OT - NO POLITICS August edition - The summer wind came blowin' in……

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Nova Scotia for me.

Be sure to really check out somewhere before you move. PLAN. You don't want to be too far away from folks you care about.

I hate the heat so the South is not anywhere I would ever consider. There are other reasons as well, but we are not allowed to speak of them here (which I get).

Idk why my parents moved to Florida actually. I mean my moms family is here alot of the older ones.

I came here to be closer to them and because I thought my time in Vegas was over. Miss Vegas and California alot. I thought I would like it here…….I do not. My parents do not either. More expensive than they thought and because of the reasons we cannot speak of here.

I just dont like hurricanes or the culture. And its boring but I also havent done anything here.

I feel I am a west coast person so I may head back that way.

Have lived in 4 states

Massachusetts 1985-2001
California 2001-2017
Nevada 2017-2022
Florida 2022 -

Reactions: GordonHowe

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Idk why my parents moved to Florida actually. I mean my moms family is here alot of the older ones.

I came here to be closer to them and because I thought my time in Vegas was over. Miss Vegas and California alot. I thought I would like it here…….I do not. My parents do not either. More expensive than they thought and because of the reasons we cannot speak of here.

I just dont like hurricanes or the culture. And its boring but I also havent done anything here.

I feel I am a west coast person so I may head back that way.

Have lived in 4 states

Massachusetts 1985-2001
California 2001-2017
Nevada 2017-2022
Florida 2022 -
Just think it through both family wise and financially. Make a solid plan and stick to it.

You could not pay me to live in Florida for many reasons.

Moving is expensive.

California is expensive....and those fires....

Me I like the seasons. My daughter lives far away but comes home often. My two sisters live in MA. If my daughter had kids, I would think of moving nearer to her BUT she doesn't want kids. If I moved to Calif I would hardly ever see my sisters...and also there are my boys (the Bruins)

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Have an interview at Panda Express on the 20th. Youre probably thinking Panda Express? Eeeww. But its literally 5 minutes from my house, theyre paying 17-20, they have all sorts of benefits and I know when I go back to school in the spring it will be easy to change my schedule.

Outback should be calling me back soon too

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I used to watch Jerry Seinfeld on the Carson show.

I tuned into "The Seinfeld Chronicles"as a summer replacement in 1989 (they dropped the name because there was another program called 'The Marshall Chronicles" airing at the time).

I wonder if the guy in the crown is The Wiz,

I am relieved it was a metaphor, I am so glad you are okay.
Thank you. You're sweet.

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
Going to the cape for a week starting tomorrow, @Kate08 give me the food highlights!
If you like Mexican then try the outdoor seating area under the giant beech tree at Anejo in Hyannis.

Brax Landing in Harwichport. Nice outdoor seating on the water. Very good lobster roll and burgers are good.

If you go to Brax Landing then not too far from there in Chatham there is a great little pie shop called Marion’s Pie Shop.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I have been on a search of moving abroad for a while now. More musing than serious but it doesn't hurt to have a backup plan.

My general consensus is....

Though alot of countries have better social safety net than the USA (Europe, Canada, Australia), the housing costs are much, much more higher than earnings in these countries compared to the USA. Like same or more expensive than the USA but you make so much less. Yes you get some of it back by not paying healthcare but you are paying high taxes.

So we are sticking in New England for now. Best tradeoff of earnings, housing costs, quality of life. Plus MA and other Medicaid expanded states have good insurance fall backs should you get laid off.
Portugal/Spain are the most popular retirement destinations on online personal finance groups.

I have a share in vacation property in South America, though that area tends to be politically unstable enough to not put too many eggs in that basket in terms of retirement.

Ideally I'd have a place here and a place overseas to go back and forth to. But it depends on whether I have kids, health, etc.

Have an interview at Panda Express on the 20th. Youre probably thinking Panda Express? Eeeww. But its literally 5 minutes from my house, theyre paying 17-20, they have all sorts of benefits and I know when I go back to school in the spring it will be easy to change my schedule.

Beijing Beef is the best. They have good Kung Pao too. I've noticed that different locations serve you differently, there's one here that gives you a big scoop in your bowl and one that gives you noticably less - probably a penny pinching franchisee.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
If you like Mexican then try the outdoor seating area under the giant beech tree at Anejo in Hyannis.

Brax Landing in Harwichport. Nice outdoor seating on the water. Very good lobster roll and burgers are good.

If you go to Brax Landing then not too far from there in Chatham there is a great little pie shop called Marion’s Pie Shop.

I second Marion’s Pie Shop.

The greatest blueberry pie I have ever had in my life.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I am relieved it was a metaphor, I am so glad you are okay.
Thank you both. I'm relieved, too.✌️😊

If I may inquire, what are studying in school, and how far along are you?

Reactions: Ladyfan

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
It is zucchini season and I have baked two loaves and a dozen muffins so far. My daughter's garden produces so many, it is hard to keep up! These muffins are absolutely huge and delicious. One of her zucchinis makes a batch of these or the two loaves. Lots to share!

1723667373354.jpeg

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I must say, I do like banana bread.

My mom used to make a wonderful banana milkshake. Ripe, very ripe, like black bananas, vanilla ice cream in the blender. Nice and cold.Great for summer.

As summer comes to a close, you might also try gazpacho and/or vichyssoise.

Bon appetit regardless,

👩‍🍳🍜

Reactions: Gordoff

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
And heres how our day is going.

So, this morning get doorbell and knocking on the door. Wasn't going to answer but noticed a black suv parked.
Opened the door a detective from Smithfield RI looking for a Matthew.
'Does he live here?'.
I say not here now can I help you.
His car was identified as part of a Dispensary break in last night in RI and two other robberies.
Detective shows me a surveillance video on his phone. 3 people in hoodies backing thru store front window with Matts Kia,
I call Matt - hey was your car stolen? I put him on speaker to talk to detective.
Matt in shock. While on phone he goes outside and sure enough his car is gone.

Poor kid.

So he had to report to Quincy police and Insurance.
Now we wait to see if ever recovered and if so what condition.

Unbelievable.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

So, this morning get doorbell and knocking on the door. Wasn't going to answer but noticed a black suv parked.
'Does he live here?'.
His car was identified as part of a Dispensary break in last night in RI and two other robberies.
Detective shows me a surveillance video on his phone. 3 people in hoodies backing thru store front window with Matts Kia,
I call Matt - hey was your car stolen? I put him on speaker to talk to detective.

Poor kid.

Unbelievable.
So shocking. Such a drag.

I hope everything works out.

The other day at work, outside TD Garden, I was walking down the street toward Hub Hall.

Suddenly, a girl on an e-bike wearing a shield and helmet which obscured her face, cycled furiously toward me whilst being chased on foot by the e+bike's erstwhile "owner."

The thief blew past me, the e-bike laden with stolen booty.

The guy in hot pursuit finally gave up the ghost, and the assailant disappeared, doubtless enjoying a cynical chuckle at his expense.

And people ask me why I am a misanthrope.

I wish someone had caught that girl, and wrung her f*cking neck.

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA

'Does he live here?'.

Poor kid.

Unbelievable.
Yikes. So sorry to hear what happened to your son.

We never stop being parents. This must be awful to think about.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
So shocking. Such a drag.

I hope everything works out.

The other day at work, outside TD Garden, I was walking down the street toward Hub Hall.

Suddenly, a girl on an e-bike wearing a shield and helmet which obscured her face, cycled furiously toward me whilst being chased on foot by the e+bike's erstwhile "owner."

The thief blew past me, the e-bike laden with stolen booty.

The guy in hot pursuit finally gave up the ghost, and the assailant disappeared, doubtless enjoying a cynical chuckle at his expense.

And people ask me why I am a misanthrope.

I wish someone had caught that girl, and wrung her f*cking neck.

Yikes. So sorry to hear what happened to your son.

We never stop being parents. This must be awful to think about.

My sons car caught on surveillance. Bastards.

• Wow
Reactions: Gordoff and Ladyfan

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

'Does he live here?'.

Poor kid.

Unbelievable.
yikes. That sucks!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad