Value of: Auston Matthews

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I wonder what the leafs would want from NYR for him. Lets say he doesnt agree to an extension before his NMC kicks in, the Leafs lose some leverage so the price wont be as high as some think imo. I think theyd move him to NYR for Chytil and Kandre Miller. Rangers make that move if hes willing to be extended 8 years.

32 thoughts today speculated he might wanna max aav for 4 years so he can sign one last mega deal 4 years down the road

Not going to comment on NYR.

Regarding max? No chance anyone signed Matthews to a $17mil per year AAV. That’s auto trade territory.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
To me, he wants to stay in Toronto with another 4-5 year deal and then go to Arizona when they are on solid ground and winning.

I would love to know if anyone has gotten any indication, directly or indirectly, from Auston or anyone in his orbit that he has even the slightest intention of ever playing for Arizona? If so, I'd also love for them to share that insight.

Or is it just 100% speculation based on the fact that he's from there and it's warmer than Toronto?

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
This happens every year. I’m fact teams don’t just keep their own guys on expiring contracts they actually pay assets to get players on expiring contracts. You see there is this thing called the Stanley Cup that teams are trying to win.

Sure, but my point was that this team was 11 wins away from the Stanley Cup parade with this core that was bolstered with veteran rentals. Unless you’re going to make a major shake up to the team, running this team back one more year with another batch of rentals AND adding your own very expensive rentals is a MASSIVE roll of the dice (and the team would not be any better than this year’s team without some sort of shake-up).

The very few teams that use their own self-rentals on premier players is very few and it almost always bites them in the arse.

Reactions: OMG67

Snarky Coyote

May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
Let's remember that no player is going to trash his current team openly, and Mathews is smart. Plenty of players can't work things out, and it's left as we tried; we couldn't make it happen. I don't know what will happen with Mathews, but I can't see him coming to Arizona unless he really wants to be here, AND the team will overpay him. Never believe a player or GM when they are discussing possible future contract extensions. As far as what it would take - I don't know if the Coyotes would give much for Mathews, not because he isn't an amazing player but because we don't have that much that would help Toronto. I assume a 1st (12) this year, 2024 1st, and two roster players not named Cooley or Guenther. I don't think that gets anywhere close to a rental value at the draft, and after his NMC locks in, he calls the shots. At that point, we are not competing for the cup, so getting him at the deadline is worth a 1st top - and more likely a second to try and sign him before UFA. Other teams would do better, as he could be the missing piece to a cup. I don't see him coming to AZ unless he chooses it as a UFA and not sure I could make a case why he should at this point. Now if he signs a 4-year deal with someone else I could see him coming in 4 years to take a loaded team in a new arena to the promised land. That's again if he wants to, is overpaid and not broken down over the next 4 years. Lots of ifs.

Reactions: Guffman

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
His recent comments make it pretty clear he's going to stay, and honestly they'd be crazy to trade him. He had a "down" year this year and still put up huge numbers. Sure, he wasn't amazing in the playoffs but still had his moments. If they move him, they'll never get a player back that's as good as him, and they'll likely lose whichever trade that is.

You keep your superstars, especially if they want to stay. For all the crap he gets (the playoff stuff is warranted, sure) he's still young and still a top player in the league.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Sounding more and more like the Leafs will extend Dubas. Which means Matthews, Marner and the rest of the core guys will all be coming back.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
okay, imagine you are an incoming GM ...would you want a season remove Hart winner, and one of the best players in the world on your team, or sell him off for lesser players?
All depends if that new GM is looking to win a cup or just have a great regular season team.

Reactions: OMG67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I would love to know if anyone has gotten any indication, directly or indirectly, from Auston or anyone in his orbit that he has even the slightest intention of ever playing for Arizona? If so, I'd also love for them to share that insight.

Or is it just 100% speculation based on the fact that he's from there and it's warmer than Toronto?

110% speculation. No different than guys like JT wanting to play in Toronto.

I think if/when Arizona gets their hockey rink on the right location, the franchise will be in a much better situation. They’re building through some solid youth. I figure in 4-5 years, that youth will be ready or already rumbling at a decent clip. At that point, someone like AM would likely be less hesitant to return home to finish his career.

I don’t think that’s unrealistic.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Let's remember that no player is going to trash his current team openly, and Mathews is smart. Plenty of players can't work things out, and it's left as we tried; we couldn't make it happen. I don't know what will happen with Mathews, but I can't see him coming to Arizona unless he really wants to be here, AND the team will overpay him. Never believe a player or GM when they are discussing possible future contract extensions. As far as what it would take - I don't know if the Coyotes would give much for Mathews, not because he isn't an amazing player but because we don't have that much that would help Toronto. I assume a 1st (12) this year, 2024 1st, and two roster players not named Cooley or Guenther. I don't think that gets anywhere close to a rental value at the draft, and after his NMC locks in, he calls the shots. At that point, we are not competing for the cup, so getting him at the deadline is worth a 1st top - and more likely a second to try and sign him before UFA. Other teams would do better, as he could be the missing piece to a cup. I don't see him coming to AZ unless he chooses it as a UFA and not sure I could make a case why he should at this point. Now if he signs a 4-year deal with someone else I could see him coming in 4 years to take a loaded team in a new arena to the promised land. That's again if he wants to, is overpaid and not broken down over the next 4 years. Lots of ifs.

I think Arizona is the best option for the Leafs. Hayton and Crouse are the exact type of players that would help the Leafs in many ways. The 12th pick this year would help restock the draft cabinet. Next years 1st and one of those four 2nds would round out the deal nicely. If Arizona needs a contract dump to make their budget work then the Leafs take on that extra contract.

To me, that is the best option.

Snarky Coyote

May 3, 2009
Now with more snark
Arizona may be the best option for the Leafs, but Mathews doesn't do anything positive for the Coyotes. Let me explain - We don't have more tickets to sell; we are pretty much sold out since we only sell about 4200 a game. Even if we could charge more, there isn't a market, and it wouldn't matter anyway in the cosmic scheme of things. We don't have a team of skilled players as it is, and what it would cost to get him would make it even harder to be competitive and bring up young players. And it's not like we are a Mathews away from winning the cup. The worst case is he becomes superhuman and carries us to a playoff berth. We lose in the first round and pick 20th. We need to move on draft well and focus on a few years down the road. Maybe trading then for AM or a player like him makes sense.

Reactions: Nowotny

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Not only that... but he's still only 25 years old.

The reality is, if the Leafs put Matthews on the block, there will probably be a list of upwards of 20 teams making calls... simply because it will probably be the only chance to get a player of his ilk.

From a Leaf standpoint, given that they'd be trying to turn around and continue being contenders, they have to be somewhat specific on the package. It needs to include somebody who is around Matthews age, or younger, that can comfortably slot in as a top 6 C on a contender.

The package also needs to include something to satisfy some of the other areas of the roster -- whether that's a big defenceman, a goalie... certainly can be up for debate.

If you're looking at Arizona, I'd imagine it's a package of Barrett Hayton, Lawson Crouse , Conor Geekie and a pick or two.

Before everyone jumps in and says "they'll just wait for him to become UFA"... it's not that simple. The Coyotes need a rink, and they kind of need the deal done this summer. Getting Auston Matthews, likely gets them their rink.

There is also the risk / reality, that if AZ doesn't step up to the plate on a trade, that the Leafs could go and trade him to LA, or some other reasonably desirable destination, and that team turns around and gives him something to the tune of $14 x 8.
The arena referendum is tomorrow (Tuesday, May 16th).

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
How about a good ol' fashioned hockey trade. Swap a Cali boy for a London kid.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
I think Matthews believe what many Leafs fans believe. He thinks he is a smidge less valuable than McDavid. McDavid has a 16.7% contract. I think Matthews won’t go lower than 16%.
A smidge?

Yeah. They're basically the same player. 🤣🤣🤣

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
To het Matthews to commit to an 8 year term how much per year will a club need to go: 15 per?

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Sure, but my point was that this team was 11 wins away from the Stanley Cup parade with this core that was bolstered with veteran rentals. Unless you’re going to make a major shake up to the team, running this team back one more year with another batch of rentals AND adding your own very expensive rentals is a MASSIVE roll of the dice (and the team would not be any better than this year’s team without some sort of shake-up).

The very few teams that use their own self-rentals on premier players is very few and it almost always bites them in the arse.
Not true. Explain why it makes more sense for teams to PAY for a rental rather than a good team keeping their own.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad