Prospect Info: At 20th Overall the Wild Select Jesper Wallstedt

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Yeah, it was a 6 on 4 with a minute or so left, and Iowa leading by two. the opportunity presented itself, and he didn't hesitate. He had a very strong game in the nets, also. Seems very calm back there, and doesn't give out rebounds.
He looked sooo happy to score that.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well in that replay, Iowa was winning 4-2 despite being outshot 37-16... so that's promising. But, he's 1-5 with an .899 save percentage so overall not great although the team is bad.
two things;
- CHI is notorious for under counting opponents shots
- Iowa takes a lot of penalties, and this tends to make the SA more dangerous. They are a weak team because most of their best players have been brought up to the big club. Wallstedt looks much better than his stats suggest.

Reactions: ZEBROA

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Decided to pony up an AHL TV team pass for Iowa. Watching the highlights from last night, Wallstedt is a little worrisome. First goal was definitely a bad one to give up.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Decided to pony up an AHL TV team pass for Iowa. Watching the highlights from last night, Wallstedt is a little worrisome. First goal was definitely a bad one to give up.

Welcome to the club! Some great hockey is played down there.

As for Wallstedt, he gad definitely ran a bit hot and cold to start his pro career. Not worried yet, lots of time for the young lad.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Welcome to the club! Some great hockey is played down there.

As for Wallstedt, he gad definitely ran a bit hot and cold to start his pro career. Not worried yet, lots of time for the young lad.
Very true. Off to a really good start tonight.

Reactions: P10p

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
As far as Wallstedt, it's all about letting in the bad angle shots. It's a definite weakness- he's got to cover the post better. The announcer keeps talking about how the angles are different on SHL ice, and i get that to a certain extent, but we are talking BAD angles(near goal line) from 25'+ out.
Otherwise, i like his play.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I think Wallstedt has looked good. It’s going to take time to Adjust to North America. He’s very smart and reads the play well. Swallows a lot of shots. He’ll be fine. This season will be good for him. Wouldn’t be upset if he’s in the AHL next season either. He’s a 20yo goalie.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
As far as Wallstedt, it's all about letting in the bad angle shots. It's a definite weakness- he's got to cover the post better. The announcer keeps talking about how the angles are different on SHL ice, and i get that to a certain extent, but we are talking BAD angles(near goal line) from 25'+ out.
Otherwise, i like his play.
I think Wallstedt has looked good. It’s going to take time to Adjust to North America. He’s very smart and reads the play well. Swallows a lot of shots. He’ll be fine. This season will be good for him. Wouldn’t be upset if he’s in the AHL next season either. He’s a 20yo goalie.
He’s such an interesting player. He was saving a lot of high danger shots last night, but the night before he let in a weak shot through the five goal from the corner boards near the goal line.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
He’s such an interesting player. He was saving a lot of high danger shots last night, but the night before he let in a weak shot through the five goal from the corner boards near the goal line.

He's also only 20.

Lundqvist was putting up a .900 in Sweden at 20 (and spent 4 more years there).

MAF a .900 in Wilkes Barrie.

Luongo a 905 in the AHL.

Anything around .900 in the AHL for him is going to be a great season. Also worth noting that in his first 5 games, he broke .900 + only once. In his last 5, he's broke a .900+ save percentage 4 times.

Already trending well in the small sample sizes.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Awesome weekend for Wallstedt against Rockford! Stopped 20 of 21 last night and 33 of 34 tonight. He's given up 1 goal in each of his last 3 starts.
That's what you want to see with your goaltender.

2.87GAA and a .906 SV%.

He's trending upwards.

Also why is he not considered a rookie?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
It also helps that Iowa(and Wallstedt) has some of their more talented players back on the ice. They were looking pretty thin for a while there. Still think that the goalies down in Iowa have their stats deflated by the high amount of penalties that they take. I am not 100% sure of this, but I think that shots taken on the PP have a higher shooting % than ES shots, right?

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
It also helps that Iowa(and Wallstedt) has some of their more talented players back on the ice. They were looking pretty thin for a while there. Still think that the goalies down in Iowa have their stats deflated by the high amount of penalties that they take. I am not 100% sure of this, but I think that shots taken on the PP have a higher shooting % than ES shots, right?
I'm sure oddities happen, but typically yes, PP Save % is lower than 5v5.

As an aside, what I'd be interested in learning is what PK Save % looks like compared to 5v5. I have a feeling it'd actually be worse than 5v5 simply because any shot you face tends to be an odd-man or breakaway situation, but I'm not sure where to find that information.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm sure oddities happen, but typically yes, PP Save % is lower than 5v5.

As an aside, what I'd be interested in learning is what PK Save % looks like compared to 5v5. I have a feeling it'd actually be worse than 5v5 simply because any shot you face tends to be an odd-man or breakaway situation, but I'm not sure where to find that information.
Not sure if you were talking about Wallstedt in particular, but both NHL goalies have a 1.000 save % when we're on the PP.

Even Strength:
Gus .933%
Fleury .908%

Penalty Kill:
Gus .870%
Fleury .856%

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Not sure if you were talking about Wallstedt in particular, but both NHL goalies have a 1.000 save % when we're on the PP.

Even Strength:
Gus .933%
Fleury .908%

Penalty Kill:
Gus .870%
Fleury .856%
I just meant in general, but thanks for providing that info! Where did you find it? I was searching Google a bit but didn't see any promising stat sites.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Natural Stat Trick lets you sort by situation.
Thanks! I just decided to check it out. Looks like there's a lot of variance for 2022-23 (ranges from 1.000 to .500), but that was expected on such a small sample. Looking at the last 3 years for guys who've had at least 85 shots against while killing a penalty, it's actually surprisingly high at .929. My guess appears to have been wrong, at least for the last 3 years. Sorry for the off topic, done now!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad