OT - NO POLITICS August edition - The summer wind came blowin' in……

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Friday (yes, I checked, it is Friday) questions:

1) If someone gave you a million dollars to donate, etc., what would you do with it? Which organization would you choose or would you divide it up? Which charities are close to your heart?

2) You can have one type of salty snack for the rest of your life - what would it be? Chips, pretzels, etc., which brand and flavour?

3) What do you wish you had done when you were younger, or wish you had not done?

4) Have you ever been lost, I mean really lost to the point you were worried?

5) Are you an only child, oldest, youngest, middle? Did you or do you have sibling rivalries?
1. Half to Animal rescue charities, half to the Church
2. Doritos come to mind as the best savory snack
3. Depends on how deep we want to get here. But big picture-wise I would've changed career fields much earlier and focused more on practical education than theoretical.
4. In 8th grade we did a class trip to Montreal and they brought us to some shopping center, I just remember it having underground corridors connecting parts of the mall. We were supposed to go in a buddy system to not get lost but we had an odd number so there were three of us in our group and I wanted to look at one store while the other two wanted to look at another so we got separated, and somehow I just couldn't find my way back and the bus was supposed to leave soon, I was actually worried, and despite it being a French class trip I barely knew any French, so asking for help with the employees was futile, but eventually some guy heard and helped me back. Somehow I ended up on the other side of the block.
5. Youngest of two, my brother is 4 years older than me, which is enough distance that after elementary school we had different circles and mainly did our own thing. Some conflicts over TV use or whatever, but no major issues.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
For #5, this was the biggest rivalry between me and my younger brother

7ow7wi.jpg

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

1) If someone gave you a million dollars to donate, etc., what would you do with it? Which organization would you choose or would you divide it up? Which charities are close to your heart?

2) You can have one type of salty snack for the rest of your life - what would it be? Chips, pretzels, etc., which brand and flavour?

3) What do you wish you had done when you were younger, or wish you had not done?

5) Are you an only child, oldest, youngest, middle? Did you or do you have sibling rivalries?

1 Donate to local cat rescues
2 Doritos nacho cheese
3 Taken a different career path
4 No
5 I am a fraternal twin & 19 minutes older than my sister. You can’t find two siblings more dissimilar than us and there was a lot of rivalry when we were younger. It’s gotten better as we have grown older.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario

1) I would donate to Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (my nephew has it), service animal training, ALS and save some for things like toy drives, food banks, and local people who need help.

2) Lay's BBQ chips.

3) I wish I had post secondary education, my circumstances prevented me from going.

4) No, thankfully.

5) I am the youngest, I have two older brothers. The rivalry was between the brother closest in age to me, we constantly fought about things but I was favoured, being the only girl and the youngest, I took full advantage and feel guilty about it at times....lol We are good friends now and laugh about it.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I have been on 4 cruises.

1. Western Caribbean 10 day on Celebrity cruise line.
2. Eastern Caribbean 10 day on Princess
3. Greek Island cruise starting in Venice 12 day on Royal Caribbean.
4. Alaska with 3-day pre cruise (total 10 day) on Celebrity.

Celebrity was my favorite cruise line and Alaska my favorite cruise.

I will soon be on my 14th "cruise" on the Schooner Heritage off the Maine coast. It is VERY different from the big cruises.

Reactions: Gordoff

Ludwig Fell Down

Feb 19, 2005
South Shore, MA
Happy Friday! Here goes:

1) Organizations that provide housing and services to adults with disabilities.

2) That's an easy one. Nacho chips.

3) Not sure. My life has had its share of twists and turns, but nothing major that I wish I had done. When I was in law school I had a chance to go to Russia on winter break one year. I couldn't afford not to work so couldn't take the trip. I look back once in awhile and say that I should have figured out a way to go. But I was scraping nickels together to pay tuition, rent and food so there is no way it could have happened.

In the pre-cell phone days I went for a run in woods not too far from our house. I got completely lost. I wasn't too far from civilization, but I was gone for a few hours and it was stressful. I finally found my bearings and I was about 4 miles away from where I thought I'd be. The missus was terrified, rightfully so.

Sort of the youngest. When I was 5, my little brother died at age 3. I have only a handful of memories of him and I grew up essentially as the youngest. I had a bad temper and could be a brat, so I drove my older brother and sister crazy. We all get along fine now, so no harm done :)

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I broke my skates from high school this AM at pickup hockey. First thought was I'd buy new ones at the sweet Bauer store in Burlington that has a rink to try them out but it looks like its closed/relocateing and I'm not going to make the decision to either pay through the nose for higher end ones or if the lower end are ok. But regardless the insane cost of new skates is so high that I wnated the rink to try them no risk no new skates.

So my thoughts now are to buy some game used Bruins skates. I think McAvoys will fit well but are $1000. Tomas Noseks might be a little better 1/2 down and are cheaper. Anyone think they negotiate and will give a discount? Going in next week for the WNBA game.
If you are planning to buy "game worn" skates @ the Bruins Pro Shop, they are not on display at present.

That stuff won't be out until the season begins.

In the meantime, you might find player skates @ the online Pro Shop site.

Good luck,
⛸️

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
taking a few weeks off from work, it`s been nothing but stress/anxiety inducing since my performance review, boss doesn`t even look me in the eye or have an adult conversation, my HR colleagues the same.

Mental health suffering so I got in touch with a therapist and start things up Monday, just feeling off but looking forward to getting healthier. No job is worth sacrificing mental health

Why is it that managers are often terrible at managing others? 😕

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I had my high school skates into my 30s and then one of them broke. I've been through more pairs than I'd like to count. I always buy cheaper skates and bake them. After my foot surgery my foot is just completely uncomfortable so I'm thinking of breaking down and buying a better pair with a wider boot. I just have a hard time justifying spending the dough. I can afford it, but my game is marginal at best and it kills me to spend alot on hockey equipment for myself.
You bake your new skates?

Trust they are tasty.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
So, my sons stolen car now caught in surveillance tape at break ins in Smithfield RI, Quincy Ma, Sutton Ma, and Plaistow NH.
This is nuts.
In NH they left behind a tire iron. Hoping to get prints.
How did they manage to steal it in the first place? Do they simply break the window and cross the wires, as they say?

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
If you are planning to buy "game worn" skates @ the Bruins Pro Shop, they are not on display at present.

That stuff won't be out until the season begins.

In the meantime, you might find player skates @ the online Pro Shop site.

Good luck,
⛸️
I saw a nice model from a couple years ago 50% off MSRP at Zwickers so went and got them this morning. Hockey skates aren’t really the kind of thing to purchase online need them to bake and make a couple punches anyways but on the same token no one can pay full whack either.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Why is it that managers are often terrible at managing others? 😕
The corporate world has the tendency to promote from within and doesn't recognize that administrative and managerial positions require two different skill sets.

Like if the IT Manager job comes open, they might give it to the best performing employee on the IT team. But being a wizard at solving IT issues and overseeing a group of employees are two different things. You have to develop people management skills. You're better off with an IT manager who doesn't know how to use excel but can delegate tasks efficiently and manage department morale by solving interpersonal problems than with one who is an absolute tech genius but can't get along with other people, for example.

I've read that a lot of companies are now introducing more non-managerial career advancement paths (i.e. Sr. Admin positions) for those who are great at their tasks but aren't cut out for overseeing other employees.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
Nature wins over technology

View attachment 901241
And don't ever forget it,

I saw a nice model from a couple years ago 50% off MSRP at Zwickers so went and got them this morning. Hockey skates aren’t really the kind of thing to purchase online need them to bake and make a couple punches anyways but on the same token no one can pay full whack either.
What, are you a rapper or something? Speak American.

• Haha
Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Not the best pic, I don't have a fancy camera, but seeing this Indigo Bunting today made me very happy. On a side note, the hummers have been scarce this summer, our feeder barely moved. In the last week, they are back and sucking so much nectar up....what is happening? Early departure? Major hurricanes coming?

1723841281337.jpeg

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
For those that are local, this weekend is Cornfest at Wilson’s Farm in Lexington.

Im officially in a cadence of weekly trips there for fresh corn through the end of the summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad