NHL Around the NHL - Regular Season 2017-18

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
PITTSFORD, N.Y. — A person familiar with negotiations tells The Associated Press the Buffalo Sabres and Jack Eichel are discussing a contract extension that could run the NHL maximum eight years.

The person spoke on the condition of anonymity on Wednesday because the talks have been private since formal negotiations began a little over a month ago.

Sabres owner Terry Pegula declined to assess the status of negotiations except to say no deadline has been set and that both sides are committed to reaching a deal.

"I can tell you this, We want Jack and Jack wants to be in Buffalo," Pegula said during a news conference at the Buffalo Bills training camp site in suburban Rochester. Pegula also owns the Bills.

In a text to The AP, Eichel's agent Peter Fish wrote: "We are talking and I would say that we will be continuing to talk."

http://www.tsn.ca/report-eichel-sabres-in-talks-on-lengthy-deal-1.820661

Don't do it Jack! Take a bridge to UFA and get the hell out of Buffalo.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
PITTSFORD, N.Y. — A person familiar with negotiations tells The Associated Press the Buffalo Sabres and Jack Eichel are discussing a contract extension that could run the NHL maximum eight years.

So much for the offer sheet from Boston. :cry:

ickie*

Jun 18, 2017
Meh, I've seen him enough watching him play a lot to know he is NOT worth much more than Ryan Spooner.

he's a better player than brodin and the market for him was supposedly more than spooner. i would love the deal if it went down, but can't imagine the bruins wouldn't have to add a decently meaningful piece

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
he's a better player than brodin and the market for him was supposedly more than spooner. i would love the deal if it went down, but can't imagine the bruins wouldn't have to add a decently meaningful piece

He is? Because his ice-time and usage (4th on NYI last year, barely above Seidenberg who was 5th, he was mostly on the 3rd pair the handful of NYI games I seen say otherwise.

Now right here today, is the separation between the two players isn't massive, although Brodin is the better player. Then factor in the age difference (De Haan is two-years older) the fact that Brodin is locked up for 4 more seasons, whereas De Haan can walk as UFA next summer, puts Brodin's value ahead of De Haan a fair bit. Better player, younger, and with a better contract.

ickie*

Jun 18, 2017
He is? Because his ice-time and usage (4th on NYI last year, barely above Seidenberg who was 5th, he was mostly on the 3rd pair the handful of NYI games I seen say otherwise.

Now right here today, is the separation between the two players isn't massive, although Brodin is the better player. Then factor in the age difference (De Haan is two-years older) the fact that Brodin is locked up for 4 more seasons, whereas De Haan can walk as UFA next summer, puts Brodin's value ahead of De Haan a fair bit. Better player, younger, and with a better contract.

he's a better player than brodin

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
he's a better player than brodin

And he could be, I like both guys to be honest.

Brodin's age and contract status still make him the more valuable asset, as even if De Haan is better, the gap isn't big enough overcome the other two key factors.

ickie*

Jun 18, 2017
And he could be, I like both guys to be honest.

Brodin's age and contract status still make him the more valuable asset, as even if De Haan is better, the gap isn't big enough overcome the other two key factors.

even if in the most vaguely measurable way his value wasn't on par with brodin's reported price, it would be higher than a 1-1 for a very one dimensional forward in ryan spooner. defenseman that provide the steady, calm move-the-puck immediately type of d de haan plays are incredibly valuable with the way the nhl game is going rn.

and de haan is an exceptional defender. the goals above replacement model has been a very accurate predictor of a player's value and capacity to affect the outcome of games:

i've also seen quite a bit of brodin since he was 17 years old. he's a passenger player, i don't care for him. he's a reasonably good puck mover and has a big wingspan but he would be exposed as the guy meant to be carrying a pairing, i guarantee it.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
even if in the most vaguely measurable way his value wasn't on par with brodin's reported price, it would be higher than a 1-1 for a very one dimensional forward in ryan spooner. defenseman that provide the steady, calm move-the-puck immediately type of d de haan plays are incredibly valuable with the way the nhl game is going rn.

and de haan is an exceptional defender. the goals above replacement model has been a very accurate predictor of a player's value and capacity to affect the outcome of games:

i've also seen quite a bit of brodin since he was 17 years old. he's a passenger player, i don't care for him. he's a reasonably good puck mover and has a big wingspan but he would be exposed as the guy meant to be carrying a pairing, i guarantee it.

I thought Brodin's reported price was high for what he brings. And Spooner's value is debatable, I think some GMs like him, some have no time for him. Even me personally I'm not a fan, I really don't know what Garth Snow thinks of him.

You make good points on De Haan, I've always liked his game. Soild, steady, and well-rounded.

And agree that even though I also like Brodin, he's the complimentary player on a good pairing and isn't likely to be the type of guy to carry the load on a pairing, just isn't his game.

Bottom line, if the Bruins can find a way to move Spooner + for De Haan, I'm all for it depending on the "+". There are some prospects I'd consider, quite a few, but some are off-limits, If the "+" were draft picks, a 2nd is as high as I would go, I wouldn't move a 1st + Spooner for him, mostly based on his potential UFA status in a years time.

ickie*

Jun 18, 2017
I thought Brodin's reported price was high for what he brings. And Spooner's value is debatable, I think some GMs like him, some have no time for him. Even me personally I'm not a fan, I really don't know what Garth Snow thinks of him.

You make good points on De Haan, I've always liked his game. Soild, steady, and well-rounded.

And agree that even though I also like Brodin, he's the complimentary player on a good pairing and isn't likely to be the type of guy to carry the load on a pairing, just isn't his game.

Bottom line, if the Bruins can find a way to move Spooner + for De Haan, I'm all for it depending on the "+". There are some prospects I'd consider, quite a few, but some are off-limits, If the "+" were draft picks, a 2nd is as high as I would go, I wouldn't move a 1st + Spooner for him, mostly based on his potential UFA status in a years time.

i would do spooner and a small add for him. i might even do something like spooner and cehlarik for him if i'm me and not sweeney. thing that sucks with this organization rn is, they are stacked on the forward side, but too afraid to trade away any young forward with offensive upside for anything that isn't flashy.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Really shocked Fisher retired. He hadnt lost a step at all.

I`m always surprised when a player retires with something still left in the tank because I imagine to hang em` up in a game they`ve played since they could first walk has to be incredibly difficult.

He`s made his $$, not that his wife is hurting for cashola, seems like the two of them are one of those couples destined to enjoy the company of one another for years to come so bravo to him for being able to step away from the game while he still has his health.

Always liked him, one of those honest hockey players who played right on the ice, and from all I`ve read, lived right off the ice too

Here`s another nice story, not on Fisher

https://www.nhl.com/news/former-nhl...-clinic-to-help-dyslexic-children/c-290577280

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
i would do spooner and a small add for him. i might even do something like spooner and cehlarik for him if i'm me and not sweeney. thing that sucks with this organization rn is, they are stacked on the forward side, but too afraid to trade away any young forward with offensive upside for anything that isn't flashy.

I'd do Spooner + Cehlarik for De Haan. I like Cehlarik but among the group of left-shot wing prospects, I like Bjork, Debrusk, and Heinen more, and there isn't and won't be room for all of them moving forward, even if a couple end up playing their off-side, so of the 4 guys, Cehlarik is the one I'd be most likely to considering adding to the deal.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I'd do Spooner + Cehlarik for De Haan. I like Cehlarik but among the group of left-shot wing prospects, I like Bjork, Debrusk, and Heinen more, and there isn't and won't be room for all of them moving forward, even if a couple end up playing their off-side, so of the 4 guys, Cehlarik is the one I'd be most likely to considering adding to the deal.

I liked Cehlarik too but for me I think it will wind up being a case of too many kids who can play in the same sandbox and I`m not sure he`s got the game that projects higher than those you mentioned

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
A little surprised he decided to retire coming off a Cup finals. He still has game that's for sure. Wouldn't be shocked to see him in the Olympics. It'll be interesting to see who is named captain this season.

Hadn't though of the Olympic situation. You may be bang on with that. Fisher in my mind has terrific character similar to Bergy. Humble, unassuming, quiet but oh so effective leaders. He has enjoyed a very good career. Wish him well. Guessing he will be on tour in short order. :laugh:

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Atlantic Division Standings Prediction

There is still time for rosters to shift a bit, but I'm bored.

What do you predict the Atlantic Division standings will look like this upcoming season?

Does either Wild Card come from the Atlantic?

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Does either Wild Card come from the Atlantic?

Like the Central Division the previous year, I'm not sure the Metropolitan will be as formidable this season. We've seen how the loss of 'glue guys' affected the Bruins, so I don't underestimate Pittsburgh losing Cullen and Bonino. Plus the two-headed monster in net - a key cog in their Cup run - is gone.

The Caps have had some upheaval this off season and I don't see another President's Trophy for them.

The Rangers' window is still open, but are they really legit Cup contenders?

Columbus probably wasn't a fluke, but with that franchise you never know. And how good will Panarin be without Kane?

Not that I expect any of those teams to miss the playoffs, but I think there may be more balance this season in the East.

I think Tampa makes it in this year, and I don't think Montreal is the disaster we all want them to be. So I can see 4 teams coming out of the Atlantic again.

Sharp Shooting Neely

May 30, 2007
Nova Scotia
Whether you love him or hate him as a player what Crosby has and continues to do off the ice shows time and time again what his true character is all about. He is back in his hometown once again while celebrating his 30th birthday and making unannounced visits with the cup at children and veteran hospitals and local markets. He will also play a staring role in two civic parades tomorrow. One will be in Halifax and the other wil be held at his old QMJHL town of Rimouski. Always giving back.

"He did it for the kids. It wasn't for the media, it wasn't for staff. It was just for the patients. He wanted low key and low key is what we did — as low key as you can when you're carrying the Stanley Cup through the health centre," Cox said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/sidney-crosby-stanley-cup-halifax-cole-harbour-1.4237296

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Whether you love him or hate him as a player what Crosby has and continues to do off the ice shows time and time again what his true character is all about. He is back in his hometown once again while celebrating his 30th birthday and making unannounced visits with the cup at children and veteran hospitals and local markets. He will also play a staring role in two civic parades tomorrow. One will be in Halifax and the other wil be held at his old QMJHL town of Rimouski. Always giving back.

"He did it for the kids. It wasn't for the media, it wasn't for staff. It was just for the patients. He wanted low key and low key is what we did — as low key as you can when you're carrying the Stanley Cup through the health centre," Cox said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/sidney-crosby-stanley-cup-halifax-cole-harbour-1.4237296

I'm a Sidney Crosby fan, and he is one of my favorite players to watch. Champion both on the ice and off.

NHL Network experts ranked the top 10 goalies in the league. Rask didn't make the list.

https://www.nhl.com/news/top-10-goalies-nhl-top-players/c-290471694

I caught some of the program on NHL Network.

Though it's based on this past season (hence Talbot higher than Hank), I'd still have included Tuukka.

EJ Hradek was suggesting Matt Murray should have been #1, and I'd be OK with that.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
NHL Network experts ranked the top 10 goalies in the league. Rask didn't make the list.

https://www.nhl.com/news/top-10-goalies-nhl-top-players/c-290471694

quite a garbage list imho... goaltending is a position where you often don't know from month to month if a guy can be depended on or not... sometimes you don't know game from game

sure if you want to list who had decent seasons last year this list is ok...

but listing the best goalie in the nhl you need to identify guys that you most expect to go out this year and be great because they were great in the past... and put out a very consistent performance where they play great

carey price at number 1... ok... but he hasn't won anything. his backups often put up very similar numbers... I'm prepared to say hes put up some really amazing performances but I don't think you can say a guy is number 1 until hes been number 1 at cup time and Olympics time and world cup time on a consistent basic

Brandon holtby at number 2... he has had a few great seasons.... I am ok with his fans thinking hes hot stuff...

sergei brobovsky at number 3... really? really? really? 2 of the past 3 years his gaa has been around 2.7 and his save % around .913... but yeah he had a good year last year

matt murry at number 4... has he even outplayed marc andre fleury on the penguins? seams fleury took the starting job entering this years playoffs

devan dubynk has has great results in minny... but a couple of their other goalies in the last 3 years put up outstanding numbers too... that team protects its goaltender. to be honest I thought josh harding looked better than dubnyk

Johnathon quick... finally someone that has won something... and clearly outperforms his backups... id probably put him top 3 on any list I was making

cam Talbot... last season after 40 games he had lost his starting job to nilson... I mean come on... but sure last year he got on a hot streak and had relatively decent numbers. could he lose his starting job this year... absolutely

henrick lunqvist... the king... the model of consistientcy... hasn't won a cup but has a lot of interntional success... id put him up there with quick and price in my top 3

martin jones... guy got some decent numbers without actually winning anything for 1 season...

pekka renna... last season was a bounce back... before that he look rather cooked

now tukka rask and corey Schneider didn't have strong seasons last year but you look at 1 5 year sample and these guys should be top 5 here... their numbers are as good/better than anyone

corey Crawford might not have outstanding numbers but he wins... winning is what goalies are supposed to do

if this list was done last year ben bishop would be high for the author... but that shows us the nature of how stupid it is to list goalies based on 1 year of results. craig Anderson actually gets very hot at times and if he didn't take half of this year off he would probably be on this list

the goalies I trust to play net on my cup contending team would be...

1/price
2/quick
3/lunqvist
4/holtby
5/rask
6/Schneider
7/Crawford
8/murray
9/bobrovsky
10/dubnyk

let a guy have more than 1 good season before I'm putting him in a list like this or at least put a cup win on his resume if you are trying to rush him up the list

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
^^^^ Some good points and I like your list.

Murray was actually injured in warm-ups before Game 1 of the playoffs, and Fleury was spectacular, including a Game 7 shutout on the road in Washington. I didn't agree with Sullivan pulling him, but that's why I'm sitting here typing and he's somewhere on a yacht sipping from the Stanley Cup. ;)

I wouldn't put Rinne on the list, but the media love affair with Nashville is still going. He had some superb moments in the playoffs, but how much of that was due to that top 4? We know how good the Preds were at home with last change, but Rinne got lit up in Pittsburgh, partly do to the bottom pairing getting exposed.

As for playing on my Cup contending team, after the playoff he had, I'm not sold on Bobrovsky.

But I'd definitely take Corey Crawford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad