Atlantic Standings Predictions Thread

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Last in the division pretty easily.
Ottawa finished 2pts ahead of MTL last year while MTL been again one of the most injured team in the league.

I think Ottawa is going to be last in the division.

Florida
Toronto
Boston
Buffalo
TB
Detroit
MTL
Ottawa

Reactions: Laus723

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Toronto
Florida
Boston
Tampa
Ottawa
Detroit
Buffalo
Montreal.

The top 4 are very close but I legitimately believe this is the year Toronto wins the Atlantic because I LOVE the additions to their defense, I think the coaching staff will make a MAJOR difference.

2, 3 and 4 are interchangeable

I think a healthy Ottawa team is very close but not quite, I wouldn't be totally shocked if they got the last wildcard spot but not quite.

I think Detroit and Buffalo took steps back, and Montreal did nothing their management was incredibly lazy y, they did not do their job.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Ottawa finished 2pts ahead of MTL last year while MTL been again one of the most injured team in the league.

Florida
Toronto
Boston
Buffalo
TB
Detroit
MTL
Ottawa

Yes and Ottawa got Ullmark and Perron and Jensen, I would not have traded Chychrun for Jensen but Jensen is a solid D man.

Ottawa did things to get better Montreal did nothing

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Yes and Ottawa got Ullmark and Perron and Jensen, I would not have traded Chychrun for Jensen but Jensen is a solid D man.

Ottawa did things to get better Montreal did nothing
Jensen is a 3rd pairing defenceman.. Chychrun is miles ahead.

Perron is a 3rd liner now and will be replacing Kubalik production and yes Ullmark is an upgrade on korpisalo but behind that defence wait and watch his number next year.

MTL will be battling Ottawa for that spot in the division like I said last year.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Perron is a 3rd liner now and will be replacing Kubalik production and yes Ullmark is an upgrade on korpisalo but behind that defence wait and watch his number next year.

MTL will be battling Ottawa for that spot in the division like I said last year.

I mean if you read the post you qouted I literally said I would not have traded Chychrun for Jensen, I know Washington got the better end of that deal.

But even with that I still think Ottawa took a step forward overall with the additions of Ullmark and Perron.

They do need to get Ullmark signed though.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I know the balance of power will shift, of course it will, and I havel said many times that I feel like Tampa is in the very early stages of decline but It's going to take 3 years, and if Geekie and Moser develop it could take a little longer.

But regardless they are in the early stages and they would pull another Brayden point out of the draft to really stop it.

But 3 years from now that's not 24-25

That's 2027
Decline doesn't need to be linear, they could have an off year, rebound for 1-2 seasons, decline again, etc.
It's hard to say what losing Stamkos does to that lockerroom for example. Is their defense good enough to survive if Hedman or McDonagh get hurt or decline? Etc.
Again I'd probably not predict that they fall out of the playoffs this coming season, but I disagree with the notion that there's no chance it happens.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Toronto
Florida
Boston
Tampa
Ottawa
Detroit
Buffalo
Montreal.

The top 4 are very close but I legitimately believe this is the year Toronto wins the Atlantic because I LOVE the additions to their defense, I think the coaching staff will make a MAJOR difference.

2, 3 and 4 are interchangeable

I think a healthy Ottawa team is very close but not quite, I wouldn't be totally shocked if they got the last wildcard spot but not quite.

I think Detroit and Buffalo took steps back, and Montreal did nothing their management was incredibly lazy y, they did not do their job.
Rinse repeat year after year. 'No heart, no team play, same expensive core 4, poo goalies and poo D'. Fools gold. The team continues to get older and slower. I can see a team like Buffalo Detroit Montreal And Ottawa surpassing the leafs.

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Rinse repeat year after year. 'No heart, no team play, same expensive core 4, poo goalies and poo D'. Fools gold. The team continues to get older and slower. I can see a team like Buffalo Detroit Montreal And Ottawa surpassing the leafs.

You can see all 4 surpassing the Leafs?

So what you are actually predicting is that Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, Rielly and Knies will all suffer season and/or career ending injury.

Because that's what it would for that to happen this season

Evergreen

1. Panthers
2. Lightning
3. Leafs
4. Bruins
5. Senators
6. Red Wings
7. Sabres
8. Habs

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Wrong
You realize last year Ottawa had a better xGA/60 than Boston. Ullmark will be fine.
Stat shows just how bad Ottawa goaltending was last year.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
You can see all 4 surpassing the Leafs?

So what you are actually predicting is that Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares, Rielly and Knies will all suffer season and/or career ending injury.

Because that's what it would for that to happen this season
Would the leafs win a round against any of those teams if they met in the first round? Would you bet money on the leafs? (be honnest).

There's no doubt that Toronto is a good regular season team though , plus Marner is gonna go crazy so he can get paid , exciting times in leafs land no?!

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Would the leafs win a round against any of those teams if they met in the first round? Would you bet money on the leafs? (be honnest).

There's no doubt that Toronto is a good regular season team though , plus Marner is gonna go crazy so he can get paid , exciting times in leafs land no?!

Leafs would be stupid to sign for huge money. But Tre is stupid, nothing can fix that. Nothing exciting happening in Leafs land.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
If Ottawa finishes that poorly like so many guess are showing then Tkachuk is asking for a trade guaranteed

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Against Montreal, Buffalo, Detroit or Ottawa?

I'd bet on the Leafs against all those teams, particularly Detroit because none of Husso, Talbot, Lyon or Campbell scare me.

ESPECIALLY not Campbell, I know what that dude is all about he's as mentally weak as Samsonov which is saying A LOT.

I'd be most worried about Ottawa because unlike the rest of the teams goalies, Ullmark can get hot and steal a series.

Ullmark is a legitimate #1 goalie which makes Ottawa the most dangerous

Reactions: LiseL

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Florida
Toronto
Boston
Buffalo
TB
Detroit
MTL
Ottawa
Ottawa lost more man games to injury. Ottawa had league worst goaltending and added Ullmark and got rid of the worst goalie in the NHL. Montreal had unsustainable incredible goaltending and still finished behind them. Every meteic says they overachieved while Ottawa underachieved. You're absolutely dreaming if you think Montreal is anything but last in the division.

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
Y
Ottawa lost more man games to injury. Ottawa had league worst goaltending and added Ullmark and got rid of the worst goalie in the NHL. Montreal had unsustainable incredible goaltending and still finished behind them. Every meteic says they overachieved while Ottawa underachieved. You're absolutely dreaming if you think Montreal is anything but last in the division.
You're going to spend all this season posting on how the Habs are over rated

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
I am a Habs fan and I agree with this ceteris paribus.

Several things can’t really be measured though, how much older players will decline (e.g. Hedman, McDonagh, Tavares, Marchand…) and how much Habs young players will develop / what an impact healthy Dach, Newhook, CC (who was recovering from a shoulder surgery) will have in comparison to other younger players (DET, BUF, OTT in particular but also Geekie s impact in TBL).

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Y
You're going to spend all this season posting on how the Habs are over rated
Highly doubtful I am capable of being objective when I watch, you guys should try it. I know what Ottawa is, not a very good team but still much better than montreal. Montreal is in the middle of a rebuild, they are doing it right, why is this so hard to understand for Habs fans... Theyre in a stacked division, teams with no expectations and pressure win games but not enough to put them into a position to threaten for a playoff spot. I wish Ottawa had as competent management when they were rebuilding, but alas we had Melnyk and Dorion. Never had a chance now were mired in mediocrity.

Reactions: LiseL

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Wrong
You realize last year Ottawa had a better xGA/60 than Boston. Ullmark will be fine.
Stat shows just how bad Ottawa goaltending was last year.

I would take that with a grain of salt, of course. xGA is based on shot location/type data but doesn't really account for the defensive coverage. A shot where the goalie can be prepared and squared vs one where defensive coverage has broken down and the shooter has options is very different even if its from the same location.

I don't think the Bruins were worse defensively than the Sens last year.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Highly doubtful I am capable of being objective when I watch, you guys should try it. I know what Ottawa is, not a very good team but still much better than montreal. Montreal is in the middle of a rebuild, they are doing it right, why is this so hard to understand for Habs fans... Theyre in a stacked division, teams with no expectations and pressure win games but not enough to put them into a position to threaten for a playoff spot. I wish Ottawa had as competent management when they were rebuilding, but alas we had Melnyk and Dorion. Never had a chance now were mired in mediocrity.

I think your boys took some big steps but you NEED to get Ullmark signed

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I would take that with a grain of salt, of course. xGA is based on shot location/type data but doesn't really account for the defensive coverage. A shot where the goalie can be prepared and squared vs one where defensive coverage has broken down and the shooter has options is very different even if its from the same location.

I don't think the Bruins were worse defensively than the Sens last year.
GSAx about a difference of 35 between Korpisalo and Ullmark, and about 30 difference Korpisalo to Montebault.
Should make a big difference, in close games. Sens finish ahead of the habs.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
GSAx about a difference of 35 between Korpisalo and Ullmark, and about 30 difference Korpisalo to Montebault.
Should make a big difference, in close games. Sens finish ahead of the habs.

Same problem with that stat, too. The goalie stats suck.

I agree with what you are saying, just think the expected goalie stats aren't the "end of conversation" types of evidence given their major faults.

Reactions: Weltschmerz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad