ATD 2011 Draft Thread II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
I'd say he was a good shot blocker rather than an elite one, but perhaps you'll show enough evidence to change my mind.

Otherwise I'd agree. :)

On top of anecdotal stuff about his willingness to sacrifice his body every single shift and the hundreds of stitches to his face, there are also plenty of direct references to him as a big-time shot blocker. On top of the usual "Gadsby blocked so-and-so's shot" references in game recaps, there are also quotes like these:

In Detroit, Bill Gadsby was one of the best at it when I was a kid in the early and mid-1960s. My Dad, who hated the Red Wings, used to complain that Gadsby blocked more shots than did the Red Wing goaltenders—Terry Sawchuk, xxxxx and later, xxxx. - Michael Langlois: Vintage Hockey Memories

A regular shot blocking defenseman, it's no surprise that Gadsby received over 600 stitches throughout his career. - Legends of Hockey

Gadsby was adept at both shot blocking and puck carrying - Who's Who in Hockey

Hall, though, assumed the stance Original Six-era defencemen were taught to take when trying to block a shot -- palms out, legs apart.
Moncton fanned on the clearing attempt, almost as if startled by Hall channeling Bill Gadsby. link

Think of great shot blockers and Bill Gadsby, xxxx, xxxx, xxxx, xxxxx and xxxx come quickly to mind.
link

For what it's worth, Gadsby is also credited with having a major influence on a legendary shot-blocker's game when they were team mates in Chicago.
While the Blackhawks were a weak team, XXXX's skills as a big league defenseman improved greatly under the tutelage of Bill Gadsby. link

All in all, I think it's safe to say that Gadsby was a top-end shot blocker in his day.

Anyhow, that's my piece on Bill Gadsby. I'll probably leave the rest for when lineup assassinations come around.

Last edited:

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Until you prove that it matters, I don't care.

Yes, team strength has nothing to do with individual performance. I forgot there is no number for that so it doesn't exist.

Being in a lesser role likely means that a player "could have" scored more in a greater role, but if they weren't in a greater role, they probably weren't the greater player. For example right now, all we are drafting is offensive forwards, they pretty much all had the same role, with minor variances.

No, it could be that you have a player like Scott Stevens who is fully capable of putting up 70 points in a season if he played offensively, but who buys into a team system and a risk/reward system that means he sacrifices offense to do what needs to be done. It is an extreme example but anywhere along the scale is possible.

minor factor that I think everyone already considers. For example, there's an 80s winger who is much better than his totals would imply.

The vast majority of people here don't give it much consideration at all except to tear down offensive totals of the 80s and play up every other time. It's all stats, and no it isn't minor. Just like Stevens sacrifice, UNDRAFTED PLAYER was supposed to be the next rushing defenseman but he was reined in.. maybe he ended up better overall but it certainly curtailed his offensive totals.

there are very few cases of #1 and 2 being significantly better than the pack statistically. Gretzky and Lemieux from 1987-1992 are one. In one of Orr's big years, Park was an outlier from the rest of the pack. Probably a few WW1-era seasons with Nighbor, Lalonde and a couple others too. Not really a major consideration.

Of course it isn't a major consideration because again, you don't have a number for it so it is ignored.

If your point regarding Seibert was that he was way behind the leaders in those categories, but at the same time we know he was top 10 12 times and top 5 8 times.. then you better start reeling in your opinion of the top 3-4 guys as well because either they are outliers or the competition was horrible.

How can Seibert be overrated in the top 5 8 times and the guys ahead of him get off unscathed?

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
The nature of the game in the 1930s was such that there were a few rushing defensemen far better than anyone else. Often the best defensemen were ex-forwards moved back to defense because they lost their speed.

So finishing in 4th place with 20 points when first has 40 points really isn't that impressive IMO.

You get the same thing in the 1910 and 20s with forwards, but in that case, it's because the talent pool was so thin.

Edit: Basically, I agree with 70s that Seibert is a decent puck mover, but nothing special in an all-time sense. His biggest attribute is his dominating physical presence. (Which is why I compared him to Horton originally).

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
So doesn't that make them... outliers? :)

Yes.

But in a different way from Orr and Coffey. Orr and Coffey were better offensively than just about any forward in the league when they played.

The top offensive defensemen in the 30s (Shore and Clancy basically, with a few blips from other guys) were not.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Yes.

But in a different way from Orr and Coffey. Orr and Coffey were better offensively than just about any forward in the league when they played.

The top offensive defensemen in the 30s (Shore and Clancy basically, with a few blips from other guys) were not.

Yes but again, this gets back to the point of using finishes as a way of showing how good they were relative to their competition.

I don't see why Seibert's finishes get penalized for playing the way defensemen played at the time ..

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Yes but again, this gets back to the point of using finishes as a way of showing how good they were relative to their competition.

I don't see why Seibert's finishes get penalized for playing the way defensemen played at the time ..

You guys should read my Seibert bio to see what kind of player he was. :D

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
All in all, I think it's safe to say that Gadsby was a top-end shot blocker in his day.

Anyhow, that's my piece on Bill Gadsby. I'll probably leave the rest for when lineup assassinations come around.

Ok...I'm sold. I hadn't realized that Gadsby was such a good shot blocker, and I won one of these things with him.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Were Johnny D or Reds4Life notified?

I know I'm always asking, but as the host of many mock entry drafts over the years, it's in my blood. :laugh:

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Well, kind of sarcastic.. there is obviously a disconnect between the first hand viewers who wrote the articles and what is being discussed here.

It's true, especially since those first hand viewers were writing accounts of the games themselves. Seibert gets nowhere near enough credit here for being the offensive catalyst that he appeared to have been during his career.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
FYI, I have a trade offer and if I can't decide between my guys for the next pick, I'm going to take the trade even though I'm on the clock. This won't slow the draft down at all (if anything, taking the trade will be an easy out instead of picking between the multiple players I want). But I'll still obviously take the 1 hour hit, which is fine.

Sturminator

Love is a duel
Feb 27, 2002
West Egg, New York
Heh...the old second round run on defensemen has really become an ATD tradition, hasn't it? It's like watching a car crash in ultra slow-motion. Six blueliners in the last nine picks and a couple guys I've got outside of the top-100 all-time (in an absolute sense...not in terms of bizarro ATD value) picked in the sixties. Mercy.

And me without any defensemen...this blows.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Heh...the old second round run on defensemen has really become an ATD tradition, hasn't it? It's like watching a car crash in ultra slow-motion. Six blueliners in the last nine picks and a couple guys I've got outside of the top-100 all-time (in an absolute sense...not in terms of bizarro ATD value) picked in the sixties. Mercy.

That definitely factored into my reason for drafting one

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

My thoughts exactly. At this point, every defenseman taken is a major reach compared to the forward talent available. But eventually, we need defensemen, right?

Edit: Just remember you have Coffey. haha. Nice comment.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Yes, team strength has nothing to do with individual performance. I forgot there is no number for that so it doesn't exist.

Well, then demonstrate that just being on a better team makes a player's numbers better. Linemates matter, that much is obvious. Does just being on a good team matter? You seem to think so. Prove it!

No, it could be that you have a player like Scott Stevens who is fully capable of putting up 70 points in a season if he played offensively, but who buys into a team system and a risk/reward system that means he sacrifices offense to do what needs to be done. It is an extreme example but anywhere along the scale is possible.

1) Stevens was not capable of 70 points anymore even if he was getting PP time
2) Stevens' PP time dropped considerable after 1994 (frm 4.3 minutes per game 1987-1994, to 1.4 minutes per game 1995-2002) so much of his lower numbers wasn't due to him "buying into" anything at all, but the coach's usage. Unless you believe he got as much PP time as he asked for, and stopped asking ;)

The vast majority of people here don't give it much consideration at all except to tear down offensive totals of the 80s and play up every other time.

This makes no sense. First you say the style of play a team uses matters. I say I agree, and cite a 1980s winger as proof (as in, it's well-known that his team played a defensive style and he's better than his numbers show) - you then add that people don't consider this when tearing down 1980s offensive totals. I don't see the connection here. One of the main arguments is "well, the 1980s were so offensive, you have to understand every team played an offensive style" - so if Boston's defensive style causes this player to be underrated, how can other teams' offensive styles be used to defend others?

It's all stats, and no it isn't minor. Just like Stevens sacrifice, UNDRAFTED PLAYER was supposed to be the next rushing defenseman but he was reined in.. maybe he ended up better overall but it certainly curtailed his offensive totals.

I think everyone who rates UNDRAFTED PLAYER understands what "could have" been and that he was probably more talented than his early numbers indicated (now we're back to team defensive styles underrating players!) However, what happened happened, and yes, his legacy probably got "edited" by coaching, but that's the way it goes sometimes. In judging UNDRAFTED PLAYER's ATD offensive production, I think mostly about what was, and a little about what could have been. I think everybody does just that, probably just to slightly varying degrees. I think that's more than fair.

Of course it isn't a major consideration because again, you don't have a number for it so it is ignored.

No. I told you it is a minor consideration because it rarely happens. "vs. #2" comparisons work very well in cases where there is one outlier (or no real outliers) and then "the pack"... which is most seasons. I gave a couple of examples of when there are 2 outliers, but they are very uncommon in the grand scheme of things. "you don't have a number for it" is ridiculous. Of course we do. It's just not a major consideration, as I said.

If your point regarding Seibert was that he was way behind the leaders in those categories, but at the same time we know he was top 10 12 times and top 5 8 times.. then you better start reeling in your opinion of the top 3-4 guys as well because either they are outliers or the competition was horrible.

Those guys were partially outliers (Shore, Clancy) and the competition for offensive defensemen in general wasn't great. TDMM covered this already though.

How can Seibert be overrated in the top 5 8 times and the guys ahead of him get off unscathed?

Umm, well for one thing, they're ahead of him.

And no one said he was overrated, Seibert's offensive legacy is just as much as in danger of being overrated as 30 other pre-expansion defensemen with relatively similar offensive records. His is pretty good, it just needed to be put into better context; if what he did was impressive as scoring 600 points in the last dozen years that is pretty awesome, it's just not comparable to actually finishing top-10 13 times and top-5 8 times in a modern sense. A guy who did that would have almost 1000 points.

Your last couple of posts indicate you think we are trashing Seibert somehow. Jarek's research clearly indicates Seibert had an offensive edge to him, and my own number crunching showed this was true as well. With that said, as offensive as he was, he was still generally about 30% behind the defense scoring leaders.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad