OT - NO POLITICS August edition - The summer wind came blowin' in……

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com please DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
The pre-vacation/oh f*** I haven't planned and packed anxiety is hitting me hard today.

I have tomorrow off, the kids have another day of summer camp. Once they get home I have to change them and re-pack their travel backpacks. I have packed a ton of clothes and small items we need, but a lot of the clothing and food can't really be packed and I can't focus long enough to figure it out now.

The trouble is in the logistics. Tomorrow we drive to Delaware and stay the night in a hotel. Likely arriving around 1030pm. Kids will need snacks/dinner/clothing for this drive and the hotel stay. We get up Saturday morning, hotel breakfast, and drive 2 hours to DC to arrive between 12-2. We exit the car and won't see it again until Sunday afternoon. A few hours later on Saturday we board a train at 5ish and travel overnight to Florida. Kids will need bags/clothes/food/etc to get them from 2pm to the next afternoon. We get the car off the train and drive 45 minutes to our Orlando hotel, where we will finally have several hours to settle in, slow down, and prepare for the week ahead.

Different water park days Monday Wednesday Friday Saturday.
Disney days Tuesday Thursday.

God only knows what we will be eating for lunch/dinner during the week

I keep telling myself that as long as everybody is together, it will be fine. We forgot pajamas/drinks/sunscreen/whatever?...I suppose the worst case scenario is we just drive 5 minutes from the hotel and buy it.

But holy shit I'm feeling the willies today real bad. Some day they'll look back on it, hopefully fondly, and appreciate the planning that goes into these trips

Last edited:

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Nature wins over technology

1723747586685.png

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
As someone who has foot issues I can tell you it is definitely worth it health wise to pay more for shoes, boots etc. The fit is simply better as is the support for your feet and by extension the rest of your body.
Very true. Post surgery and removal of the boot, I've been shopping at the old man shoe store. It makes a big difference.

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

View attachment 901250
I was reading an article on him and learned that he wasn't interested in Hollywood Squares at first but took the job because it had been offered to Dan Rowan, who Marshall had a deep personal grudge towards and he wanted to keep him from getting the job.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
i was hoping to see a funnel on the way back to work from western mass. no luck. boring old rain and some thunder.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Taken from inside my car in Revere waiting for my mother's hair appointment to get done. I got the umbrella ready for her.

Very creepy sky. Torrential rain. Thunder. Lighting. Watch out for flooded roads, folks!

20240815_162953.jpg

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
reminder:

12 hours from the 1st nighttime balloon launch of the 1st Annual L-A Balloon Festival..... which rises from the ashes of the Great Falls Balloon Festival;

note for those arriving Saturday to the Twin Cities.... Some auxiliary roads toward New Auburn will be shut to traffic at 9:45 AM to prep the area for the Parade at 11 AM;

1st balloon launch cancelled, no lift-off (fog) will hold 2nd launch at 6 pm;

Last edited:

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
For those contemplating coming to Canada, it isn't easy getting permanent residency. My American DIL came to Canada to live two years ago. She is a software engineer and her company agreed to relocating her to Canada since they have an office in Toronto. The wedding was last Fall. She has lived in several countries while working and when the family traveled because her father was in the military. You have to prove where you lived, etc, over your lifetime. All is good, she can visit the Japanese consulate in Toronto and get that info, the rest can be done quite easily as well.

Then, there is China.....she lived in two towns (working) and they are demanding she go there physically with all her original documents to present to each police department for verification. They won't budge on this other than they will accept a lawyer as representation instead. She has a lawyer who specializes in this and the only way is to pay for an American lawyer to fly to China with her documents. Unbelievable! She doesn't want to step foot in China herself, being married to my daughter, who knows what they might do. She can't take that chance, so the cost will be at lest $10,000. China can still refuse to authorize the documents as well, then they can appeal to Canada if that happens. Wish us all luck!

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Everyone, including yourself seemingly, tries to convince you to do something other than cooking but dude, an observation from Random Internet Stranger (tm)?

It’s what you seem most passionate about. Maybe think about that.
Spot on.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
For those contemplating coming to Canada, it isn't easy getting permanent residency. My American DIL came to Canada to live two years ago. She is a software engineer and her company agreed to relocating her to Canada since they have an office in Toronto. The wedding was last Fall. She has lived in several countries while working and when the family traveled because her father was in the military. You have to prove where you lived, etc, over your lifetime. All is good, she can visit the Japanese consulate in Toronto and get that info, the rest can be done quite easily as well.

Then, there is China.....she lived in two towns (working) and they are demanding she go there physically with all her original documents to present to each police department for verification. They won't budge on this other than they will accept a lawyer as representation instead. She has a lawyer who specializes in this and the only way is to pay for an American lawyer to fly to China with her documents. Unbelievable! She doesn't want to step foot in China herself, being married to my daughter, who knows what they might do. She can't take that chance, so the cost will be at lest $10,000. China can still refuse to authorize the documents as well, then they can appeal to Canada if that happens. Wish us all luck!
Good luck!

Two summers ago I worked with a guy who’s the son of a former NHL player and he was telling me how tough it was to stay in Canada beyond a certain time limit… AND HE WAS BORN THERE!!!

I asked, “can’t you show them a Canadian birth certificate and don’t they have to let you in?” As it happens, being born up there doesn’t automatically make you a citizen. At least not in this guy’s case. Surprisingly, Canada has stringent immigration laws. I didn’t think they were so tough, but apparently, they are.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Good luck!

Two summers ago I worked with a guy who’s the son of a former NHL player and he was telling me how tough it was to stay in Canada beyond a certain time limit… AND HE WAS BORN THERE!!!

I asked, “can’t you show them a Canadian birth certificate and don’t they have to let you in?” As it happens, being born up there doesn’t automatically make you a citizen. At least not in this guy’s case. Surprisingly, Canada has stringent immigration laws. I didn’t think they were so tough, but apparently, they are.
It is easier if you are a UK citizen, of course. It is still harder than it used to be though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad