NHL Around the NHL - Regular Season 2017-18

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
that is still debateable, the Devils retain his rights indefinitely, so it doesn't mean he can sign elsewhere or with anyone; I don't think they'll allow any player to individually go to the Olympics.... think AO and the Capitals, if the overall position within the league is we're moving on and not interrupting the 2018 NHL Season as has been released/announced.

Is it? The Devils no longer have his rights starting next year.

Re: the Olympics, I meant that he would ban himself if he plays in the NHL, if he stays in the KHL he can participate without uncertainty. It doesn't make sense for him to return this year.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
that is still debateable, the Devils retain his rights indefinitely, so it doesn't mean he can sign elsewhere or with anyone; I don't think they'll allow any player to individually go to the Olympics.... think AO and the Capitals, if the overall position within the league is we're moving on and not interrupting the 2018 NHL Season as has been released/announced.

What?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Is it? The Devils no longer have his rights starting next year.

Re: the Olympics, I meant that he would ban himself if he plays in the NHL, if he stays in the KHL he can participate without uncertainty. It doesn't make sense for him to return this year.

nope, why would he retire in 2013, then, from the entire league, it was and makes no sense now to even consider him back in North America, then why retire from playing in the NHL if there's zero impetus that he wants to come back here

the NHL isn't interrupting their season PERIOD

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
torontos cap is another example how you cant build through the draft now... yes they got 3 great kids on elc but only for 3 years. they also seam to have a couple useful role players in kadri and brown and hyman

but their cap right now 78.9 mill... they are going to ltir horton and lupal to get it down to 68.5 but they have to resign brown which will put it back to 71... sign a 14th forward

they got around 3.5 cap space but their kids will make around 4.5 mill in bonus money. heaven help the leafs if lupal refuses to spend another year on ltir

next year the leafs can let jvr, bozak, komarov, fehr leave for 13 mill... replace them all with elc... but that wont cover the raises for matthews, marner, nylander

even when you draft good... this is what happens. contract management is by far the number one most important thing for winning

finding guys who play better than their contract is gold

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
torontos cap is another example how you cant build through the draft now... yes they got 3 great kids on elc but only for 3 years. they also seam to have a couple useful role players in kadri and brown and hyman

but their cap right now 78.9 mill... they are going to ltir horton and lupal to get it down to 68.5 but they have to resign brown which will put it back to 71... sign a 14th forward

they got around 3.5 cap space but their kids will make around 4.5 mill in bonus money. heaven help the leafs if lupal refuses to spend another year on ltir

next year the leafs can let jvr, bozak, komarov, fehr leave for 13 mill... replace them all with elc... but that wont cover the raises for matthews, marner, nylander

even when you draft good... this is what happens. contract management is by far the number one most important thing for winning

I disagree 150%

Toronto IS an example of how to build through the draft. Their Cap issues aren't due to poor drafting, they are due to bad contracts that have nothing to do with the kids on ELC's. The hilarious part is that you mention several of these very contracts in your post.

Your "even when you draft good...this is what happens" line is gold.

For some reason it reminds me of The Derek Zoolander Center For Children Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn to do Other Stuff Good Too :laugh:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I disagree 150%

Toronto IS an example of how to build through the draft. Their Cap issues aren't due to poor drafting, they are due to bad contracts that have nothing to do with the kids on ELC's. The hilarious part is that you mention several of these very contracts in your post.

Your "even when you draft good...this is what happens" line is gold.

For some reason it reminds me of The Derek Zoolander Center For Children Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn to do Other Stuff Good Too :laugh:

oilers are headed down same road. washington is there now never having won a thing

when we look at history we see 3 teams have won enough in the past decade to be considered the gold standard

pittsburgh did win out of the block with crosby/malkin but then went into cap hell. in short order they had to let expensive pieces like gonchar, whitney, staal go. they wandered lost for the next 6-7 years as they waited for the cap to grow. year after year the cimplaint was there was no one to play with the big centers.

eventually the cap grew... pittsburgh could afford depth... the depth was found looking at the scrap pile and identifying bargains... good contracts

chicago put together a core through the draft... but immediately had to trade half of it away byfuglin, their starting goalie, ladd, barker... half the draft picks that had been key... later saed can be added to this list and now hjarlmson

but chicago found smart affordable depth to win with. hossa was a bargain, the russian kid was a steal, the bottom 3 dmen were always scrap yard reclamation projects. and every deadline chicago traded pics for vets they could afford

la got quick, doughgy, kopitar out of the draft... brown too... but then they went hunting for good contracts that fit the team

you can keep 3 or 4 kids to build around if they are superstars but you better be prepared to trade everyone else off if you want to win because you won't be able to afford to keep them and still have enough depth to win anything

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
PIT and CHI are the poster children for building through the draft.

After all that you posted above, you still haven't explained how TOR shows that you can't win building through the draft. You saying that teams need to "find good contracts to win" is the epitome of a Captain Obvious statement.

No **** you need good contracts to fill in the holes around the players you drafted.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
No C.
No Puck moving D.
No good prospects.

Unless they put Drouin or Galchenyuk at C (Claude will lose his lasts hairs... :laugh:) they have this for C:

Plekanec
Danault
Shaw
Mitchell

Good luck with that... :laugh:

You were the biggest Claude guy here saying how great he coached with a team lacking in talent. What happened to that?

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
PIT and CHI are the poster children for building through the draft.

After all that you posted above, you still haven't explained how TOR shows that you can't win building through the draft. You saying that teams need to "find good contracts to win" is the epitome of a Captain Obvious statement.

No **** you need good contracts to fill in the holes around the players you drafted.

i guess my point is obvious to you... but i read alot here... see people suggesting we need to put 10 kids in the lineup... any suggestion of trading any kid for any vet is screamed at

i am forecasting toronto is in a mess based on how they are handing out contracts to second string kids like kadri, hyman, brown, the russian dman, their unproven goalie...

maybe its not so obvious to you?

im saying at minimum they need to junk every high priced vet currently giving them depth... will i be wrong? i doubt it

if toronto works hard and begins to find bargains they might save their build but im saying its already dead in the water. if im wrong you have my permission to call me out on it

i use this example because im willing to climb on the ledge to back up my theories. been doing it over 40 years now. im right well over 75% of the time when i go on the ledge

its ok you disagree... i hope you are around in 10 years and we can continue this. but i see a huge problem for toronto already in their way and they havent won a thing yet

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

you can build through the draft still problem is for the Leafs is they finished low enough that they snagged those kind of kids that get expensive quickly picking top 10 last 3 years

Marner as #4 pick in 2015, very next year it`s Matthews, and in 2014 Nylander in the top 10 which has helped propel them to a spot where they have become competitive very fast.

The problem isn`t building through the draft for the Leafs, the problem is having so many high picks who have flourished who get expensive quickly.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
you can build through the draft still problem is for the Leafs is they finished low enough that they snagged those kind of kids that get expensive quickly picking top 10 last 3 years

Marner as #4 pick in 2015, very next year it`s Matthews, and in 2014 Nylander in the top 10 which has helped propel them to a spot where they have become competitive very fast.

The problem isn`t building through the draft for the Leafs, the problem is having so many high picks who have flourished who get expensive quickly.

I love reading the word problem and leafs in the same sentence...please contineu...:nod:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I love reading the word problem and leafs in the same sentence...please contineu...:nod:

haha, well, they aren`t in that situation yet and you can tell based on their signing of Moore/Hainsey and especially Marleau that they know it`s coming and they are trying to bring in those vets to help balance a young lineup as they gear up for a run.

They aren`t far off, man are they fun to watch and if that team were wearing Spoked B jersey`s, some here would be predicting duck boats in the very near future but they have to strike in the next few years

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
haha, well, they aren`t in that situation yet and you can tell based on their signing of Moore/Hainsey and especially Marleau that they know it`s coming and they are trying to bring in those vets to help balance a young lineup as they gear up for a run.

They aren`t far off, man are they fun to watch and if that team were wearing Spoked B jersey`s, some here would be predicting duck boats in the very near future but they have to strike in the next few years

I actually like the players just some fans are a little over zealous. 50 years of loserfullness would do that. Let's see if this crop of leafs can break that tradition. Looking better but history says otherwise.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I actually like the players just some fans are a little over zealous. 50 years of loserfullness would do that. Let's see if this crop of leafs can break that tradition. Looking better but history says otherwise.

yep, guilty of it myself and you have been on the boards here long enough to know that we aren`t innocent of being the same way at times.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
I think the NHL should consider counting home-grown players 10% less against a team's salary cap.

The cap system as it exists now is better than the late 90s model of buying the best team, but I hate seeing this enforced parity. Teams should not be punished for drafting and developing well. If a team gives out bad contracts yes, but what Chicago has been forced to do in terms of moving players should be minimized. So on the Toews + Kane contracts each at $10.5 million, Chicago would save $2.1 million on the cap, not much but might help stop a little bit of the bleeding.

I don't like the widespread mediocrity which is exacerbated by the 3 point system.

I want to see legitimately great teams, now with the cap you get 20 mediocre teams, 5 that are a little better, and 5 that are a little or a good deal worse. You get a superstar and you can't afford anyone else to play along side him, or you do and you have a 2 line team. It's not great for the game.

The drawback is that this proposal would probably further reduce trades which are very entertaining and have declined, at least in season.

Any suggestions for improving cap system?

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

This is the opposite of a problem. Having too many good players is a good thing. You can always make trades. Give me too many assets as a GM every day.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

This is misleading, no? The Leafs had some great teams for long stretches over that time, just never got over the hump.

I'm not saying they should feel good, but they haven't been the Cleveland Browns or Quebec Nordiques the entire time.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
This is misleading, no? The Leafs had some great teams for long stretches over that time, just never got over the hump.

I'm not saying they should feel good, but they haven't been the Cleveland Browns or Quebec Nordiques the entire time.

Isn't misleading at all...I'm almost 50 and I have yet to see them in the finals? I

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
This is the opposite of a problem. Having too many good players is a good thing. You can always make trades. Give me too many assets as a GM every day.

agreed, was thinking about the "problem" of not having enough cashola to keep em all around but I didn`t make my point clear, I personally, would love this problem.

I think the B`s are kind of heading there, perhaps not with elite talent up front but very solid talent, fingers crossed

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Isn't misleading at all...I'm almost 50 and I have yet to see them in the finals? I

That organization hasn't been a disaster for 50 years though, right? That's what you were suggesting. With some perspective I think we can acknowledge they had some really good stretches but failed to get over the hump.

Again, I'm not saying the Leafs should raise a banner that says "Had Some Pretty Good Stretches," but this isn't like sports teams that have always sucked. They have unlimited resources and one of the best young players in the game. No team in the division worries me more for the next decade than the Leafs.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
That organization hasn't been a disaster for 50 years though, right? That's what you were suggesting. With some perspective I think we can acknowledge they had some really good stretches but failed to get over the hump.

Again, I'm not saying the Leafs should raise a banner that says "Had Some Pretty Good Stretches," but this isn't like sports teams that have always sucked. They have unlimited resources and one of the best young players in the game. No team in the division worries me more for the next decade than the Leafs.

I lived in the Toronto area all my life. Yes it's been good for small stretches but overall brutal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad