Around the NHL: PTO Season Becomes Waiver Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I don't know. Either this site allows politics or it doesn't. Because I'm pretty sure if I countered this claim it would be removed.

I don't care which way we go but lets keep it consistent.

Yea. Come on everyone. Some of these comments on Florida are a bit egregious. And honestly, completely false.

And anyone countering them would invoke a “no politics” disclaimer

And I say that as someone who doesn’t even like DeSantis or a lot of Florida politics

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If y'all want to comment on the issues of attending fans throwing things onto the ice, that's fine. Drifting off into much else though is going to start having more things deleted.

Fans in a lot of places, including Sabre fans and Buffalo sports fans in general, have thrown stuff on the ice/turf of various sporting events. It's happened. It will likely happen again. That has ZERO to do with worthiness of a location to have a team, the people who live in a place, etc....

We clear?

Good. Moving on.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
AND they need a new Arena to be viable.

If I'm a NHL owner who bought for 200M or less, I'm at least listening at this point. I mean, most NHL teams lose money. If people are willing to ante up 1B for Ottawa, I have to think nearly every team has record valuations now.
I doubt NHL teams really lose money the way that is claimed. If they were money losers, after all, would they really all be worth a billion dollars?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

The next CBA will definitely have a fight over player medical freedom.

BUT can we stop with the bullshit narrative that the timeline of events was (1) Jack got hurt and asked for the ADR surgery, (2)the Sabres refused and (3) then Jack asked to be traded.

When in reality Jacked asked for a trade a year prior to the injury/surgery request. That he still wanted to be traded even if the Sabres approved the surgery. So the Sabres understandably didn’t want to take on any of the risk involved for a player who didn’t want to be here.

I know the “evil team refuses player surgery request” angle is the sexier story. But thats not the reality of the situation. This article also really puts into focus what a shitty situation Jack put the Sabres in. There were very few teams open to the surgery or owners willing to take on the risk.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

BUT can we stop with the bullshit narrative that the timeline of events was (1) Jack got hurt and asked for the ADR surgery, (2)the Sabres refused and (3) then Jack asked to be traded.

When in reality Jacked asked for a trade a year prior to the injury/surgery request. That he still wanted to be traded even if the Sabres approved the surgery. So the Sabres understandably didn’t want to take on any of the risk involved for a player who didn’t want to be here.

I know the “evil team refuses player surgery request” angle is the sexier story. But thats not the reality of the situation. This article also really puts into focus what a shitty situation Jack put the Sabres in. There were very few teams open to the surgery or owners willing to take on the risk.

Good stuff.

As an aside, I wonder if he showed up with the broken ribs to training camp after the lockdown due to falling off a belaying line while rock climbing. Because coming into another season unable to perform due to an off-ice "training injury" certainly wasn't an endearing moment.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland

Unfortunately, I think that will continue to be the narrative regardless of the facts.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
AND they need a new Arena to be viable.

If I'm a NHL owner who bought for 200M or less, I'm at least listening at this point. I mean, most NHL teams lose money. If people are willing to ante up 1B for Ottawa, I have to think nearly every team has record valuations now.
It sure if you (or anybody else on here) knows - but can you take out a sort of equity loan on a franchise like that? Or would that just be bringing on a minority owner?

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Eichel didn't ask for a trade though. In his own words, he simply said if they wanted to go through another rebuild, he didn't want to be there.

They didn't go through a rebuild. They signed Taylor Hall.

The next season they finished dead last again, Eichel got injured and all that drama happened.

So yes, that isn't some narrative. It's how it happened. Eichel wasn't done with Buffalo until they refused to allow him to get the surgery he wanted. If you keep watching that same interview, Eichel even offered to return to the team and play if they did allow him to get the surgery he wanted, and the team declined.

Reinhart publicly said he didn't want to go through another rebuild. It was never considered a 'asking to be traded'. Same with Risto.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN

Eichel didn't ask for a trade though. In his own words, he simply said if they wanted to go through another rebuild, he didn't want to be there.

The next season they finished dead last again, Eichel got injured and all that drama happened.

So yes, that isn't some narrative. It's how it happened. Eichel wasn't done with Buffalo until they refused to allow him to get the surgery he wanted. If you keep watching that same interview, Eichel even offered to return to the team and play if they did allow him to get the surgery he wanted, and the team declined.

Reinhart publicly said he didn't want to go through another rebuild. It was never considered a 'asking to be traded'. Same with Risto.

I mean that is asking for a trade. Taylor Hall wasn't this miracle savior that was taking us to the playoffs. It was even rumored that he signed under the premise that is the playoffs didn't happen he would be moved to Boston.

Also, I highly doubt he would come out and say "yeah, I requested a trade, so what" he was coached up on what to say and it helps his image to say he didn't request a trade, he wanted to work through it and the team went in a different direction. I mean look at the heat Dubois is taking from requesting trades, dude is a leper.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005

It's been reported that he asked for a trade the summer before they signed Hall, but management convinced him to wait it out. Very much before the neck injury.

Reactions: sabremike

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
He was willing to come back so he could be showcased for a trade (which as you can imagine went over real well with the organization).

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Good stuff.

As an aside, I wonder if he showed up with the broken ribs to training camp after the lockdown due to falling off a belaying line while rock climbing. Because coming into another season unable to perform due to an off-ice "training injury" certainly wasn't an endearing moment.
Yeah, Jack’s explanation on how the problems with his neck started was quite vague.

From the article …….

And then he injured his neck.

Eichel can't pinpoint exactly when the issues began. "A few years ago, I started dealing with some symptoms," he said. "It wasn't necessarily something that was going to keep me out of the lineup, but I was dealing with it and playing through it."

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Eichel confirmed one long-standing rumour: that he asked for a trade following the COVID-shortened 2019-20 season. He had a terrific start to the year, was in the Hart conversation for a while. But the Sabres faltered and fell below the bubble-playoff cutline. Then-GM Jason Botterill was fired…..

….“That conversation that happened a year ago probably had something to do with the process being so difficult.”

To know your spin is BS just requires reading the article that accompanied the video.

Oh btw. We all knew Sam and Risto asked for trades due to the rebuild. No one was daft enough to think knowing the reason they asked changes the fact they asked.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad