Prospect Info: At 20th Overall the Wild Select Jesper Wallstedt

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae

At 1:23? Chay Genoway, former Wild (okay, mostly Aeros) defenseman. I did have to double-check after hearing the name, going "surely not", but here he was.

Interestingly (though only for me, probably), he gets the pass from Tomi Sallinen, who was a long time Espoo Blues player - also someone I'm familiar with from yesteryear.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
At 1:23? Chay Genoway, former Wild (okay, mostly Aeros) defenseman. I did have to double-check after hearing the name, going "surely not", but here he was.

Interestingly (though only for me, probably), he gets the pass from Tomi Sallinen, who was a long time Espoo Blues player - also someone I'm familiar with from yesteryear.
Do you remember a guy by the name of Bernd Bruckler? Played about 3 seasons for the Espoo Blues back in the mid to late 2000s. Was the first badger goaltender I got to see in person. He played for the Blues the season after he left Wisconsin.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Do you remember a guy by the name of Bernd Bruckler? Played about 3 seasons for the Espoo Blues back in the mid to late 2000s.

Of course I do! He was an absolute deity in our net. Proper Austrian wall. That 2007-08 season and our run to the finals is still a bittersweet memory - beating local rivals HIFK and Jokerit in quarters and semis, respectively. I was there for game 7 of the semis, don'tcha know. It's tied for my best sporting memory ever, as far as live events go.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
He is pretty easy top 1- 5 goalie prospects i have seen last 30 years developped in sweden.And for his age he is certain the most complete one so you guys have a big chance you got yourself a Markström or even a Lundqvist if he can stay away from major injuries.

He is extremely quick and big and combines that with exellent rebound control and very poised never gets rattled.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
He is pretty easy top 1- 5 goalie prospects i have seen last 30 years developped in sweden.And for his age he is certain the most complete one so you guys have a big chance you got yourself a Markström or even a Lundqvist if he can stay away from major injuries.

He is extremely quick and big and combines that with exellent rebound control and very poised never gets rattled.
I’m super excited for Wallstedt. I hope he gets some starts at the NHL level this year. He’s arguably our top “nobody” or whatever the grumps call top prospects around here these days.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
It is against Austria but looking forward to watching him play

EDIT: Guess he isnt starting

Last edited:

P10p

May 15, 2012
Jesper was the only reason that Sweden was in that game at all. Sweden didn't decide to start playing until the final 10 minutes. They were doubled in shots and effort all night until then.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
The sequence on first goal was a little rough from not capitalizing on the great opportunity for the Sweds leading to a penalty on Ohgren leading to the PP goal, just unfortunate all around, This goal as well could of been avoided with the failed clearing attempt by #7 on the Sweds that lead to the TO in the defensive zone directly leading to the GA.

The turnover off the FO in the defensive zone that lead to the 2nd goal didnt help either, So I wont put all the fault on him, the goal could of been avoided too If he would of closed up along the pipe a little quicker (Im not too sure how to properly say It but the hole the puck squeezed through was pretty damn small)

3rd goal was just a hard shot to defend and could of beaten any goalie imo

It didnt really seem like his team helped him out all that much either in the defensive zone

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
The sequence on first goal was a little rough from not capitalizing on the great opportunity for the Sweds leading to a penalty on Ohgren leading to the PP goal, just unfortunate all around, This goal as well could of been avoided with the failed clearing attempt by #7 on the Sweds that lead to the TO in the defensive zone directly leading to the GA.

The turnover off the FO in the defensive zone that lead to the 2nd goal didnt help either, So I wont put all the fault on him, the goal could of been avoided too If he would of closed up along the pipe a little quicker (Im not too sure how to properly say It but the hole the puck squeezed through was pretty damn small)

3rd goal was just a hard shot to defend and could of beaten any goalie imo

It didnt really seem like his team helped him out all that much either in the defensive zone
squeezed through his armpit. looked like he was reaching towards the pipe and it was just bad timing to open that hole.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
squeezed through his armpit. looked like he was reaching towards the pipe and it was just bad timing to open that hole.
I might be making excuse but It just seemed like there was bad luck on the first 2 goals against, both of them could of been prevented

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
There is such a thing as being too humble, Jesper.
He'll fit right in in Minnesota.

I didn't love his 2nd goal against (rebound goal), but otherwise he was great. He was statistically outplayed by Mbereko in that game, but he sure looked like the better goalie.
If you saw the replay, it was an unlucky GA, where the puck ramped up off his stick and found a hole. The Swedish D was atrocious, and left the US player(?) all alone in front, while they were covering air.

The 1st two GA Wallstedt looked worse than they were, IMO, but i am happy to see that he took responsibility for them. Those goalmouth scrambles take not only technique, but strength in order to find and freeze pucks. He will get more of the same in the AHL.

The USA looked to be a FAR better team for most of the game. Their forecheck, and play without the puck, was great.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I might be making excuse but It just seemed like there was bad luck on the first 2 goals against, both of them could of been prevented
all 3 could of been prevented had the players in front of him did better. it looked like all 3 were off of turnovers in their own end. wasnt any rushes of speed or anything.

Parax

Aug 26, 2018
First one was on the defense as much or more than Wallstedt. You can't let a guy walk out front on the PP like that and get a stuff attempt and follow up without being boxed out.

2nd one Wallstedt didn't seal the near post as he went to cover. Not like it was a huge letdown but a technical mistake you'd hope he doesn't make. Kind of a fluke goal.

3rd was a ripper of a shot inside the faceoff dot to far upper corner. Hard to put any blame on the goalie, few in the NHL save that and those that do are mostly lucky just due to how they position their gloves when going down into the butterfly.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
First one was on the defense as much or more than Wallstedt. You can't let a guy walk out front on the PP like that and get a stuff attempt and follow up without being boxed out.

2nd one Wallstedt didn't seal the near post as he went to cover. Not like it was a huge letdown but a technical mistake you'd hope he doesn't make. Kind of a fluke goal.

3rd was a ripper of a shot inside the faceoff dot to far upper corner. Hard to put any blame on the goalie, few in the NHL save that and those that do are mostly lucky just due to how they position their gloves when going down into the butterfly.
Thats what I was trying to get at with the 2nd goal but didnt word it well, was that it seemed more of a technical error more than anything, something that can be fixed

I had the same assumption with the 3rd goal as well just a good play and a great shot that very few could of saved

But yeah the Sweds defense looked pretty bad that game and didnt do Wally and favors

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
People were dissapointed with his play just a few day ago and now he’s probably going to be the goalie of the tournament. Not bad. He’s going to be a stud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad