NHL Around the NHL - Regular Season 2017-18

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I don't know how you build a championship team at this point without having major contributions from players on entry level contracts.

With the cap staying relatively stable and these massive contracts, you simply cannot afford to have middling players making in the range of 4-6 million dollars eating away at your cap space.

Have to lock up your key guys and turn the rest of the roster over.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
Boy are they up against the cap, I ran a Cap Friendly sim and after re-signing Grubauer for 2.0 per, I filled out the rest of the roster with guys between 600-700k, and still only ended up with 250k in cap space.

Just looking at their roster, you have to think Lars Eller is not long for Washington, seems like the most logical contract to move (good luck shedding Orpik's deal).

they are having a horrible offseason imo. Extending Oshie until he will be nearly 40 and then trading away a good young forward in Marcus Johansson for dirt cheap was a couple of bone headed decisions.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Druin, resigning Galchenyuk, Alzner. Could be worse IMO. Heard Mcquire on the radio with Melnick the other day. Sounded tired and bitter. Didn't even bring up how he missed on Schattenkirk going to Boston. So off on everything

Pierre tried to sensationalize things to get clicks/listens. I find it annoying, but I expect it now. Heck, I don't even think I clicked the 'Shattenkirk to Boston' thread, sensing it was more hot air. ;)

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I think Shero is doing a pretty good job in NJ, but does anyone else think he badly botched the Kovalchuk situation? Had a chance to get something for a guy that clearly was not going to play for them and instead, jacked up the price to unreasonable levels.

Now Kovakchuk stays in the K for one more season, becomes a UFA, and Shero/NJ get nothing.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I think Shero is doing a pretty good job in NJ, but does anyone else think he badly botched the Kovalchuk situation? Had a chance to get something for a guy that clearly was not going to play for them and instead, jacked up the price to unreasonable levels.

Now Kovakchuk stays in the K for one more season, becomes a UFA, and Shero/NJ get nothing.

I didn't follow the situation that closely so I'm not sure exactly what was offered; what I heard was a mid-level draft pick or picks.

I don't have a problem with GM's nixing deals when other GM's try to take advantage of the 'Take my low-ball offer or get stuck with nothing in return' scenario.

Rutherford never got a what he perceived as fair value for Marc-Andre Fleury, with other GM's knowing they'd lose him in expansion. He kept him, and has another ring to show for it.

Sakic is doing similar with Duchene, and we'll see how that plays out.

The Devils won't benefit from Kovalchuk playing in the KHL; at the same time, his bolting for Russia hurt the franchise, so they owe him no favors. Nor do they owe any favors to other clubs.

It sounded to me that any trades would have greatly benefited the player, the receiving team, but not really New Jersey.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I didn't follow the situation that closely so I'm not sure exactly what was offered; what I heard was a mid-level draft pick or picks.

I don't have a problem with GM's nixing deals when other GM's try to take advantage of the 'Take my low-ball offer or get stuck with nothing in return' scenario.

Rutherford never got a what he perceived as fair value for Marc-Andre Fleury, with other GM's knowing they'd lose him in expansion. He kept him, and has another ring to show for it.

Sakic is doing similar with Duchene, and we'll see how that plays out.

The Devils won't benefit from Kovalchuk playing in the KHL; at the same time, his bolting for Russia hurt the franchise, so they owe him no favors. Nor do they owe any favors to other clubs.

It sounded to me that any trades would have greatly benefited the player, the receiving team, but not really New Jersey.

Whether the offers were earth-shattering or not isn't the point. This year NJ still had control and could have dealt his rights to a Western team. Next year he will be a UFA and can sign with anyone, including a PIT or WAS in the same division as NJ.

What's better? Some mid-level picks/prospects or nothing and having to potentially see the guy 5 times a season?

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Whether the offers were earth-shattering or not isn't the point. This year NJ still had control and could have dealt his rights to a Western team. Next year he will be a UFA and can sign with anyone, including a PIT or WAS in the same division as NJ.

What's better? Some mid-level picks/prospects or nothing and having to potentially see the guy 5 times a season?

Reading the Trade Board, most Devils fans are happy with how Shero handled it. I don't know all the complexities, but say they did send him to a Western team on a short 'show me' contract, like Radulov. What's to keep him from signing with a division rival after that?

No one knows what was actually offered, and Shero even claims there were no offers. And now if someone signs him next year, it will be a 35+ contract, which becomes even riskier for a guy one year older, and one more year removed from the NHL.

Mid/late round picks can be acquired without too much difficulty. And let's face it - there is some pride involved. We've all read the reports that Sweeney sent Dougie Hamilton to Edmonton's arch rival when he felt Chiarelli was ready with an offer sheet.

One of the few teams reported to be interested in Kovalchuk was the Rangers. There was no way Shero was essentially going to give him to them. If he signs there next year, so be it. But if he can't cut it in the modern NHL in his mid 30's the Rangers will be stuck with that contract.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

I don't understand why more GMs don't "auction" these assets to the highest bidder. Why does that seem like such a foreign concept?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
The hate runs deep in NJ for Kovalchuk. Some would rather he be unable to play this year than getting an asset for him. I don't think there were any big offers for him.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Druin, resigning Galchenyuk, Alzner. Could be worse IMO. Heard Mcquire on the radio with Melnick the other day. Sounded tired and bitter. Didn't even bring up how he missed on Schattenkirk going to Boston. So off on everything

Yeah I'm not sure how the Habs are in trouble this year either.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Reading the Trade Board, most Devils fans are happy with how Shero handled it. I don't know all the complexities, but say they did send him to a Western team on a short 'show me' contract, like Radulov. What's to keep him from signing with a division rival after that?

No one knows what was actually offered, and Shero even claims there were no offers. And now if someone signs him next year, it will be a 35+ contract, which becomes even riskier for a guy one year older, and one more year removed from the NHL.

Mid/late round picks can be acquired without too much difficulty. And let's face it - there is some pride involved. We've all read the reports that Sweeney sent Dougie Hamilton to Edmonton's arch rival when he felt Chiarelli was ready with an offer sheet.

One of the few teams reported to be interested in Kovalchuk was the Rangers. There was no way Shero was essentially going to give him to them. If he signs there next year, so be it. But if he can't cut it in the modern NHL in his mid 30's the Rangers will be stuck with that contract.

Once again, something is better than nothing. Also, the NJ trade board does not typically influence my hockey decision-making :laugh:

As far as I know, Sweeney chose Calgary because the offer EDM gave him was very similar to the Flames (1st and two 2nds). All things being equal I can see why the B's would rather send Dougie to Calgary than EDM. In this case, I would be surprised if there were only a few teams interested and Shero is a relative newbie, so I would not expect him to have the same dislike for Kovalchuk that a Lou Lams might have.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010

I sincerely doubt that Kovy ever had any intention on playing in the NHL this season. His contract was up in the KHL, him and his agent used the NHL as negotiating leverage. Why would we come this year when the Devils control his destiny and he would also ban himself form playing in the Olympics. Next year if he wants to return to the NHL he can sign with whoever he wants.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I sincerely doubt that Kovy ever had any intention on playing in the NHL this season. His contract was up in the KHL, him and his agent used the NHL as negotiating leverage. Why would we come this year when the Devils control his destiny and he would also ban himself form playing in the Olympics. Next year if he wants to return to the NHL he can sign with whoever he wants.

that is still debateable, the Devils retain his rights indefinitely, so it doesn't mean he can sign elsewhere or with anyone; I don't think they'll allow any player to individually go to the Olympics.... think AO and the Capitals, if the overall position within the league is we're moving on and not interrupting the 2018 NHL Season as has been released/announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad