OT - NO POLITICS August edition - The summer wind came blowin' in……

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Everyone, including yourself seemingly, tries to convince you to do something other than cooking but dude, an observation from Random Internet Stranger (tm)?

It’s what you seem most passionate about. Maybe think about that.

My mom seems to think going to school and getting skills and certifications is the route

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
My mom seems to think going to school and getting skills and certifications is the route
Try and find something you might be good at and enjoy. You work for many years and want to do something you don't hate.

Also, sometimes you need to get into a profession at the bottom of the ladder. Don't be afraid to do that as if you do a good job you can move up and some companies will help ($$) with any training or school.

Think hard about it and stick with a plan.

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Try and find something you might be good at and enjoy. You work for many years and want to do something you don't hate.

Also, sometimes you need to get into a profession at the bottom of the ladder. Don't be afraid to do that as if you do a good job you can move up and some companies will help ($$) with any training or school.

Think hard about it and stick with a plan.

The technical college out here has many training and placement programs that I will be looking into

Thing is idk what I am passionate about. Just like working and making money. Do want to open a restaurant when im much older

Dont know tho

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
The technical college out here has many training and placement programs that I will be looking into

Thing is idk what I am passionate about. Just like working and making money. Do want to open a restaurant when im much older

Dont know tho
Some schools have advisers that can help you figure out what courses to try. Look into it!

Reactions: Troublesome 85

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Good luck!

Two summers ago I worked with a guy who’s the son of a former NHL player and he was telling me how tough it was to stay in Canada beyond a certain time limit… AND HE WAS BORN THERE!!!

I asked, “can’t you show them a Canadian birth certificate and don’t they have to let you in?” As it happens, being born up there doesn’t automatically make you a citizen. At least not in this guy’s case. Surprisingly, Canada has stringent immigration laws. I didn’t think they were so tough, but apparently, they are.
How on earth does being born there not make you automatically a citizen? That's nuts

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
@Troublesome 85 you seem to like being in a kitchen, which is great. It's a solid profession. You need to adjust your expectations, though; kitchens (and hospitality in general) are usually pretty wild west. Not a lot of people who are well trained as managers, lots of people coming and going. It's generally professionally immature, which isn't meant to sound harsh, it just is what it is. If you love it, adjust your expectations and go for it. You can't leave a job every time something ticks you off.

Every job/profession has tradeoffs, and you need to decide which ones you're willing to make.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
We had no idea about this. The detectives told us. If you have a Kia or Hyundai be aware.

I've heard some insurers won't even insure them now.

I drove a rental Hyundai Sonata while my car was being fixed earlier this year. I hated it.

Apparently there is also an issue with paint peeling off them.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I've heard some insurers won't even insure them now.

I drove a rental Hyundai Sonata while my car was being fixed earlier this year. I hated it.

Apparently there is also an issue with paint peeling off them.
Yikes.

So far, I love my new car. It was a year old in Feb. If I still like it in 10 years it is a good car.

It will probably be my last one so it needs to hold up.

Reactions: Ludwig Fell Down

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
How on earth does being born there not make you automatically a citizen? That's nuts
All I can say here is that many countries are profoundly different than the United States in many ways. Many laws and customs here are quite different from what you’ll find elsewhere. Even in Canada.

Reactions: BMC

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Friday (yes, I checked, it is Friday) questions:

1) If someone gave you a million dollars to donate, etc., what would you do with it? Which organization would you choose or would you divide it up? Which charities are close to your heart?

2) You can have one type of salty snack for the rest of your life - what would it be? Chips, pretzels, etc., which brand and flavour?

3) What do you wish you had done when you were younger, or wish you had not done?

4) Have you ever been lost, I mean really lost to the point you were worried?

5) Are you an only child, oldest, youngest, middle? Did you or do you have sibling rivalries?

Johnny Upton

Jul 5, 2003
Boston

1) If someone gave you a million dollars to donate, etc., what would you do with it? Which organization would you choose or would you divide it up? Which charities are close to your heart?

2) You can have one type of salty snack for the rest of your life - what would it be? Chips, pretzels, etc., which brand and flavour?

3) What do you wish you had done when you were younger, or wish you had not done?

5) Are you an only child, oldest, youngest, middle? Did you or do you have sibling rivalries?
1) I’d donate it to Dana Farber, they treated my dad when he was very sick with cancer and treated him with the highest levels of dignity in his final days.

2) Utz Extra Dark Sourdough pretzels - incredible!

3) I wish I knew more about financial smarts when I was younger. I got my first credit card at 18 and it took me a long time to learn that credit cards aren’t free money.

4) I have a vague memory of being lost in a department store when I was young, maybe 4 years old or so. Being lost isn’t a fun feeling at all.

5) I’m the 3rd of 4 boys, we’re all big dudes and our grocery bill often exceeded $250 a week (and this was in the early 1990s) My parents are saints for having put up with us!

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

First I would pay off my kid’s student loan. Then I would make some donations to our favorite animal shelter, MS walk, Breast Cancer Walk. ( we do anyway so just bigger)
Buy more toys for Everett Mikes annual drive too.

Chips. Runner up salted cashews.

Wish I had finished college. Just wasnt to be for a variety of reasons.

Yes, years ago gps sent us up what turned out to be a fire road in White Mountains. Became one car width wide and no room to turn around due to danger of shoulder. Kept going. Up, up and up. When coming down so steep brakes were smoking. Luckily finally intersected eventually with a real street. Scared the hell outta us.

Im the oldest. Have 3 younger sisters.
The youngest of them I severed relationship with when my Mom passed in 2020.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

1. I would have to check any charity out before I gave them $$. Some give most to the guys at the top and not to what you actually think the money SHOULD go to. Several animal rescues would be at the top of my list

2. popcorn with butter and just a small amount of salt.

3. I wish I had started saving more $. Actually, I worked for a company for 24 years (Wang Labs) and the retirement was tied up with their stock. They went bankrupt and I lost 300k. I was a single Mom and it hurt bad.

4. Not really. I was a navigator in my previous life.

5. middle of 3 girls (@GahdenRinkRat is the youngest).

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

I’d probably get a skatepark started where I grew up. I assume it would take around 50k. From there, i have no idea on the rest.
I’m boring. Plain ass original Lays. Maybe cheddar goldfish.
Bought into real estate as soon as possible and sit on it until right about now
Negative. All who wander are not lost

Oldest of 3 boys. My youngest brother went full stoner vagabond after he graduated high school and pissed off a lot of family and friends. I said some not so great things to him after he wrecked one of my cars and never got to apologize for it. It will ruin me for the rest of my life.

Reactions: BMC and caz16

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010

1) I'd split it between various women's rights, domestic violence support, and veteran-related charities.

2) Jax or some other cheese curl.

3) Took school more seriously. Although I don't think 18 year olds are mature enough to really understand the financial impact of going to college, nor do I think they're mature enough to choose a major that they'll spend the rest of their life in. I wish the norm for college was to get some real world work experience before deciding to go.

4) Physically lost? No. I have a TERRIBLE sense of direction and couldn't navigate my way out of a paper bag, but am married to an Eagle Scout so he keeps me on the right path.

5) My parents are divorced and I'm their only. I have 3 half-siblings, but I didn't grow up in the same house as them so I consider myself an only.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

1. Here are my go-to charities every year. All of them have low admin fees and I have a personal connection to......Catholic Charities, Habitat for Humanity, UNICEF, National Search Dog Foundation, Alzheimer's Association, Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society, American Heart Association.

2. Dot's Pretzels. Original flavor.

3. I have no regrets, so can't answer this one. However I DID try to enlist in the Marine Corps when I was 17. Since I was still a minor, I needed a parent to sign the enlistment papers. My mom wouldn't sign the paperwork because she wanted me to at least do a year of college. I was pissed at the time, but in the long run, it worked out great and she reminds me of that every chance she gets.

4. Got lost at an MLB game when I was 8yrs old. Went to the bathroom by myself and couldn't remember how to get back to my seat. Went missing for the last 3 innings and my Dad found me after the game. I randomly saw him in the concourse in the middle of a crowd. Good thing he was 6'5".

5. I have a brother, 2 years younger. He's my best friend, although we had our share of scraps growing up. Usually due to sports, since we were both very competitive.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

Same ones I donate to now - The Neely House and Tunnel to Towers. Both are well known for giving almost 100% to the charity recipients themselves.

Salted Mixed Nuts, the BJ's brand. No peanuts!

No real regrets. There are probably some relationships I should've handled better, but I was young.

Worried? No. I did get lost in The Bronx one time, but I knew enough to offer a homeless person a 10 spot for directions. Nowadays, GPS gets me out of anything I get myself into (and I'm not driving anywhere near or even similar to The Bronx).

One of 7, middle boy of 3. I don't have any sibling rivalries, but they are rampant in others. That's all I'm going to say.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad