NHL Around the NHL - Regular Season 2017-18

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Was that a scathing article or completely misguided article? Seems to me that it's grossly off base. No Kessel, no back to back cups. Not a surprise that someone posted it here though. Always have to rip a guy once he's gone, regardless of the success they've had.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Was that a scathing article or completely misguided article? Seems to me that it's grossly off base. No Kessel, no back to back cups. Not a surprise that someone posted it here though. Always have to rip a guy once he's gone, regardless of the success they've had.

I think it's interesting to the future of the East depending on the credibility of the writer. It's not the guy who likes to troll opposing coaches with his "whataboutism" so maybe it's a legit take.

I think them losing Kessel because they are tired of his act or whatever IS a huge blow to their future and therefore worth discussion. It's hard for me to see them getting rid of him when the honeymoon should still be glowing.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Pretty bad article.
It stated, "I believe Kessel will be traded."

Then in the same article says, "...Kessel counts as a $6.8 million hit against the Penguins’ salary cap through the 2021-22 season, when he will be 35.

Kessel also has a limited no-trade clause in his contract.

Good luck to the Penguins trying to move him."

So why is this journalist so certain Kessel will be traded if he thinks it will be so difficult to find someone to take him?

tempering expectations of the return

kessel is one of those high talent highlight reel machines that uneducated fans think are very valuable players. in edmonton, they just traded eberle and fans were thinking he was worth haminic AND strome.

if a player like this needs to be traded then its best to begin the propaganda ASAP or the uneducated fans can revolt at the meager returns a 6.8 mill one dimensional player will return in todays nhl.

as for kessel... if you leave him alone... dont ask much from him... you will get your 30 goals/65 points. hes talented enough that playoff checking doesnt slow him down. he doesnt need linemates much. at the sametime he doesnt benefit much from linemates either. he is his own best friend and his own worst enemy

i wouldnt want to spend the cap space to get him on my team. if he was an ufa i would offer him around 4 mill. but at 6.8 i would try to trade him away if he was on my team

its too bad. imho hes one of the 5 most purely talented players in the nhl. but he only gives you around 60% of what he has.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

kessel is one of those high talent highlight reel machines that uneducated fans think are very valuable players. in edmonton, they just traded eberle and fans were thinking he was worth haminic AND strome.

if a player like this needs to be traded then its best to begin the propaganda ASAP or the uneducated fans can revolt at the meager returns a 6.8 mill one dimensional player will return in todays nhl.

as for kessel... if you leave him alone... dont ask much from him... you will get your 30 goals/65 points. hes talented enough that playoff checking doesnt slow him down. he doesnt need linemates much. at the sametime he doesnt benefit much from linemates either. he is his own best friend and his own worst enemy

i wouldnt want to spend the cap space to get him on my team. if he was an ufa i would offer him around 4 mill. but at 6.8 i would try to trade him away if he was on my team

its too bad. imho hes one of the 5 most purely talented players in the nhl. but he only gives you around 60% of what he has.

Yeah, the educated fans know he's ****ing crap. The way he played during two straight Cup runs just proves he's ****.

"Around 4 mill" for Kessel, from a guy that defends the Backes contract every chance he gets.

Good. ****ing. Grief.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Yeah, the educated fans know he's ****ing crap. The way he played during two straight Cup runs just proves he's ****.

"Around 4 mill" for Kessel, from a guy that defends the Backes contract every chance he gets.

Good. ****ing. Grief.

we know what he got traded for last time... lets see if pittsburgh gets more

im never the one surprised when trades happen and the return for these offensive guys is so low

i wasnt surprised by hamilton
i wasnt surprised by seguin
i wasnt surprised by kessel or wheeler
i wasnt surprised by thornton

i called erikson being let go
and yes
i defended the backes deal

you might say im out of the loop but im the one getting it right

id catorgarize you as someone unhappy with the state of things so i dont blame you for also being unhappy with me... but the reason you are unhappy is things keep happening that you dont want to happen.

dont tell me im not in the loop because you wish things were differnt

and as far as calling kessel crap.. i said he scores at will... playoff checking doesnt effect him... if he feels like scoring he will score. how is this calling him crap?

Last edited:

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

Good. ****ing. Grief.

That's pretty rich from the guy who said he was robbed of the Conn Smythe.

The reason he was trounced by Crosby in the voting is the same reason he's going to get shipped out from a third team. It's hockey, not fantasy hockey.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
That's pretty rich from the guy who said he was robbed of the Conn Smythe.

The reason he was trounced by Crosby in the voting is the same reason he's going to get shipped out from a third team. It's hockey, not fantasy hockey.

Phil WAS robbed. If Mike forged his opinion from the stat sheet, he wouldn't have come up Kessel.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
peter klima scored 313 goals in just 786 career games... super gifted player. top 20 ive ever seen play

terry oreilly scored a measly 204 in 891 games

sometimes i felt oreilly had very average talent

but i can promise you klima wouldnt be close to my team... and oreilly is a god to me

Pia8988

May 26, 2014

Anyone who watched the Pens run know he was valuable. They arent the winners two years in a row without him. What a hilarious stance.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
No offense but were you in a coma the past two years?

i acknowlege he scores goals... ive always said he scores goals

i also am not surprised when the fan base/media begins to boo him because he takes around 40% of the time off

if he shows up for the playoffs he will score... if he shows up for a training camp game he will score... if he shows up hes very very good

this is a guy who got elliminated from the playoffs and told the reporter hes going fishing now

pittsburgh got lucky... he showed up

phil is NOT coachable... he DOESNT play well with other kids... he likes his hotdogs on gameday... his coach said we asked kessel if he will try to play defense so we can play him at center and he said no. at training camp the new ac told kessel to participate in the new drill... in front of all the kids kessel said no.

so actually ive been awake and following kessels career more than 10 years. i call him one of the 5 most talented players in nhl

im not surprised if pittsburgh wants to trade him. i doubt many teams will want him at his caphit. he doesnt have alot of value imo

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
if they keep him you might be right... but i imagine you will soon be saying what a stupid trade pittsburgh made

66 points in 71 games, not a minus player in any year of the playoffs. Can be the driving force on a line. He was the reason Hagelin-Bonino-Kessel was so good. Hagelin went from 16 points to 2 without Kessel. Bonino dropped from 18 to 7.

Not valuable. They may still move him for cap reasons, but to say he isn't valuable is just pure ********.

I'd trade Backes straight up for Kessel today. No GM says yes to that though.

Kessel 2 time loser
Backes 0 time winner.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
i acknowlege he scores goals... ive always said he scores goals

i also am not surprised when the fan base/media begins to boo him because he takes around 40% of the time off

if he shows up for the playoffs he will score... if he shows up for a training camp game he will score... if he shows up hes very very good

this is a guy who got elliminated from the playoffs and told the reporter hes going fishing now

pittsburgh got lucky... he showed up

phil is NOT coachable... he DOESNT play well with other kids... he likes his hotdogs on gameday... his coach said we asked kessel if he will try to play defense so we can play him at center and he said no. at training camp the new ac told kessel to participate in the new drill... in front of all the kids kessel said no.

so actually ive been awake and following kessels career more than 10 years. i call him one of the 5 most talented players in nhl

im not surprised if pittsburgh wants to trade him. i doubt many teams will want him at his caphit. he doesnt have alot of value imo

It's the results on the ice that matters. Everyone seems to want to focus on what he isn't. He isn't a leader, he isn't a selke threat but he does nothing but show up and produce and even more so in the playoffs consistently throughout his career. He isn't afraid of the big stage that is for sure.

I think with hockey sometimes grit gets overrated and talent gets underrated. I have a hard time believing he is some dressing room cancer, he sure as hell hasn't hurt the Penguins room.

Two straight rings, so much for the adage 'you can't win with guys like that'.

I'd take Kessel back on the Bruins for sure.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
Article from Sportsnet on which teams have improved the most this summer as a result of their moves. They list the Canes, Stars, Yotes and Flames as the winners. Agree or disagree?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/four-improved-nhl-teams-far-summer/

I agree except Calgarys offseason is overrated. They gave up decent assets for a 35 year old goalie and paid full freight for Hamonic. They have parted with two many picks the last few years (gee I wonder who influenced that) and I don't think they are just a Hamonic away from being a serious cup contender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad