Around the NHL: Part XVIII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The western conference is going to be a war to make the playoffs. Going into the season, Nashville, San Jose and Calgary were thought of as playoff teams. They would not make the playoffs if the season ended today. Vegas too. They are in the last wild card beating Calgary last night.

Toronto and Tampa are struggling in the East. They are not in playoff positions right now.

So many teams with huge commitments are struggling. How do those teams change their rosters?

Jimmy Vesey has two assists this season in 17 games. That’s it. That 3rd in 2021 looks like a steal. The Rangers weren’t getting more than a 3rd for Vesey in February 2020 with him getting 10 points this season.

Reactions: leetch99

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The western conference is going to be a war to make the playoffs. Going into the season, Nashville, San Jose and Calgary were thought of as playoff teams. They would not make the playoffs if the season ended today. Vegas too. They are in the last wild card beating Calgary last night.

Toronto and Tampa are struggling in the East. They are not in playoff positions right now.

So many teams with huge commitments are struggling. How do those teams change their rosters?

Jimmy Vesey has two assists this season in 17 games. That’s it. That 3rd in 2021 looks like a steal. The Rangers weren’t getting more than a 3rd for Vesey in February 2020 with him getting 10 points this season.

I'd be pretty comfortable saying at least 4 of the 6 teams you mentioned are making the playoffs. We're 1/4 of the way in.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Remember when some people said he was better than Hank.

He was always such a strange case to me.

For years it felt like we always heard about how great he was, and how he was the next great NHL goalie.

But then his apprenticeship in Vancouver kept dragging on.

Then it was supposed to happen when he went to NJ. And the early results weren’t bad, but it never quite seemed to match the hype either.

Then the fade started.

In the end, Schneider felt like a band you heard about for years, only to find him less than advertised when you finally had a chance to see him.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Came across this 1987 melee between the Wings & Sabres.... Nasty/dirty Probert punch just after the 3:20 mark... Announcer predicted it:

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I'm sorry but other than Hayley Wickenheiser, this might be THE worst NHL Hall induction year ever....seriously.

Guy Carbonneau? Really? I watched him his whole career...he was a good player...that's it...nothing more nothing less. Ridiculous that he is in the Hall.

I'll go as far as saying that as much as I love and admire our former stud Dman Zubov who was a huge part of our '94 Cup winning team, he doesn't come close to checking all the boxes for me to be a Hall of Famer. Maybe that offends some peeps in here but so be it. He just isn't a Hall of Famer to me.

If there was a Hall of the Very Good...sure sign me up for being a Zubov supporter but his stats tho quite good are far far from Hall worthy. I dunno, the qualifications to get into the Hall in the NHL just like what has occurred in baseball are really watered down lately and it's kind of laughable who is getting inducted lately and this year in particular takes the cake as far as I'm concerned.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I'm sorry but other than Hayley Wickenheiser, this might be THE worst NHL Hall induction year ever....seriously.

Guy Carbonneau? Really? I watched him his whole career...he was a good player...that's it...nothing more nothing less. Ridiculous that he is in the Hall.

I'll go as far as saying that as much as I love and admire our former stud Dman Zubov who was a huge part of our '94 Cup winning team, he doesn't come close to checking all the boxes for me to be a Hall of Famer. Maybe that offends some peeps in here but so be it. He just isn't a Hall of Famer to me.

If there was a Hall of the Very Good...sure sign me up for being a Zubov supporter but his stats tho quite good are far far from Hall worthy. I dunno, the qualifications to get into the Hall in the NHL just like what has occurred in baseball are really watered down lately and it's kind of laughable who is getting inducted lately and this year in particular takes the cake as far as I'm concerned.

Agree. Neither belong in HOF.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Well looks like Paul Maclean is in Columbus as an assistant to torts.... wish we could have gotten him

Deleted member 23124

I have to agree....I am also a Habs fan and I never thought much of him during his playing days.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

Hockey Hall of Fame has become a joke. They let anyone and their mother in.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005

Zubov is 19th in points and 20th in point per game for defensemen all time.

In his "era" (the years he played from '92-'09) the D point totals go like this: Lidstrom-937, Zubov-771, Leetch-697, Niedermeyer-691, Blake-681. For the decades of the '90s and '00s as a whole he's 4th in points.

He did never did have the one year where he won a bunch of awards that the HOF usually needs. But his career stats are pretty obviously elite.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I like Zubov and think his career is HOF worthy?

First ballet HOF? Eh, probably not. But at the end of the day, that's not really a make or break issue for me.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
I like Zubov and think his career is HOF worthy?

First ballet HOF? Eh, probably not. But at the end of the day, that's not really a make or break issue for me.

I think he made it on the 7th ballot so he's def not a 1st ballot guy.

Though this years class is so meh that if it was his 1st year he might have made it by default.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think he made it on the 7th ballot so he's def not a 1st ballot guy.

Though this years class is so meh that if it was his 1st year he might have made it by default.

If so, that's my bad. I thought this was year one.

As far as his play goes, I think Zubov's strength was the relative level of consistency he produced. He was never really one of the very top defensemen in a given year, but he hovered around the lower half of the top 10, or at least top 15 for a sustained period of time.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
If so, that's my bad. I thought this was year one.

As far as his play goes, I think Zubov's strength was the relative level of consistency he produced. He was never really one of the very top defensemen in a given year, but he hovered around the lower half of the top 10, or at least top 15 for a sustained period of time.

Yeah when your career overlaps with the Bourques and Leetchs of the world and then Lidstrom it's very unlikely you are going to ever be the very top. But he was always up near the top. He spent most of his prime on those great Dallas teams with Hitchcock which was great for winning but not great for scoring the points needed for hardware.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Cale Makar is leading all rookies in scoring by an 8 point gap and also is tied for second among all D in the league in scoring. 1/4 of the way through the season, but his numbers shouldn’t suffer when Landeskog and Rantanen return to the PP unit either. Only Carlson, who is having an insane season, is ahead of him.

Reactions: Kallio

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Yeah when your career overlaps with the Bourques and Leetchs of the world and then Lidstrom it's very unlikely you are going to ever be the very top. But he was always up near the top. He spent most of his prime on those great Dallas teams with Hitchcock which was great for winning but not great for scoring the points needed for hardware.

He was also a guy who really put a more complete package together a little later. It was really in the latter half of his second year and third year in Dallas that he hit that all-around plateau that took his game to another level.

Up to that point, even Dallas nearly moved him a few times. Ultimately they didn’t, and that worked out very well for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad