Rumor: Askarov’s agent : We are working on different possibilities for Yaroslav

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Normally a player of Askarov's caliber would most definitely be more valuable to Nashville than others; however in order for this to be applicable, it would require Nashville being able to use him for themselves instead of for value

That wont be the case in Nashville and, without outright being rude about it, simply is not reasonable nor feasible. Saros is signed until 2033

Therefore Askarov's value is lower to his own team than another team; this was not the case prior to the extension announcement and is why they would have gotten considerably more, had they moved him

A first time GM holding onto a first round goaltending prospect too long for the future, and then signing his own 29yo starter to term for the now, is not that unbelievable. But Barry Trotz most certainly f***ed up
Well, I do think the Saros contract was an unnecessarily generous one, I don't like it at all, for reasons that have nothing whatsoever to do with Askarov.

The thing you can't seem to get through your head is that Askarov is JUST A PROSPECT. He is not, and may never be, an NHL player. He may never make the NHL at all. The Preds can't plan their whole roster and future around Askarov any more than they can around Kemell or Wood or any other recent high draft pick. Any of those players might make the NHL, they might bust, they might just be generic or mediocre players who make no tangible contribution above replacement-level... or if we're really lucky maybe one will become a star player one day. MAYBE. But while those future contributions remained undetermined, the team has to move ahead with things in the real world, icing a real lineup, with real NHL players. One day Askarov may enter that conversation. When he does, then maybe his value to the rest of the league will rise to a point where the Preds can get something useful for him in a trade. Today that's not possible, because he's not a player who would help any other team in the league either.

What do you think Askarov's value is to another NHL team today? Maybe a 2nd round pick? Maybe a B-level F or D prospect? It's not Shane Wright or Will Smith, that's for certain. Until he proves himself, he simply doesn't have any significant trade value. Every team in the league has their own goalie prospects. He truly is more valuable to Nashville than he is to any other team in the league. We probably don't have any other goalie in our top-20 prospects list at all. Many other teams have more than 1. Even if Askarov is another 1 or 2 years away from possibly making the NHL, that's still a lot closer than Jatkola, Haider, Milota, or any pick we might make in the next couple drafts. Askarov has a lot of value on our prospect chart, therefore. But you really need to separate that out in your head from his present-tense NHL readiness because his NHL future is still very much an unknown.

Reactions: Armourboy

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You don't think it might hurt his trade value a bit to throw a fit and refuse to report?

Depends on how many teams really like him. It's always about supply/demand with player values. PLD got traded because he was a center with size and Kings didn't have to retain. Why? Because supply/demand for centers is high.

I suspect there are 5 or 6 teams (or more) that would love to add Askarov. However, nobody is trading for a sure shot starter trade value. It's likely Grade A prospect value. He has not played enough NHL games to earn a sure shot NHL starter trade value.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I mean he has two options, either try and beat out Saros or go back to Russia. No one is going to give Trotz the value we need for him, so he isn't getting traded either.

If he is good enough to beat out Saros, Trotz has already shown he is more than willing to buy guys out. If he's not good enough to beat out Saros all of this is just whining anyways.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I mean he has two options, either try and beat out Saros or go back to Russia. No one is going to give Trotz the value we need for him, so he isn't getting traded either.

If he is good enough to beat out Saros, Trotz has already shown he is more than willing to buy guys out. If he's not good enough to beat out Saros all of this is just whining anyways.
You underestimate the power of agents who have a directive from their client to get them traded.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Call it a prospect or an established player, we need some ELC contributors to the lineup to make the push a reality. A guy like Sillinger, Wright etc. whoever it is, is much closer to making an impact to the roster than Askarov would ever be as only the backup.
Requires a team to offer that though. It sure as heck shouldn't be for a Mike Matheson, Nick Robertson, Alexander Holtz and a pick, a random 1st worse than the one we drafted him with, or inferior goalie prospects + spare parts, which is about all the offers we tend to see.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Depends on how many teams really like him. It's always about supply/demand with player values. PLD got traded because he was a center with size and Kings didn't have to retain. Why? Because supply/demand for centers is high.

I suspect there are 5 or 6 teams (or more) that would love to add Askarov. However, nobody is trading for a sure shot starter trade value. It's likely Grade A prospect value. He has not played enough NHL games to earn a sure shot NHL starter trade value.
Whereas I suspect that the vast majority of NHL GMs/goalie coaches would absolutely abhor Askarov. He is extremely unorthodox. Not just in terms of his goaltending technique - which would be bad enough - but also in terms of his personality/charsima/etc. You'd have to be REALLY good to overcome that, normally - and so far Askarov hasn't been even close to that good. He is getting a lot of love here for his draft position, but not many people are really all that familiar with him as a player. :dunno:

You underestimate the power of agents who have a directive from their client to get them traded.
I do believe his agent has the power to get him signed in the KHL, if he's willing to go back. That's about it. :dunno:

Reactions: Armourboy

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Requires a team to offer that though. It sure as heck shouldn't be for a Mike Matheson, Nick Robertson, Alexander Holtz and a pick, a random 1st worse than the one we drafted him with, or inferior goalie prospects + spare parts, which is about all the offers we tend to see.
And I suspect that is all that Trotz has ever seen also - or worse. There is just no way we're trading Askarov for a 2nd round pick or B prospect. Let him sink or swim.. if he sinks, we'll take the loss. Draft picks are never guaranteed, if Poile blew that one, well, then it wasn't Trotz's mistake, he won't have a lot of sentimentality for that mistake.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
You underestimate just how willing this organization is to sit on guys. Trotz may not have been the GM when Radulov went down, but he was the coach.

Like I said, if he wants to play in the NHL he has one option right now and that is with Nashville. Trotz isn't going to trade him for scraps just because he wants to be traded.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Iowa Wild is putrid. Askarov winning 5 of 7 is more indicative of the team, then the player.

Askarov has .911 vs a .907 on his backup.

Wallstedt has a .910 vs a .881 on his backup(who's career AHL save percentage I'm 300 games was .908)
I don't see what the backup goalies' records have to do with head-to-head play between the 2 starters.

Are you suggesting that Wallstedt has to play more because his backup was not as good as Troy Grosenick?

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I don't see what the backup goalies' records have to do with head-to-head play between the 2 starters.

Are you suggesting that Wallstedt has to play more because his backup was not as good as Troy Grosenick?
The comparison is more about the teams they play on... Milwaukee is a very good team, and there wasn't much difference between Askarov (the guy we're talking about) and Grosenick (a very generic AHL veteran goalie with no NHL aspirations)... hence suggesting that Askarov's stats are as much a product of playing on a very good team as they are any indication of how well he himself played. The fact that he was pulled for Grosenick in the playoffs is another indication that there is not much separation between Askarov and Grosenick. And that's not a good thing for Askarov.

Whereas Wallstedt's team was a lot worse. And even though Zane McIntyre has historically been a very good AHL goaltender (one might suggest he compares favorably to Grosenick in terms of being a solid generic AHL veteran goalie with no NHL aspirations)... there was a huge separation in statistics between Wallstedt and McIntyre. Which is a good thing for Wallstedt.

Of course, it's not scientific, it doesn't account for the possibility that McIntyre may have fallen off a cliff lately, or that Grosenick might have just had a rejuvenation of some sort, etc. There are lots of potential holes in it. But comparing goalie stats for the starter vs. his backup is something us stats watchers tend to do in terms of guessing how much of an impact the starter is having on whatever level of success his team is having. In this case, it's saying that Askarov isn't having much impact while playing on a good team, whereas Wallstedt is having a much bigger impact while playing on a bad team.

One thing that's kind of funny is that Minnesota signed Grosenick. So Grosenick is going to be Wallstedt's backup now in the coming season. The plot thickens! :laugh:

Reactions: adsfan

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Coming to a conclusion on a prospect's current and potential skill by comparing said prospect's stats in the AHL to an AHL vet's stats is a bit foolish to me.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Coming to a conclusion on a prospect's current and potential skill by comparing said prospect's stats in the AHL to an AHL vet's stats is a bit foolish to me.
Nobody comes to any conclusion based on just that, of course. Give your head a shake. It's just one of many many things that folks can look at. :rolleyes:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

Wait, am I reading this wrong here or is the suggestion that Askarov worth more than Mike Matheson? The Canadiens would never offer him up for Askarov. They'd be absolutely insane to do that.

FSL KINGS

May 10, 2021
When is Askarov eligible for an offer sheet? Not that it will happen, but they'll get more serious about moving him right before that becomes a possibility.

For now, it doesn't look like any GM is really desperate enough to meet current asking prices.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Well you did. A few, actually.
Not at all. I was just trying to describe the rationale for why another poster may have mentioned it. You'd certainly have to do a much deeper dive into those splits to see if they held any merit, quality of opposition, games on back-to-back nights, all that, and then you still wouldn't REALLY know anything for sure, it's just a curious statistical sidenote either way.

Other people have actually watched the players, so they have more to go on than just trying to read the tea leaves in the stats. From actually watching the players, I think Askarov is not close to ready. Regardless of what his stats say. There are people here who have watched almost every Admirals game during his tenure, and I'm not sure any of them think he is ready either, or that he's notably better than his AHL backups Grosenick or Cooley before him. Yet. But he's young, and folks do expect him to continue to progress and get better. He has 2 more years before we start to get worried about it.

Reactions: adsfan

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
When is Askarov eligible for an offer sheet? Not that it will happen, but they'll get more serious about moving him right before that becomes a possibility.

For now, it doesn't look like any GM is really desperate enough to meet current asking prices.
Honestly, the extension for Sarros doesn't really impact Askarov until his next contract or at least until he establishes himself full time in the NHL. Nash still needs someone to play 25-30 games for them.

Long term he won't be there. But, really, at 22, he needs to win a job on an NHL roster first.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
To New Jersey for Dawson Mercer, with Jake Allen then sent to a third team for a pick.

That should be a perfectly acceptable situation for Askarov. Learn under a legitimate veteran goalie for 2 years. It's not like a Saros situation where if Askarov wins the starting job he is blocked because Saros is their for 9 more years. Markstrom is there for 2, and the Devils aren't so invested in Markstrom that if Askarov wins the starting job that Askarov won't got 40-60 games over Markstrom.

Reactions: The Wizard

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
To New Jersey for Dawson Mercer, with Jake Allen then sent to a third team for a pick.

That should be a perfectly acceptable situation for Askarov. Learn under a legitimate veteran goalie for 2 years. It's not like a Saros situation where if Askarov wins the starting job he is blocked because Saros is their for 9 more years. Markstrom is there for 2, and the Devils aren't so invested in Markstrom that if Askarov wins the starting job that Askarov won't got 40-60 games over Markstrom.
Do people even read what they are saying here? If Askarov "wins the starting job" over Saros... then the Preds, what, they just don't want to win and they'll play Saros anyway and take the losses? :huh:

It didn't happen with Rinne. He's a legend in Nashville, but when Saros was ready to take over, he took over. It will be the same if Askarov is ever better than Saros. I think the Preds have seen enough of Askarov that they have serious doubts about that ever occurring, mind you, but you could put ANY name in the mix if you wanted. If Wedgewood, or Matt Murray, or Jatkola/Haider/Milota become better than Saros, or they sign one of the kids in their development camp, Rousseau, whoever. The day the Preds have somebody who proves to be better and gives them a better chance of winning hockey games than Saros does, then that guy is the starter.

Reactions: Armourboy and JPT

BillR10

Nov 16, 2008

Buyout Saros 😆. You just signed him to an 8 yr extension. There is 0 chance Trotz buys out Saros even if Askarov plays out of his mind in the preseason and start of the season. I could only imagine Trotz trying to resign anyone after that. It would be disastrous as every agent would remember that

Reactions: vtdevils2k

JPT

Jul 4, 2024

If Askarov wins the starting job, he wins the starting job. Saros doesn’t have to start just because of his contract. That’s a misconception.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Buyout Saros 😆. You just signed him to an 8 yr extension. There is 0 chance Trotz buys out Saros even if Askarov plays out of his mind in the preseason and start of the season. I could only imagine Trotz trying to resign anyone after that. It would be disastrous as every agent would remember that
Askarov couldn't keep his job in the playoffs in the AHL, he suddenly going to be able to win against competition most nights in the NHL? Stop being delusional.

Askarov is a good 4 years away from being a legit starter. He can't even make it 50 games right now without completely running out of steam.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad