-on reset.

I think quite a few want it addressed one way or another in June

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Literally all Matheson says in his article is that executives around the NHL don't consider MacKinnon untouchable the way he used to be and I don't buy that vague statement for a second. Matheson has been known to write about the Avs in the past (Barrie, O'Reilly) and not have a clue.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think quite a few want it addressed one way or another in June

The closest I've routinely seen is saying Duchene should be traded this summer for a young D + or for a 1st rounder + that should be spent on a D. I wouldn't say that is exactly forcing it to say they did. Everybody knows Duchene is done here, just a matter of when. Is it this summer? Next deadline? Following summer? etc.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The #1D problem is real, and we need one, but the stark reality of it is that those are not really available right now, either in trade or in the 2017 draft. If we're in a full rebuild (which everybody seems to agree on), then we will probably have to wait until the 2018 draft, when it looks like good D will be available to draft. Dahlin isn't the only really promising blueliner in that class. True tear-it-down rebuilds are multi-year projects, and people seem to really want to force the D question this year for some reason. There are still people calling for reaching for Liljegren at 4, even though he wouldn't even be a #1.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I would quite happily see MacKinnon gone but he's unquestionably the style of player we should be building around, so it'd be sort of pointless.

Grigorenko, as we're all aware, should be fired into the sun.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The #1D problem is real, and we need one, but the stark reality of it is that those are not really available right now, either in trade or in the 2017 draft. If we're in a full rebuild (which everybody seems to agree on), then we will probably have to wait until the 2018 draft, when it looks like good D will be available to draft. Dahlin isn't the only really promising blueliner in that class. True tear-it-down rebuilds are multi-year projects, and people seem to really want to force the D question this year for some reason. There are still people calling for reaching for Liljegren at 4, even though he wouldn't even be a #1.

I wouldn't say he can't be a #1. The talent is there, he is just a really risk projection to that level. I wouldn't select Lilj at #4, but I can understand the idea behind it and I wouldn't consider that a force.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

Disagree with that. IMO Liljegren still has a decent chance of turning into an offensive #1 D like say Letang if everything goes well for him.

He IMO is not more of a risk than Tippett and to me a better prospect as well.

I agree about the 2018 draft.

But people always keep saying we can't force D so there is a chance that BPA to many people will be a forward then as well.

But why the hell not "force" it?

Its not like the other options are so much better or that there is a good way to get the much needed D elsewhere. There are no slam dunks available in this draft anyways.

I absolutely would hope that the Avs would pick Liljegren if we end up at #4 overall...

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017
I wouldn't say he can't be a #1. The talent is there, he is just a really risk projection to that level. I wouldn't select Lilj at #4, but I can understand the idea behind it and I wouldn't consider that a force.

I honestly wouldnt mind taking lilj at 4. I agree he has #1 upside. Yes he is riskier than the forward prospects but alot depends on sakics trade conversations. He should have an idea if he will be able to aquire a top end d prospect in a potential dutch or landy trade. If those type of players just arent available then i would pull the trigger on drafting lilj because that will be only way to get high end d prospect

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Honestly outside of Vilardi I don't know enough about any of the top prospects to say definitively who I want and don't want. I'm no scout.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'll state right now, even if they 'force' something this summer and still end up with a top 5 pick in next year's draft. They should force a D pick in 2018. The class is simply too good to not do it.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I'll state right now, even if they 'force' something this summer and still end up with a top 5 pick in next year's draft. They should force a D pick in 2018. The class is simply too good to not do it.

I generally agree save for one draft spot:

#2 if Dahlin goes #1.

I very much rather pass on Vilardi/Mittelstadt/Tippett/etc for Liljegren than I would want to pass on Svechnikov at this moment for McIsaac (whom I really like) or Wilde. IMO that guy has franchise player potential from the little I have seen from him this season. Looks to be really special...
Don't want to pass on the next Malkin just because we couldn't bring ourselves to pick or trade for quality Ds the years before that...

We will see how things shake out in 2018.
The only thing I know is that I really would love to get another 1st or two in that draft.

Can't say the same about 2017. Give me Liljegren instead of the other guys who are not a safe bet anyways.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

For sure, there's a bunch of potentially high potential Dmen next year, Dahlin being the best of the bunch right now. I'd be totally fine picking a Dman high next year (especially if we suck again).

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Svech is a special player (Laine/Matthews caliber IMO), but I'd argue that is the single best shot the Avs will have at drafting a #1D during the MacK/Rants/Jost/Zadorov core window. Not something to be wasted.

For sure, there's a bunch of potentially high potential Dmen next year, Dahlin being the best of the bunch right now. I'd be totally fine picking a Dman high next year (especially if we suck again).

There are 4 that I REALLY like and a couple that I expect to impress next season.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Svech is a special player (Laine/Matthews caliber IMO), but I'd argue that is the single best shot the Avs will have at drafting a #1D during the MacK/Rants/Jost/Zadorov core window. Not something to be wasted.

There are 4 that I REALLY like and a couple that I expect to impress next season.

The solution to that dilemma is to pick Liljegren (who hopefully looks like a future #1 D in the making when the 2018 draft happens )in this draft and hopefully have atleast 2 1sts in 2018 ;).

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

Who are those players, and any chance you can give a quick rundown of them?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm usually against the misery but this team is so far away that I'm down for a tank year. They don't have to do much to really tank because of how bad they are but just nudge it a bit more in that direction with the moves they make.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I guess I just disagree that Liljegren has #1 potential. If everything goes right I see a poor man's Karlsson, who I consider a pretty poor #1 in his own right. The top 4 forwards IMO are clearly just better and safer prospects overall. I would hate to pass on Mittelstadt for Liljegren and then have Liljegren turn out to be Tyson Barrie 2.0 and have that be the legacy of this ghastly season.

Desperation is a really, really poor draft strategy, especially in a draft that is devoid of top pair D prospects. The forwards need help too, especially if we move on from Duchene. The cold hard fact is that the defenseman we need is not in the 2017 draft. Forwards are what we have been given. It sucks and it's not fair, but that's the hand we've been dealt and there's no changing it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Who are those players, and any chance you can give a quick rundown of them?

Probably better suited for a draft thread.

The four I really like:

Dahlin - we all know on him... amazing player, maybe the next generational D.
McIssac - great all around D working himself into a #1 role as a rookie. No real weakness in his game, has a great frame/skating combo. Controls the game better than any D I've seen in the Q for a long, long time. Still learning how to pick his spots offensively and has some lapses defensively. Minor nitpicks for a 16 year old. Reminds me a lot of Doughty. Incredibly high compete.
Wilde - Big, mobile, supremely skilled. He will be an offensive force in the NHL. Defensive game needs to take some strides. Needs to slow his game down from a mental aspect. Probably the 2nd highest ceiling D in this draft (would be highest in most drafts)
Evan Bouchard - This is probably the shocking one... Not a great skater (above average, but needs work IMO) and had a pretty bad start to the season adjusting to a bigger role in London. He has been a beast the 2nd half. Probably the best pure passer of this bunch. Phenomenal puck mover, and very, very smart. Was thought to be an offensive guy going into the OHL, but I think his defensive game is stronger. Could be NHL ready by the 18-19 season.

Couple of the others I like: Merkley (skilled, dynamic... I question how good he can be defensively), Xavier Bouchard (like his all around game, needs some skating work and to get stronger... obviously wasn't ready for his role this season, but managing well). Dobson (dynamic when he is on, great offensive skills and a good frame... defense needs a lot of work).

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Alexeyev could be... looks like a mid to late 2nd guy to me right now. These will move around as there is more to look at. Bucheler is the kid I really want to see more. I think he will be a big riser.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I'd throw Alexeyev into the mix. I think he's a possible first rounder. McIsaac is good but he's a bit of a dick, I know thats a plus in some people's book.

I checked him out a bit after you mentioned him before and I agree.

He is a bit of a questionmark thanks to his limited exposure and his recent injury but the little I could find about him sounds really intriguing.

If he can build on his recent performance in the CHL, I really would not mind picking him up (preferably with a 2nd mid 1st rounder.)

Dahlin, McIsaac, Wilde, Bouchard, Hughes, Alexeyev, Merkley, Boqvist, Dobson..

I really want two top20 picks next year if possible. And it is not like between Svechnikov, Veleno, Khovanov, MacDonald, Farabee, Zadina, Lundestrom, Thomas, Denisenko or Kravtsov the forwards look all too shabby either.

Deeper at D than forward but there will be some really intriguing guys available in the 12-20 range as well if the class can live up to its current hype..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad