Around the NHL: PTO Season Becomes Waiver Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
So....... I guess its all our fault .......

Eichel is a nice humble guy after all......

And Carrier obviously doesn't like the fans in our building.

Tell me again why I should ever root for that (Vegas) franchise???

LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: brian_griffin

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
It goes to show that getting hot at the right time is so important.

Last year they were the President's Trophy winners and got swept by TB in the second round.

This year they are the WC2 team and are a game away from the SCFs in large part because Bob has been standing on his head and playing significantly better than he did during the regular season.

Random things like getting hot and various forms of luck (injury luck, luck luck, lucky calls, etc.) are factors in how things play out.
I think you can say that about a lot of recent SC winners. They get "hot" - i.e.; play extremely well, all on the same page - at the right time.

The Blues come to mind. The Avalanche were totally focused and committed last season as well. A dash of luck helps but it really comes down to consistent committed effort and near mistake free execution.

Seizing opportunity. Sacrifice as well.

Reactions: Jim Bob

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Do you think there is not a miss call or a wrong call florida can point to at any point this year, that cost them a game? Every team gets a couple bad or missed calls every year which affect the outcome of a game. It is unfortunately part of the game. If we go back to change the kicked goal call I am sure florida has a call at some point they would argue should be changed, which puts them back in.

This is why it is important to have a good regular season, so it doesn't come down to one blown call. If it does, that's still on the team for not being better.

that one was so blatant, and overturned by Toronto when it shouldn't have been. That was the single most egregious call of the year

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Florida has no business in these playoffs

An obvious kick is why they are in. Bettman stole our rightful spot so he can further his southern strategy
Yes, because Buffalo is the only team that has to deal with circumstances that "held" them out of the playoffs. There's no way that Florida had calls go against them through the year, that impacted the amount of points they could've had.

Also, by the NHL's definition of a kick, which involves a player's foot, it's not a kick.

Florida very much deserves to be in the playoff just as much as Buffalo didn't deserve to be in the playoffs.

Reactions: KiwiGriff

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I know Florida was extremely inconsistent during the regular season. But they absolutely stifled us in 3 out of 4 games. The one where they didn’t they were missing Barkov and Bennet.

If they played everyone else as well as they played us, they would have been one of the best teams in the league. Now they are, and it’s showing.
Bolded: You mean like last year where they were the President's Trophy winner, and then they traded for their playoff game changer?

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
If you're not firmly in the playoffs by game eighty, you don't deserve anything. Because two hockey games don't prove anything.

If you're not sure on April 1, you're lucky to be there.

Reactions: KiwiGriff

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
That is so far from the truth. ROR was not helping us win a cup, he would have wasted away here. Imagine judging the success of a trade solely on if someone in the trade won a cup in a team sport. This is why win-win trades exist. STL won when they got a cup. Sabres win because they got a 1C out of it.
ROR wasn't going to CARRY us to a cup, especially with the team we had, but to think he wasn't going to help us win a cup after watching him play for us, is just being ignorant to the fact he was night to night one of, if not, our best players consistently. It's also ignoring the absolute load he had to shoulder for the team because of our incompetent coaching.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
ROR wasn't going to CARRY us to a cup, especially with the team we had, but to think he wasn't going to help us win a cup after watching him play for us, is just being ignorant to the fact he was night to night one of, if not, our best players consistently. It's also ignoring the absolute load he had to shoulder for the team because of our incompetent coaching.
The last part is exactly why he wasn't helping us win a cup. No one is ignoring how good he was for us.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
thank big head incompetence, hiring two of the worst coaches in team history in succession
3 of the worst coaches. Bylsma was a non-engaging coach that had a very limited range what he can coach. Hell, one could make a case of actually quality coaching, we had 5 consecutive bad coaches, but Nolan usually gets a pass.

Rolston - > Nolan - > Bylsma - > Housley - > Krueger...

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Yes, because Buffalo is the only team that has to deal with circumstances that "held" them out of the playoffs. There's no way that Florida had calls go against them through the year, that impacted the amount of points they could've had.

Also, by the NHL's definition of a kick, which involves a player's foot, it's not a kick.

Florida very much deserves to be in the playoff just as much as Buffalo didn't deserve to be in the playoffs.
You're also not allowed to direct the puck into the net with anything but your stick.

Meaning: you can't push the puck into the net by hitting it with your shin like Fasching did.

The video review was correct that it wasn't a kick, but they were wrong that it was a good goal. It's not legal to knock the puck in with your shin.

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Jamie Benn just got a 5 and a game misconduct, crosscheck to the head/neck

Reactions: BFLO

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
So f***ing dumb from Benn- looks like he was trying to give a subtle extra shot behind the play, but instead a) went full force b) right at the ref’s feet. Uh, everyone saw you do that extra dumb shit Jamie.

Reminds me of the student who went full double birds at another student in my class the other day, just really feeling it in the front row with me staring at him. His excuse is that he’s 10, not sure about Captain dumbass over there.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
the playoffs showing time and time again how much trading a for a supposedly great goalie is worth....Bob was looked as a massive cap dump a moment ago and Oettiinger was untouchable according to Dallas fans lmao. Get some defensive depth Sabres and we are set for the future. Goalies are never worth trading anything of high value for.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
At least we’ll get to use the Eichel/Reinhart tandem bicycle picture again in the cup finals.

Ralph finished last with like…all the good players

the playoffs showing time and time again how much trading a for a supposedly great goalie is worth....Bob was looked as a massive cap dump a moment ago and Oettiinger was untouchable according to Dallas fans lmao. Get some defensive depth Sabres and we are set for the future. Goalies are never worth trading anything of high value for.

You also can’t, as a plan, go with the cheapest leftover option available. we‘ve watched that for two years not two rounds,

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
At least we’ll get to use the Eichel/Reinhart tandem bicycle picture again in the cup finals.

Ralph finished last with like…all the good players

You also can’t, as a plan, go with the cheapest leftover option available. we‘ve watched that for two years not two rounds,
UPL and Comrie would roll over teams with Vegas roster who has the scraps as all 3 of their goalies just have actual team that plays defense in front of them inflates their save pct because they aren't giving up stupid chances. Just look at Comrie's numbers with Winnipeg as a backup last season. Not saying that goalies aren't useless but trading any of our big prospects and picks is a joke.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I really like all of Vegas defenseman. Would love to trade for any of those guys except Petro

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It shows how volatile the position of goaltender is - a single guy can help carry a team for a time, but team responsibility can help an average guy look good.

Reactions: NotABadPeriod

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
You know, I think it's a good sign when even though we're seeing our two former main core pieces going on to battle for the cup. That I really am not playing "well that could've been us" in my head. It just was never going to work here considering the structure we had with those two as our #1 and #2 pieces.

I have confidence in where this team is being built and am happy.

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad