ATD 2011 Draft Thread II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

papershoes

Dec 28, 2007
Kenora, Ontario
Bathgate is an absolute moster in the regular season. During his prime, he went head to head with both Gordie Howe and Jean Belivuea, and he scored at a very similar pace despite playing on a crappy team with very little support.

In the play-offs, Bathgate suffered quite a bit from playing on a terrible team. He played in the play-offs 7 times, and only 2 ould be considered bad performances. He only got out of the 1st round twice, and he was among the play-off scoring leaders both times. While his career points average does go down in the play-offs, his career goal average goes up. Overall, I would agree that he was slightly better in the regular season, but I'd never call him a poor play-off performer.

bathgate is a great pick - phenomenal regular season player on some very underwhelming rangers teams. however, i think his playoff record is incredibly suspect and, in my opinion, worse then a player to be selected soon who is constantly slammed for the playoffs...

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
bathgate is a great pick - phenomenal regular season player on some very underwhelming rangers teams. however, i think his playoff record is incredibly suspect and, in my opinion, worse then a player to be selected soon who is constantly slammed for the playoffs...

And I disagree. Bathgate did all he could in the playoffs and he was regularly their leader in scoring.

Playoffs:

1958: 5th in goals
1964: 4th in goals, 8th in points
1966: 1st in goals, 7th in points

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
More Bathgate:

Power play points, 1957-1966

1. Jean Beliveau, 258 (622 GP)
2. Gordie Howe, 256 (687 GP)
3. Andy Bathgate, 221 (681 GP)
4. Bernard Geoffrion, 172 (433 GP)
5. a clown, 169 (676 GP)

All players, even strength points, 1957-1966

1. Andy Bathgate, 498
2. Gordie Howe, 489
3. another clown, 486
4. Bobby Hull, 462
5. some guy, 457
6. Jean Beliveau, 442

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Oh man..

Vancouver Sun, Oct. 30, 1939

Although Apps was the scoring star the big attraction for the crowd was the inimitable Shore. The big Boston defenseman, who recently purchased the Springfield club in the International American League, brought a great roar from the crowd when he danced a lively "shag" to music from an orchestra in the Forum just before the start of the final period.

The spectators found the sight of the usually grim Shore doing a dance on skates amusing, and clapped for more. Eddie obliged and brought down the house.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

In 1956 and 1957, New York ran into the powerhouse Montreal Canadiens. Among Rangers, Bathgate was 1st in goals and 2nd in points over those seasons - only Bill Gadsby had more points. That's nothing great, but it's nothing bad either.

1958, New York again lost in the first round. Bathgate was pretty much a beast though - he scored 5 goals and 8 points in just 6 games. That puts him among the leaders in goals, goals per game, and points per game.

1962, they again lost in the first round. This time, Bathgate wasn't very good. He scored just 3 points on 15 goals.

1964, this is the year he won the Cup, and he was one of Toronto's best players, and one of the play-offs leading scorers.

1965, the Leafs lost in the first round. This is the second time Bathgate has a poor play-off, but he was injured for a lot of the season, so I'm not sure if he was healthy. Anyone know?

1966, Red Wings lost in the finals. Bathgate probably has his best play-off, leading the way in goals.

Good Years: 1958, 1964, and 1966
Average Years: 1956, 1957
Bad Years: 1962
Questionable Years: 1965 (average if he was hurt, bad if he was healthy)

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
More Bathgate:

Power play points, 1957-1966

1. Jean Beliveau, 258 (622 GP)
2. Gordie Howe, 256 (687 GP)
3. Andy Bathgate, 221 (681 GP)
4. Bernard Geoffrion, 172 (433 GP)
5. a clown, 169 (676 GP)

All players, even strength points, 1957-1966

1. Andy Bathgate, 498
2. Gordie Howe, 489
3. another clown, 486
4. Bobby Hull, 462
5. some guy, 457
6. Jean Beliveau, 442

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I disagree, I don't see why Seibert is hard to build around. He was excellent in every facet of the game, except perhaps on the power play (hoping overpass can shed some light on that).

:laugh:

how on earth would he do that? You think he has 1930s PP stats kicking around somewhere?

(on second thought, that wouldn't surprise me)

Seibert was excellent defensively and very tough; there is more than enough to support that. But let's not get carried away about his offense: His twelve top-10 finishes among defensemen look impressive: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5, 5, 7, 7, 9, 10. But he was often quite behind the leader. it's not even close to the same as finishing top-10 a dozen times post-expansion.

His "percentage of the leader" score was as high as 88%, and as low as 36% in those years, but most ranged from 51% to 82%. If you assume today that the top scorer on defense will get about 72 points, then seibert's offense equates to about 37-59 points in a modern context. That's the kind of offense that would see him finish 3rd or so in his best season, and 8th-25th in most seasons.

If there was a guy who finished 8th-25th among d-men offensively over the past 10 years or so, we would certainly consider him ATD worthy based on that alone, and with 550-600 estimated points over the past dozen years, we would most likely consider him a very good 2nd unit PP quaterback... maybe an OK 1st unit guy, too. I might be being too hard on those numbers.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009

how on earth would he do that? You think he has 1930s PP stats kicking around somewhere?

(on second thought, that wouldn't surprise me)

Seibert was excellent defensively and very tough; there is more than enough to support that. But let's not get carried away about his offense: His twelve top-10 finishes among defensemen look impressive: 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 5, 5, 5, 7, 7, 9, 10. But he was often quite behind the leader. it's not even close to the same as finishing top-10 a dozen times post-expansion.

His "percentage of the leader" score was as high as 88%, and as low as 36% in those years, but most ranged from 51% to 82%. If you assume today that the top scorer on defense will get about 72 points, then seibert's offense equates to about 37-59 points in a modern context. That's the kind of offense that would see him finish 3rd or so in his best season, and 8th-25th in most seasons.

If there was a guy who finished 8th-25th among d-men offensively over the past 10 years or so, we would certainly consider him ATD worthy based on that alone, and with 550-600 estimated points over the past dozen years, we would most likely consider him a very good 2nd unit PP quaterback... maybe an OK 1st unit guy, too. I might be being too hard on those numbers.

You're quite wrong. I'll give you your percentages:

36, 45, 55, 58, 60, 63, 66, 71, 72, 75, 82, 83, 88

At least 2 of these years (1940 and 1944), the defense leaderboard was dominated by guys who probably played a good amount of forward those years (*******in '40, and some guy in '44, look it up yourself), so 2 of those percentages, the 36 and 58, are more like 53 and 77. This also happens again in 1945, where those same two guys, ******* and clown, were tied for 1st with 41 points among D. Seibert would have an 85 instead of 72 that year.

What's MOST amazing is how consistent he was offensively. From 1934 to 1945, Seibert is listed as third among D in scoring, behind two guys who played a good amount of forward, to my knowledge, Hollett and the aforementioned clown. In points per game, he comes out at 7th (of players who played at least 100 games), behind 3 guys who played a good amount of forward.

For points, he had 86% of 1st place, and 99% of 2nd place (the leaders were guys who spent a good deal of time at F). In points per game, he has 76% of 1st place while playing 320 more games, and 81% of 2nd place, playing in 343 more games.

Last edited:

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010

These days a 40-50 point rearguard is a "puck moving defenseman".

Even being borderline 1st/2nd pp quarterback along with being one of (if not the biggest) dman of your era, tough as nails and an all star 10 years in a row...

That sounds like a very good all around player to me.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009

Even being borderline 1st/2nd pp quarterback along with being one of (if not the biggest) dman of your era, tough as nails and an all star 10 years in a row...

The anecdotes I've found say as much. There's plenty about how great a stickhandler Seibert was, as well as his passing abilities. I'm looking at old newspapers right now, and there's plenty of mention of things like "Seibert, the great two-way defenseman", etc.

He's not elite offensively, I'm not going to pretend he is, but he definitely seems to be under-appreciated that way around here.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
I don't have any PP stats for Seibert, so looking at overall scoring and attributes is the way to go. From what I have read he was a good puckmover and had a wicked backhander, maybe the best in the league. I read one game summary where he had two goals, both shot from behind the net, s you know he wasn't an Original 6 defenceman who stopped at the blue line.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
I don't have any PP stats for Seibert, so looking at overall scoring and attributes is the way to go. From what I have read he was a good puckmover and had a wicked backhander, maybe the best in the league. I read one game summary where he had two goals, both shot from behind the net, s you know he wasn't an Original 6 defenceman who stopped at the blue line.

Yeah, I just read that too. He fired two from behind the net and banked them in off the legs of the opposing defensemen. I'd say he seems like he was more of a rover in the offensive zone, and with his stickhandling and good passing skills, I think he'd be an adequate PP QB.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
You're quite wrong. I'll give you your percentages:

36, 45, 55, 58, 60, 63, 66, 71, 72, 75, 82, 83, 88

At least 2 of these years (1940 and 1944), the defense leaderboard was dominated by guys who probably played a good amount of forward those years (*******in '40, and some guy in '44, look it up yourself), so 2 of those percentages, the 36 and 58, are more like 53 and 77. This also happens again in 1945, where those same two guys, ******* and clown, were tied for 1st with 41 points among D. Seibert would have an 85 instead of 72 that year.

What's MOST amazing is how consistent he was offensively. From 1934 to 1945, Seibert is listed as third among D in scoring, behind two guys who played a good amount of forward, to my knowledge, Hollett and the aforementioned clown. In points per game, he comes out at 7th (of players who played at least 100 games), behind 3 guys who played a good amount of forward.

For points, he had 86% of 1st place, and 99% of 2nd place. In points per game, he has 76% of 1st place while playing 320 more games, and 81% of 2nd place, playing in 343 more games.

jarek, do you realize who you're talking to here? I have the positions correct in each season, and it's in a file YOU helped me to put together. I even sent it to you. The numbers you are quoting are different from mine because you are using hockey-reference and all their incorrect positions and failure to account for mid-career changes by certain players. (also, at first glance I think you have failed to round up correctly in a couple cases) The whole point of this file was to fix that.

Let's break it down year by year to see where you think I am incorrect.

the numbers I have are: 36, 45, 51, 54, 56, 58, 61, 71, 73 76, 77, 82, and 88.

the eight bolded are the ones that you are incorrect on.

the easier ones to catch are:

- 1937. This was not rounded up properly to 54.
- 1939. This was not properly rounded up to 56.
- 1943. This was not properly rounded up to 73.
- 1935. This was not properly rounded up to 76.

From this, it follows that you have the 51, 61, and 77 listed incorrectly as 63, 66, and 83. The seasons in question are 1942, 1936, and 1941.
- In 1942, I say 51, you say 63. (should be 64, but you didn't round). You incorrectly assumed that the leader was a forward. He was not a forward in this season. 51 is correct.
- In 1936, I say 61, you say 66 (should be 67, but you didn't round). You incorrectly assumed that the leader was a forward. He was not a forward in this season. 61 is correct.
- In 1941, I say 77, you say 83. You incorrectly assumed that the leader was a forward. He was not a forward in this season. 77 is correct.

Got any questions, Boy Wonder? ;)

I don't disagree with that at all. Just in the last couple of drafts I've been quick to temper people's enthusiasm about earlier players finishing relatively high in something, yet having a comparitively weak number versus the #1 or #2 guy(s). This applies mostly to pre-expansion defensemen, and pre-merger players of all positions. the premise to that is, what good is being 5th, if 1st/2nd have almost twice as much?

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
I don't disagree with that at all. Just in the last couple of drafts I've been quick to temper people's enthusiasm about earlier players finishing relatively high in something, yet having a comparitively weak number versus the #1 or #2 guy(s). This applies mostly to pre-expansion defensemen, and pre-merger players of all positions. the premise to that is, what good is being 5th, if 1st/2nd have almost twice as much?

An excellent point, and something one must watch very closely for everything before about 48-49 and especially pre-merger. When one takes into account the fact, for example, that only half of the player pool is represented pre-merger and the sometimes huge gaps between the top scorers and the next tier, you've got guys finishing 6th/7th in the NHL who are probably borderline top-20 in a modern setting. Analyzing that early scoring data requires a huge amount of granularity, but I know you're already aware of that.

By the way, I miss BM67, even if I did find his stats at times confusing and misleading. The guy was a fountainhead of knowledge and was never afraid to go against accepted wisdom.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
On another note, trying to research Seibert has been very frustrating because most of the articles on Google News are pay per view from NYT. :/

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
But stuff like this is very frequent among the things that I do find:

"Earl Seibert remains one of the best two-way rearguards in the league. He is a powerful bodychecker, good blocker and cyclonic rusher." - Montreal Gazette, Dec. 28, 1938

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
By the way, I miss BM67, even if I did find his stats at times confusing and misleading. The guy was a fountainhead of knowledge and was never afraid to go against accepted wisdom.

Absolutely. BM67 is in my top-3 for most-missed old GMs.

He is pretty much the grandfather of the percentage system that I currently believe to be the most efficient.

On another note, trying to research Seibert has been very frustrating because most of the articles on Google News are pay per view from NYT. :/

then do like I said, and go halfers with me on a Times Reader subscription. I still have that "come back at half price for 3 months" email, and splitting that, it would be about $4-5 a month, and we'd each get 50 articles.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
then do like I said, and go halfers with me on a Times Reader subscription. I still have that "come back at half price for 3 months" email, and splitting that, it would be about $4-5 a month, and we'd each get 50 articles.

50 a month is nowhere NEAR enough for how many I'm finding. I'd go through 50 a week, AT LEAST. No, 50 a DAY!

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
ZzZzZZzzZz tic tac tic tac tic tac

What happens if you dont respect your clock? you just lose the pick or...?

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Cyclonic? Somehow I doubt that's really an apt description of Seibert, but it certainly is an amusing abuse of English. I get the feeling that in the past the cyclone was more popular metaphoric symbol than it is today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad