Atlantic Standings Predictions Thread

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
We've only seen a team make the finals three times in a row once since the 80s. That was the lightning during the covid years.

I believe the lightning were the best team assembled in thr cap era, though. I can certainly see Florida having some hiccups over the course of a long season. It's just alot of hockey accumulation.
Chance for Florida to reach finals is small, chance they will be top 3 in division is high. It would have to be severe goaltending problem and several injuries for them to get dropped outside playoffs line.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Chance for Florida to reach finals is small, chance they will be top 3 in division is high. It would have to be severe goaltending problem and several injuries for them to get dropped outside playoffs line.
Forsling injury could be tough considering the hit the D core took in the offseason. But they are too good of a team to fall out of the top 3 even without him.

Think this is Toronto's best chance they need to make the best of it.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Jensen is a 3rd pairing defenceman.. Chychrun is miles ahead.

Perron is a 3rd liner now and will be replacing Kubalik production and yes Ullmark is an upgrade on korpisalo but behind that defence wait and watch his number next year.

MTL will be battling Ottawa for that spot in the division like I said last year.
Obviously you didn't see much of Chychrun's play last season. Allergic to contact, terrible in the D zone, continously losing the puck with his one-handed stick handling, out of position often. His only saving grace was his shot. I'll take Jensen any day. Our GM had been shopping him before the trade deadline and no takers. I believe Staios wanted either a 1st round pick + 2nd or prospect or a RD. Washington was the only taker.

Reactions: senswon

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
Jensen is a 3rd pairing defenceman.. Chychrun is miles ahead.

Perron is a 3rd liner now and will be replacing Kubalik production and yes Ullmark is an upgrade on korpisalo but behind that defence wait and watch his number next year.

MTL will be battling Ottawa for that spot in the division like I said last year.
Comparing Kubalik to Perron is hilarious, Kubalik still hasn't gotten a contract. Perron is good on the boards, wins puck battles, pest to play against and provides veteran leadership. Kubalik scored some goals but was a liability in every category, real deadweight.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Almost all the posters have Ottawa outside of the playoffs, with them needing to forfeit the pick in the next 2 years, do they make any big trade to try and push themselves higher in the standings?

Big trade? You mean, like, *checks notes*, acquiring a top goalie who won the Vezina a year ago?

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
You know it is possible to have more talent but finish with less points the following year right? Bruins have massively overachieved in the regular season the last two years.
The only area they massively over achieved is staying healthy.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I don't agree with that guy's rankings but there is such a hivemind about these things. Any takes outside the box are met with replies such as yours. Last offseason 97% of hfboards predicted the Devils would make the playoffs. Around 2% predicted the Caps would.

The balance of power IS going to start shifting in the Atlantic some day soon.

I'd argue both Tampa and Boston are starting to ice the kind of rosters that, while not bad, are certainly more vulnerable if they suffer injuries or underperformances. Florida's most likely still going to be very good, but cup hangovers have happened in the past and it wasn't that long ago they made the playoffs with just 92 points. Not even Toronto feels like that much of a dominant force considering the constant turmoil surrounding them and the fact they were tied with Buffalo for the 4th most Regulation Wins in the division last season.

The dominance that these teams have had is already a statistical anomaly in the NHL (they are 4 of the 7 longest playoff streaks), and not even Montreal is in full tank-mode any longer. There's not going to be much room for any of them to slip without someone jumping them from below.

"No shot"? That's too much confidence in something that's a question of "when", not "if".
Of course there is a non zero chance that one of the big 4 doesn't make it. If you had to put your house on it though, you aren't betting one isn't making it.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I don't care, I just want Florida as low as possible. We have their 1st this year. They won the cup, they can enjoy a year off.

Sorry Panthers fans, I have absolutely nothing against you guys. In fact I was cheering for you guys against Edmonton! It's just business. I'm sure you understand.
Oh look it the Bedard pick all over again. Hopefully we squeak in again in the last game and win the cup just to hurt you guys again. That was fun.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I don't care, I just want Florida as low as possible. We have their 1st this year. They won the cup, they can enjoy a year off.

Sorry Panthers fans, I have absolutely nothing against you guys. In fact I was cheering for you guys against Edmonton! It's just business. I'm sure you understand.
too bad the pick is lotto protected

The only area they massively over achieved is staying healthy.
they also overachieved their place in the standings the last two years. every metric shows it. There's a reason the Panthers finished barely above the Bruins in the regular season but the playoff matchup wasn't very close.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Of course there is a non zero chance that one of the big 4 doesn't make it. If you had to put your house on it though, you aren't betting one isn't making it.
That's a bad way of looking it at though because I wouldn't bet my house on them making it either. And if I was betting 50USD I'd probably rather bet it on one of the underdogs making it since the payout would be much better.

Reactions: bert

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Cant sleep on the Lindy Ruff feels. This is the Sabres first coach since Bylsma that can truly coach actual hockey systems. Sabres were lost on ice last year. That will not be the case this year.

Reactions: bert

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I think one of Ottawa, Detroit or Buffalo will finish 8th, but I don't know which team.
But I also think the only team that has no chance at playoffs is Montreal.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
This is really difficult this year. For me the wildcard are the Leafs. I could equally see it likely they take a step back in the regular season and finish in the wildcard like the Panthers did after Maurice was fired as the team learns to play a new way. I could also see them put together quite the regular season and win the division. Their tendency to take nights off against bottom feeders cost them the division many times.

So at the risk of being overly hopeful...

1. Toronto - Explained above
2. Tampa - Some changes, got younger, will start the season with a healthy Vasi
3. Boston - They got worse but think they are still a playoff team
4. Sabres - New coach, this is the year they make the playoffs and face the Leafs in round 1
5. Panthers - Got a lot worse and have a cup hangover. Unlikely to be as motivated as well
6. Red Wings - Just spinning their tires
7. Habs - In a tier below the rest of the division
8. Senators - Defense is putrid still, offense not good enough and Ullmark is a fraud IMO

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
This is really difficult this year. For me the wildcard are the Leafs. I could equally see it likely they take a step back in the regular season and finish in the wildcard like the Panthers did after Maurice was fired as the team learns to play a new way. I could also see them put together quite the regular season and win the division. Their tendency to take nights off against bottom feeders cost them the division many times.

So at the risk of being overly hopeful...

1. Toronto - Explained above
2. Tampa - Some changes, got younger, will start the season with a healthy Vasi
3. Boston - They got worse but think they are still a playoff team
4. Sabres - New coach, this is the year they make the playoffs and face the Leafs in round 1
5. Panthers - Got a lot worse and have a cup hangover. Unlikely to be as motivated as well
6. Red Wings - Just spinning their tires
7. Habs - In a tier below the rest of the division
8. Senators - Defense is putrid still, offense not good enough and Ullmark is a fraud IMO
I like this list. The only change I would make is I would swap the Leafs and Panthers in the rankings.

The Leafs core will collapse when they all become Johnathan Huberdeau in the new system. The fans will attribute it to Matthews getting the C and the rot will fester.

Zito moves and Panthers being underrated is nothing new. They will use that to their advantage. Their cup winning core wants it even more, and now they know how to do it.

Toronto is desperately scrambling to copy what Florida did, it will destroy them. Florida has a better, Stanley Cup winning core.

Reactions: Beezeral

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad