Value of: Auston Matthews

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
He is a 60 goal scorer who disappears come playoff time.

Good call searching out trade partners.

Ill pick Arizona for shits and giggles.....

To Arizona - Auston Matthews - signs 8 x 13.5 million

To Toronto - Logan Cooley + 2023 6th overall pick + conditional 2025 1st rounder (top 10 protected)

Leafs sign Nylander for 8 x 10.

Re-sign Ror for 4 x 5.5

Draft - Reinbacher at 6th and Gulyayev/Simashev/Dragicevic at 28.

Move forward with....

Marner
Nylander
Ror - his contract will take him to retirement at which point you will be freeing cap for Cooley and Knies second contracts
Cooley
Tavares - only at team discount in Summer 2025
Knies

Reilly
Lilje
Reinbacher
Gul/Sim/Drag

But....what do I know about depth...I'm a lowly Habs fan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fatass

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Not true. Explain why it makes more sense for teams to PAY for a rental rather than a good team keeping their own.

You pay the full AAV for your own players. Rentals you acquire are often discounted, and the remaining portion is prorated. You can basically get a lot of player value via TDL rentals, while still getting them under the cap.

I would be interested to see a listing of elite players that teams have kept as self rentals, and what was accomplished with then and where they went in the offseason.

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
Pre July 1st Deal with hopes of an extension in Arizona.

Hayton, Geekie, Lamoureux, 1st (no conditions) and a 2nd for Matthews. Think that would get it done?

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
McDavid didn’t get 16% of the future cap. He got 16% of the current cap. As the cap goes up, the percentage comes down.

How it works in these situations is the agents project where the cap will be in the middle year of the contract or the average cap value for the duration of the contract. Then they demand the percentage of that number.

In this case, I am projecting a cap average during Matthews next contract of $90mil. So he will get the normal 14-15% of THAT number. 16% of this cap is meaningless if the average cap is projected to go up a lot.
What? Why would the % of the cap stay the same as the cap goes up and the salary stays the same?

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Matthews has the Leafs in a bind here. Curious to see how the Leafs approach this...

Matthews has a gun to their head.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
You pay the full AAV for your own players. Rentals you acquire are often discounted, and the remaining portion is prorated. You can basically get a lot of player value via TDL rentals, while still getting them under the cap.

I would be interested to see a listing of elite players that teams have kept as self rentals, and what was accomplished with then and where they went in the offseason.
all contracts are pro rated as the year goes on. Even the ones you have.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Matthews has the Leafs in a bind here. Curious to see how the Leafs approach this...

Matthews has a gun to their head.
He doesn't at all

Playoffs:
Mackinnon - 100pts in 77gp
McDavid - 75pts in 49gp
Matthews 44pts in 50gp

We have to pay him more than the other two? Yeah what will we ever do without him??? Lmfao

Panthers and other teams have proved you can literally squeeze into the playoffs being the 17th best team in the league and make runs, our core 4 proved you can have all the talent in the world and still get bounced 8 years in a row in the first round.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
all contracts are pro rated as the year goes on. Even the ones you have.

Irrelevant to my points. If you’re keeping your self rental, his entire AAV gets absorbed by the end of the season. Not true with rentals you acquire later in the season.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
He doesn't at all

Playoffs:
Mackinnon - 100pts in 77gp
McDavid - 75pts in 49gp
Matthews 44pts in 50gp

We have to pay him more than the other two? Yeah what will we ever do without him??? Lmfao

Panthers and other teams have proved you can literally squeeze into the playoffs being the 17th best team in the league and make runs, our core 4 proved you can have all the talent in the world and still get bounced 8 years in a row in the first round.
That's fine for Matthews. The Leafs tell Matthews you won't keep him because he's only 0.88ppg in the playoffs? He's going to say that's fine, you're not going to trade me unless I say where I want to go... or else the Leafs lose him for nothing.

How does that help the Leafs?

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
That's fine for Matthews. The Leafs tell Matthews you won't keep him because he's only 0.88ppg in the playoffs? He's going to say that's fine, you're not going to trade me unless I say where I want to go... or else the Leafs lose him for nothing.

How does that help the Leafs?
That happens July 1st, before that we can trade him anywhere.

And I guess we'll take the 14 million he wants and invest it in other players? I mean what's the worst that can happen? We get bounced 1st round another 8 years??? So current results or maybe we'll miss the playoffs and finish our year April 14th as opposed to May 1, the travesty!

Mar 26, 2010
since Matthews just said he has every intention of RE-SIGNING why do we still have these posts?
Because Oilers fans like to live in denial. Like to convince themselves that Matthews is worthless and that no one wants him.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Irrelevant to my points. If you’re keeping your self rental, his entire AAV gets absorbed by the end of the season. Not true with rentals you acquire later in the season.
It’s a single snapshot at a specific point in time not two. You are talking about two different Things and calling them both apples.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022

And I guess we'll take the 14 million he wants and invest it in other players? I mean what's the worst that can happen? We get bounced 1st round another 8 years??? So current results or maybe we'll miss the playoffs and finish our year April 14th as opposed to May 1, the travesty!
Trading Matthews and his mega caphit before July 1st in a league where salary commitments are tight against the cap and most teams are choked up is like doing complicated surgery on an airplane flying into a storm... with a gun to your head. Good luck getting good value!

since Matthews just said he has every intention of RE-SIGNING why do we still have these posts?
John Tavares said he would re-sign as well. How did that work out?

Dubas gave a front-loaded, salary-bonus laden, NMC-in-final-year contract and couldn't buy even a single measly UFA year out of it. For his troubles he got the Leafs one (1) playoff series win.

Now it's Matthews turn to show his loyalty to the Leafs organization, I suppose. Let's all hold our breathes and see how it shakes out.
1684242085534.png

Reactions: RogerRoger

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010

Matthews does have a gun to their head.

But so does literally every superstar a year before UFA.

They'll sign him, it'll be big money, but it will be fine. They'll move other pieces if they need to.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Trading Matthews and his mega caphit before July 1st in a league where salary commitments are tight against the cap and most teams are choked up is like doing complicated surgery on an airplane flying into a storm... with a gun to your head. Good luck getting good value!

John Tavares said he would re-sign as well. How did that work out?

Dubas gave a front-loaded, salary-bonus laden, NMC-in-final-year contract and couldn't buy even a single measly UFA year out of it. For his troubles he got the Leafs one (1) playoff series win.

Now it's Matthews turn to show his loyalty to the Leafs organization, I suppose. Let's all hold our breathes and see how it shakes out.
View attachment 709239
We can eat 50% or take back salary its only a year.

Matthews does have a gun to their head.

But so does literally every superstar a year before UFA.

They'll sign him, it'll be big money, but it will be fine. They'll move other pieces if they need to.
Yeah it'll be fine, he'll continue cashing the checks and maybe one day he'll actually do something in the playoffs. 8 years of failure is apparently fine.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
We can eat 50% or take back salary its only a year.
If the Leafs want to tear it down and start yet another re-build they will not manage to do much with all the other top players stuck in place. Unless you think they can sell all of them at the same time? Ooof.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
If the Leafs want to tear it down and start yet another re-build they will not manage to do much with all the other top players stuck in place. Unless you think they can sell all of them at the same time? Ooof.
Florida proved you can hobble into the playoffs and do damage, the Leafs proved you can waltz into the playoffs year after year dominating the season and do zero damage.

The Leafs don't need to sell everyone or anyone really, if the stars want to win let them take a cut, they won't because they love money, no problem. We tried their formula of paying them like they would perform in the playoffs, they didn't, so it's time to move on from as many of them as it takes.

With Tavares coming off in two years, from the core 4 the Leafs will have 40+ million to play with.

They can do this in a variety of ways, but everyone should be on the market.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Florida proved you can hobble into the playoffs and do damage, the Leafs proved you can waltz into the playoffs year after year dominating the season and do zero damage.

The Leafs don't need to sell everyone or anyone really, if the stars want to win let them take a cut, they won't because they love money, no problem. We tried their formula of paying them like they would perform in the playoffs, they didn't, so it's time to move on from as many of them as it takes.

With Tavares coming off in two years, from the core 4 the Leafs will have 40+ million to play with.

They can do this in a variety of ways, but everyone should be on the market.
I'm not sure what you're saying.

The Habs limped into the playoffs and did a lot of damage, I remember that.

But I also remember how hard it is to amass talent. Cap hit alone doesn't get you players who score 40g+. It's a big problem if the Leafs decided to trade Matthews away -- where will they send him and what return? How can you replace the big4 without tanking?

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
I'm not sure what you're saying.

The Habs limped into the playoffs and did a lot of damage, I remember that.

But I also remember how hard it is to amass talent. Cap hit alone doesn't get you players who score 40g+. It's a big problem if the Leafs decided to trade Matthews away -- where will they send him and what return? How can you replace the big4 without tanking?
What I am saying is the core 4 failed, there is no great tragedy in losing them, we can even miss the playoffs, so what? We go from being eliminated May 1 to being eliminated April 14? Big deal.

We gave our talent nearly a decade and their performances basically got worse, do you forget that this is the same talent who lost to a 40 year old zamboni driver? In terms of trades I have no problem being slightly on the worse end on value and trying something new.

We gave them everything they wanted, they didn't perform, simple as.
Not only did they not perform, they humiliated the city over and over and over again.

Now they want us to back up the money truck? Give me a break. I don't think anyone would have one problem paying the core "market value" if they performed well in the playoffs, they haven't so it's no tragedy at all to create a more balanced team and try something new.

The pieces we will get for them are going to be solid af.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
What I am saying is the core 4 failed, there is no great tragedy in losing them, we can even miss the playoffs, so what? We go from being eliminated May 1 to being eliminated April 14? Big deal.

We gave our talent nearly a decade and their performances basically got worse, do you forget that this is the same talent who lost to a 40 year old zamboni driver? In terms of trades I have no problem being slightly on the worse end on value and trying something new.

We gave them everything they wanted, they didn't perform, simple as.
Not only did they not perform, they humiliated the city over and over and over again.

Now they want us to back up the money truck? Give me a break. I don't think anyone would have one problem paying the core "market value" if they performed well in the playoffs, they haven't so it's no tragedy at all to create a more balanced team and try something new.

The pieces we will get for them are going to be solid af.
So you support anything that happens now? I get you, I would likely be on the same boat if I was born with the curse (of being a Leafs fan).

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
So you support anything that happens now? I get you, I would likely be on the same boat if I was born with the curse (of being a Leafs fan).
Not anything obviously, the last thing I support is paying the big 3 some crazy amount. I support them taking a haircut (Matthews at 10, Marner at 9, Willie at 8), this will never happen with the big 3 so I am for putting them on the market and provided you are getting similar value trading them. I don't have any affinity left for the three of them;

Willie seems to have shown up more in the playoffs recently, but hardly enough
Mitch can definitely put it together and has shown flashes of what he is capable of
Auston is a big center that scored 60+ who plays awesome D

I think they just can't win together is all, maybe they can even eventually be THE guy on another team surrounded by harder workers, grittier players and more leadership. It just didn't work in Toronto and they 100% should not pay all of them, at the very least one ofthem needs to go.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Because Oilers fans like to live in denial. Like to convince themselves that Matthews is worthless and that no one wants him.
Look at that avatar. Oiler fans are living rent free over here!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad