Around the NHL: PTO Season Becomes Waiver Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
So it was interesting to hear the Kings are holding salary on Provorov for the Jackets. Moving Walker clears an NHL roster spot for Clarke (or maybe Spence) and moving Grans shuffles out a guy now blocked by the likely re-signing of Gavrikov.

Still looks to me like they need to shed one more salary to be comfortable with the cap. They've got about $13M to play with and still need to extend Gavrikov (rumors are putting that in the $6-7M AAV range), a starting goalie and four RFA forwards. (Also need to factor in a ~$1M cap hit for their 7th damn.....gotta think Bjornfot has the inside edge).

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Still looks to me like they need to shed one more salary to be comfortable with the cap. They've got about $13M to play with and still need to extend Gavrikov (rumors are putting that in the $6-7M AAV range), a starting goalie and four RFA forwards. (Also need to factor in a ~$1M cap hit for their 7th damn.....gotta think Bjornfot has the inside edge).

I'm assuming it's going to be one of Arvidsson or Iafallo from how Kings fans have talked. I doubt they have too hard of a time finding a home for one or the other when the time comes.

Reactions: Zman5778

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
As @Beerz already posted. Jack’s two way game was very good the year before his injury.
I’d argue his two way game did take a step, but this year (and especially in the playoffs) it’s gone from slightly above average to near-elite. But it might come down to semantics in this argument.

Reactions: joshjull

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
rewatch alex p captain, the tomahawk and run away Slash on draisaitl , one of the most cowardly moves beside. stone multiple injury attempt slew foots to take out players better than them.. oh and stone running away as well...
great leaders.. dripping w puss and sarcasm..
i like violence..i thought gudas hits well and barbashev returned well ..

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
rewatch alex p captain, the tomahawk and run away Slash on draisaitl , one of the most cowardly moves beside. stone multiple injury attempt slew foots to take out players better than them.. oh and stone running away as well...
great leaders.. dripping w puss and sarcasm..
i like violence..i thought gudas hits well and barbashev returned well ..
Virtually all players play that way in the playoffs. Tampa Bay has a full team that plays that way.

If that’s the leadership criteria, no one would be capable of being a leader.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
I can’t help but think that the Eichel we’re seeing now in the playoffs just wouldn’t have existed in Buffalo. Bruce Cassidy has done an excellent job transforming his two-way game, something that wasn’t worked on enough in Buffalo.

Besides that, even if Buffalo did have a “tougher” coach like Cassidy, Eichel had so much power/leverage during his tenure here, he could’ve forced the coach out. Not saying he would’ve, but it certainly did seem like we treated Eichel with kid gloves for the majority of his time here. Say what you will about tanking, but there’s no doubt that bottoming out for two years just to get him (and Reinhart) gave him incredible leverage.

I’m definitely feeling a mix of anger and jealousy towards Vegas/Eichel right now, but the trade may have been the best thing for all parties involved. It definitely isn’t a good look for Buffalo seeing RoR and (likely) Eichel go on to win cups shortly after we trade them though - I’m sure the opposing fanbases would make that trade again 100/100 times knowing it results in a cup for them.
Eichel *never* wanted to be in Buffalo, and always thought he was too good for the team and the town. And you're right -- this Eichel would never have existed in Buffalo. He got the money, did his time, and forced his way out. It would have worked out the same, with or without the neck injury.

This is the context in which Adams makes it his priority to build around people who want to be here. All the mercs that TM brought in might have coalesced into a good team elsewhere, but they didn't want to be in Buffalo. Eichel, Kane, ROR, Reino, Risto, Ullmark -- all with talent just sucking down Pegulabucks. Biding their time.

We deserve better.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
There's no chance Eichel wins the Conn Smythe, right? I really don't care what the guy does anymore, but that would just be so Buffalo.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
There's no chance Eichel wins the Conn Smythe, right? I really don't care what the guy does anymore, but that would just be so Buffalo.
there's absolutely a chance seeing as Bob is bottoming out and Vegas is steamrolling Tkachuk too.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
there's absolutely a chance seeing as Bob is bottoming out and Vegas is steamrolling Tkachuk too.
Eichel has 0 GWG. Haven't watched Eichel play but hard to see him getting the Hart without a game winning goal in hand.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Eichel *never* wanted to be in Buffalo, and always thought he was too good for the team and the town. And you're right -- this Eichel would never have existed in Buffalo. He got the money, did his time, and forced his way out. It would have worked out the same, with or without the neck injury.

This is the context in which Adams makes it his priority to build around people who want to be here. All the mercs that TM brought in might have coalesced into a good team elsewhere, but they didn't want to be in Buffalo. Eichel, Kane, ROR, Reino, Risto, Ullmark -- all with talent just sucking down Pegulabucks. Biding their time.

We deserve better.
We deserve to be exactly where we are.

Reactions: CaliSabresfan24

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
They weigh the finals very heavily in that choice, while there is no run-away favorite, he is in the mix. But there are still games to be played and he has gotten a lot of praise with the way he handled the hit and came back and assisted on a goal his first shift. If he comes out thursday with a 3 point night, I think they start to shift the conversation more towards him.

Right now I think Vegas (the money) has Marchessault as the front-runner. I'd put Eichel and maybe even Hill as a second tier.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Would love to hear the “logic“ on why the fans deserve shitty teams here.
Maybe they read the posts here of people so drunk on koolaid they’ve talked themselves into wasting tens of millions in cap space while the league is in a cap crunch so they can continue icing below replacement goaltenders and an anchor at #4 D.

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
#32 may shock some of you

Attachments

• NHL broadcasters.jpg
    NHL broadcasters.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 4
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad