NHL Around the NHL - Regular Season 2017-18

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
As many posters have referenced the Price contract has huge potential to handcuff the Habs for seasons to come.

Tyler Kerdman wrote the attached excellent piece last season on a preferred model for salary cap allocation by position. His analysis and comments on GT'ers in particular are very insightful. Tuukka is included in his analysis. His conclusion is that a contending team should allocate its % of dollars by position as follows.

GT'ers 10%, D Men 33% and F's at 57%.

The deal signed by Price will see the percentage for the team GT'ers position (Price and Montoya, who is signed through next season) rise from 10% this season to 15.3% for next. It assumes no change in the 75M cap in place for this season. Kerdman also comments that he sees long term deals for GT'ers as having huge risk. He advocates for contracts being at shorter term. With the 8 year deal set to start next season, Price will be 38 when the new contract expires. Salary info was taken from the Capfriendly site.

FYI: Bruins are currently at 10.9% for Rask (with 4 seasons remaining on his deal) and Khudobin (on an expiring deal).

https://medium.com/@tylerkerdman/the-nhl-salary-cap-allocation-theory-f735830a764a

As an aside, Lawrence Gilman was a guest on the TSN free agency day telecast yesterday and expanded on the theory with his updated version of thinking for breaking down salary % by each GT tandem, forward line and D pairing. Have not found anything in print from him as yet on what he did relay. Hoping he may publish it at some point soon.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Jack Todd: With Price locked up, key for Canadiens is winning the Cup

With Price now in the fold until 2026, the goal is crystal clear. Complete the resumé that includes world junior gold and two Olympic gold medals. Win a Stanley Cup. Get the ring. Get another ring after that one.

Price has done the rest. He has already punched his ticket to the Hockey Hall of Fame and ensured one day his No. 31 will join Plante’s No. 1, Dryden’s No. 29 and Roy’s No. 33 in the rafters of the Bell Centre. There can be no other focus now, for him or for his club.

To that end, it would be helpful if Alexander Radulov and Andrei Markov decided to return, but as Bergevin said Sunday: “If you want loyalty, buy a dog.†If Radulov and Markov elect to leave, it’s their decision — and their loss.

Because, as Price himself said Sunday: “There’s no better place to play hockey. For me, I’m honoured to be able to wear a Canadiens uniform for the rest of my carer.â€

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I'm having trouble seeing the vision of just about every team in the East. Seems like it's there for the taking and no one wants to make the move.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Caps just gave Kuz $62.4m over 8 years, so somebody had to go. Always liked Johansson. He's not the flashiest guy, but very solid. This is literally the first deal that has been made this offseason that I would not have minded the Bruins doing.

More proof that players can be had... even if they aren't part of the daily rumor mill. Seems like it was something Washington had in their back pocket all along and nobody caught wind of it.

Not nearly as skilled or dynamic as Kuznetsov, but he did have a near identical stat line. And he's only a year younger. The Oshie signing makes even less sense to me right now, but I don't really follow the caps that closely.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I got yelled at the jazz fest for saying price was way overpaid

Well, his Cap hit will be 2M more than the 2nd highest one (The King at 8.5M), it's for 8y, he has an abysmal playoffs stat line and Habs have no money left to get a C and the have no puck moving D.

Lottery pick next year. Hopefully, they oveyachieve and miss the playoffs by a couple points...

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
I thought that the Lundvist contract was bad. Well it still is, but the Price deal is on another level. Will be interesting times in Montreal when his record comes back to his career average.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
capitals cap is a mess... 14 guys signed with just 9 mill to round out their roster with at least 7 elc deals

just lost alzner and johnson for a second and a third

throw in shattenkirk too if you wish

i remember b fans freaked out when all we got for boychuk was 2 seconds.. but at least we won something first

meanwhile LA looks like a hot garbage fire in the making... chicago is trying to pull a fast one with hossa... if league disallows it chicago id in a horrible mess.

sorry guys, but reality in a cap world id a team gets around 5 years to try to win before having to start making money moves to rebuild the team

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Are you old enough to have read any Red Fisher columns ???? That freaking Montreal homer used to make me actually swear at a newspaper. :rant:

He was even worse. He was a lot better writer though so he go in his jabs and got away with it, A homer is a homer , just listen to the delusional BS you hear on TSN 690 every day. Like Price was going to get 8.5, the homer discount don't you know? Or like VGK were going to take Plecs in the expansion draft. They talked about these things Like they actually had a chance of really happening. Like it was a foregone conclusion. Montreal media is the worst, probably why I hate anything Habs with such a passion.

Last edited:

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
Great deal for the Devils. Surprised they traded him in the division. Would have fit perfectly here, disappointed for the first time this off-season. Devils got him for Mark Savards contract and Lou Lams compensation. Hilarious. Always like Shero.

savvy GM. He inherited an organization that was in reprehensible condition in NJ and has made some really nice moves.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Montreal signed Drouin, but are somehow a lot worse than they were last season. I swear to god if they tank and draft Dahlin i quit.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Montreal signed Drouin, but are somehow a lot worse than they were last season. I swear to god if they tank and draft Dahlin i quit.

I agree a great deal with what McGuire had to say on that show about the state of the Habs.

I will say however:

- that defense stinks, can't skate, can't move the puck... just the kind of blueline Julien loves and succeeds with

- when you're arguably the best player at your position, you're gonna get paid... And if I'm the team that's footing the bill, I don't blink and I don't *****. If the Canadiens have cap troubles down the road, it won't be because of Carey Price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad