NHL Around the NHL - Regular Season 2017-18

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Agreed... 5-6 weeks ago i pointed out leafs have a huge problem based on these contracts they are giving to 3rd liners and middle pair dmen. I was told i know nothing... but this is going to become a MAJOR STORY

when leafs are forced to start selling off their young stars for cap reasons, their tv ownership is going to ask nhl why are we paying tv money to support the league when our own team has gone 50 years without a cup and now we cant afford to kerp our kids?

How is this going to be a major story?

No different than any team in the cap system. If you end up with a bunch of elite kids on ELCs, you get a chance at a "super-window" much like the Blackhawks had in 2010 where you can afford to spend on the bottom 2/3rds of your roster because the top 1/3 is so cheap. That year is really next year for the Leafs.

After that you have to decide who to keep.

The Leafs will build around Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kadri up front, Reilly, Zaitsev, Gardiner on the back end and Andersen in net. Another 5 million locked up long term in Hyman who can play up and down the line-up, and Martin to anchor the 4th line.

Significant UFA 2018 - JVR, Bozak, Komarov,

Significant UFA 2019 - Hainsey, Gardiner

Significant UFA 2020 - Marleau

Leafs, like the Bruins, have a nice load of prospects in the system to hopefully fill in the gaps.

Not being able to keep your none core kids is not a story in a cap system.

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA

No different than any team in the cap system. If you end up with a bunch of elite kids on ELCs, you get a chance at a "super-window" much like the Blackhawks had in 2010 where you can afford to spend on the bottom 2/3rds of your roster because the top 1/3 is so cheap. That year is really next year for the Leafs.

The Leafs will build around Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kadri up front, Reilly, Zaitsev, Gardiner on the back end and Andersen in net. Another 5 million locked up long term in Hyman who can play up and down the line-up, and Martin to anchor the 4th line.

Leafs, like the Bruins, have a nice load of prospects in the system to hopefully fill in the gaps.

Probably even longer too as Nylander and Marner are prime bridge-deal candidates for a team with that cap structure. If they could work their way into getting some legit defenseman within the next 5 years (2 more ELC + 3 year bridge), they could make a few serious runs before they get in trouble.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

watch and learn... by the time next cba rolls around toronto and their media ownership wont be supporting the cap

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
watch and learn... by the time next cba rolls around toronto and their media ownership wont be supporting the cap

So what? They are just one vote on the board of Governors. Sure, powerful owners like Jacobs have more sway among the less senior owners to convince them how to vote, but its still one vote.

Chances are they are one of a very select few teams that didn't desire a cap back in 2005, they were one of the biggest spenders in the 1995-2004 era.

Fact is, far more teams want and need a salary cap than those who don't. It's going nowhere.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Probably even longer too as Nylander and Marner are prime bridge-deal candidates for a team with that cap structure. If they could work their way into getting some legit defenseman within the next 5 years (2 more ELC + 3 year bridge), they could make a few serious runs before they get in trouble.

They'll have a good chance again in 2018-19, but I'd wager at least two of Bozak/JVR/Komarov are gone after next year. Their forward group 1 through 13 once Brown is resigned is as solid a forward group as there is in the league for next season.

The year after Hainsey will be gone, I can see them extending Gardnier, but I don't think the Leafs D gets enough credit. I was never a Gardiner fan but he's come a long way under Babcock. They have a solid Top 4 next two seasons, and we've seen now you don't need an super-elite D-corps to win a cup. They have some decent depth, and some decent D prospects who can hopefully fill in the gaps.

Even come 2019-20, they should still be a solid club overall provided the can draft and develop well.

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
Odds Shark has complied its over/unders for this seasons win totals for all teams in the league (Their site report was used by Sportsnet as the basis for its article on the OS's projections with a primarily focused on Canadian Teams). The Bruins come in at 44.5 wins as do the Leafs with the Habs and Bolts closely following at 44. There is a drop off to 40 wins or less for other teams in the Atlantic.

http://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/nhl-regular-season-win-totals
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/capitals-favourites-lead-nhl-wins-third-straight-season/

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
They'll have a good chance again in 2018-19, but I'd wager at least two of Bozak/JVR/Komarov are gone after next year. Their forward group 1 through 13 once Brown is resigned is as solid a forward group as there is in the league for next season.

The year after Hainsey will be gone, I can see them extending Gardnier, but I don't think the Leafs D gets enough credit. I was never a Gardiner fan but he's come a long way under Babcock. They have a solid Top 4 next two seasons, and we've seen now you don't need an super-elite D-corps to win a cup. They have some decent depth, and some decent D prospects who can hopefully fill in the gaps.

Even come 2019-20, they should still be a solid club overall provided the can draft and develop well.

The team I'm watching is Winnipeg.

The are small market but they can kiss that good by.

Ehlers is basically Pastrnak to me and will get ball park to him

Laine looks like he will be around Matthews and Eichel

Trouba as bp13 predicted last summer is a top pair guy- he had a heck of a year and is only making $2,812,500 this season and is a RFA next summer

I would think the 3 will pull in at least $25 M

They got Scheifele and Wheeler on good contracts and had to over pay Big Buff a bit.

They have for years been held up as the team with the best accumulation of young talent lets see how they manage paying those guys

The Leafs boast one of the best front offices in the game and to me they look like they get what is happening

they are going to take a run at this the next couple of years and then adjust to the way things will be down the line

I agree they lose at least 2 if not all 3 of JVR/Bozak/Komarev

they are going to miss out on the second contract bridge deal it looks like as their stars are going to go from 0-60 or entry level to elite deals in year 4

this will all be fascinating to watch and see who runs out of money when high end kids are ready for second contracts

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
NHL Network ranked the top centers in the league, and Bergeron only came in at #11.

Guess between Rask and Bergeron, they don't think too highly of the B's.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
NHL Network ranked the top centers in the league, and Bergeron only came in at #11.

Guess between Rask and Bergeron, they don't think too highly of the B's.

The Bruins have arguably done the least of any team this off-season. Bergeron being ranked #11th is laughable but the Bruins right now are on nobody's radar.

That could be a good thing.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
I get why they put McDavid 1st, but 'right now' its Crosby then daylight to McDavid, then aeons to the rest of them.

McDavid is special but he isnt there yet, having him ranked above Crosby NOW is absolutely foolish. Crosby has all the freakish ability minus the speed of McDavid and is superior in every other aspect. The hype is annoying to say the least

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
The Bruins have arguably done the least of any team this off-season. Bergeron being ranked #11th is laughable but the Bruins right now are on nobody's radar.

That could be a good thing.

Good point. There are a ton of question marks heading into the season for the Bs. The thing is that if things line up right the Bs actually have a chance at a deep playoff run. I didn't feel that way the past three seasons. Even if things did line up right the past few years it wouldn't have made much difference in terms of being a legit contender. The Bs still need a scoring winger and a strong top-4 d-man, just as in the past. The difference this season is that a scoring winger, or two, may step up and come from within the organization. If McAvoy and Carlo play really well and Chara maintains his form from last season then the top four on D are pretty darned good. I am assuming these things are what Sweeney is banking on and is why there was little action from the Bs in the off-season. Avoiding a slew of major injuries and having the kids step up could put the Bs in a spot to take the league by surprise and go deep into the playoffs. I know that might be a bit too optimistic, but at least it is possible at this point.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Here's the list:

1. Connor McDavid
2. Sidney Crosby
3. Evgeni Malkin
4. Austin Matthews
5. Nicklas Backstrom
6. John Tavares
7. Steven Stamkos
8. Tyler Seguin
9. Ryan Getzlaf
10. Mark Scheifele
11. Patrice Bergeron
12. Jonathan Toews
13. Anze Kopitar
14. Jack Eichel
15. Leon Draisaitl
16. Ryan Johansen
17. Aleksander Barkov
18. Jeff Carter
19. Evgeny Kuznetzov
20. Sean Monahan

I'm a big Seguin fan, but factoring in all aspects of the center position, he's not above Bergeron in my eyes.

With as much time as he's missed, I disagree with Stamkos being ahead of him, too. Not that it's his fault, but the body of work isn't there in recent times.

Is one season with a high goal total enough to warrant Matthews being so high?

Backstrom is very good, but he plays with the best scorer in the game today.

Considering Bergeron's body of work in all facets of the position, I think #11 is too low for him.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Here's the list:

1. Connor McDavid
2. Sidney Crosby
3. Evgeni Malkin
4. Austin Matthews
5. Nicklas Backstrom
6. John Tavares
7. Steven Stamkos
8. Tyler Seguin
9. Ryan Getzlaf
10. Mark Scheifele
11. Patrice Bergeron
12. Jonathan Toews
13. Anze Kopitar
14. Jack Eichel
15. Leon Draisaitl
16. Ryan Johansen
17. Aleksander Barkov
18. Jeff Carter
19. Evgeny Kuznetzov
20. Sean Monahan

I'm a big Seguin fan, but factoring in all aspects of the center position, he's not above Bergeron in my eyes.

With as much time as he's missed, I disagree with Stamkos being ahead of him, too. Not that it's his fault, but the body of work isn't there in recent times.

Is one season with a high goal total enough to warrant Matthews being so high?

Backstrom is very good, but he plays with the best scorer in the game today.

Considering Bergeron's body of work in all facets of the position, I think #11 is too low for him.

So Matthews has 1 good rookie year and he's not a top 3 center? Crazy

I think this is more like the 'norris trophy' nominations...where if you get points you are considering an elite center.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
So Matthews has 1 good rookie year and he's not a top 3 center? Crazy

I think this is more like the 'norris trophy' nominations...where if you get points you are considering an elite center.

I think you nailed it.

I caught some of the program on NHL Network where they did this countdown, and Mike Rupp went on and on about Matthews' '40 goals.'

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I found this article interesting on iPads and biometrics in hockey:

How the iBench system helped the Penguins win the Stanley Cup

If handed an iPad during a game, some of Phil Kessel’s previous coaches would have used it to thwack the back of the ex-Bruin’s head.

During the 2017 playoffs, the first in which NHL teams used the iBench system, then-Pittsburgh assistant Rick Tocchet regularly used one of the team’s tablets in games to show Kessel what he, his teammates, and opposing penalty kills were doing on the power play. Coach Mike Sullivan does not believe it was a coincidence the Penguins scored on 20.5 percent of their power plays, or that Kessel led all playoff performers with 11 man-up points.

“The main areas where we probably gained the most use out of it was special teams, because you get immediate feedback,†the two-time Stanley Cup-winning coach said of the technology. “You can make subtle adjustments on the fly. In the playoffs, you might only get two power plays a game. So if you have the ability to make an adjustment that might lead to an opportunity to score or generate a scoring chance, that could be the difference between winning and losing.â€

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/b...stanley-cup/SLL67m13JTL9AAG0DLgBAN/story.html

Ben Grimm

I can't stand the rain ☔
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Why Minnesota Wild coach Bruce Boudreau bought his own 'friggin' hockey team'

Bruce Boudreau is ubiquitous in hockey circles.
He was an extra in "Slap Shot." In fact, he even taught Paul Newman how to take one. Wayne Gretzky once cited Boudreau -- who averaged more than 100 points a season for the Toronto Marlboros of the Ontario Hockey Association -- one his favorite players as kid. Over four-plus decades, Boudreau has played for or coached 27 teams, including 763 career games behind the bench for the Washington Capitals, Anaheim Ducks and Minnesota Wild. In April, the Associated Press published an article analyzing "The Sixteen Degrees of Bruce Boudreau," connecting the 62-year-old to each of the 16 2017 Stanley Cup playoff teams.
http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...ld-coach-bruce-boudreau-now-junior-team-owner

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Are the Bruins even trying to land this Harvard free agent?

http://nypost.com/2017/08/21/rangers-a-finalist-for-harvard-stud-who-would-be-perfect-fit/

The Rangers are among the final two or three teams under consideration by Harvard free agent Alex Kerfoot, The Post has learned.

J.P. Barry, the 23-year-old center’s agent who confirmed the parties’ mutual interest, told The Post that Kerfoot likely would reach a decision by Tuesday following a weekend of reflection.

Kerfoot, a Hobey Baker finalist who recorded 45 points (16-29) for the Crimson last year, was originally selected by the Devils in the fifth round of the 2012 entry draft at 150th overall but decided to go the route of one-time teammate Jimmy Vesey and become a free agent after four years of college.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I don't see the fuss over Kerfoot. Small-ish center who finally broke thru in his senior year. Just turned 23. We have similar centers in the system already with Spooner ( 25 ) and Czarnik ( 24 ). I certainly wouldn't put him over JFK or T-Fred on the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad