Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
What a shit hole the state of Florida is, why throw shit on the ice

Throwing things onto the ice at a Stanley Cup Finals game is way, way down the list. And as someone who was at Sabre games in the playoffs watching people sling full paper cups of beer at guys like Bruce Shoebottom, there are plenty of WNYers who have not only done this, they spawned another generation that is cool with winging an adult novelty at the other team.

Reactions: MOGlLNY

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Throwing things onto the ice at a Stanley Cup Finals game is way, way down the list. And as someone who was at Sabre games in the playoffs watching people sling full paper cups of beer at guys like Bruce Shoebottom, there are plenty of WNYers who have not only done this, they spawned another generation that is cool with winging an adult novelty at the other team.
1686499005363.jpeg

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Seriously, I can't be the only one on this board who's been rooting for Vegas this series. I don't have the animosity towards Eichel that many of you seem to, and Florida has more than its share of scummy unlikable players.

(Also: as a gay man I cannot in good conscience root for anything Florida-related at the moment. Or Texas in the previous round. Yes, my rooting interest is in part based on where I can safely make out in public. Sue me 😂)

But honestly...I'm mostly rooting for a short series. I dislike both teams, and would rather just move on to off-season news.
To be fair, almost all the players on the Panthers participated in pride night, and Tkachuk had some nice things to say about it. Also, apparently the Panthers were the first NHL club to celebrate pride night. That made it easier for me to root for them, haha.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Throwing stuff onto the field should never happen, regardless of the sport or fan base. The players are human and it can spark a Malace in the palace or worse, injury. Having spent 10 years in Florida, every sporting event was married by fights or this stuff and it has just delved worse and worse. Just my opinion, not looking for affirmation.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
To be fair, almost all the players on the Panthers participated in pride night, and Tkachuk had some nice things to say about it. Also, apparently the Panthers were the first NHL club to celebrate pride night. That made it easier for me to root for them, haha.

I don't have anything against (most of) the players, the organization as a whole, or the fanbase writ large, but I still don't particularly want to see any Florida teams win anything.

As far as individual players go, though, I don't want to root for any team that has Nick Cousins on it.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Then following the apparent logic from this page, New York is a shit hole state.

I think it's safe to say that how fans act during a sports game hardly reflects at all on how enjoyable a state is to live in.
If throwing things on the ice is bad, I wonder how they viewed the riots in Montreal and Vancouver? I guess Montreal and Vancouver are something worse than Florida 🤔

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
My HS had an Australian exchange student in the early '80's and during a field trip to see the local baseball team with the class, she was appalled by the lyrics to "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" being sung during the 7th inning stretch.
When I first started my career, we had a "sister factory" near the Welsh/English border (since shuttered). Annually, they'd send a small contingent over for a week for a conference / info exchange (this was back in the days when there was still a couple seconds delay on Trans-Atlantic telephone calls, long distance was billed accordingly, and conference calls were still somewhat rare) so it wasn't as much of a boondoggle as you might think it would be today. Being on the Carolina coast, and where beach dancing had it's origin, the hotel they stayed at had numerous 8x11.5" (~A4 for them) paper handbills tacked up on the lobby & meeting room entrance bulletin boards advertising "Free Shag Lessons" / "Free Shagging Lessons" Wednesday evenings at 8 PM. Those Brits took every one of those flyers home with them to show their colleagues and families.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
If throwing things on the ice is bad, I wonder how they viewed the riots in Montreal and Vancouver? I guess Montreal and Vancouver are something worse than Florida 🤔

Florida is a trendy state/thing to shit on these days. Anyone can pick out the worst of a state and be negative. I could easily list the reasons why I chose to move away from NY 25 years ago...but why bother? Those reasons were personal to me, and don't apply to many others. I could also list the reasons why I wouldn't want to live in many parts of Florida, but I really like the place I visit and will retire in a few years, so who cares about the other places in FL that I wouldn't like. Same logic applies to everywhere around the country/world.

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
My HS had an Australian exchange student in the early '80's and during a field trip to see the local baseball team with the class, she was appalled by the lyrics to "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" being sung during the 7th inning stretch.
My wife is German and I was talking to her about the alternative meaning here, which she didn’t know. She asked the same “don’t people root for a sports team?”

To me that sounds like a creative fundraising opportunity.

Last edited:

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I work with a Russian (St. Petersburg) woman by birth. Wonderful person, very bright, solid leader and team builder in her role. She was in a meeting describing the accolades one of our mutual colleagues received, and continues to receive, for his expertise and contributions. She repeatedly described his recognitions as "golden showers" to the snickers of those Americans in attendance both in person, and on the phone.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
I remember when someone threw his shoe at Shoebottom :D

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
looks like the Sens have been sold for 1BN! 👀

AND they need a new Arena to be viable.

If I'm a NHL owner who bought for 200M or less, I'm at least listening at this point. I mean, most NHL teams lose money. If people are willing to ante up 1B for Ottawa, I have to think nearly every team has record valuations now.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
AND they need a new Arena to be viable.

If I'm a NHL owner who bought for 200M or less, I'm at least listening at this point. I mean, most NHL teams lose money. If people are willing to ante up 1B for Ottawa, I have to think nearly every team has record valuations now.

Since the Ottawa deal is both for a land development where the current arena is and also development in a downtown corridor, do those criteria meet any other team? Because they probably don't.

Reactions: Ehran

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Florida is a trendy state/thing to shit on these days. Anyone can pick out the worst of a state and be negative. I could easily list the reasons why I chose to move away from NY 25 years ago...but why bother? Those reasons were personal to me, and don't apply to many others. I could also list the reasons why I wouldn't want to live in many parts of Florida, but I really like the place I visit and will retire in a few years, so who cares about the other places in FL that I wouldn't like. Same logic applies to everywhere around the country/world.
That's not fair to say. People have been hating and shitting on Florida for decades, it's nothing new.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022

meh, people use these things as an excuse to riot. The people rioting in Vancouver are probably 1% hockey fans and the 99% rest of them anarchists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad