OT - NO POLITICS August edition - The summer wind came blowin' in……

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Yeah, how does all that work, I wonder.

The thieves should be required to buy him a new car.

Not that that would ever happen.

Its a long process.
If not recovered in 30 days it will be considered a loss and insurance will begin the payoff period. - they said additional 2 weeks after the 30 days. In mean time they cover $30/day towards car rental up to 30 days.

If recovered in under 30 days then it gets more complicated. First its evidence in multiple crimes over state lines. Impounding can be God knows how long.
If released then insurance adjuster will look at it and make an estimate for repairs or total it.

It sucks.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
We had no idea about this. The detectives told us. If you have a Kia or Hyundai be aware.

The other thing about Hybrid(?) and/or full electric KIA's and Hyundai's is that owners are being told to NOT park them in indoor garages and structures because the batteries (even though the car is off and parked) have been known to overheat and cause an extremely hot, hard to extinguish fire.

Not sure if it's full electric only or if it includes hybrids but they're telling owners to wait to get a recall before they park in a garage.

bruinsfan1968

Make America United Again! Save our Democracy!
May 6, 2019
The other thing about Hybrid(?) and/or full electric KIA's and Hyundai's is that owners are being told to NOT park them in indoor garages and structures because the batteries (even though the car is off and parked) have been known to overheat and cause an extremely hot, hard to extinguish fire.

Not sure if it's full electric only or if it includes hybrids but they're telling owners to wait to get a recall before they park in a garage.
That is total nonsense!

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I saw a nice model from a couple years ago 50% off MSRP at Zwickers so went and got them this morning. Hockey skates aren’t really the kind of thing to purchase online need them to bake and make a couple punches anyways but on the same token no one can pay full whack either.
When I played I used to trade/buy equipment there... I'm surprised that they're still in business. I was told that in the '60s they were the only ones trusted to sharpen the Bruins skates. Not sure if it was hearsay.

That is total nonsense!
NO it isn't. Get Educated.

6 months after recalling 3.4 million vehicles over fire risk, Kia, Hyundai struggle to make repairs

Hyundai and Kia have issued separate recalls for millions of vehicles due to fire risks. Hyundai recalled 82,000 electric vehicles in 2021 due to a lithium-ion battery defect that could cause spontaneous fires while parked. In September 2023, Hyundai and Kia issued a joint recall for 3.4 million vehicles in the US, warning that they could catch fire even with the engine off. The cause of this recall is a manufacturing issue with the transmission oil pump.

Until the recalled vehicles are repaired, Hyundai and Kia recommend parking them outside and away from buildings and homes. The recalled Hyundai models include: 2023-2024 Palisade SUVs, 2023 Tucson SUVs, 2023 Sonata sedans, 2023 Elantra sedans, and 2023 Kona SUVs (excluding Kona Electric).

The recalled Kia models include: 2023 Soul hatchbacks, 2023 Sportage SUVs, and 2023-2024 Seltos SUVs.

Last edited:

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
That is total nonsense!
Based on?

Look up how those batteries endure in the cold as well

When I played I used to trade/buy equipment there... I'm surprised that they're still in business. I was told that in the '60s they were the only ones trusted to sharpen the Bruins skates. Not sure if it was hearsay.

NO it isn't. Get Educated.

6 months after recalling 3.4 million vehicles over fire risk, Kia, Hyundai struggle to make repairs

Hyundai and Kia have issued separate recalls for millions of vehicles due to fire risks. Hyundai recalled 82,000 electric vehicles in 2021 due to a lithium-ion battery defect that could cause spontaneous fires while parked. In September 2023, Hyundai and Kia issued a joint recall for 3.4 million vehicles in the US, warning that they could catch fire even with the engine off. The cause of this recall is a manufacturing issue with the transmission oil pump.

Until the recalled vehicles are repaired, Hyundai and Kia recommend parking them outside and away from buildings and homes. The recalled Hyundai models include: 2023-2024 Palisade SUVs, 2023 Tucson SUVs, 2023 Sonata sedans, 2023 Elantra sedans, and 2023 Kona SUVs (excluding Kona Electric).

The recalled Kia models include: 2023 Soul hatchbacks, 2023 Sportage SUVs, and 2023-2024 Seltos SUVs.
How about that spontaneous combustion?

Johnny Upton

Jul 5, 2003
Boston

My brother and a few of my friends are all firefighters and they’ll all tell you the same thing: fighting hybrid/electric vehicle fires is a total PITA. They’re a much different animal and can be very dangerous due to the extreme temps that the batteries can reach.

MustardStew

Lurking Lurker
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2003
Hillsborough, NC
Friday (yes, I checked, it is Friday) questions:

1) If someone gave you a million dollars to donate, etc., what would you do with it? Which organization would you choose or would you divide it up? Which charities are close to your heart?

2) You can have one type of salty snack for the rest of your life - what would it be? Chips, pretzels, etc., which brand and flavour?

3) What do you wish you had done when you were younger, or wish you had not done?

4) Have you ever been lost, I mean really lost to the point you were worried?

5) Are you an only child, oldest, youngest, middle? Did you or do you have sibling rivalries?
Dang, it IS Frday haha!

I enjoy y'all's answers/learning a bit more about y'all, so I figure I should share myself. Esp as a have a concrete answer for #1 :naughty:

1. Feeding America. It's a charity that I've donated to for a while, esp. as there's a running/hiking component/community. My workplace (co-op grocery) does a lot to provide feed to local needy persions/families, so that's a charitable cause that's close to me, and this is a national extension. I guess a second would be protecting public lands.

2. Snyder's cheddar cheese pretzel pieces

3. Not frittered away my money on stupid things, cause at 50 I need it to buy me some time!

4. Honestly, no. As a cartography/GIS graduate, I guess it's my business not to be haha. Getting lost outdoors is awesome, though

5. I'm the oldest of 5 boys with 3 half-brothers... no real sibling rivalries, though my real mother sure played favorites. But then I'd say that, as the oldest haha!

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Its super old school and I had zero cell coverage the hour I was in there but not surprising how its tucked into a hill right next to the road. Didn't see a single thing in there that wasn't hockey which is impressive to have been around for almost 100 years and never branched out.

Reactions: Gordoff

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
4. Honestly, no. As a cartography/GIS graduate, I guess it's my business not to be haha. Getting lost outdoors is awesome, though
My dad was a cartographer with the DoD for 37 years. I love hearing about others in the profession or with an interest in cartography even though I know pretty much nothing about it lol.

I always said my dad was GPS before there was GPS.

Reactions: MustardStew

MustardStew

Lurking Lurker
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2003
Hillsborough, NC
Its super old school and I had zero cell coverage the hour I was in there but not surprising how its tucked into a hill right next to the road. Didn't see a single thing in there that wasn't hockey which is impressive to have been around for almost 100 years and never branched out.
I got my degree in 2000, just as it was becoming a lot of data entry/programming :cry:,. I haven't really kept up in like 15 years, but I bet the tools are a lot better/easier to use, and allow for better presentation...
I imagine what your dad was doing is along the lines of what I wanted to do - make maps haha

Reactions: Gordoff

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Friday (yes, I checked, it is Friday) questions:

1) If someone gave you a million dollars to donate, etc., what would you do with it? Which organization would you choose or would you divide it up? Which charities are close to your heart?

2) You can have one type of salty snack for the rest of your life - what would it be? Chips, pretzels, etc., which brand and flavour?

3) What do you wish you had done when you were younger, or wish you had not done?

5) Are you an only child, oldest, youngest, middle? Did you or do you have sibling rivalries?

I don't have answers to all the questions, but just on the snacks one - first time I went to New England, I found and fell in junk food love with Cape Cod potato chips. As far as chips go, they're amazing. Is that just me, or do locals rave over them too?

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I don't have answers to all the questions, but just on the snacks one - first time I went to New England, I found and fell in junk food love with Cape Cod potato chips. As far as chips go, they're amazing. Is that just me, or do locals rave over them too?
We get them in Canada too, they are very good. My favourite kettle chip is Miss Vickie's though.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
A little late, but why not?

The Epilepsy Foundation. Many here who know me also know that my daughter Maddie is challenged with seizures every day. This is a battle too many families we've met through our journey know all too well. Anything I could do to help is what I'd do.

Doritos. I hated them as a kid but as an adult it's like crack for me. I am obsessed.

I wish I had stuck with baseball longer. I played but never seriously and once hockey started being available year round, I stopped playing. After watching my daughter play softball, I have a much deeper appreciation for the sport than I did as a kid.

I'm old and was driving before GPS and cell phones. Of course I have and of course I was. Many times over the course of my life.

Dreaded middle child here. My two sisters are 4 and 3 years older and my brother is 3 years younger exactly. Kid even stole my birthday. My closest in age sister had a rivalry with me, but I didn't have one with her. She still does to this day. It's very weird.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I got my degree in 2000, just as it was becoming a lot of data entry/programming :cry:,. I haven't really kept up in like 15 years, but I bet the tools are a lot better/easier to use, and allow for better presentation...
I imagine what your dad was doing is along the lines of what I wanted to do - make maps haha
A sample of something he worked on

20240817_093350.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad