GDT: Avalanche vs Bruins 1/18/24 @ 5:00PM MNT Moose vs Bear who will win?

Who wins in a fight Bear, Moose or Gorilla?

• Total voters

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
He’s the 36th highest paid goalie because he was an unproven RFA when he signed that deal. Compared to others in that realm, he’s on the higher end. Along with that lower paid goalies are out performing him. Either he can be at least average… or the Avs need to find an average goalie.

If George rebounds with 3 good games in a row before having a below average to poor game… and do that consistently… the screaming about him will stop. Until he does that, things will just be touchy.
Exactly one good game a month isn't cutting it.

There are average backups playing better and certainly more consistent hockey than George.

We need him to at least give some consistent reasons efforts, this .850 sv percentage for 3-5 games followed by 1 game of .950 or better doesn't work.

If he finds some consistency people will lay off him.

Reactions: henchman21

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
He’s the 36th highest paid goalie because he was an unproven RFA when he signed that deal. Compared to others in that realm, he’s on the higher end. Along with that lower paid goalies are out performing him. Either he can be at least average… or the Avs need to find an average goalie.
And he completely outplayed that deal last year. I wish you can get consistent top 5-10 goaltending from the 36th highest paid goalie year after year. But its a very high variance position.

We play Edmonton hockey at this point. We win despite the goalie. We have to score 5 to have a chance. Super unrealistic and absolutely ridiculous.
Yup. A one line team right now with two great pairings, the stars still killing it, but they are getting overplayed. We need Lehkonen, Nuke and Byram back so we don't ice Polin, McDermiad and JMFJ every night. JMFJ can sub in every now and then.

Exactly one good game a month isn't cutting it.

There are average backups playing better and certainly more consistent hockey than George.

We need him to at least give some consistent reasons efforts, this .850 sv percentage for 3-5 games followed by 1 game of .950 or better doesn't work.

If he finds some consistency people will lay off him.
The average backups aren't asked to play almost every game. They can't possibly play "more consistently", they don't play consistently against all opponent quality.

Last edited:

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I love not actually being pissed off for this one since I went into it expecting a clear L. I mean, honestly, did anyone here actually think we had a shot at beating the Bruins in Boston with 4giev in net?

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Old coaching secret........ when your goalie isn't making saves, you always tell the team that pointing that one finger means that the other 4 are pointing back at yourself.

And that everyone on the ice is partly to blame for the goal that has been scored..... at some point, some time, somebody blew an assignment.

It's a coping technique.... lol

Ever notice that when the goalie plays out of his head, he gets all the credit and the 5 skaters don't share in the glory? :sarcasm:

That's why you need 2 (TWO!) NHL quality goaltenders! Or at least a backup that can play a bunch of games at that level until the ship rights itself.

Management has screwed the pooch here and the players all know it.
Thats exactly what a quality backup goalie like Frankie was. Good enough to play for a stretch so that the starter can get a refresh. CMAC definitely missed the boat on this earlier; if Annunen wasn't good enough, you need to go get a backup.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com

If George rebounds with 3 good games in a row before having a below average to poor game… and do that consistently… the screaming about him will stop. Until he does that, things will just be touchy.

True, but they also need a suitable backup. Some of the problem is he's overworked.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I love not actually being pissed off for this one since I went into it expecting a clear L. I mean, honestly, did anyone here actually think we had a shot at beating the Bruins in Boston with 4giev in net?
Didn't we just beat Boston with Georgiev in net a few weeks ago and he won the shootout? The stars needed to be perfect though, which you can't expect every game, unsustainable. The depth is not giving us any margin of error.

Reactions: Vk1ing

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
And he completely outplayed that deal last year. I wish you can get consistent top 5-10 goaltending from the 36th highest paid goalie year after year. But its a very high variance position.

Yup. A one line team right now with two great pairings, the stars still killing it, but they are getting overplayed. We need Lehkonen, Nuke and Byram back so we don't ice Polin, McDermiad and JMFJ every night. JMFJ can sub in every now and then.

The average backups aren't asked to play almost every game. They can't possibly play "more consistently", they don't play consistently against all opponent quality.
He out played it for while… he also shit the bed in the playoffs too. These RFA guys who are to become starters parlay these deals to longer 5.5-6m deals.

If George wants a legit starting job, he has to simply play better or the job will slip away.

True, but they also need a suitable backup. Some of the problem is he's overworked.
Maybe some… but he also is so vocal about being the starter that plays a lot of games…

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
We should really get a goalie like Kappo Kakkonen like Vegas got Adin Hill last year. We have to invest sufficiently (not over-invest) but not go too cheapskate on goaltending.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
We should really get a goalie like Kappo Kakkonen like Vegas got Adin Hill last year. We have to invest sufficiently (not over-invest) but not go too cheapskate on goaltending.
I rather ride with Annunen. Give him the Philly game and see how he looks.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
He out played it for while… he also shit the bed in the playoffs too. These RFA guys who are to become starters parlay these deals to longer 5.5-6m deals.

If George wants a legit starting job, he has to simply play better or the job will slip away.

Maybe some… but he also is so vocal about being the starter that plays a lot of games…
He already has a legit starting job, but we need a quality backup like Frankie last year, which is a huge help for him last year.

I rather ride with Annunen. Give him the Philly game and see how he looks.
I'd love for Annunen to succeed, so would love to give him another shot next game. At the same time, CMAC needs to be on the phone for plan C and D. If Annunen fails, we can't make a Devan Dubnyk trade and call it a day.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I think this is a game where Georgiev should've made a big save, but many of those goals were not weak.
He did make some good saves when it was 3-1 and 3-2. Avs couldnt get that third goal and the Bruins wrecked them on the late PP. Avs played for 20 minutes probably. Didnt see the 1st or 3rd period.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
He already has a legit starting job, but we need a quality backup like Frankie last year, which is a huge help for him last year.

I'd love for Annunen to succeed, so would love to give him another shot next game. At the same time, CMAC needs to be on the phone for plan C and D. If Annunen fails, we can't make a Devan Dubnyk trade and call it a day.
My point is… he’s a guy who gets testy when somebody is challenging his job. Avs go get Allen, George could turn back into a drama queen (likely given his history). If he is going to be that sort of guy… he simply has to be better than he is. If he’s willing to fall to a platoon role, the Avs should go out and get a guy who can split with him.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
We play Edmonton hockey from the last couple years
Edmonton is playing like the Avs from 2-3 years ago and the Avs are playing like the Oilers from 2-3 years ago.

I was reading a discussion on their forum earlier this week and they were looking at our top players time on ice against Montreal...they were all saying how happy they were to not be there anymore.

We rely on our stars playing 30 min a game and our PP. This recipe is a proven failure for the playoffs.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He did make some good saves when it was 3-1 and 3-2. Avs couldnt get that third goal and the Bruins wrecked them on the late PP. Avs played for 20 minutes probably. Didnt see the 1st or 3rd period.
Yeah, Avs didn't show up in the first ten minutes, but a lot of Bruins goals in the first period were quite fluky to me. Miss passes right to unintended targets and random bounces straight to open Bruin sticks. We've had a few of those games go in our favour, so I ain't complaining about tonight, I am complaining because Avs should've won against the Habs.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
.963 SV% for Stuart Skinner during the Oilers win streak. Must be nice.

Haha honestly, I’ve been reading this board for the better part of 7 or 8 years a couple of times a week. I’ve always enjoyed reading it, but was a little nervous about actually interacting for some weird reason. Thanks for the welcome!
Why weird? You eat booty or not?

twostroke2023

Dec 15, 2023
.963 SV% for Stuart Skinner during the Oilers win streak. Must be nice.

Why weird? You eat booty or
Booty is often on the menu.

Funny how that happens, your goalie makes saves, you win games. Truthfully even a .910 save percentage would make a difference. You simply can’t play winning hockey with your goalie playing sub .900, regardless of the chances given up.

I’d also argue that the difference between an nhl goalie and a ahl goalie is their ability to save a decent amount of high danger chances and make most of the stops they are supposed to. Hes doing neither right now.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
I only got to watch the first half of the game but I thought DeBrusk was pretty noticeable. Pretty funny I remember the consensus was that he wasn't worth trading Jost for

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I only got to watch the first half of the game but I thought DeBrusk was pretty noticeable. Pretty funny I remember the consensus was that he wasn't worth trading Jost for
The Avs will go after him hard if he makes it to market.

People just loved Jost too much. I remember getting railed dry for say Josh Norris was similar if not a better prospect than Jost.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I’m sick and tired of hearing he couldn’t do anything on the other teams’ goals.

How about this?

Name one or two times where he actually made a big save and prevented a clear goal?

Every f***ing high danger chance ends up in the back of the net. I don’t give a f*** who’s at fault, at some point you simply need your goaltender to make some big saves.

He allows a minimum of 2 goals in every first period and is an absolute guarantee to allow at least 4 across 60 minutes. 8 of the last 9 games with a save percentage under 90%.

This is the National Hockey League, we need our goalies to make a save.
I mean watch any team with a half decent goalie. They'll have multiple breakdowns each game. Guess what a half decent goalie does... makes a save. Now I'm not expecting George to make a save on every single breakdown that happens, thats unrealistic. But the whole point of a goalie is to help out every once in awhile when the defense breaks down. Or in Georges case when any puck comes in a 10ft radius of him.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Not really upset about the loss because I penciled this in as a loss anyways. Teams usually split games in Denver then in Boston.

Just come out with a win in Philadelphia and make the road trip a success. Should have won in Montreal, didn't, so now you have to win in Philadelphia.

The Avs have two games at home after this vs Washington and LA, then the ASG, then a six game death trip against the Rangers, Devils, Hurricanes, Panthers, Capitals, and Lightning.

Including the Flyers game, I am hopeful the Avs can go 5-4-0 or 5-3-1. Given the injuries, substance abuse, and Georgiev, I think that'd be a success.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
In general George is fine with the high danger stuff. He’s not elite or anything, but average to good. The medium danger stuff is the killer. He gave up 2 on 9 shots tonight. 32 of 227 on the season. Thats the unacceptable part.

He’s played well for a few games, so if this is the stinker and he comes back with 3 good games… that actually doesn’t bother me. He does this against Philly or Washington… that’ll be a continuance of this problem.

Reactions: GeoRox89 and hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad