NHL Around the NHL - Regular Season 2017-18

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I've seen people say "omg Chia is handcuffing EDM" with regard to the McDavid and (expected) Draisaitl deals and it just belies a fundamental misunderstanding of what did Chia in here. Like you said, it wasn't the star player deals it was all the bottom 6 deals (and inability to bring in any ELCs to replace them). Chia is going to look like a genius in Edmonton for the first few years, but once he has to start signing or extending depth guys that will be the real test of whether or not he has learned from his mistakes.

I still say it had a lot to do with what his plans were for the Bruins going forward. I never thought his contracts were all that bad, but there was a real reluctance to healthy turnover that (combined with an empty prospect pool) seemed likely to keep us in purgatory.

McDavid however? You pay the man. Draisaitl? The same.

Signing these player to long, expensive deals would be the opposite of "typical Chiarelli". Typical Chiarelli would have dealt them for buckets of ****. Giving these guys money is precisely what SHOULD be done.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I've seen people say "omg Chia is handcuffing EDM" with regard to the McDavid and (expected) Draisaitl deals and it just belies a fundamental misunderstanding of what did Chia in here. Like you said, it wasn't the star player deals it was all the bottom 6 deals (and inability to bring in any ELCs to replace them). Chia is going to look like a genius in Edmonton for the first few years, but once he has to start signing or extending depth guys that will be the real test of whether or not he has learned from his mistakes.

what i like about chiarelli in edmonton is dealing off losers like hall/eberle/and next hopkins... buying out pouliot... clearing house on the old culture

bringing in guys from good organizations that are well known for standing up for teammates like lucic/maroon.... i wouldnt be shocked if iginla or jagr joins jokkinen there

the oiler window to win will be similar to ours, chicago, LA... but mcdavid, draisdailt, nurse are young enough they can pull a pittsburgh and rebuild for more cups later

but chiarelli has to understand this next season is already in the window. you cant be worried 3-4 years down the road when you are now in your window

Mr. Make-Believe

what i like about chiarelli in edmonton is dealing off losers like hall/eberle/and next hopkins... buying out pouliot... clearing house on the old culture

bringing in guys from good organizations that are well known for standing up for teammates like lucic/maroon.... i wouldnt be shocked if iginla or jagr joins jokkinen there

the oiler window to win will be similar to ours, chicago, LA... but mcdavid, draisdailt, nurse are young enough they can pull a pittsburgh and rebuild for more cups later

but chiarelli has to understand this next season is already in the window. you cant be worried 3-4 years down the road when you are now in your window

Hall and Eberle were both dealt WAY under value.

Not arguing with you... Just saying. I can't congratulate him for those deals because he didn't get near what he should have.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta

Those guys are only losers because they were in Edmonton rotting away. Except pouliot he's always been a loser.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
Hall and Eberle were both dealt WAY under value.

Not arguing with you... Just saying. I can't congratulate him for those deals because he didn't get near what he should have.

They were, I still think the Hall-Larsson trade was bad but I don't mind Eberle-Strome. He knows he has to pay McDavid and Draisaitl big time so saving quite a bit of cap space was part of the value he is getting out of those deals.

Mr. Make-Believe

They were, I still think the Hall-Larsson trade was bad but I don't mind Eberle-Strome. He knows he has to pay McDavid and Draisaitl big time so saving quite a bit of cap space was part of the value he is getting out of those deals.

Really? I thought that trade was freaking WORSE. Ryan Strome? Ryan Spooner would have been a better return for Eberle.

If cap space is part of the value, then trading Eberle for "future considerations" would have been a better return, because at least futures don't cost $2.5M against the cap. The Islanders are anything but a well-run organization and they still managed to beat Chiarelli up, take his lunch money and leave him with an atomic wedgie.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Really? I thought that trade was freaking WORSE. Ryan Strome? Ryan Spooner would have been a better return for Eberle.

If cap space is part of the value, then trading Eberle for "future considerations" would have been a better return, because at least futures don't cost $2.5M against the cap. The Islanders are anything but a well-run organization and they still managed to beat Chiarelli up, take his lunch money and leave him with an atomic wedgie.

have to agree. He looked like the real deal then just fell apart. I honestly think this may be his last decent contract.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I still say it had a lot to do with what his plans were for the Bruins going forward. I never thought his contracts were all that bad, but there was a real reluctance to healthy turnover that (combined with an empty prospect pool) seemed likely to keep us in purgatory.

McDavid however? You pay the man. Draisaitl? The same.

Signing these player to long, expensive deals would be the opposite of "typical Chiarelli". Typical Chiarelli would have dealt them for buckets of ****. Giving these guys money is precisely what SHOULD be done.

MMB, that's not what the numbers say. While he was here, off the top of my head (the guys not the actual numbers), Chia signed:

Lucic: 3 yrs, $18m (he was coming off a 3yr $4m+ bridge deal)

Rask: 8 yrs, $56m

Krejci: 6 yrs, $43.5m

Bergeron: 8 yrs, $55m

Chara: 7 yrs, $45.5m

Savard: 7 yrs, $28m+

Seguin: 6 yrs, $34.5m

The only guys I recall him NOT signing were Kessel and Boychuck.

So, him signing McD and LD to long term deals would absolutely be "typical" Chia. He has also given out a few typical ill-advised ones as well (Pouliot, Sekera, Russell, Looch to a lesser extent). Wonder what he will give Maroon?

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010

Spooner isn't a bad comparison but I wouldn't trade him for future considerations, I'd probably take Strome over him and the Oilers needed a right shot. The thing is Eberle isn't much of a commodity, a one dimensional floater who is way overpaid at 6mil until he is a UFA. He couldn't really get on track when he had every opportunity to play with McDavid.

Mr. Make-Believe

Spooner isn't a bad comparison but I wouldn't trade him for future considerations, I'd probably take Strome over him and the Oilers needed a right shot. The thing is Eberle isn't much of a commodity, a one dimensional floater who is way overpaid at 6mil until he is a UFA. He couldn't really get on track when he had every opportunity to play with McDavid.

I'll just have to chalk this up to you thinking FAR less of Jordan Eberle than I do.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
lateral move by PIT, Tocchet went back to ARI....

I wouldn't....bet on it.

giphy.gif

Mr. Make-Believe

MMB, that's not what the numbers say. While he was here, off the top of my head (the guys not the actual numbers), Chia signed:

So, him signing McD and LD to long term deals would absolutely be "typical" Chia. He has also given out a few typical ill-advised ones as well (Pouliot, Sekera, Russell, Looch to a lesser extent). Wonder what he will give Maroon?

Here comes Captain Nitpick again to right another wrong.

You know your list you could probably draw up for any GM in the NHL with tenure comparable to Chiarelli. It's not what HE did. It's what your job is as a general manager. Sign guys. Manage your cap.

But there is ONE NHL GM who is known for being particularly flippant when it comes to dealing his young stars for lousy returns. And his name is Pete Chiarelli. OBVIOUSLY that is what I was talking about.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

Pouliot wasn't a Chia signing if I remember correctly.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

You know your list you could probably draw up for any GM in the NHL with tenure comparable to Chiarelli. It's not what HE did. It's what your job is as a general manager. Sign guys. Manage your cap.

But there is ONE NHL GM who is known for being particularly flippant when it comes to dealing his young stars for lousy returns. And his name is Pete Chiarelli. OBVIOUSLY that is what I was talking about.

You are too funny.

This is what I was replying too:

Signing these player to long, expensive deals would be the opposite of "typical Chiarelli". Typical Chiarelli would have dealt them for buckets of ****.

Then I posted all the "long expensive deals" that Chia gave out while he was in Boston, and that was "nitpicky"? Christ, there were two 7 yr and two 8 yr deals in there :laugh:

If you don't want me to "nitpick", don't say things that just aren't true.

And grow some thicker skin for God's sake. If Odaat had posted that, my reply would have been the same (and accurate).

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta

He's also well known for overpaying role players.

Mr. Make-Believe

You are too funny.

This is what I was replying too:

Signing these player to long, expensive deals would be the opposite of "typical Chiarelli". Typical Chiarelli would have dealt them for buckets of ****.

Then I posted all the "long expensive deals" that Chia gave out while he was in Boston, and that was "nitpicky"? Christ, there were two 7 yr and two 8 yr deals in there :laugh:

If you don't want me to "nitpick", don't say things that just aren't true.

And grow some thicker skin for God's sake. If Odaat had posted that, my reply would have been the same (and accurate).

Oh... I guess you DIDN'T know what I was referencing.

I apologize for giving you the benefit of the doubt. Won't happen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad