NHL Around the NHL - Regular Season 2017-18

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
The every increasing likelihood of a player spending their entire career with one team has become much less as the league continues in a direction that promotes player movement. Sean McIndoe reviews 16 players with current long term ties to one organization and handicaps the likelihood of them finishing a career as a one team player. The 16 equate to approximately just 2% of players for the entire league. Of that number just a handful are given better than a 75% chance of realizing a one team connection. Signs of inching closer and closer to dinosaur type status being somewhere on the horizon.

Bergeron is of course on that list and the review contained the following comments on his situation.
(Thought the Cashman reference was somewhat surprising given the Bruins long history and in comparison to the leagues list of one team longevity rankings.)

"Patrice Bergeron, Bruins

The tenure: 899 games dating back to 2003

Why they’ll make it: He’s a great player locked into a long-term contract at a tough-but-reasonable cap hit. The Bruins have their share of issues, but Bergeron isn’t one of them.

Why they won’t: He’s only 31, so there’s lots of runway left here. And it’s fair to say that the Bruins have had an, um, unusual history with star players. That usually involves trading them away early in their career, and Bergeron somehow survived that stretch in Boston. But if Bourque and Orr could wind up elsewhere, surely Bergeron could, too.

Chance of making the one-franchise club: 75%. Wayne Cashman is the all-time leader in games played among players who only suited up for Boston (with 1,027), and he ranks just 265th on the all-time list. But the betting here is that Bergeron sticks around long enough to pass him."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/goes-brown-nhlers-join-one-franchise-club/

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
The Stars have definitely improved, but I expect growing pains. There will be massive culture shock adapting to Hitchcock's system after the variation of 'everyone chase the puck, don't worry about defensive coverage even though our goaltending stinks' pond hockey they've been playing. By mid season they should have it figured out.

New Jersey also seems to be taking steps in the right direction.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
The every increasing likelihood of a player spending their entire career with one team has become much less as the league continues in a direction that promotes player movement. Sean McIndoe reviews 16 players with current long term ties to one organization and handicaps the likelihood of them finishing a career as a one team player. The 16 equate to approximately just 2% of players for the entire league. Of that number just a handful are given better than a 75% chance of realizing a one team connection. Signs of inching closer and closer to dinosaur type status being somewhere on the horizon.

Bergeron is of course on that list and the review contained the following comments on his situation.
(Thought the Cashman reference was somewhat surprising given the Bruins long history and in comparison to the leagues list of one team longevity rankings.)

"Patrice Bergeron, Bruins

The tenure: 899 games dating back to 2003

Why they’ll make it: He’s a great player locked into a long-term contract at a tough-but-reasonable cap hit. The Bruins have their share of issues, but Bergeron isn’t one of them.

Why they won’t: He’s only 31, so there’s lots of runway left here. And it’s fair to say that the Bruins have had an, um, unusual history with star players. That usually involves trading them away early in their career, and Bergeron somehow survived that stretch in Boston. But if Bourque and Orr could wind up elsewhere, surely Bergeron could, too.

Chance of making the one-franchise club: 75%. Wayne Cashman is the all-time leader in games played among players who only suited up for Boston (with 1,027), and he ranks just 265th on the all-time list. But the betting here is that Bergeron sticks around long enough to pass him."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/goes-brown-nhlers-join-one-franchise-club/

I certainly hope so. I would cry if he went anywhere else. He deserves another cup or two here in Boston to cement and get the full legacy a player of his ability/presence deserves. WHEN his number is retired I will be there. No matter what is going in my life and no matter how much I have to spend. I will be there.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Pretty bad article.
It stated, "I believe Kessel will be traded."

Then in the same article says, "...Kessel counts as a $6.8 million hit against the Penguins’ salary cap through the 2021-22 season, when he will be 35.

Kessel also has a limited no-trade clause in his contract.

Good luck to the Penguins trying to move him."

So why is this journalist so certain Kessel will be traded if he thinks it will be so difficult to find someone to take him?

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Where is the article lambasting Seguin? Only 26 goals in 82 games.

Hmm, that's interesting...

Career shooting percentage of 11.2, last year was only 8.6. Still had 72 points though.

But yeah, I can't figure out why that Pittsburgh writer didn't write about Seguin instead.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
He'd look great on Krejci s wing

One heartbeat. Would love to have him back.

Always mess with a good thing.

"Without him we would have won three Cups the last two years!"

And THIS is the point. UNREAL. I don't believe they're even flirting with it.

Kessel has been I-N-S-T-R-U-M-E-N-T-A-L in back-to-back Cup wins. You don't **** around with that.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Pretty scathing article on Kessel in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette today. It says they don't want him anymore and Malkin doesn't want to play with him.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2017/07/12/dont-be-surprised-if-penguins-trade-phil-kessel.html

"Even though he had 23 points in the 25 post-season games, it was hard to find anyone in the organization to say he was playing well"

Huh? Come again? You sign up for that every single post season before it even starts. Crap piece.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Pretty bad article.
It stated, "I believe Kessel will be traded."

Then in the same article says, "...Kessel counts as a $6.8 million hit against the Penguins’ salary cap through the 2021-22 season, when he will be 35.

Kessel also has a limited no-trade clause in his contract.

Good luck to the Penguins trying to move him."

So why is this journalist so certain Kessel will be traded if he thinks it will be so difficult to find someone to take him?
I think that's where Rick Tocchet comes in. AZ is a low budget team which has to constantly strive to meet the minimum. If Tocchet can get the best out of him, and PIT agrees to subsidise the contract, like Toronto, it may be a match. Just my view on the situation without inside info.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Pretty scathing article on Kessel in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette today. It says they don't want him anymore and Malkin doesn't want to play with him.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2017/07/12/dont-be-surprised-if-penguins-trade-phil-kessel.html

Weird article. A lot of conjecture on the part of the writer as to what Malkin and Sullivan think of Kessel. I guess he's assuming since Malkin and Kessel had a couple spats that Malkin doesn't want to play with him. The writer also "guesses" that Rutherford and Lemieux are driven crazy by Kessel. Bottom line is Kessel has been a key part of back to back Cups. He also has not missed a regular season game in 7 years and just came off a 70 point season with some huge goals at key moments.

The writer concludes:

Good luck to the Penguins trying to move him. Good luck to the team continuing to have to deal with him without Tocchet.

Uh, ok, whatever. I think most every team would love to have to deal with Kessel's production of points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad